• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Europa Universalis IV - Development Diary 16th of November 2021

Hello and welcome everyone to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. It is a few days since we released the Origins immersion pack and the accompanying 1.32 update. This was the first fully Tinto designed and developed release, and we feel proud of the result.

We can write a lot about how great it has been doing, but I want to focus on a few things in today's diary.

First of all, a thank you to all of you who are part of the community. It is sometimes hard to read when the work you have done is not good enough, but all the constructive feedback we have gotten this spring and summer have really helped us fix things for the 1.32 patch.

Secondly, I want to highlight how happy I am with seeing how you enjoy our new missions that our new CD team have designed. With a focus on more interesting experiences than just claims and buffs, it seems to be exactly what you, the community, wants. Hopefully we can attempt to revise some older ones in future updates.

Thirdly, and this ties nicely together to the next part of the diary, we have had a focus on fixing old bugs for EU4, and have managed to reduce our bug count in an unprecedented way for a GSG in the last 14 months. We want to continue this, and make sure that when we finally end development on EU4, the game should not have a large horde of bugs still around, like some previous games sadly have.

So, what happens now?

First of all, we aim to release another larger “hotfix” for any issues remaining, this should be out in good time before the Grandest Lan in December.

Secondly, we aim to release a larger patch with more fixes & improvements during late q1 next year.

After that we’ll start working on another immersion pack. This sadly means though, that for the next few months, there will not be a weekly development diary, but only ones when we have something new to say..

cheers!
origins.png

• 161Like
  • 7Love
Reactions:
Hope you don't limit yourselves to pure bugfixing and actually rework existing game and DLC features to be more viable, and work better together. As well as balance weaker options, etc. Same as the custodian initiative for Stellaris.
I personally won't buy anymore immersion packs unless the previous content is brought up to par.
I really want to second my support of a custodian team. I own all dlc except Origins, and I won't be buying any more until a custodian team is introduced.

Also I desperately want favor cooldowns to be on a per country basis. Using favors for money with Ming shouldn't stop France from giving me money if I have favors with them as well.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Hello and welcome everyone to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. It is a few days since we released the Origins immersion pack and the accompanying 1.32 update. This was the first fully Tinto designed and developed release, and we feel proud of the result.

We can write a lot about how great it has been doing, but I want to focus on a few things in today's diary.

First of all, a thank you to all of you who are part of the community. It is sometimes hard to read when the work you have done is not good enough, but all the constructive feedback we have gotten this spring and summer have really helped us fix things for the 1.32 patch.

Secondly, I want to highlight how happy I am with seeing how you enjoy our new missions that our new CD team have designed. With a focus on more interesting experiences than just claims and buffs, it seems to be exactly what you, the community, wants. Hopefully we can attempt to revise some older ones in future updates.

Thirdly, and this ties nicely together to the next part of the diary, we have had a focus on fixing old bugs for EU4, and have managed to reduce our bug count in an unprecedented way for a GSG in the last 14 months. We want to continue this, and make sure that when we finally end development on EU4, the game should not have a large horde of bugs still around, like some previous games sadly have.

So, what happens now?

First of all, we aim to release another larger “hotfix” for any issues remaining, this should be out in good time before the Grandest Lan in December.

Secondly, we aim to release a larger patch with more fixes & improvements during late q1 next year.

After that we’ll start working on another immersion pack. This sadly means though, that for the next few months, there will not be a weekly development diary, but only ones when we have something new to say..

cheers!
View attachment 774198
Have you reconsidered the decision not to add any new provinces?

Congrats!

Please fix the bug that colonial core costs only 10% of the normal governing cost, as it had become one of the most op in-game exploit. (it basically makes governing cost kinda irrelevant since players can leave all areas colonial cores excepts their capital)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Would you be willing to do a different kind of diary during the specified period? I would greatly appreciate if you talked about the team's vision for EU4 at length, as that has been a point of contention in the past. Developer diaries about design decisions you have made, question and answer diaries, design process diaries (especially for newer mechanics like mission trees), diaries regarding how new mechanics have developed compared to your expectations, and your general design philosophy could be fascinating and enlightening were you to share. Even taking the time to clarify some of the more opaque mathematics for combat or trade would be welcome.

yeah, someone else also mentioned similar things, as they appreciated the art and release ones as well

we'll look into something

• 22Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
ah yes the usual eu4 dev post that glosses over all the negative reviews and complaints from fans instead of acknowledging them and apologising for another failer to properly test basic things in the release

• 1Like
Reactions:
ah yes the usual eu4 dev post that glosses over all the negative reviews and complaints from fans instead of acknowledging them and apologising for another failer to properly test basic things in the release
Your response got 6 negative reviews. I hope you acknowledge them and apologise for failing to provide a post that people are happy with rather than gloss over those negative comments.

• 22Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hopefully we can attempt to revise some older ones in future updates.
Oh i do hope that Byzantium, France, Russia and Qing be redone. Qing should have more unique and less to none generic. Also it would be cool to make Qing ultimate formable in China like Mughals are for India. Russian missions are small for such a big nation. Like Player should be encouraged to procreate borders of Russian empire and more perhaps. Like go for Caucasus and Central Asia. France to me is about choosing direction. Like either go for Egypt or Algiers ans Sub Saharan Africa. And Byzantim, it's not only about name. I like what you did in Leviathan for Malay by allowing player to choose the name for nation, perhaps something like that could be done if you redo their missions. And perhaps integrate Triumphant decisions end certain events into missions while also adding new ones, like Triumph for Egypt or Alexandria captured event. These are just some of my thoughts and suggestions on what would i like to see if you guys choose to revisit some older missions.

Origins is a great release, the best in recent memory. What few game-ruining issues did exist were patched as soon as possible, and the update itself contained plenty of quality of life improvements. The new AI is much better, I can actually call allies to my wars again because they aren't thousands of ducats in debt. I also love that AI can colonize and use its navies now, and appreciate the nerfs to natives. I really love the Catholicism buffs, even though I haven't played in Europe since release, the fixes look like exactly the kind of boost the religion needed to be competitive with its neighbors. The new mapmodes are great, and the fact that the HRE Emperor retains all the unique bonuses after uniting into one country means I can do an HRE campaign without breaking my computer. There are so many other minor features/fixes in this patch I won't take time to list them all, but it seems clear that Tinto has been listening to the community feedback and making little tweaks to improve the experience.

I hope this patch is a sign of things to come from the new Tinto studio. We let y'all have it after Leviathan, so I think it's only fair to congratulate you when you hit one out of the park. Excited to see what you're doing with the rest of EU4, and hoping Tinto will be in charge of EU5!

• 3Like
Reactions:
These small things can be brought in new patches

1. Allow eastern Indian states to have Buddha as personal deity if Hindu as historically Magadha (mordern Bihar) , Pala Vanga (mordern Bengal) both were significant centres of Buddhism with the rulers being Buddhist with the county being Hindu.
Maybe allow any Hindu nation that ability if they ally a 100 dev buddhist nation

2. Bharat and Hindustan (India) have all Indic cultures as acceptable. In the game only Eastern or Western Aryan gets accepted rest non accepted which is pretty inaccurate

3. Hindus and Buddhists are heretics to each other like Sikhism and Jainism. In game they are considered separate religion

4. Hindu rulers with Buddha as a personal deity should get religious unity from Buddhist provinces. After 1.32 they already can use the Buddhist monuments

Reactions:
I hope only immersion packs - EU4 is just about ready to be retired, so EU5 can be developed in earnest (lets be honest, we all know that, if they're going to be releasing EU5, they've already started working on it).
I'd prefer a universally praised dlc full of community wishfulfilment to be the final send-off to eu4. Like holy fury was for ck2. Only immersion packs for a while is fine, but leviathan should not be the final major dlc. The bookend should be something as well-liked (not necessary as essential) as art of war. There doesn't have to be super game changing mechanics but at least some cool new minor mechanics would be nice, maybe related to country customisation, making certain tags feel more unique, peacetime management or emulating actually historical events better than the game currently does like they did for the improved Burgundian inheritance compared to previous versions. What I'd like most for the final dlc is to take in a few suggestions from the community. There's some quite good ones. Giving the final dlc the theme of implementing some fan suggestions, would be a symbol of cooperation towards the community. And this final dlc should be relatively bug free upon release. There's no time pressure. Play test it as long as you want or have pros try to break features. Just avoid a release like leviathan. adlc like this would rwarm my heart

This sounds great. Also i really want to advocate for a "in review", "denied" etc system for the suggestions subforum. The tags have had an immense influence in making the bug report forum better, players felt heard and aknowledged. I know that in the past, devs used to check the suggestion subforuma regularly but rarely answered. This not only had the effect that many suggestions went into the main forum for "better visibility" but also that many people simply thought that dev diaries are the only place to semireliably reach the devs, thus cluttering them and drowning out on topic discussion.
I can only repeat that the Tags in the bug report section have been one of the greatest changes over this year, really bringing back a feeling of being heard (combined with the great effort of some devs who regularly delve into discussions again).

Great idea and arguments ffor iit I hope something like this is implemented. I d love to see the suggestions the community made to be featured and not go to waste

• 1Love
Reactions:
I'd prefer a universally praised dlc full of community wishfulfilment to be the final send-off to eu4. Like holy fury was for ck2. Only immersion packs for a while is fine, but leviathan should not be the final major dlc. The bookend should be something as well-liked (not necessary as essential) as art of war. There doesn't have to be super game changing mechanics but at least some cool new minor mechanics would be nice, maybe related to country customisation, making certain tags feel more unique, peacetime management or emulating actually historical events better than the game currently does like they did for the improved Burgundian inheritance compared to previous versions. What I'd like most for the final dlc is to take in a few suggestions from the community. There's some quite good ones. Giving the final dlc the theme of implementing some fan suggestions, would be a symbol of cooperation towards the community. And this final dlc should be relatively bug free upon release. There's no time pressure. Play test it as long as you want or have pros try to break features. Just avoid a release like leviathan. adlc like this would rwarm my heart

Eh, the problem is that there's just so many different mechanics, its just adding more and more onto an already creaky system. Best to take a step back and allow for the streamlining that a new game would allow for - I'm not saying removing mechanics, mind you, just streamlining. For example, look at all the efforts to make internal politics more engaging - factions, estates, parliaments (plus similar systems, like militarism and the Feuillant/Dutch mechanics) - none of which really interact with each other. Figure out what works with all of these, what doesn't, and how they can interact with each other in some comprehensive fashion.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Scandinavia/Eastern Europe/Balkans/Anatolia immersion pack please. Make it interesting to play Sweden, Poland-Lithuania, or Russia again. Ottoman/Byzantium mission trees are so generic there's German OPMs that have more rewarding mission experience.

Make Denmark/Sweden/Norway inheritable via decision like the formation of Spain or Commonwealth to form Scandinavia. Add PU missions for each of the Scandinavian nations towards each other.

Add a 'Western focus' decision back into the game for Ottomans, Commonwealth, and Russia (in the past you had to conquer Vienna or Prague or something such), giving greater institution spread/reduced institution embrace costs (maybe alongside -5% tech cost?), and once again enabling some sort of path back into the Western military group. Being rewarded for expanding into Europe as these nations felt really good, because all other avenues of expansion are better/easier. I really enjoyed being incentivized to take on tough enemies early on (it's been a while since those decisions were removed but still).

Reactions:
"The rest of Europe" should be the next immersion pack.

Then "don't worry we haven't forgotten about you South America" should be next.

Then "the majors of the Islamic world" should be after that.

Reactions:
The next Immersion or Expansion Pack should Close the nodes, with South American Colonization and discovery by Spain and Portuguese, this would be awesome immersion or Expansion pack. The quantity of Indigenous tribe there, and the challenge would be awesome. As Portuguese had to defend the Brazil land against French, England, Netherlands and others European Nations, this will probably make a huge impact on the entire game. Because now we probably gonna see the Real Atlantic Trade War.

If I'm right on next Immersion or Expansion Pack be on SA, we probably may experience a new way of how those Europeans Nation behave with each other on the new world.
The true piracy war. :cool:

As well I wait for the rest of Europe receive a Immersion pack too.

But I'm very happy with the last 2 release, although I still doesn't have it yet, but still on my wishlist.

I don't really care about extra gameplay features but would like some AI / basic fixes.
- can we get a colonial nation like Portugal to actually try to reach the East Indies? This rarely happens in the games I play.
- Can we fix the war AI to make the enemy AI not try to prioritize sending it's armies as far away as possible all the time? This seems so illogal / ahistorical it's almost immersion breaking
- Can we do something to not make Spain/Portugal nearly always conquer and overrun the Maghreb?
- Spain also really does very poorly at colonization in most of my games. Not sure why but maybe it needs an AI tweak / boost?

I don't mind any of these nations failing but it would be nice to see them do things that are broadly historical.

Reactions:
I'm wondering if the 1.33 patch is a free patch similar to Manchu (1.29) and Poland (1.27) and will add some new mission trees.
Any ideas what it could be about?
I believe this would be something great while waiting for the next Immersion Pack. The next Immersion Package, I hope, will focus on the Baltic Sea: Scandinavian countries, Teutonic and Livonian Order, PLC and could also give some love to Silesia.

Prussia and Silesia need more provinces because Prussia has too few provinces, and Silesia resembles a moderately urbanized Poland, not Silesia. More Silesian provinces and division of the Silesia region into at least two regions: Lower Silesia and Upper Silesia. Silesia should gain more TAGs (at least formable) which would be fully in line with history. Silesian mission trees (generic Silesian mission trees and 3 unique mission trees for: united Lower Silesia, Upper Silesia and united Silesia) and events (e.g. the Silesian Wars) that would make this region much more interesting and historical.
It is worth noting that with the update of the Baltic Sea, a new culture could be added: Kashubian (western Slavic), Prūsai (Bałtcyka) and Schlesiener (Germanic). A potentially Germanic cultural group could be divided into three new ones: Lower Germanic, Upper Germanic and Netherlandic.

The free update could cover the Caucasus or Silesia, which require a lot of work.