• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Europa Universalis IV - Development Diary 7th of March 2023 - All Blue

Hello and welcome to another Development Diary! Today we will be talking about the new, yet undisclosed content for Europa Universalis IV: Domination, the new expansion that was announced yesterday!

We are very excited to show you the final features that we will include. But let's start by addressing some of the countries that may be on the list of what could be considered Early Modern Great Powers, the main theme of Domination, and that will not receive new content in this expansion. First of all, you may have noticed (and widely requested) new content to be included for two of the ‘historical winners’ in the Middle East during this time period, the Gunpowder Empires of Persia and the Mughals, and also for some other ‘historical losers’ in the area, as the Mamluks. To be clear, they were left out of this expansion on purpose, since we have future plans for the Middle East, so you can expect us to create new content for them in the future. Some of you may have also wondered why countries like Venice, Netherlands or Austria are not in this expansion. You’ll see later that some of them have received some extra flavor in Domination; but, apart from that, today we want to show some countries that we decided to focus on, and that received more extra content, which are:
  • Portugal
  • Prussia
  • Korea
On top of that, we will also be talking about the following new content:

• Naval Special Units
  • Government Reforms
  • Estate Privileges
With that being said, let’s start with a country that I promised a couple of weeks ago would receive new content - Portugal! Or do we call it now Bluetugal? Anyway, we have reworked some of the older features of the country a bit. First, there was a redesign of its mission tree. Let’s take a look at its new shape:

Portugal 1.png

We reorganized it for better consistency. On the upper part, all the missions related to Exploration and Colonization. We reworked some of their rewards, improved the flow of some of them, and added a few more as well, after reading your feedback in the forums over the past couple of weeks:

Portugal 2.jpg

Portugal 3.jpg

Portugal 4.jpg

‘Sails of Exploration’ and ‘Charter the Seas’ add some flavor to the early Explorations made by Portugal.

Portugal 5.jpg

Portugal 6.jpg

Portugal 7.jpg

‘Clash with the Ottomans’ adds a mid to late game objective regarding the Portuguese push for Hegemony in the Indian Ocean, also adding an extra buff to the Portuguese Marines.

Portugal 8.jpg

Portugal 9.jpg

Portugal 10.jpg

‘Reform the Navy’ unlocks Caravels and Galleons special ships for Portugal, while ‘Lusitanian Empire’ makes for a more interesting reward if completing the lower half content of the Portuguese mission tree.

Apart from that, we also have created two unique Government Reforms for Portugal. The first one is a Tier 1 reform (meaning that Portugal will start with it):

Portugal 11.jpg

While the second one is a Tier 5 unique Military reform, which opens a new decision on top of the reform modifier:

Portugal 12.jpg

Portugal 13.png

To complete the rebalance of Portugal, we also took into account your suggestions for the Order of Avis, and changed their sailors for a more defensive approach for them:

14 Portugal 14.jpg

And we also added a couple of Salt resources in Portugal:

15 Portugal 15.jpg

Now, let’s move to the Prussia rework, which is presented by @PDX Big Boss !

Hey everyone, Prussia has long been a great and fun nation to play as, in Single and (especially) Multiplayer. As we revamp the content of the Great Powers in Domination, I saw it fit to revisit Prussia to some degree and give them a touch-up to accompany the upcoming Expansion. The idea behind this content is that Brandenburg feels like it’s surrounded by very powerful neighbors and rarely is allowed to grow and evolve into Prussia. This is especially true in Multiplayer scenarios, where the Polish, Scandinavian and Austrian players end up bullying little Brandenburg out of key provinces, such as the areas of Eastern and Western Prussia or Silesia etc. Alongside the new Prussian Blue color, I worked through nearly every single mission, providing new requirements and rewards, estate privileges, mechanics and more! Let’s take a look at some of the highlights:

15.5 Blue Prussia.png

Starting off, Reclaim Neumark will offer a new dynamic reward as shown below:

16. Reclaim Neumark Mission.png

Depending on your relationship with the Holy Roman Emperorship, conquering provinces outside of the Empire’s domain will yield a different bonus!

The mission ‘Ansbach Succession’ is now tied to a unique new “Timed Reward” challenge. Should you accept the union with Ansbach in the ‘Franconian Hohenzollerns’ event, you will trigger the mission’s timed challenge, starting the countdown. You will have 5 years at your disposal to reunite the Franconian lands, enjoying a powerful new reward if you are victorious:

17. Franconian Conquest Timed Reward.png

However, as the reward is very powerful, failure will also set you back a good deal as your lands in Franconia will declare independence and in return worsen your relations with your neighbors.

Disaster in Franconia.png

This is an experimental feature due to the fact that I feel like it's a good bit of a challenge for those who wish it. Please keep in mind you can circumvent this feature should you feel like you don’t wanna deal with it!

The mission ‘The Balance of Power’ will empower the Brandenburg Gate Great Project (for owners of Leviathan) with the following reward:

Balance of Power Mission.png

‘Conquer Greater Poland’ will grant the following reward should you complete it with 200 Development in the Polish region, granting you access to a very powerful Age Ability, as the de facto ruler of the Polish domain:

Conquer Greater Poland Mission.png

To be clear, you won’t need to complete the mission DURING the Age of Reformation!

Lastly, as far as Brandenburg-accessible content is concerned, a small pet-peeve of mine has always been the canals. They always felt somewhat underutilized and I would love to see them being built more often as they can provide a strategic advantage and a dynamic change to wars, especially in Multiplayer. To (at least partially) address that, the mission ‘Construct the Kiel Canal’ has had its requirements and rewards changed, to spawn the Canal upon completion:

Construct the Kiel Canal.png

Note: An idea I had during development would be to have the ability of closing and opening the canal, either in general or towards foes but alas, it was not meant to be. More on Great Projects at a later DD.

Moving on to Prussia, they will gain access to some new missions as per the Emperor DLC dictates. What is important to note here however is that Militarization as we know it , as far as Prussia is concerned, has changed.

Prussia now starts with a new version of it, called Early Prussian Militarization:

Militarization 1.png

A few easily-digestible points here:

• The first level of Militarization is weaker than the 1.34 equivalent.
  • Only Prussia will have access to this, everyone else that uses Militarization will keep the 1.34 iteration.
  • I would like to reinstate the decay of Militarization so it’s not a button you press 10 times and then forget about for the rest of the campaign, that is not very engaging. The idea is that you should always weigh your Mil power and think “Do I want to get a temporary boost, cap my Militarization or boost it ?” especially during wars and crucial battles.
  • Prussia does not need a special unit per-se. The entire army should be bolstered by this mechanic instead, not a few select parts of it. The army IS the special unit.
And how will this mechanic evolve as the game goes on? By completing these 2 missions:

23 Army Reforms and An Army with a State.png

Each will upgrade the mechanic, not only by unlocking more powerful bonuses but also adding new interactions as we will observe further down.

23 Army Reforms.png

25 Militarization 2.png

So the second level is essentially similar to 1.34 Militarization. The only difference here should be the decay, notice how the jump from the first to the second level also increased the decay of it.

Which leaves us with the final level of Militarization. If you are an enemy of Prussia, I would highly advise you to NOT let them reach this stage:

26 Prussia Mil.png

Note: these icons are a WIP!

Scharnhorst Manuevers Button.png

Reform the Military Manual Button.png

At this point I should note that these numbers are very much a WIP and I welcome all feedback, I love Prussia and I want this evolution of the Militarization mechanic to be as interesting and usable as possible. So as far as this new mechanic goes, feel free to chime in regarding stuff like the bonuses themselves, how much they should cost, the decay of each level etc.

Before we move on to another topic, I would like to thank Stiopa for providing me with a few new flavor events, which I plan on adding as part of the base game! And now, @Ogele is going to show you the new content for Korea!

Heya!

While my two colleagues cover two “minor” great powers of Europe, I figured it would be nice to expand Korea a little bit with Domination as all of its neighbors were given extensive overhauls. Generally speaking, I have always been more or less happy with its mission tree, though some of its mission rewards and requirements are in need of a revisit which will happen over the next few days.

With that being said, I still felt like Korea deserves something to make it stand out amongst the hordes of the North, the Empire to its west and Samurai to the east. As such it was only fitting that they receive their own unique Tier 1 reform:

korea_reform.png

korean_focuses.png

Its starting privilege - the “Inward Perfectionism” - has been turned into a three-button government ability for Korea, where they can set their path of how they interact with the world. As the community seems to dislike the idea that Korea expands, the AI will always choose Inward Focus and is prohibited from declaring any wars while they have the Inward Focus.

However, due to the nature of EU4, having only the Inward Focus is not necessarily a lot of fun for many players. As such, Korea also has access to the Outward Focus - one which focuses on interacting but not fighting with outside nations - and an Expansion Focus - the epitome of the EU4 gameplay loop. You can select a new focus every 20 years or when you get a new ruler.

Additionally to this, Korea’s ideas have been revisited. It was promised in 1.33 that they would get an update and it finally has happened:

Code:
KOR_ideas = {
    start = {
        build_cost = -0.1
        land_morale = 0.1
    }
    bonus = {
        infantry_power = 0.1
    }
    trigger = {
        tag = KOR
    }
    free = yes
    kor_uijeongbu = {
        advisor_cost = -0.1
        all_estate_loyalty_equilibrium = 0.05
    }
    metal_movable_type = {
        adm_tech_cost_modifier = -0.05
        innovativeness_gain = 0.5
    }
    choi_mu_seon_gunpower_engines = {
        fire_damage = 0.1
    }
    korean_artisanery = {
        prestige = 1
        development_cost = -0.05
    }
    hyanyak_system = {
        production_efficiency = 0.10
    }
    geobukseon = {
        ship_durability = 0.1
        naval_morale = 0.05
        has_geobukseon = yes
    }
    kyujanggak = {
        idea_cost = -0.1
    }
}

Two things to be mentioned here: the Hangul Alphabet is a big part of Korean history and technology, and while it has been removed from the ideas, it has not been removed from Korea itself.

31 alphabet.png

Note: there is also a revoke decision if you want to get rid of the increased unrest.

The Hopae System itself has become a decision too:

32 hopae.png

The Korean ideas also unlock a new special naval unit for Korea: the Geobukseon Galley:

33 geobukseon.png

The amount of Geobukseon you can construct scales with Navy Tradition. At 100 Navy Tradition, 50% of your Naval Force Limit can be made of Geobukseon ships.

Some other small additions for Korea are the additions of the Tripitaka Koreana and the Righteous Army military reform. Starting with the former, the Tripitaka Koreana is a permanent province modifier which is quite similar to the Emerald Buddha in Chiang Mai. Located in Jinju, the modifier has the following effects:

34 tripitaka_koreana.png

Note: Not shown is the Karma decay for Buddhistic nations.

It is possible for another country of the Eastern Religion Group to steal Tripitaka if the province gets occupied by outside forces:

tripitaka_stolen.png

In order to counteract this, the owner of the Tripitaka Koreana has two decisions which reinforce the defense of this collection.

36 tripitaka_defense.png

37 tripitaka_evacuation.png

Note: the latter decision is only available in a defensive war.

Finally let us tackle the unique military reform of Korea: the Righteous Army. Once just a mission in their mission tree, it is now a government reform in the fifth tier (which I will go into detail later) with the following effects:

38 righteous_army.png

Once selected, you will have access to the following decision when you are in a defensive war OR 10 provinces of your culture have been occupied:

righteous_army_decision.png

The Righteous Army is an emergency mercenary unit with only 10% of its cost and can be recruited like any free company can be:

40 righteous_army_merc.png
Note: I am aware that the Righteous Army is basically a force of peasants which defend their homeland from invaders. I excluded them from the Army Professionalism cost as it would be a bit awkward from a gameplay perspective to be punished for recruiting a special mercenary company with such a niche.

Once peace has returned you get the following event:

41 righteous_army_peace.png

That is it for Korea for the time being. I want to express my gratitude towards Estaloy who helped me a lot with giving good ideas for Korea and as well as giving inspiration for many other aspects for 1.35. I wouldn't have gotten so far without her support.

Unlike other nations, Korea is one of the states which I personally would like to expand with every patch a little bit as there are still a few things to cover such as highly factionalized infighting. However, time is of the essence, and as such we have to move on now to another topic.

Korea, England, Portugal and Castile are not the only countries that have gained access to new special naval units, the new feature that we are implementing in Domination.

Countries of the Venetian or the Ligurian cultures have access to the following Tier 5 government reform:

42 merchant_arsenal.png

43 galleass.png

Galleasses are similar to Geobukseon as the amount of available galleasses scales with your navy tradition. However, you can only construct them in provinces that have either a dock, drydock, shipyard or grand shipyard.

The other special naval unit went to the Dutch and Flemish countries which have one of the three Dutch governments (more about them later).

44 VOC.png

The VOC Indiamen is even for special units extraordinary as it is the only non-transport ship that can actually transport land units. Combined with their ability to protect trade and their additional cannons, the VOC Indiamen are a master of utility. However, you only have 20% of your naval force limit available for you. Any additional force limit available for VOC is increased by your Trade Efficiency. At 100% Trade Efficiency you would be able to recruit 25% more of your total naval force limit as VOC Indiamen.

Now, let’s move to the new Government Reforms and Estate Privileges that we created!

A big part of 1.34’s success was the introduction of many new government reforms which expanded the choices a player could make during their campaign. 1.35 and Domination will continue this trend with the addition of a new government tier and more tier 1 reforms all across the world.

Let’s get started with the new tier!

45 new_tier_5.png

46 tier_5_reforms.png

Note: These reforms and the tier are part of the 1.35 free update. It is a shared tier between Monarchies, Republics, Theocracies and Tribal governments.

You might have noticed that none of these reforms give “hard” land military modifiers. The general idea was that the generic military reforms should be somewhat of a utility reform for your army. Depending on the situation you might want to pick a different reform.

The three exceptions to these are the mercenary as well as the naval reforms. The former gives mercenary discipline in order to encourage active usage of mercenary units for combat (this is especially directed at players like me who love to park their merc units on a fort and forget about them until a siege is over) while the latter is more for the role play aspect.

With that being said, Domination itself brings additional reforms for the 5th tier. These reforms, however, are locked behind specific culture groups in order to give variety to the world. Here are are some examples:

47 specific_reforms.png

Note: As usual, neither numbers nor modifiers are final.

Some reforms enable certain mechanics unique to the government reform. For example, completing the mercenary ideas unlocks the following government reform:

48 elite_mercs.png

49 meme_build.png

Note: The actual price is 0.1 Years of Income.

Now that we have covered the tier 5 reforms, let us return to Tier 1. While the addition of many additional reforms was highly praised, we still were feeling that a bit more variety is missing. As Domination is already a DLC focusing on a global scope, it was only fitting that we introduce new Tier 1 reforms in order to make regions have something to look forward to with the upcoming update and DLC:

50 starting_tier_1.png

A few other new Tier 1 get unlocked as you play through your campaign and form other countries:

51 formables_tier_1.png

Additionally, Domination will unlock some “over-the-top” government reforms for achieving a difficult-ish feat:

special_formables_tier_1.png

Last but not least, Domination enables two new generic Tier 1 reforms for Monarchies and Republics:

52 elective.png

Whenever a new ruler ascends the throne you get the following event pop-up:

53 election_event.png

You always have the option to choose one from your nobility to become the new ruler. Additionally, if you border a country that is not independent, has the Nobility (or its Indian equivalent) estates, is a monarchy, is not at war with you and is not in a regency then you get the choice to elect one of the said country’s relatives to your new ruler. However, this specific ruler is the only one whose stats you cannot see before.

The event will always pick the most developed country as the origin of this foreign noble. Of course I want to point out that this is subject to changes.

The other reform is one for the Republics:

54 civic.png

Unlike other Republics, this reform tries to mix things up by introducing max terms for a ruler to rule.

55 max_terms.png

Of course this stands to the antithesis of the optimal play of Republics where you want to re-elect the same guy over and over again. Because of that, this reform aims for making modifiers which increase the length of terms and more stats for random candidates more attractive by giving new rulers a new lifetime long modifier which makes choosing a new candidate:

56 candidate_bonus.png

There are in total 15 modifiers, 5 for each category (ADM/DIP/MIL). Here is the list of possible modifiers to get from your ruler:

Code:
civic_republicanism_focus_government = {
    reform_progress_growth = 0.1
}
civic_republicanism_focus_expansion = {
    core_creation = -0.05
}
civic_republicanism_focus_technology = {
    idea_cost = -0.05
}
civic_republicanism_focus_stability = {
    stability_cost_modifier = -0.1
}
civic_republicanism_focus_religion = {
    global_missionary_strength = 0.01
}

civic_republicanism_focus_diplomacy = {
    diplomatic_reputation = 1
}
civic_republicanism_focus_court = {
    all_estate_influence_modifier = -0.05
}
civic_republicanism_focus_trade = {
    trade_efficiency = 0.1
}
civic_republicanism_focus_subjects = {
    diplomatic_annexation_cost = -0.05
}
civic_republicanism_focus_development = {
    development_cost = -0.05
}

civic_republicanism_focus_defensive = {
    defensiveness = 0.2
}
civic_republicanism_focus_sieges = {
    siege_ability = 0.1
}
civic_republicanism_focus_leaders = {
    leader_land_shock = 1
    leader_naval_shock = 1
}
civic_republicanism_focus_quality = {
    land_morale = 0.1
}
civic_republicanism_focus_naval = {
    naval_morale = 0.1
    global_ship_trade_power = 0.1
}

These were the government reforms, but I am not done yet. Domination also unlocks up to 60 new Estate Privileges, distributed amongst all the estates (Janissaries and Eunuchs not counted in). It would be a bit too much if I go into detail for every privilege, so instead I will showcase a set of privileges which can be expected for the major estates (Clergy, Burghers and Nobles) and then a few highlights for the more niche estates.

no_crownland_loss_from_deving.png

Every estate gains one privilege which allows you to develop your provinces without the affected estate to lose crown land. While this seems like a drawback for a few estates, for others like the Nobility which has access to Increased Levies or the Rajputs whose access to their special units is tied to the crown land they have it will be a powerful tool.

58 influence_scaling.png

Most estates will also gain access to a privilege whose modifiers directly scale with the influence said estate has.

59 loyalty_scaling.png

Finally, there is a privilege whose modifiers directly scale with the loyalty of your estate. So an estate with 100% Loyalty would give the full modifiers.

Now, you might have noticed that the last privilege has an “Estate Decision” or, synonymously called “Estate Action”. For those who did not play EUIV before 1.30: the estates used to have interactions that you can press in order to get a one-time effect from the estate. Some might even remember the old golden rule of giving the estates 80% influence and then demanding their support every 20 years for 200 Monarch Power.

Well, this has now returned in form of decisions that are unlocked by the estates:

estate_decisions.png

While other interactions have been reworked into an effect that interacts with your estate agendas.

61 minister_decision.png

While other interactions have been reworked into an effect which interacts with your estate agendas.

62 agenda_completer.png

Finally a few estate privileges from the less prevalent estates:

63 cossacks.png

64 hordes.png

And that’s all for today! Here @Pavía again! We hope you enjoy all this new content we have created for Europa Universalis IV: Domination. But on top of that, next week we will be talking about more new content we have created… In this case, free content! We are adding a fair amount of content to the previous DLCs and the base game as we wanted to give the gameplay even more depth and continue to expand some of the features that are included in them, and also as a reward for the large player base that continues to support Europa Universalis IV after almost 10 years of development. See you next week!

eu4-prussia-dd.png

Attachments

• Conquer Greater Poland Mission.png
    Conquer Greater Poland Mission.png
    102,1 KB · Views: 0
  • 48 elite_mercs.png
    48 elite_mercs.png
    106,4 KB · Views: 0
  • 82Like
  • 68Love
  • 5Haha
Reactions:
Here are some 30 pages of careful discussion about making a more accurate representation of Portugal, from an old dev diary back from 2018:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...evelopment-diary-9th-of-october-2018.1122972/

All of this painstaking work was summarily dismissed back then without ever being given serious consideration (see the last page). Then the post was locked to prevent the issue from being brought up again. The justification given was time constraints, and the contributors were left with vague promises that PDX would "revisit the issue".

It's been more than 4 years. The issues highlighted in this old thread have still not been redressed. Right now is the perfect opportunity. I don't think PDX should stall any longer about this.

• 53Like
Reactions:
Hello, dear developers. I just wanted to know if the following issue/bug related to the disaster for the Teutons will be resolved in the upcoming 1.35 version.
I would be extremely grateful for a response. Please take a look at it:

Regarding the first issue, take notice of it, we're going to investigate it.

Regarding 'The Prussian Confederation', it is now a disaster that can trigger after 1450, so the revolt can start at some point in the following years. ;)

Good day, @Pavía! Thank You for your response, I am very glad that you'll investigate the peace-deal visual issue. :D

When it comes to the revolt, sorry that I continuously bother You with this event chain. I am quite happy that it got its own disaster. It indeed begins in the 1450s and fires an event "flavor_teu.4" upon start, which gives burghers influence, land share and disloyalty.
However, the event that actually causes Danzig to revolt is "flavor_teu.1" and according to the game files it still can only trigger after 1460. This can be found in "\events\flavorTEU.txt", here it is:

Code:
# Prussian Confederation rises up
country_event = {
    id = flavor_teu.1
    title = "flavor_teu.EVTNAME1"
    desc = "flavor_teu.EVTDESC1"
    picture = ANGRY_MOB_eventPicture

fire_only_once = yes

trigger = {
        is_year = 1460
        NOT = { is_year = 1500 }
        tag = TEU
        NOT = { has_country_flag = pru_confederation_curtailed }
        NOT = { has_country_flag = pru_confederation_happened }
        NOT = { has_country_flag = pru_danzig_victory_happend }
        NOT = { has_estate_privilege = estate_burghers_prussian_confederation }
        has_disaster = prussian_confederation_disaster
        is_subject = no
        exists = POL
        is_neighbor_of = POL
        is_at_war = no
        NOT = { alliance_with = POL }
        POL = { is_subject = no }
        POL = { num_of_cities = 10 }
        num_of_cities = 5
        OR = {
            NOT = { exists = DNZ }
            DNZ = {
                is_subject_of = ROOT
            }
        }
        OR = {
            AND = {
                owns = 43
                controls = 43
            }
            DNZ = { owns = 43 controls = 43 }
        }
    }

mean_time_to_happen = {
        months = 6
        modifier = {
            factor = 0.1
            is_year = 1466
        }
    }

immediate = {
        hidden_effect = {
            set_country_flag = pru_confederation_happened
            # add cores to DNZ based on burgher land share
            if = {
                limit = {
                    estate_influence = {
                        estate = estate_burghers
                        influence = 40
                    }
                }
                random_owned_province = {
                    limit = {
                        is_capital = no
                        NOT = { is_core = DNZ }
                        OR = {
                            area = east_prussia_area
                            area = west_prussia_area
                        }
                        any_neighbor_province = {
                            is_core = DNZ
                        }
                    }
                    add_core = DNZ
                    if = {
                        limit = { is_part_of_hre = yes }
                        set_in_empire = no
                    }
                }
            }
            if = {
                limit = {
                    estate_influence = {
                        estate = estate_burghers
                        influence = 50
                    }
                }
                    limit = {
                        is_capital = no
                        NOT = { is_core = DNZ }
                        OR = {
                            area = east_prussia_area
                            area = west_prussia_area
                        }
                            is_core = DNZ
                        }
                    }
                    add_core = DNZ
                    if = {
                        set_in_empire = no
                    }
                }
            }
            if = {
                limit = {
                    estate_influence = {
                        estate = estate_burghers
                        influence = 60
                    }
                }
                    limit = {
                        is_capital = no
                        NOT = { is_core = DNZ }
                        OR = {
                            area = east_prussia_area
                            area = west_prussia_area
                        }
                            is_core = DNZ
                        }
                    }
                    add_core = DNZ
                    if = {
                        set_in_empire = no
                    }
                }
            }
            if = {
                limit = {
                    estate_influence = {
                        estate = estate_burghers
                        influence = 70
                    }
                }
                    limit = {
                        is_capital = no
                        NOT = { is_core = DNZ }
                        OR = {
                            area = east_prussia_area
                            area = west_prussia_area
                        }
                            is_core = DNZ
                        }
                    }
                    add_core = DNZ
                    if = {
                        set_in_empire = no
                    }
                }
            }
            if = {
                limit = {
                    estate_influence = {
                        estate = estate_burghers
                        influence = 80
                    }
                }
                    limit = {
                        is_capital = no
                        NOT = { is_core = DNZ }
                        OR = {
                            area = east_prussia_area
                            area = west_prussia_area
                        }
                            is_core = DNZ
                        }
                    }
                    add_core = DNZ
                    if = {
                        set_in_empire = no
                    }
                }
            }
            if = {
                limit = {
                    NOT = {
                        exists = DNZ
                    }
                }
                release = DNZ
                DNZ = {
                    change_government = republic
                    add_government_reform = oligarchy_reform
                    adopt_reform_progress = ROOT
                    hidden_effect = {
                        if = { limit = { is_part_of_hre = yes } set_in_empire = no }
                    }
                }
            }
            else = {
                every_owned_province = {
                    limit = {
                        is_core = DNZ
                    }
                    cede_province = DNZ
                }
            }
            DNZ = {
                capital_scope = {
                    build_to_forcelimit = {
                        infantry = 0.6
                        cavalry = 0.3
                    }
                }
                    limit = {
                        has_port = yes
                    }
                    build_to_forcelimit = {
                        galley = 0.3
                        light_ship = 0.3
                        transport = 0.2
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }

option = { # Go to war
        name = "flavor_teu.1.a"
        ai_chance = {
            factor = 100
            modifier = {
                factor = 0
                OR = {
                    is_bankrupt = yes
                    war_exhaustion = 10
                }
            }

}
        declare_war_with_cb = {
            who = DNZ
            casus_belli = cb_core
            war_goal_province = 43
        }
        custom_tooltip = flavor_teu.1.tooltip
        hidden_effect = {
            POL = {
                country_event = { id = flavor_teu.2 }
            }
            POL = {
                create_guarantee = DNZ
            }
        }
    }
    option = { # Let them go
        name = "flavor_teu.1.b"
        ai_chance = {
            factor = 100
            modifier = {
                factor = 0
                OR = {
                    is_bankrupt = no
                    NOT = { war_exhaustion = 10 }
                }
            }
        }
        add_stability = -1
        add_prestige = -20
    }
}
I've also visually confirmed that this is the case in 1.34.3, by unpausing the game until 1460s.
Videos by YouTubers, with AI Teutons, as well show this event happening after 1460.
Once again, apologies for disturbing You because of the year inaccuracy and thank You for Your attention.
To summarize: “Prussian Confederation” disaster for Teutons can start progressing as early as 1450 and usually fires around 1952, but the event that causes Danzig to revolt can happen only after 1460. This results in a weird outcome, where disaster meter is full, and disaster technically has started, yet Danzig rebels spawn after 10 or so years. This is quite ahistorical as well.
I sincerely ask You to fix this issue. I believe it would require a minor change to the aforementioned event.
Please respond, so I would know if this problem has been noticed.

Reactions:
Here are some 30 pages of careful discussion about making a more accurate representation of Portugal, from an old dev diary back from 2018:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...evelopment-diary-9th-of-october-2018.1122972/

All of this painstaking work was summarily dismissed back then without ever being given serious consideration (see the last page). Then the post was locked to prevent the issue from being brought up again. The justification given was time constraints, and the contributors were left with vague promises that PDX would "revisit the issue".

It's been more than 4 years. The issues highlighted in this old thread have still not been redressed. Right now is the perfect opportunity. I don't think PDX should stall any longer about this.
We've been carefully reading the feedback about Portugal that has been suggested to us in late threads, such as this or this one. And we've been having feedback discussions in the last year or so with some people very involved with this, as @Sete . We could have made a better or worse rework for Portugal, but believe me that we were aware of the community's suggestions. ;)

• 41Like
Reactions:
Can Korea finally get something to help them keep their dynasty? Either fixed dynasty or heir chance bonus.

• 9Like
Reactions:
How does it work if Prussia should take Mercenary ideas, will it have 2 militarizations?

• 7Like
Reactions:
I think it is very unreasonable that any country can acquire EoC.Not only is it not historical and tempting almost every other country to get EoC and get the core, when I was playing smaller countries in EUR, I always wondered if it would be too easy for me to just go to China and get EoC, which greatly reduced my game experience. Because I lose my motivation to play the game when I have an option to easily get a core of 1100 development. I think the EoC should be limited to.

• 3Like
Reactions:
If Portugal forms spain, will they get new missions ? i also want ot suggest something, make a spain that was formed by portugal have a different name, maybe Hispania or Espanha ? or even Lusitania

Last edited:
  • 23Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
Very nice changes, even if the impossibility of covering every tag in a single DLC is always a recipe for disappointment.

A few minor rewordings for you to consider:

1. The Tripitaka really should have "scholarship and craftsmanship", "scholar- and craftsmanship" sounds a bit weird in this instance.
  2. Shouldn't "Dutch Archbishopric" be "Dutch Theocracy" to be more universal? I'm pretty sure that Utrecht is not an Archbishopric in-game.
  3. "Expand the Theology" could be "Expand Theological Colleges", unless it's related to actually redefining what theology means for your country.
  4. "Legalize the Cossacks Raids" should be "Legalize the Cossack Raids"

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Muelleri said:
Devs are giving attention to Korea and North east asia for 1.33, so i suggest to add very simple country name change event for Korea when it holds mandate like Dai Viet.

(Title & description is same with flavor_dai.4)
Event Title:
The Mandate of Heaven

Description:
The Mandate of Heaven is ours, taken from the unworthy and tyrannical Ming. We must name the new state that will rule over China for a thousand years.

Is trigger only by: completing the mission "Tame the Dragon"

Option:

1. Daehan(大韓)

2. Goguryeo(高句麗)

3. Remain as Korea(Joseon)

Effects after selecting any option
If Korea is the Emperor of China:
- then Korea gains 30 mandate.
Else, Korea gains 50 prestige.
(Same reward as Dai Viet one)

Reason for suggestion:
Dai Viet has name change event when they complete ‘Claim the mandate’ misssion, so Korea deserves same kind of event when it becomes Emperor. Actually it makes sense to choose new name when new country become chinese emperor because in history chinese empires used single word name (Ming明,Qing靑,Yuan元 etc…) because they think chinese empire is the greasteat nation so it has to use single word nation name. I want to add more description to this event but devs already said about translation time issue, so i suggest to use same title & description of Dai viet’s ‘The Mandate of Heaven’ event and makes different for only options. Then we don’t have to worry about transalation issue.

Suggestion description:
If name of Korea in eu4 changes into Joseon and it has fixed dynasty from confucian bureaucracy then it will makes more sense to choose new name because english name ‘Korea’ can be applied to Daehan and Joseon too. Korean empire & South Korea use Daehan as official name and North Korea use Joseon as official name but worlds call them as Korea anyway, although choosing name was important matter for Korean. But it’s game where kingdom of god can be formed. So why not? Let’s just give choices to new Korean empire for immersive play.

Option1: Daehan(大韓) - It means Great Han(韓). 韓 means people and nation lives in Korean peninsula and have Korean identity. Joseon kingdom chose Daehan as official name when it proclaimed empror(1897). Also current South Korean offical name is Daehan too. (AI choose this 100% because it was historical decision.)

Option 2: Goguryeo(高句麗 ) - Ancient korean kingdom name. Goguryeo ruled Manchuria and northern part of Korea. It was the one of the biggest kingdoms of korea in history, so many Korean loves Goguryeo and its name represents korean ambition for manchuria and china region. Because of this, there is ‘Restore Goguryeo’ mission for Korea too. I don’t think historical Joseon will choose this name in this situation because they overthrown Goryeo and so they will not use its name again but it’s game and Korean loves it. So why not?(It seems Goguryeo’s successor state Balhae was bigger than Goguryeo although its territory is not certain. Korean loves Goguryeo more so i choose Goguryeo as name)

Option 3: remain as Korea. In EU4 devs use Korea as name for Joseon kingdom. If devs use Joseon as name and give fixed dynasty to confucian bureaucracy it will be more perfect and makes sense. But I know devs will not make this decision so remain as Korea means just staying as Joseon as name.(Currently Korean translation mod translates Korea as Joseon.)

*Name ‘Korea’ was originated from Goguryeo. Korean medieval kingdom Goryeo chose its name because it proclaimed succession from Goguryeo.(Goguryeo used Goryeo as name too). Foreigners call Goryeo as Korea so ‘Korea’ became represtative name for Korean nation and people. Goryeo was collapsed by Joseon so Joseon doesn’t like to be called as Korea but European kept calling Joseon as Korea anyway. This situation has been solidified until now, so South and North Korea doesn’t have ‘Goryeo’ in official korean name but they are called as Korea now.
Nice change for Korea! I hope Korea get new country name change event.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Disaster in Franconia.png

This is an experimental feature due to the fact that I feel like it's a good bit of a challenge for those who wish it. Please keep in mind you can circumvent this feature should you feel like you don’t wanna deal with it!
I’m seriously worried about this event. This is a total setback which will ensure Brandenburg AI gets torn apart by half of the HRE everytime they have 36AE and the 15 suddenly add to form a coalition

Besides, what is the reasoning behind that ? AE should not be given for “losing” a Franconia land which was either way inherited through dynastic ties, and you will already receive AE if you try to reinstate the union on them.

Last edited:
  • 31Like
Reactions:
Could the janissary autocracy might be called janissary stratocracy instead?

This form of government, where janissaries elected a leader among themselves to rule the state actually existed historically, in Algeria and Tunis. Where they would elect a Dey (and not Agha) from among themselves. It could use the military order mechanic of choosing a leader among options.

So I would suggest renaming the government janissary stratocracy and the ruler a Dey, as per Algeria and Tunis precedent.

• 20Like
Reactions: