• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Europa Universalis IV - Development Diary 16th of November 2021

Hello and welcome everyone to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. It is a few days since we released the Origins immersion pack and the accompanying 1.32 update. This was the first fully Tinto designed and developed release, and we feel proud of the result.

We can write a lot about how great it has been doing, but I want to focus on a few things in today's diary.

First of all, a thank you to all of you who are part of the community. It is sometimes hard to read when the work you have done is not good enough, but all the constructive feedback we have gotten this spring and summer have really helped us fix things for the 1.32 patch.

Secondly, I want to highlight how happy I am with seeing how you enjoy our new missions that our new CD team have designed. With a focus on more interesting experiences than just claims and buffs, it seems to be exactly what you, the community, wants. Hopefully we can attempt to revise some older ones in future updates.

Thirdly, and this ties nicely together to the next part of the diary, we have had a focus on fixing old bugs for EU4, and have managed to reduce our bug count in an unprecedented way for a GSG in the last 14 months. We want to continue this, and make sure that when we finally end development on EU4, the game should not have a large horde of bugs still around, like some previous games sadly have.

So, what happens now?

First of all, we aim to release another larger “hotfix” for any issues remaining, this should be out in good time before the Grandest Lan in December.

Secondly, we aim to release a larger patch with more fixes & improvements during late q1 next year.

After that we’ll start working on another immersion pack. This sadly means though, that for the next few months, there will not be a weekly development diary, but only ones when we have something new to say..

cheers!
origins.png

• 161Like
  • 7Love
Reactions:
Glad to read you are considering going back and revising some of the older mission trees. Some of them feel a little stale now and it would be great for them to get an overhaul!

• 8Like
Reactions:
Like I have already mentioned before, I hope that the next Immersion pack is about Scandinavia and Baltic.

I just finished my Songhai campaign and I really enjoyed it, one of my favourite runs. The mission tree was done really well and no bugs encountered. Well done!
Now have to rest a few days, while listening to AC/DC and thinking what to play next. Maybe Venice or Brandenburg ->Prussia->Germany. I want to build some of the new monuments in Europe. I'm really satisfied with them, I really hope you'll add some more. As Songhai I had opportunity to build Sankore Madrasah, Great Mosque of Djenné and Aït Benhaddou.

• 5Like
Reactions:
You guys have done a great job on 1.32 & Origins! Here's hoping that the next immersion pack focuses on the greater Middle East. Countries like Ottomans, Persia or Mamluks could use a new mission tree with the same quality/flavor level as those you've released in Origins :)
I really think that mission trees for the middle east should be a free update for owners of Cradle Of Civilization.

Its an area that only needs that, nothing more nothing less.

Scandinavia and the Baltics however could use a lot more work in general, better events, more gov reforms etc.

• 10Like
Reactions:
Hello and welcome everyone to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. It is a few days since we released the Origins immersion pack and the accompanying 1.32 update. This was the first fully Tinto designed and developed release, and we feel proud of the result.

We can write a lot about how great it has been doing, but I want to focus on a few things in today's diary.

First of all, a thank you to all of you who are part of the community. It is sometimes hard to read when the work you have done is not good enough, but all the constructive feedback we have gotten this spring and summer have really helped us fix things for the 1.32 patch.

Secondly, I want to highlight how happy I am with seeing how you enjoy our new missions that our new CD team have designed. With a focus on more interesting experiences than just claims and buffs, it seems to be exactly what you, the community, wants. Hopefully we can attempt to revise some older ones in future updates.

Thirdly, and this ties nicely together to the next part of the diary, we have had a focus on fixing old bugs for EU4, and have managed to reduce our bug count in an unprecedented way for a GSG in the last 14 months. We want to continue this, and make sure that when we finally end development on EU4, the game should not have a large horde of bugs still around, like some previous games sadly have.

So, what happens now?

First of all, we aim to release another larger “hotfix” for any issues remaining, this should be out in good time before the Grandest Lan in December.

Secondly, we aim to release a larger patch with more fixes & improvements during late q1 next year.

After that we’ll start working on another immersion pack. This sadly means though, that for the next few months, there will not be a weekly development diary, but only ones when we have something new to say..

cheers!
View attachment 774198
First off I'd like to congratulate the team for a pretty solid release. I've had no bugs playing so far, which was not the case for the last few major patches.

One point I would like to reiterate though, I have commented on this previously, is that I'm a bit disappointed the Mamluks didn't receive any love in this Africa-themed DLC. Currently the entire country is basically an ottoman seat warmer and I feel there's a lot more the country could provide to the game with a fleshed out mission tree.

Other than that I have no complaints and am thrilled with the plethora of new mission reward types!

• 2Like
Reactions:
One point I would like to reiterate though, I have commented on this previously, is that I'm a bit disappointed the Mamluks didn't receive any love in this Africa-themed DLC. Currently the entire country is basically an ottoman seat warmer and I feel there's a lot more the country could provide to the game with a fleshed out mission tree.

Other than that I have no complaints and am thrilled with the plethora of new mission reward types!
This DLC was about Subsaharan Africa, not all of Africa. The Mamelukes will get addressed in a Middle East Immersion pack.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Maybe in future updates the Shintoizm should be able to get bonnuses from buddists monumets? Wright now it has 1 uniq monument for it which provide almost nothing - 0.5 prestige at tier 3, and before tier 3 - litteraly no global modifiers what so ever.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Scandinavian immersion pack with mission trees and more for Baltic, Pomerania, Silesia and PLC. More provinces for this regions will be very beautiful.

• 4Like
Reactions:
i like the patch and i like origins.

that said, I do not know if it fits in bug or suggestion, but i see a lot of bankruptcy in colonial nations or my vassals that are allowed to colonize. maybe even all nations that can colonize before they have the economy for it. All Ai that CAN colonize will colonize even if they do not have any ducats for it. Reading what i wrote, it sounds more like a bug ^^

Also if you switch to totemist the old leaders can be made into ancestors but will not give boni. (thx ludi)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Can you consider making it so that if a colonial nation expands into another colonial region, a new colonial nation is formed under the original's overlord? It's a bit strange seeing a colonial nation based out of the Caribbean that has portions of land in Mexico, New England, and Brazil.

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Congrats on the great release. I love the new units, the new music, and the nee mission trees. I REALLY love the bug fixes, performance, and stability improvements. Looking forward to more in the future.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Baltics immersion pack?

I really think that mission trees for the middle east should be a free update for owners of Cradle Of Civilization.

Its an area that only needs that, nothing more nothing less.

Scandinavia and the Baltics however could use a lot more work in general, better events, more gov reforms etc.

Yes, pls! Teutonic and Livonian orders still lack their own mission tree! And I'd love to see a tiny 3D Malbork castle on Marienburg!

Can you consider making it so that if a colonial nation expands into another colonial region, a new colonial nation is formed under the original's overlord? It's a bit strange seeing a colonial nation based out of the Caribbean that has portions of land in Mexico, New England, and Brazil.
So much this!

Hey Johan, Looking great. I've been thoroughly enjoying the latest update.

Just an idea: when you don't have a dev diary to share, you can always spur activity by asking questions to your community.
"- Which monuments do you like best we focus on next?
- What changes would love to see regarding x
- We're working on a mechanic related to y
- Which mission tree would you like seeing reworked most
- etc"

It works as a way to engage your community while also giving input towards yourself on stuff you're currently working on.

I agree!

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Count me as one more vote for a Scandinavia and Baltic DLC - and I have a hard time believing that Paradox would "finish" EU4 while leaving Sweden of all countries as poorly fleshed out as it is right now :)

(Mission trees for the Mamluks and Persia and reworks of the Ottoman and Byzantine trees would be appreciated a lot as well)

• 4Like
Reactions:
(Mission trees for the Mamluks and Persia and reworks of the Ottoman and Byzantine trees would be appreciated a lot as well)

Knowing PDX and their fans, I would suspect it might be bad buisness to leave the Byzatntines with an outdated as heck mission tree. I think its okay, but could use some more internal missions around what to do with the Turks after you reconquer Anatolia, the Anti-Unionist V Unionist conflict, and the succession crisis brewing (Konstantinos XI died without an heir, leaving his brother Thomas as the next in line. Thomas, didn't have a male heir)

• 2Like
  • 1Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I know I'll get a hammering for even suggesting this, but could it be at all possible to revise the Irish mission trees? They seem to be even worse than vanilla. Anything that incorporates Gallowglasses, replicates the 9 years wars, contacts with Spain and the Pope, surrender and regrant, the Lord Lieutenant and the Irish parliament, the Geraldine and Butler rivalry, would really help flesh out the area. As it is, it's just cbs after cbs then a reference to Trinity College and potatoes.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Congratz on a job well done. :)

• 4Like
Reactions:
I think this was a launch well done and I was very impressed on how quickly the PU stuff was fixed as well.
As many people are expressing their wishes, I'd like to add mine: a nice little mission tree for Trebizond. They have their own VH achievement and the mission tree could fit nicely around them trying to survive the coming onslaught. They are just an OPM but as one of the remnants of the Roman Empire this could be a lot of fun for players.

Last edited: