• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Europa Universalis IV - Development Diary 16th of November 2021

Hello and welcome everyone to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. It is a few days since we released the Origins immersion pack and the accompanying 1.32 update. This was the first fully Tinto designed and developed release, and we feel proud of the result.

We can write a lot about how great it has been doing, but I want to focus on a few things in today's diary.

First of all, a thank you to all of you who are part of the community. It is sometimes hard to read when the work you have done is not good enough, but all the constructive feedback we have gotten this spring and summer have really helped us fix things for the 1.32 patch.

Secondly, I want to highlight how happy I am with seeing how you enjoy our new missions that our new CD team have designed. With a focus on more interesting experiences than just claims and buffs, it seems to be exactly what you, the community, wants. Hopefully we can attempt to revise some older ones in future updates.

Thirdly, and this ties nicely together to the next part of the diary, we have had a focus on fixing old bugs for EU4, and have managed to reduce our bug count in an unprecedented way for a GSG in the last 14 months. We want to continue this, and make sure that when we finally end development on EU4, the game should not have a large horde of bugs still around, like some previous games sadly have.

So, what happens now?

First of all, we aim to release another larger “hotfix” for any issues remaining, this should be out in good time before the Grandest Lan in December.

Secondly, we aim to release a larger patch with more fixes & improvements during late q1 next year.

After that we’ll start working on another immersion pack. This sadly means though, that for the next few months, there will not be a weekly development diary, but only ones when we have something new to say..

cheers!
origins.png

• 161Like
  • 7Love
Reactions:
Thank you. This is certainly a better release for EUIV than 1.31 was. While we talk about the next Immersion pack, I think Northern Europe is indeed the next one needed. It was a mistake to ignore it with Emperor and 1.30.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I just finished my Songhai campaign and I really enjoyed it, one of my favourite runs. The mission tree was done really well and no bugs encountered. Well done!
Now have to rest a few days, while listening to AC/DC and thinking what to play next. Maybe Venice or Brandenburg ->Prussia->Germany. I want to build some of the new monuments in Europe. I'm really satisfied with them, I really hope you'll add some more. As Songhai I had opportunity to build Sankore Madrasah, Great Mosque of Djenné and Aït Benhaddou.
I'm in the middle with Kongo. Went Catholic, converted Kongo and Central Africa, allied with Spain and once I'm finished I think I'm going to start Brandenburg/Prussia. I didn't had opportunity to play as Songhai but am definitely planning.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I had only one EU4 playthrough that was really boring. It was back when I thought it would be fun to start as colonial Brazil in 1538, I think. I've never been so unduly close to world domination than that time, for all the wrong reasons.

The game was just too easy, even in normal level; and outrageously unrealistic. To begin with, the most unlikely powers chose to help me get my independence. Then, Spain didn't really seem to care when I kept taking her colonies, one by one. Natives and slaves were not even a nuisance; they were more like if they didn't even exist.

Moreover, how nonsensical is the fact that the only available way to convince Brazilians that they could expand over those beautiful virgin lands, only protected by Tordesillas, was to convert them to Protestantism? Considering that it was a piece of cake to convert them despite the huge distance from Protestantism, I would say it was horridly unnatural.

Apart from being one of the most important aspects of that period, colonial America is also fascinating. I would love some day to be able to play that fun and interesting game that I imagined. Please Paradox, make South America's natives and American colonies the focus of the next immersion pack!

Reactions:
If paradox finishes the development of EU4 please put the team on Imperator and make it a great game. I think we can wait with EU5 for a while, giving time for paradox to fix it's internal issues and frankly to give a bit of a time between the two EU games so EU5 can benefit from more fresh ideas that would make the game different from EU4.

• 2Like
Reactions:
This sadly means though, that for the next few months, there will not be a weekly development diary, but only ones when we have something new to say..
Would you be willing to do a different kind of diary during the specified period? I would greatly appreciate if you talked about the team's vision for EU4 at length, as that has been a point of contention in the past. Developer diaries about design decisions you have made, question and answer diaries, design process diaries (especially for newer mechanics like mission trees), diaries regarding how new mechanics have developed compared to your expectations, and your general design philosophy could be fascinating and enlightening were you to share. Even taking the time to clarify some of the more opaque mathematics for combat or trade would be welcome.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm in the middle with Kongo. Went Catholic, converted Kongo and Central Africa, allied with Spain and once I'm finished I think I'm going to start Brandenburg/Prussia. I didn't had opportunity to play as Songhai but am definitely planning.
That's nice! I won't play as Kongo until 1.33 or so. I'm hoping that they add a monument there.
I definitely suggest trying out Songhai. At first, the income is so small that I had to take loans to embrace Feudalism lol. But once you get the gold times and build some economical buildings, the money starts rolling.
It's hard to decide between Venice and Brandenburg, both have very nice Monuments and I've always wanted to play as Venice. I tried it many times in 2014, but I failed each time, because of the Ottomans lol.
As for Africa, I plan to do more runs there in the near future. My top TAGs to try out are Mutapa, Kilwa, Ethiopia and Mali (Ajuraan is reserved in hopes for Harar being added in the future).

Reactions:
now I wonder who is next? We are still waiting for swedish flavor pack! After all Paradox is Swedish and needs to fill out their homeland with flavor!. I am eager to see what's next. ;)
Well, the achievement is called "Sweden is Not Overpowered!" As long as it stays in its current state, the name's true.

Let me finally congratulate eu4 devs. They finally for once in a long time thought about the gameplay, not dlcs for money, and fixed the unplayable eu4. Thank you for that! Feels like old eu4 with ai improvements but with now features. Great job on this one. Keep it up!

• 2Like
Reactions:
If paradox finishes the development of EU4 please put the team on Imperator and make it a great game. I think we can wait with EU5 for a while, giving time for paradox to fix it's internal issues and frankly to give a bit of a time between the two EU games so EU5 can benefit from more fresh ideas that would make the game different from EU4.

+ 1000

• 1Like
Reactions:
Baltic immersion pack, we need Polish and Lithuania, Denmark,Sweden and Norway And teutonic and livonian order missions and events, u can do event to spawn curland in Poland with missions to colonize new world and africa.

• 3Like
Reactions:
That's nice! I won't play as Kongo until 1.33 or so. I'm hoping that they add a monument there.
I definitely suggest trying out Songhai. At first, the income is so small that I had to take loans to embrace Feudalism lol. But once you get the gold times and build some economical buildings, the money starts rolling.
It's hard to decide between Venice and Brandenburg, both have very nice Monuments and I've always wanted to play as Venice. I tried it many times in 2014, but I failed each time, because of the Ottomans lol.
As for Africa, I plan to do more runs there in the near future. My top TAGs to try out are Mutapa, Kilwa, Ethiopia and Mali (Ajuraan is reserved in hopes for Harar being added in the future).
I tried Ethiopia a little bit. Good thing about Ethiopia is that they start with Feudalism being embraced. Bad things they're in civil war which is manageable, also being only Christian nation in predominantly Muslim region makes situation tuff. I tried to stay Coptic but Mamluks came down. I hoped Ottomans would wipe them out. I might try later another try with Ethiopia.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I tried Ethiopia a little bit. Good thing about Ethiopia is that they start with Feudalism being embraced. Bad things they're in civil war which is manageable, also being only Christian nation in predominantly Muslim region makes situation tuff. I tried to stay Coptic but Mamluks came down. I hoped Ottomans would wipe them out. I might try later another try with Ethiopia.
Sounds interesting. Maybe my next campaign in Africa should be with Ethiopia instead of Mutapa.