• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Europa Universalis IV - Development Diary 16th of November 2021

Hello and welcome everyone to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. It is a few days since we released the Origins immersion pack and the accompanying 1.32 update. This was the first fully Tinto designed and developed release, and we feel proud of the result.

We can write a lot about how great it has been doing, but I want to focus on a few things in today's diary.

First of all, a thank you to all of you who are part of the community. It is sometimes hard to read when the work you have done is not good enough, but all the constructive feedback we have gotten this spring and summer have really helped us fix things for the 1.32 patch.

Secondly, I want to highlight how happy I am with seeing how you enjoy our new missions that our new CD team have designed. With a focus on more interesting experiences than just claims and buffs, it seems to be exactly what you, the community, wants. Hopefully we can attempt to revise some older ones in future updates.

Thirdly, and this ties nicely together to the next part of the diary, we have had a focus on fixing old bugs for EU4, and have managed to reduce our bug count in an unprecedented way for a GSG in the last 14 months. We want to continue this, and make sure that when we finally end development on EU4, the game should not have a large horde of bugs still around, like some previous games sadly have.

So, what happens now?

First of all, we aim to release another larger “hotfix” for any issues remaining, this should be out in good time before the Grandest Lan in December.

Secondly, we aim to release a larger patch with more fixes & improvements during late q1 next year.

After that we’ll start working on another immersion pack. This sadly means though, that for the next few months, there will not be a weekly development diary, but only ones when we have something new to say..

cheers!
origins.png

• 161Like
  • 7Love
Reactions:
Congrats on the nice release! Origins seems to be one of the better releases in a while for EU4. With that let the speculation begin what the next immersion pack will focus on begin...

• 15Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Can I just take the opportunity to express my gratitude that Origins didn't contain anything like army professionalism or innovation, that I'd feel like I'd need for any campaign even if I was only going to play in Africa once or twice?

• 17Like
Reactions:
Hey Johan, Looking great. I've been thoroughly enjoying the latest update.

Just an idea: when you don't have a dev diary to share, you can always spur activity by asking questions to your community.
"- Which monuments do you like best we focus on next?
- What changes would love to see regarding x
- We're working on a mechanic related to y
- Which mission tree would you like seeing reworked most
- etc"

It works as a way to engage your community while also giving input towards yourself on stuff you're currently working on.

• 15Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Are there only immersion packs left ahead for EU4, or will there still be larger expansion DLC's to come?

I hope only immersion packs - EU4 is just about ready to be retired, so EU5 can be developed in earnest (lets be honest, we all know that, if they're going to be releasing EU5, they've already started working on it).

• 16Like
Reactions:
Good job on Origin. Love the mission trees so far.
It's maybe rude to ask. But is there any chance we have the update mission tree for the Ottoman, the Mamluk and the Persia?

• 6Like
Reactions:
Another expansion full of mission trees I won’t buy, then.

Here go my hopes that something big might be done in the aim of making EUIV less railroaded.

• 7Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Thirdly, and this ties nicely together to the next part of the diary, we have had a focus on fixing old bugs for EU4, and have managed to reduce our bug count in an unprecedented way for a GSG in the last 14 months. We want to continue this, and make sure that when we finally end development on EU4, the game should not have a large horde of bugs still around, like some previous games sadly have.

So, what happens now?

First of all, we aim to release another larger “hotfix” for any issues remaining, this should be out in good time before the Grandest Lan in December.

Secondly, we aim to release a larger patch with more fixes & improvements during late q1 next year.

After that we’ll start working on another immersion pack. This sadly means though, that for the next few months, there will not be a weekly development diary, but only ones when we have something new to say..

Yes, please. Bugfixing, balancing, and AI improvements is what this game needs for the foreseeable future. It's the things under the hood that can make EU4 into a greater game. I would trade a dozen inspired new mechanics for a better AI and fewer bugs.

Hats off to Tinto.

• 18Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Hope you don't limit yourselves to pure bugfixing and actually rework existing game and DLC features to be more viable, and work better together. As well as balance weaker options, etc. Same as the custodian initiative for Stellaris.
I personally won't buy anymore immersion packs unless the previous content is brought up to par.

• 12Like
Reactions:
You guys have done a great job on 1.32 & Origins! Here's hoping that the next immersion pack focuses on the greater Middle East. Countries like Ottomans, Persia or Mamluks could use a new mission tree with the same quality/flavor level as those you've released in Origins :)

• 4Like
Reactions:
Hey Johan, Looking great. I've been thoroughly enjoying the latest update.

Just an idea: when you don't have a dev diary to share, you can always spur activity by asking questions to your community.
"- Which monuments do you like best we focus on next?
- What changes would love to see regarding x
- We're working on a mechanic related to y
- Which mission tree would you like seeing reworked most
- etc"

It works as a way to engage your community while also giving input towards yourself on stuff you're currently working on.
This sounds great. Also i really want to advocate for a "in review", "denied" etc system for the suggestions subforum. The tags have had an immense influence in making the bug report forum better, players felt heard and aknowledged. I know that in the past, devs used to check the suggestion subforuma regularly but rarely answered. This not only had the effect that many suggestions went into the main forum for "better visibility" but also that many people simply thought that dev diaries are the only place to semireliably reach the devs, thus cluttering them and drowning out on topic discussion.
I can only repeat that the Tags in the bug report section have been one of the greatest changes over this year, really bringing back a feeling of being heard (combined with the great effort of some devs who regularly delve into discussions again).

• 19Like
Reactions:
now I wonder who is next? We are still waiting for swedish flavor pack! After all Paradox is Swedish and needs to fill out their homeland with flavor!. I am eager to see what's next. ;)

• 6Like
Reactions:
Congratulations on the marvelous immersion pack and thanks for the timeline!

This sadly means though, that for the next few months, there will not be a weekly development diary, but only ones when we have something new to say..
This might actually be an opportunity to take some time to share some non-content-design behind-the-scenes stuff. I for one read Rossarness's contribution to last week's dev diary with much interest (about the nightly simulations and using those to balance the game), as I did with SaintDaveUK's showing bits of the entire process from concept art to actual in-game model, two weeks ago. It helps to better understand how changes and additions to the game come to be and why they take time, among other things.
If feasible, I would happily read something about the work being done by the other team members, whose contributions may not be as obvious as things like mission trees but are also important to the game :)

• 12Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Good news about more fixes coming. This release already seems considerably better than the last.

• 1Like
Reactions: