• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Europa Universalis IV - Development Diary 4th of April 2023 - Achievements

Hello everybody! Welcome to today’s Developer Diary!

My name is Arnau, I am an Internal QA Tester working at Tinto. And I'm here with @Pintu to bring you this week's Dev Diary where we will focus on one of our favorite topics, the new Achievements that will accompany 1.35.

The idea we have about achievements is to try to give a new inspiration or goal to our beloved players. Some of them are to provide additional depth and difficulty of the campaign and others are paths that will diverge from your normal gameplay experience. We have tried to give a little bit of everything in these new achievements and we hope you will enjoy them.
With the focus of Domination being on some of the major powers of the time it was a bit more difficult than usual to find suitable Achievements, since a lot of these nations are already covered with a fair share of Achievements.
So here is the list of the achievements we at Tinto came up with for the 1.35 Patch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Frankfurt to the Andes
From Frankfurt to the Andes.png

Starting as Frankfurt, form Jerusalem, and then form the Inca while owning Mallorca.

Let’s start with a small history Lesson for this one. There once was a small group of people in the Imperial City of Frankfurt. After being kicked out of the City because of rebellious behavior they did find asylum on the Balearic Islands where they quickly established themselves as Pirates to live in true freedom. This newfound Freedom brough to a variety of new shores, but one place inspired them more than anything, the Holy City of Jerusalem. From there they spread their beliefs to the New World, where they gave refuge to expelled People from all over the world. With these people, and some inspiration found while looking into the wisdom of the Sun, they swiftly drafted a new plan to ensure their everlasting legacy. And so the Inti State of Jerusalem was born.
What? That sounds like a fantasy story to you? You better brush up on your history lessons then!
Jokes aside, this Achievement was born out of the Grandest LAN last year and the participants from our Studio might have joined a Cult in the process and this is the payment that is expected from us now.

Mehmet's Ambition
Mehmet's Ambition.png

Starting as The Ottomans, own or have Core Eyalets own all the provinces required to form the Roman Empire before 1500.

Do you want to prove to everyone who is the true Successor of the Roman Empire? Make the Conqueror proud by establishing yourself as the true Roman Emperor Sultan.

Triple the Rome
Triple the Rome.png

As Russia, be the Emperor of China and the HRE.

You might ask yourself what there is to aim for as a mighty emperor. Obviously a second emperor title! Or two…

No Country for Old Tercios
No Country for Old Tercios.png

As Spain have Reformed Tercios, 33 Tercio Units, and control 3 Great Power capitals at the same time.

Gonzalo, get the pike! It’s time to show them how to manage this. I think a third of the World should be ours.

All Blue
All Blue.png

As Portugal, all Europe is owned by you or blue European countries that exist in 1444.

All the good things in life are blue. The sky, the sea and even Portugal. Live out your dream to find the All Blue! On your Journey you will find people who share the same Dream.

Stardust Crusaders
Stardust Crusaders.png

As Japan have the Land of the Christian Sun reform while Palestine and Cairo are Christian.

"Oh, you're approaching me? Instead of running away, you're coming straight to me?”

Copium Wars
Copium Wars.png

Starting and playing as Ming, own the Britain region.

Don’t worry, they are just here to teach you about Tea.

Brentry
Brentry.png

Starting as England, form the Angevin Kingdom and enact all the Acts of Crown parliamentary issues.

Guess who's back. And now with an even fresher color, new ideas and the desire to take it all around. Assert your claim to the french throne and guide Europe to your Dream of a true union.

The Reapers
The Reapers.png

Starting as Aragon, be a Peasant Republic and have Madrid and Paris owned by any Peasant Republic.

We are peaceful people who want to bring you freedom. What, you don't want to embrace our system? Well, we have other tools to make you see reason.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, that’s all for today! Since we are close to release this Dev Diary is a rather short one, since there is not much left to cover for this Updates Cycle.
In next week's Dev Diary we will talk about the Changelog for the coming 1.35 Update. We hope you are as excited as we are for the Release of the 1.35 Patch and Domination in just two weeks from now.​

eu_dd_comic_achievements.png

Dont worry achievement hunters we still <3 you

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 56Like
  • 14Haha
  • 8Love
Reactions:
Yay achievements!

Don't really like the meme achievements. The Portugal and Ming ones sound good though. Got to say I'm disappointed there are no "complete mission tree" achievements too. Really enjoyed getting those with Austria, Great Britain and Spain and it would've been nice to have gotten some more.

• 18Like
Reactions:
I see that the religious restrictions for becoming Emperor of China are being lifted given that Russia can be EoC and Emperor of the HRE at the same time.

EDIT: I retract my statement as the means of cheese have been revealed to me.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Looks like fun. I hope the Frankfurt one and other countries with tiny MTs allow formables. Makes the playthrough much better when I can do side achievements like forming Germany or Jerusalem. Would love a reason to play as Germany past forming it.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Another One Piece reference lets go!

Love the puns and, but Mehmet one seems so hard lol

Also is that 33 for the Spanish Achievement what I think it is? XD

• 3Like
Reactions:
I see that the religious restrictions for becoming Emperor of China are being lifted given that Russia can be EoC and Emperor of the HRE at the same time.
You can do that today.

Step 1: Become HRE
Step 2: Pass Inherited Succession
Step 3: Flip Eastern Religion
Step 4: Take Mandate

• 1Like
Reactions:
You can already do that, EoC only requires pagan/eastern religion to claim, after that you can freely switch out.

Jeez, these have to be some of the wildest achievements added yet. Mehmet's ambition is a new contender for hardest achievement in the game, although I haven't looked too closely at their dev diary so I don't know their powerlevel too well. Still, basically all of the med before 1500 ? sounds like a tall task.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
You can do that today.

Step 1: Become HRE
Step 2: Pass Inherited Succession
Step 3: Flip Eastern Religion
Step 4: Take Mandate
Or vice versa. You only need an eastern religion to become EoC, not to keep it. So you could flip Confucian, become Emperor of China, then back to Christian for HRE.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I was thinking that with the theme being domination there might be a World Conquest type achievement. "The Sunni never sets on the Ottoman Empire" type thing.

But THoT 2 sounds challenging enough.

Reactions:
Ah yes, another conquer Britain achievement. To go with For Odin!, Luck of the Irish, Stiff Upper Lippe, Empire of Mann, the Iron Price and the Bohemians.

Joking aside, most of them seem like a challenge. Not sure how to do the Ottomans one. It's basically a 'conquer Europe before 1500' achievement. Or close to, at least, since the rest will be in a coalition against you.

• 11Haha
  • 8Like
Reactions:
  • 17Haha
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Ah yes, another conquer Britain achievement. To go with For Odin!, Luck of the Irish, Stiff Upper Lippe, Empire of Mann, the Iron Price and the Bohemians.

Joking aside, most of them seem like a challenge. Not sure how to do the Ottomans one. It's basically a 'conquer Europe before 1500' achievement. Or close to, at least, since the rest will be in a coalition against you.
don't forget The Sun Never Sets on the Indian Empire !

Reactions:
Hello everybody! Welcome to today’s Developer Diary!

My name is Arnau, I am an Internal QA Tester working at Tinto. And I'm here with @Pintu to bring you this week's Dev Diary where we will focus on one of our favorite topics, the new Achievements that will accompany 1.35.

The idea we have about achievements is to try to give a new inspiration or goal to our beloved players. Some of them are to provide additional depth and difficulty of the campaign and others are paths that will diverge from your normal gameplay experience. We have tried to give a little bit of everything in these new achievements and we hope you will enjoy them.
With the focus of Domination being on some of the major powers of the time it was a bit more difficult than usual to find suitable Achievements, since a lot of these nations are already covered with a fair share of Achievements.
So here is the list of the achievements we at Tinto came up with for the 1.35 Patch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Frankfurt to the Andes
View attachment 963898

Starting as Frankfurt, form Jerusalem, and then form the Inca while owning Mallorca.

Let’s start with a small history Lesson for this one. There once was a small group of people in the Imperial City of Frankfurt. After being kicked out of the City because of rebellious behavior they did find asylum on the Balearic Islands where they quickly established themselves as Pirates to live in true freedom. This newfound Freedom brough to a variety of new shores, but one place inspired them more than anything, the Holy City of Jerusalem. From there they spread their beliefs to the New World, where they gave refuge to expelled People from all over the world. With these people, and some inspiration found while looking into the wisdom of the Sun, they swiftly drafted a new plan to ensure their everlasting legacy. And so the Inti State of Jerusalem was born.
What? That sounds like a fantasy story to you? You better brush up on your history lessons then!
Jokes aside, this Achievement was born out of the Grandest LAN last year and the participants from our Studio might have joined a Cult in the process and this is the payment that is expected from us now.

Mehmet's Ambition
View attachment 963899

Starting as The Ottomans, own or have Core Eyalets own all the provinces required to form the Roman Empire before 1500.

Do you want to prove to everyone who is the true Successor of the Roman Empire? Make the Conqueror proud by establishing yourself as the true Roman Emperor Sultan.

Triple the Rome
View attachment 963900

As Russia, be the Emperor of China and the HRE.

You might ask yourself what there is to aim for as a mighty emperor. Obviously a second emperor title! Or two…

No Country for Old Tercios
View attachment 963902

As Spain have Reformed Tercios, 33 Tercio Units, and control 3 Great Power capitals at the same time.

Gonzalo, get the pike! It’s time to show them how to manage this. I think a third of the World should be ours.

All Blue
View attachment 963903

As Portugal, all Europe is owned by you or blue European countries that exist in 1444.

All the good things in life are blue. The sky, the sea and even Portugal. Live out your dream to find the All Blue! On your Journey you will find people who share the same Dream.

Stardust Crusaders
View attachment 963904

As Japan have the Land of the Christian Sun reform while Palestine and Cairo are Christian.

"Oh, you're approaching me? Instead of running away, you're coming straight to me?”

Copium Wars
View attachment 963905

Starting and playing as Ming, own the Britain region.

Don’t worry, they are just here to teach you about Tea.

Brentry
View attachment 963906

Starting as England, form the Angevin Kingdom and enact all the Acts of Crown parliamentary issues.

Guess who's back. And now with an even fresher color, new ideas and the desire to take it all around. Assert your claim to the french throne and guide Europe to your Dream of a true union.

The Reapers
View attachment 963907

Starting as Aragon, be a Peasant Republic and have Madrid and Paris owned by any Peasant Republic.

We are peaceful people who want to bring you freedom. What, you don't want to embrace our system? Well, we have other tools to make you see reason.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, that’s all for today! Since we are close to release this Dev Diary is a rather short one, since there is not much left to cover for this Updates Cycle.
In next week's Dev Diary we will talk about the Changelog for the coming 1.35 Update. We hope you are as excited as we are for the Release of the 1.35 Patch and Domination in just two weeks from now.​
The ottomans one looks really hard

• 3Like
Reactions: