• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Europa Universalis IV - Development Diary 18th of January 2022

Greetings, and Happy New Year to everyone! Today we’re coming back to EUIV DD’s, after taking a couple of months’ break from them (unfortunately not due to long Spanish holidays, as some on the forums have suggested :p). What we’ve been doing in that time was already mentioned by Johan in the last DD: working on 1.32.1 and 1.32.2 patches, and then moving on to the next one, 1.33, that will be live later this quarter.

As Origins and 1.32.2 release have been mostly well praised (and we're very happy about that!), we thought that we wanted to move on 3 main points for the upcoming 1.33 patch:
1) Fixing most of the remaining bugs from 1.32/Origins.
2) Balancing some mechanics that had been on our list for a while.
3) Continue working to improve AI performance, as some issues appeared in 1.32.

Today I’ll be focusing on the game balance changes that we’ve been working on, as we still have some room for making changes before releasing the patch (although not new content, as we may be adding more in the next immersion pack we will be working on after this patch), and we want to receive some feedback on them from you, the community.

With Origins release, we’ve been able to revamp the setup and balance of Africa, and we’re pretty happy with it, in general terms. So, we thought of moving back to the Far East, as there were some balance issues that were not fully resolved by Leviathan although focusing in part on the SEA region. Regarding that, we were aware of the big discussion on Ming balance in the forums, thus it would be a good idea to tackle it for this patch.

Ming and the Emperor of China is a really hard tag and mechanics to balance out. It starts as the strongest country in the world, and MingBlob was not a desired outcome in past patches, as it hindered Eastern Asia gameplay (even affecting India super-region, as others have said). So, because of that Mingplosion being a regular outcome was useful for gameplay purposes, although Qing and other successors are not usually so successful when it comes to reuniting the EoC, being honest. For players, it's true that it's not the most challenging/rewarding tag to play with it, because it may be not too compelling to handle the disaster if you advance on Mandate of Heaven reforms, while at the same time it won't be a very challenging playtime, if you reach some snowball point early on (which is pretty doable by experienced players).

So, we’ve come with the following changes to Ming/EoC to try to balance it a bit better:

- The Celestial Empire now has a sixth reform available which allows vassalizing your own tributaries at the cost of Mandate.
- Confucianism has been buffed:
- All the modifiers from harmonized religions have been standardized in their power compared to other religions.
- Reduced the base Yearly Harmony from 1 to 0.25.
- Increased the Harmony cost of harmonizing a religion from 3 per year to 3.25.
- Religious Unity now gives +1 Yearly Harmony at 100% Religious Unity (can not go above that).
- Positive Harmony now gives: +3 Tolerance of the True Faith, -10% Development Cost, +1 Meritocracy, +0.5 Legitimacy, +1 Devotion, -0.5 Yearly Corruption, +50% Harmonization Speed.
- Negative Harmony now gives: +1 Yearly Corruption, +20% Stability Cost, -1 Legitimacy, -2 Meritocracy, -2 Devotion.
- Negative Stability now decreases Yearly Harmony by 0.25 per missing stability.
- Eastern Denominations religions harmonized now unlock monuments requiring it.
- The new Holder of the Mandate gains the following bonuses atop of their +0.05 Mandate: +12 Force Limit, -10% Land Maintenance, +15% Manpower Recovery Speed.
- The events of the Ming Crisis disaster now allow you to swap your country with one of the Chinese warlords you release in the event.
- Force Tributary CB (along with other CB’s with a specific purpose, as Restoration of Union and Subjugation) don’t allow taking of provinces any more.

The Idea of the Harmonization Speed increase at high Harmony is to encourage alternating between harmonizing a new religion and accumulating Harmony. It should be possible for you to be just as fast with harmonizing religions as somebody who is chain harmonizing all the time.

Apart from that, we’re doing the following changes to other countries on the Far East neighborhood:

- Manchuria Overhaul with the addition of Nivkh culture, Korchin having a vassal, redistribution of provinces and addition of the Amur Estuary (mostly following this thread in the Suggestions subforum, as we think it was really well thought: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/manchuria-again.1505121/).
- Moved the Vietnamese culture out of the Chinese culture group
- Added "Sinicize our Culture" for the Vietnamese and Korean cultures, allowing you to move with your culture into the Chinese culture group. The decision requires you to have a Chinese cultural majority in your country or being the Emperor of China
- Korea's starting heir has been buffed by +1/+1/+1. (The reason being to buff Korea a little bit, while Hyang is a little bit more average of a monarch than the game might suggest. Sickness shortened his life quite a lot, which played a huge factor for us to give him the benefit of doubt and increase his stats a little bit).
- Hanseong gained +15 Development as it was quite the big city in 1444 and comparable to the many big Chinese cities.
- Shinto countries now can use Buddhist monuments.

Finally, we’ve been also doing some changes regarding Portugal, Indian estates, a combat pips rework, and other stuff:

- The Castilian/Spanish mission "Recover Portugal" has been moved. Now it requires the completion of the missions "Subjugate Navarra" and "Reclaim Andalucia". The Restoration of Union CB has been moved accordingly too and is only available to Spain if both missions are completed. This change will make Portugal not so easily PU’d by Castile, as we were seeing this a lot in our nightly AI tests in the first 20 years of the game
- Portuguese ideas have been buffed, as we felt that they were a bit lackluster compared to other Tier 1 countries, and that Portugal was having a rough time in early game against Castile and other powers:
- Traditions: +10% Infantry Combat Ability instead of current +15% Trade Efficiency (to give Portugal a bit of punch in early game).
- Legacy of the Navigator: +10 Naval Morale instead of current -33% Morale hit when losing a ship (on par with Danish NI's).
- Encourage the Bandeirantes: +15% Trade Efficiency instead of +1 Merchant (basically reshuffling the older tradition into here).
- Royal Academy of Fortification, Artillery and Drawing: +1 Artillery instead of +10% Artillery Combat Capacity (so it gives some land punch in early-mid game while diminishing in late game, and extra naval punch, which is WAD).
- The Indian Estates now have access to their versions of powerful estate privileges such as "Strong Duchies", "Religious Diplomats", "Religious Culture" and "Nobility Integration Policy".
- Added a new decision for Muslim Indian countries, which allow you to replace the Brahmins with the Dhimmi if you own any province outside the Muslim or Dharmic religion groups.
- Added events for Alcheringa nations, which allow them to unlock their cults without the need to complete their missions. The events, however, have the same requirements to trigger as their mission counterparts.
- Forming Rome will now convert all provinces of your culture group to Roman.
- Ottoman missions are now available to Rûm.
- Regiments’ fire and shock pips now also count toward morale damage in their respective phases. Many of you will know that morale pips have been superior to fire and shock pips. This change will make the pips more equal in value, although morale pips may still be the better pick most of the time. To preserve the overall flow of battles, we’re thinking not to apply this to artillery protection from backrow, as it is asymmetrical.

So, after most of these changes being implemented, and some still WIP, this is what we’re seeing in our nightlies AI tests:

image (1).png

image (2).png

image (3).png

image (4).png

In some games Portugal is performing really well, while in others Spain is still a top dog in the Iberian Peninsula and America. Regarding China, you can see that Ming sometimes manage to stay stable, while Mingplossion still happens regularly, and even some of the successor states are able to blob a bit after it, recovering MoH.

This is all for today. We’re open to feedback and suggestions given by you to further improve the balance for 1.33, if possible; just remember to have civil discussions about them, as there were some hot-heated ones a couple months ago (basically regarding Ming balance), and we don't want that to be repeated.

Next week my fellow colleague @Gnivom will talk about the changes made to AI in the upcoming 1.33 patch (and yes, he will be tackling the AI deleting forts issue, among others). Hope you enjoy the DD!

• 150Like
  • 26Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
I would suggest also adjusting the Take Mandate CB so that you can't take any land unless you actually take the mandate (like independence CBs).

Otherwise the CB just becomes an exploit for neighbors to attack China anytime for half-price AE, and yet one more reason for people to decide that the mandate is awful and something to avoid rather than desire.

• 15Like
Reactions:
Concerning the fort deleting issue, I think that the idea in principle is good, but there are a few things that the AI needs to learn before it can do delete forts effectively:

After every war, the AI should re-evaluate the boundaries of its land (especially if it lost land) to see if it needs to build new forts to fill any breaches in its defense network from losing forts. Otherwise all of those "useless" interior forts it deleted long ago now means the enemy can walk right through its heartland uncontested. If it deletes forts, the AI also must learn how to build forts when necessary.

The AI should not just dismiss coastal forts as "interior" and delete them. I think I saw the Ottomans do this for Gelibolu. Strait-blocking forts and such should be viewed as critical for the AI.

Also, the AI should take into account when budget deficits are happening because of temporary factors (such as war reparations) and it shouldn't be doing effectively permanent things like deleting forts just to make up the shortfall from these temporary causes.

• 44Like
Reactions:
Not sure how I feel about the CE being able to vassalize and thus eventually annex tributaries, seems like a rather OP mechanic that goes against the whole tributary ethos.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Have there been any thoughts by Tinto about reworking naval doctrines?

More importantly, has the AI been taught how to properly use navies to quickly transport troops? Especially between their own provinces. I feel this should be a top priority AI rework.

I would like to see a game where I can no longer trap English troops in Ireland and have them watch helplessly as Scotland takes over England, all while the English have absolute naval supremacy the whole time.

Last edited:
  • 15Like
Reactions:
I think making AI to not make chinese warlord as tributary is essential too. Or give some event to make chinese warlord tributary as vassal when liberty desire is low will be good too. Also giving some buff for chinese reunification war is nice idea like reduced truce period.

• 12Like
Reactions:
One thing that I have never, ever seen in a campaign which I would like to see once in a while (say 2-5% of campaigns) is an expansionist, aggressive Ming. It would be interesting, should AI Ming get a militarist ruler, to see it blob outwards for once.

• 23Like
Reactions:
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Has anything been done about the duplicate ruler "Joan II" issue?

That is, the heir to Aragon and the starting ruler of Navarra are the same historical person (although the game makes their age different), and often these two doppelgangers end up at war with each other depending on what you choose for the Aragonese succession.

• 14Like
Reactions:
I suggest buffing the "Unify China CB". Its a very limited CB so it can't really be exploited by the player. Once China is unified it is unified.

But for the ai it would mean a rise of a new dynasty and a unified China.
Perhaps it would give time for multiple dynasties.

The buff to late game Ming/MoH/Confucianism is secondary to that. And doesn't really matter to me. I like that China is not an overwhelming force in Asia.

I'm glad Spain is less of a threat now.

I was hoping for focus on Eastern Europe personally. The Ottomans are crazy. Russia is a failed state. Poland is meh. The Norwegian countries have been ignored. Speaking of Sweden can we give Gustaf some great general pips?

I like seeing a free new world more often. Seems... historical.

Why don't the Mughals go into India?

My favorite change is finally making forming Rome an viable option. Rather than a nerf.

• 24Like
Reactions:
I would suggest also adjusting the Take Mandate CB so that you can't take any land unless you actually take the mandate (like independence CBs).

Otherwise the CB just becomes an exploit for neighbors to attack China anytime for half-price AE, and yet one more reason for people to decide that the mandate is awful and something to avoid rather than desire.
Removing the ability to take land with mandate CB just makes it harder to actually maintain the mandate, as you wont be able to take the cities of beijing, nanjing and canton within a concievable amount of time without it, meaning you will have 0 mandate immediately after taking it. Also it would ruin Oirat/Mongolia/Manchu gameplay, as you'd break the big dog of Ming only to spend 100+ years slowly annexing him.

• 3Like
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
So a piece of feedback:

Playing a Mongol or Jurchen tag without Mandate of Heaven installed is really painful because a bunch of the things that get in the way of Ming ruining your day are DLC-only features.

Is there any scope to have a look at this?

• 9Like
Reactions:
Removing the ability to take land with mandate CB just makes it harder to actually maintain the mandate, as you wont be able to take the cities of beijing, nanjing and canton within a concievable amount of time without it, meaning you will have 0 mandate immediately after taking it. Also it would ruin Oirat/Mongolia/Manchu gameplay, as you'd break the big dog of Ming only to spend 100+ years slowly annexing him.
Yes, I think this CB can be adjusted so that once a country acquires any province in the China super-region, it will automatically get Mandate.

No one said to remove the ability to take land with mandate CB. The suggestion is to require you to take the mandate as well if you want to take land. Which is what the mandate CB is about, after all.

• 4Like
Reactions: