• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Welcome to another Europa Universalis IV development diary – Number 23 in fact. We have already done three more development diaries than we’d done for Europa Universalis III, and we still have about 30 more possible diaries to write.* There is still a lot to talk about when it comes to diplomacy, naval combat, westernization, economy, the Reformation and more.* And yes, we also need to make country guides for Poland and Norway.

Today, however, we’re talking a little more about diplomacy, where we introduce a new concept, and talk about how a few others have changed.

Coalitions
Sometimes you simply do not want to ally with someone because they are likely to drag you into a bunch of wars that you have no interest in, but, at the same time you think they would make a great ally for the war you do want to wage.

EUIV addresses this problem with the coalition system, a mutual alliance that is directed against a single country. You have an alliance leader, say the Papacy, who organizes an alliance say directed against Venice. Then they sign up countries like France, Milan and Austria. The alliance only fires in the event of war with Venice but if war does erupt all countries in the Coalition will be called in.

Initially, this power is only open to Catholic countries and can only be organized by the Papal Controller, reinforcing the idea that the Pope is still quite important in the early centuries of the game. Later on though, advances in diplomatic technology will allow any country to organize its own coalition against a common rival. Some Dynamic Historical Events can form some historic coalitions if the stars are aligned properly, as well.

Coalitions become, then, a great way to contain a growing threat or hated neighbor since everyone signs on to fight before the war starts. It can be challenging to get a coalition moving, since you need your potential allies to see the strategic threats in the same way you do. But it is a valuable tool that reinforces common interests.

Relations
We talked earlier about the change from bilateral relations to a system where you can hate me, but I don't hate you. (I don’t hate anybody!) This means we had to devise ways to change the asymmetrical love-hate relationship.

- Improve Relations
To improve relations, you send a diplomat to their capital, and he will slowly increase their opinion of your country. There is a cap though, currently at +200 approval, on how much a diplomat can affect what a country think of you, so you may need to address or wait out the other reasons why they dislike you as well if you want to get perfect relations.* Your diplomat stays in the foreign capital until he is recalled, so this does limit your diplomatic freedom a little. If you recall your diplomat, the 'improved relations' opinion will slowly decay by about 3 points each year.

- Insults
If you want to make some not like you, and maybe poke them into a war, say something mean. Insulting someone, reduces their opinion of you by -25 for ten years, and will also give them a casus belli on you for a year.

Overextension
In dev diary #13, we talked about how overextension worked.*This has now changed after lots of testing and tweaking, as the original design punished early expansion, while ignoring the problem of mid and late-game landgrabs.

Now, your overextension is now a value directly related to the amount of basetax you earning from non-core provinces. So a basetax 6 province gives you 6% overextension, no matter how big you are. So, even a normal conquest in a major war, say taking 2 or 3 rich provinces, can net you a significant overextension penalty which calls for a period of consolidation.

Coring Provinces
Since overextension changed, so has how you add provinces to your core. First of all, the price in administrative power points scales depending, again, on the basetax of the province. There are several ideas that decrease it for you, and increase it for your enemies. Secondly, coring is no longer instant. It takes 3 years, not counting any modifiers, to core it. All the while you still have the overextension penalties to cost of stability and to your revolt risk. Larger countries core province much more slowly, as each non-overseas province you own will increase coring times by 5%.

An overseas province of your own culture (such as a colony) is still instant to core, and costs 10% of the normal cost to core. We don’t want to discourage you from settling the New World because of delays in adding them to your core list.

For those of you who can read our script files, this what you pay for being overextended, with each factor mulitplied with the overextension percentage.
Code:
over_extension = {
	foreign_merchant_compete_chance = -4.0
	stability_cost_modifier = 2.0			
	papal_influence = -10
	mercenary_cost = 2.0
	diplomatic_reputation = -10
	global_revolt_risk = 20
}

Hope you'll enjoy a quick World Conquest now that you know how easy it will be.. And here is a completely unrelated screenshot.. just cause you know..

attachment.php

Attachments

• eu4_12.png
    eu4_12.png
    2,5 MB · Views: 30.329
Another great diary. Good job, EU4 team! Out of curiosity, in your own opinion, is a world conquest in EU4 even possible? If you played a game perfectly would it be possible at all to do a world conquest, or is there simply not enough time to do one and keep the realm from being thrown into chaos by overextension?

Lets see if any player can do it...

We'll definitely have an achievement for WC in ironman mode.

Questions: 1) If instant core purchases have been removed, has anything been changed with culture flipping? Can I immediately purchase a culture change for a province after conquering it as a means to reduce revolt risk? 2) Do the Ottomans still get a free core on Constantinople after conquering it, or do they have to wait 3 years as well?

Overextension is o u c h . I never did a WC, but I get the feeling I would better do it in EU3, if ever. Great work indeed, and this will be a great game (NIs notwithstanding :p ).

Questions: 1) If instant core purchases have been removed, has anything been changed with culture flipping? Can I immediately purchase a culture change for a province after conquering it as a means to reduce revolt risk? 2) Do the Ottomans still get a free core on Constantinople after conquering it, or do they have to wait 3 years as well?

1) culture flipping takes time as well.

2) no missions give cores anymore.

One important thing to know.. coring, culture changing, missionaries and buildings are all mutually exclusive. You can only do one of them at a time.

When coalition war starts, are coalition members forced to join the war, or have they a right to refuse?

If i'm reading the DD correct you can't back out once war starts, which makes sense coalitions are more limited purpose than alliances you know what you are getting into by signing on.

It's ok when you just need to "cut down to size" a pesky neighbour, but sometimes you'd like to say "ok, i'm in only if you grant me this core region, otherwise go die alone". Even sharing prestige or obtaining some extra diplomatic power/diplo relations with other members would be good.

The point of coalitions is to "cut down to size" a pesky neighbor anyways.

Indian provinces still appear to be massive but I think there's 1 or 2 more provinces in that region than in vanilla EU3, so I guess it's an improvement. Not sure what I think about the new overextension/coring system, making massive landgrabs impossible (or rather, unfeasible) is good but I don't like the idea of taking a province and almost immediately making it into a core. Will there be ideas that reduce overextension or the impact from overextension? I'm assuming that the OE taking over the Mamluks is going to be a DHE because I can't see the EU3 'conquest mission with no cores' approach being able to give a historical result.

Edit:

Actually if you conceptually change what a core means thematically (in game terms it doesn't really matter) then this new system actually makes perfect sense. Instead of it being the "core part" of a country, it's more like it's saying that the local government has been adapted to fit in with the new state's, either by co-opting existing aristocracy or replacing them. There's still a big difference between your real core - i.e. core provinces of your culture and religion - and recently conquered territory which has been cored but doesn't share your culture and/or religion. Other than perhaps some issues that the new coring system could cause with certain rebel types I'm actually pretty ok with it now.

2nd edit:

I managed to miss the "coring time goes up by 5% for each non-overseas province" thing. I guess that makes everything more reasonable though it does raise some concerns re: certain historical conquests where large countries conquered fairly large territories in one go.

Last edited:
What do the * represent in the DD? Are they referring to footnotes or something?

Great Dev Diary. These changes will make things much easier I'm sure.

Regarding over-extension, does that mean that the 6% over-extension mentioned above gives a stability modifier of x12 and a revolt risk of +120? How does that work?

1) culture flipping takes time as well. 2) no missions give cores anymore. One important thing to know.. coring, culture changing, missionaries and buildings are all mutually exclusive. You can only do one of them at a time.

Thanks for the responses! A quick follow up question: If I recall correctly, the Ottomans received a core on Constantinople from their special decision which moved their capital there. When you say missions no longer provide cores, do you mean decisions as well?

Great DD!Thank you!
But the base value of gaining core is 3 years?
Are you encouraging small countries to expand and get lands without core?
It seems missions like Conquest and Italian Ambition will be useless, since it's very easy to gain core.

Great DD!Thank you!
But the base value of gaining core is 3 years?
Are you encouraging small countries to expand and get lands without core?
It seems missions like Conquest and Italian Ambition will be useless, since it's very easy to gain core.

Maybe the time needed to core a province can be altered by cultural compatibility. It may not take three years if you're a small Saxon country trying to core a Saxon province. There might even be a bonus reduction just for being in the same culture group, making countries like Prussia more practical.

What do the * represent in the DD? Are they referring to footnotes or something?

Great Dev Diary. These changes will make things much easier I'm sure.

Regarding over-extension, does that mean that the 6% over-extension mentioned above gives a stability modifier of x12 and a revolt risk of +120? How does that work?
More likely, you multiply the overextension modifier by 0.06, with the full mod only being gained when you have 100%.

Well that makes more sense...and seems entirely logical.

- Improve Relations
To improve relations, you send a diplomat to their capital, and he will slowly increase their opinion of your country. There is a cap though, currently at +200 approval, on how much a diplomat can affect what a country think of you, so you may need to address or wait out the other reasons why they dislike you as well if you want to get perfect relations.* Your diplomat stays in the foreign capital until he is recalled, so this does limit your diplomatic freedom a little. If you recall your diplomat, the 'improved relations' opinion will slowly decay by about 3 points each year.

Please make some kind of reminder that +200 approval is reached. I would hate to need to check regualarly if it has allready reached +200.

Besides that, coalition sounds really nice.

We'll definitely have an achievement for WC in ironman mode.

Yeah! Ironman confirmed :) :).

Will peace terms (aka "gimme this, this and that!") be handled to reflect the own country importance or, even better, the contribution to the war? Another reason that makes me avoid alliances with AI (apart from being pulled into random wars) is that when it leads a war, tends to settle for its goals (ok, I'd do the same thing in its place) and the others get just a big thank you and a christmas postcard.

Interesting question, will it be possible to get something from a war without being the war leader?

Really like the new stuff here. Coalitions sounds great, scratch that, absolutely wonderful. In addition to overextension (You really don't want 100% there) changes and coring, culture and mission changes this sounds like a very good way to contain rapid conquest. And the fix to cascading alliance... Just awesome. Great DD Johan.

Oh and since diplomats are now characters (a bit like your chancellor in CK2 I suppose?) you send out on missions... How many diplomats do you have on average right now?

So, in addition to this coalition system, will there still be general alliances, not targeted at a specific nation? Or will those be limited to things like personal unions and vassals?