• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Europa Universalis IV - Development Diary 14th of February 2023

Bonjour! Welcome to this week’s Development Diary where we will be taking a closer look at the new content for France. Before we begin, I would like to take a moment and discuss the idea behind giving content to France and other countries which have already received content of any form in previous years. The idea behind revisiting them for the upcoming DLC is that we want to elevate them up to our current standards of quality and aim at making these nations fun again for people who have completed several campaigns before, already. In addition, we consider France alongside the Ottomans and some of the other Great Powers as the final big bosses of the campaign, powerful and scary, but at the same time not railroaded towards success.

To be clear, the content displayed here (missions, reforms and events tied to the tree) will be part of the DLC. We’ll also be adding a lot of new content in update 1.35 for free, but we’ll talk about that later in March (although we already gave an early preview of that with the new Idea Groups). Please keep in mind that the values and art displayed here are far from final and will be further tweaked, with your feedback!

On a personal note, France is one of my most favorite countries to play and as such, I am extremely excited to unveil the extensive content I have prepared for them. The philosophy behind this content is to imprint as much of France’s history as possible within the confines of the game. As a result, playing as France you will experience the most extensive and intricate mission tree we have created since Rule Britannia, with 84 new missions, dozens of new events, mechanics, decisions, a new monument, government reforms, a new subject type and even new Revolutionary content included in the tree. Please enjoy reading through this Developer Diary and I hope you enjoy it!

So, starting off, let’s take a look at the new mission tree I have in store for you:

tree.png

Much like my previous work, this mission tree is also broken down into different parts, each with its own thematic direction, objectives and goals. The goal behind this extensive reward is to utilize the tree as a narrative vehicle to tell the story behind the growth and rise of the French kingdom from the end of the Hundred Years' War to the conquests of Napoleon.

It features a combination of some of the game’s most popular aspects, let’s take a look at some of the highlights.

The start of the game will greet you with a new event, telling the story of the Hundred Years War and the state of France. Some of the first missions at the very top of the tree will deal with retaking the cores back from England, making your cores cheaper to demand in a peace deal and awarding you with more crown land. The culmination of that path, from retaking Gascony and Normandy, to securing the Armorican Peninsula leads to the Crown of France, with a reward that will help you consolidate yourself as a great power:

CrownFrance.png

At the same time, on the right hand side of the tree, you will be called to decide the fate of Provence, with the choice to ask their monarch for a voluntary union under the French banner. By raising relations, a royal marriage, strong trust and favors you may earn yourself a powerful subject. Else, if you wish to conquer them, the reward will be a not-insignificant amount of Aggressive Expansion reduction, perhaps a great play for further conquest into Italy ?

provencalquestion.png

Ducal Lands of Avignon is a very important part of the experience, as it will let you decide the fate of a considerable part of your campaign. I really enjoy the dichotomy of choice in Europa Universalis IV so I opted to give the player as much of a choice as possible when it comes to shaping your world, country and even your mission tree. Thus, this mission will give you the choice between amending your relations with the Pope and taking on the sword of Christianity back into the Holy Lands or denouncing his authority and gaining more missions for conquering Italy, that compliment the main Italy branch further below.

FrenchAvignon.png

But wait a minute, you may ask: Why do I receive a mission path to conquer Italy if I amend my relations with the Pope and proclaim a mutual friendship and alliance ?

Should you decide to side with the Pope and forge a bond between your nations, your missions around Italy will shift significantly. You are no longer conquering Italy DIRECTLY for the crown of France. You will be doing it as the righteous sword of the Holy Father and thus completing missions in the Italian Peninsula will cede these territories to the Pope and grant you powerful bonuses to strengthen both your nation and the Papal States:

papItaly1.png

You will of course have the choice to shift your approach before you embark on this conquest path, instead opting to have Italy directly for yourself.

Let’s take a look at some of the highlights on this path:

goldenmarch.png

The Golden March will either have the Pope coronate your ruler or grant you a new type of evolving modifier. This reward will grow in strength as you conquer Italy, with each mission you complete.

hhousegod.png

Note: The second part of the reward is not an error per se, rather I still need to implement a new Great Project in the French region

The tree offers a vast array of new events, one of which is the Treaty of the Golden Bulls, a way to demand direct allegiance from the Pope as you have been very successful in conquering Italy for the Holy See.

goldenbull.png

As noted further above in the mission tree, the Papal States has a right to decline both the initial cooperation agreement and the Treaty of Golden Bulls, albeit the latter will bring forth dire consequences in the form of stability, prestige and devotion loss.

This path ends with the mission ‘Expand the French Domain’ which will seek to consolidate all of Italy under either the Papal or French banner:

french domain.png

Note: changing your Catholic religion will result in the tree defaulting back to its direct-conquest approach, erasing all rewards earned from this path.

Simultaneously, you will need to safeguard your southern borders, dealing with Iberia. You can either help an Iberian country towards consolidating their power in the peninsula (more on that in a future Dev Diary) or choose to conquer the region for the French Crown.

KINGDOMSSPAIN.png

(This reward may be a bit too strong, but please keep in mind that you will lose it should you conquer any land in Iberia. Further balancing will take place!)
Before we move on to further parts of the tree, the left side of these paths will lead into Facing the Habsburg / HR Empire. As shown before, here you will find a difficult choice: To unite the HRE and revive Charlemagne’s ambitions or shatter it and take it all for yourself!

habsring.png

The path to diplomatically gain land in the HRE via contesting the Emperorship will reveal some interesting missions, let’s take a look:

By swaying the opinion of several electors and securing their crucial vote, while outgrowing the current emperor in terms of land, prestige and diplomatic ability, we will gain the following reward:

sway.png

The current Emperor, will receive an ultimatum in the form of an Event with the following options:

charl.png

The first option will relinquish the emperorship to France, but the AI will almost NEVER (in all caps) opt for this option. The second option will use funds from the Imperial treasury to block France’s ambitions for imperial ascendance while the third option will enable the Austrian player to counter the claim and receive a special Restoration of Union CB on the throne of France. This option will only be pursued by the AI when it’s militaristic and/or when it’s confident in its ability to eradicate the French in the field of battle (will make for some interesting multiplayer scenarios!)

Through the other missions (‘Right by Blood’ and ‘Means of Expansion’) you will interact with new unique rewards in the form of events and evolution of great projects for owners of Leviathan:

versailles.png

Of course the tree would not be complete without the customary “Beat England” path which is thematically tied in with colonial and Low-Countries related missions:

bayfur.png
london.png

Conquering the British Isles will result in the following event:

frenchisles.png

(The values here are experimental, especially since Ship Cannons is a new modifier I wanted to introduce in 1.35!)​

The alternative option would grant us a powerful permanent reduction to Culture Conversion cost, the ability to concentrate development without losses as well as the unique mechanic of reducing separatism in provinces we concentrate development from!

frenchchannel.png

franceruleswaves.png

(Another example of a new modifier I was very excited to talk about, Max Number of Flagships!)​

This concludes the first part of the French mission tree, out of three! Moving on, let’s take a look at my favourite part: Internal management and flavor missions!

Let’s begin by making a quick remark about the new subject types of France, the Appanages, in order to highlight the importance behind the gameplay of France’s path towards centralization.
They will have a few unique subject interactions and they are only accessible by France. Their liberty desire will be quite high at the start of the game, for 2 reasons:
  • They need to feel like a threat to the French dominion
  • Burgundy’s mission League of Public Weal should now have an actual impact, raising the French subject liberty desire to above 50%
appanages.png

(Appanages will have their own art and more in the final release!)

jeanburreau.png

An interesting note about this mission, one of the ways to complete it, is by having Jean Bureau win several times on the battlefield!
And here’s a barrage of flavorful missions, enjoy!

1676293468221.png

sorbonne.png

sorbonneevent.png

gendarmes.png

I should note here that one of the biggest proponents of 15th and early 16th century gameplay will revolve around centralizing the state and concentrating power in the hands of the monarch. As such, France will start the game with this Tier 1 unique government reform:

t1old.png

Which will be removed and replaced by this around the 16th century as you increase your crown land, centralize and steer the glorious nation of France to a new era:

frenchabsolutism.png

This will open the door to further facilitation of imperial ambitions both at home and abroad:

The French Musketeers are no longer a simple abstract Age Ability! They are now a cool new special unit armed with +10% Fire Damage and very ample in its numbers. The reform itself will grant you access to around 50% of your forcelimit as Musketeers so they cannot be as powerful as other special units and of course these numbers are definitely not final!

Also, feel free to suggest a colour for the French Musketeers (meaning, a tone of Blue, as the BBB deserves )!

musketeers.png

You may ask “So France now gets both Fire Damage from the Age Ability AND their special units?”
Sacrebleu no! Their Age of Absolutism ability is now this:

frenchabss.png

(The art is not final)
I felt like the one nation that defined the era and the meaning of Absolutism, deserves its own brand of it. More details on Ages and Splendor abilities in the future!

Moving on, Colbert was a very influential figure in France, in his time. As such I wanted to portray him in his own mission, with a cool new reward type which depends upon the choice you make in the ‘Colbert’ base game event. (If you have not received the event, you will instead receive the event and a large amount of Mercantilism). He was incredibly important to France and I encourage you to visit his page and learn more about him!

colbert.png

warsofreligion.png

letatcestmoi.png

firesindustry.png

Note; my original plans for this canal was to convince the team to let me carve an actual canal connecting the Cote d’ Argent with the Mediterranean but alas it is sadly not within our capabilities.​

Moving on, let’s take a look at Revolutionary content for France. As a player myself, I understand that it’s difficult to stick to a campaign and at times it gets less fun the later the game goes, and that’s part of the reason why I strived to give France as much flavor, missions, events, reforms etc as possible, to help the player (and myself) reach the Age of Revolutions in order to enjoy the content I made for it.

france1792.png

grandeearmee.png

crossrhine.png

Completing the missions regarding the Peninsular War and Invading Italy, will reward you with powerful new tools, ripped straight from the National Ideas of the countries you conquered. In Spain case, for example you will receive a 10% increase to your Morale of Armies. However, the real twist here is that if you complete these missions with a subject owning these regions, the subject’s color will change to reflect yours. And this is where I want your feedback my beloved community:

nap spa.png

(Colors are restored upon regaining independence!)
Should the colors be a 1:1 representation of the French color, or should they be a similar but somewhat different shade for better border readability? I personally lean towards the latter option.

The conquest branch ends on the following mission:

domeurope.png

Simultaneously, you will be able to follow the path of Napoleon’s internal affairs and recreate some of his accomplishments.

reformguard.png

Note: I decided to make these decisions, which empower your Revolutionary Guard, mutually exclusive because whilst I love playing France, they should not be able to employ scores of super soldiers. However, each decision will impact the above mission differently, so choose wisely!

napcode.png

Before we part ways, I would like to hear your opinion on the following change. I decided to give France a new set of Ideas and would love to hear your thoughts on it. The reason behind this change is clear; I want France’s idea set to be reflective of the time period between 1444 and the revolution, with a second idea set adopted upon embracing the Revolution:

Starting French idea set:

FRA_ideas = { start = { diplomatic_reputation = 1 global_manpower_modifier = 0.2 } bonus = { development_cost = -0.1 } trigger = { tag = FRA if = { limit = { has_dlc = "Emperor" } is_revolution_target = no } else = { is_revolutionary = no } } free = yes #will be added at load. lessons_hundred_years_war = { army_tradition = 0.5 land_morale = 0.15 } fra_taille = { global_tax_modifier = 0.1 war_taxes_cost_modifier = -0.5 } estates_general = { reform_progress_growth = 0.1 global_unrest = -1 } europes_first_standing_army = { discipline = 0.05 } native_trading_principles = { native_uprising_chance = -0.5 native_assimilation = 0.5 } divine_right_to_rule = { core_creation = -0.1 max_absolutism = 5 } vauban_fortifications = { defensiveness = 0.15 garrison_damage = 0.5 #Note for the modders, it’s a float for casualty damage (mostly for MP) }

Revolutionary France idea set:

FRA_ideas_2 = { start = { max_revolutionary_zeal = 5 harsh_treatment_cost = -0.5 } bonus = { siege_ability = 0.2 } trigger = { tag = FRA if = { limit = { has_dlc = "Emperor" } is_revolution_target = yes } else = { is_revolutionary = yes } } free = yes #will be added at load. revolutionary_tribunal = { years_of_nationalism = -10 } elan = { land_morale = 0.15 morale_damage = 0.05 } mandats_territoriaux = { production_efficiency = 0.15 inflation_reduction = 0.05 } liberty_egalite_fraternity = { tolerance_heretic = 1 tolerance_heathen = 1 } jourdan_law = { manpower_recovery_speed = 0.2 } napoleonic_tactics = { military_tactics = 0.1 drill_gain_modifier = 0.5 } european_ambitions = { core_creation = -0.2 } }

For reference, here’s the old 1.34 set that France has:

FRA_ideas = { start = { diplomatic_reputation = 1 global_manpower_modifier = 0.20 } bonus = { discipline = 0.05 } trigger = { tag = FRA } free = yes #will be added at load. french_language_in_all_courts = { diplomatic_upkeep = 1 } elan = { land_morale = 0.20 } estates_general = { global_tax_modifier = 0.1 } native_trading_principles = { native_uprising_chance = -0.5 native_assimilation = 0.5 } vauban_fortifications = { fort_maintenance_modifier = -0.2 } the_philosophes = { technology_cost = -0.1 } liberty_egalite_fraternity = { tolerance_heathen = 2 tolerance_heretic = 2 } }

As a player, I find it immersion-breaking to have ideas for the Revolution before / without embracing the Revolution itself, and that’s part of the reason why I wanted to make this addition.

As I mentioned before, the tree hosts 84 new missions, dozens of events and so much more content than I could display here, without taking over your entire day reading and writing. This Dev Diary barely scratches the surface of what’s to come for France and I am very excited to hear your thoughts on it.

That is all for this week, thank you all so much for taking the time to read through this Developer Diary and please do come back next week, where @Pavía will be discussing new content for Iberia!

chapel_france_DD.png

Attachments

• sway.png
    sway.png
    142,7 KB · Views: 0
  • habsring.png
    habsring.png
    1.016,9 KB · Views: 0
  • versailles.png
    versailles.png
    140,8 KB · Views: 0
  • versailles.png
    versailles.png
    140,8 KB · Views: 0
  • 94Like
  • 36Love
Reactions:
Burgundy and Brittany should be appanages

If France is going to have an appanage system, then Burgundy and Brittany should be included among its subjects. Both of these tags are supposed to be ancient appanages under the French crown. In fact, they were the prototypes behind the entire French appanage system.

Burgundy was the original appanage, granted by Henri I of France to his brother Robert in 1032. This appanage was maintained under Robert's descendants for over three centuries until their extinction in 1363, upon which Burgundy reverted back to the French crown and Jean II de Valois immediately re-issued it as a new appanage under his son Philippe, founder of the EU4 de Bourgogne dynasty.

EU4 Brittany began as an appanage (as the county of Dreux) given to Robert I of Dreux by his father Louis VI of France in 1137. One of his descendants married the heiress of Brittany (at the time a separate vassal of France) in 1213, securing its dynastic control under the French crown.

Whatever appanages are in the game, their mechanics should be built accurately enough to sensibly include both Brittany and Burgundy, and at the same time be flexible enough to allow these two tags to be independent actors as they were historically. Burgundy was in a civil war with Orleans, Armagnac, and other French appanages in the early 1400s. Brittany had an on-and-off alliance with the English throughout the Hundred Years War.

Ideally, introducing a new subject type would finally give us a way to model the long-time vassalage relationship that Burgundy and Brittany are supposed to have under France, which the game currently pretends doesn't exist.

Provence should also be an appanage, renamed Anjou

Rene de Anjou's senior title was Duke of Anjou, making him a peer of France and a prince of the blood. His great-grandfather Louis I was the son of Jean II de Valois, who in 1356 issued the County of Anjou (later elevated to a duchy in 1360) as an appanage to Louis, around the same time that Jean II appointed his other son Philippe Duke of Burgundy.

When Rene died in 1480, the Duchy of Anjou passed to his nephew Charles IV. When Charles IV died without an heir, the Duchy of Anjou reverted back to the control of the French crown.

The examples of Burgundy and Anjou demonstrate a general principle about appanages: they "expire" when the cadet branch ruling them goes extinct, whereupon the land returns to the King of France.

Appanages should be quasi-independent entities

To model this, I think appanages should be allowed to declare war on one another, on France, hold their own subjects, and also be able to conduct their own independent foreign policy. In some respects similar to Japanese daimyo.

One possibility would be to allow appanages to progressively unlock more diplomatic options such as foreign royal marriages, foreign alliances, and declaring wars as their development exceeds certain thresholds (relative to France). Basically, appanages become more like independent states as they grow more powerful relative to the crown. This way Burgundy would behave like an independent state, Bourbonnais would behave more like a loyal vassal, and Brittany would be somewhere in between.

But wars between France and its appanages should be uncommon events which are hugely destabilizing to French society, and so these should come with serious penalties for the attacker. If France attacks an appanage, then this should massively lower loyalty and trust with all of its appanages and also give a diplo rep hit. On the other hand, an appanage which attacks France should take a huge hit to legitimacy, stability, diplo rep, and trust/opinion with other appanages. In both cases the defender should get a -100 opinion of the attacker. A feudal lord is supposed to protect his subjects; the subjects are supposed to remain loyal.

These penalties should still apply in a reduced form if either France or the appanage gets called into war by an ally against the other. The prototype case here is Burgundy being called by England into the Hundred Years War against France. Historically, this was a difficult and desperate decision made by Philippe III of Burgundy, who was caught between England on one side and his Orleanais enemies on the other. He considered siding with England to be the least bad of the terrible options he had, but this was naturally seen as a huge betrayal by French society, bringing many ill consequences for Burgundy as a result. So in the game, I think Burgundy should indeed get the penalties above for doing this (but not as much as if it had been the main attacker).

Diplomatic annexation should not be a simple thing with appanages

The main reason why appanages caused such a headache for French kings is precisely because they had protected feudal rights which prevented the crown from simply revoking (i.e. annexing) them at will. So appanages should not be something that France can just annex after waiting for 10 years. And, of course, we definitely don't want France to just start annexing Burgundy in 1454.

To model this, I would tentatively propose that diplomatic annexation of an appanage should only be allowed if France holds a PU over that appanage for 20 years. In other words, France has to jump through all of the usual tricky hoops for getting a PU, except that the bonus here is that it only has to wait 20 years instead of 50 to start integration. To implement this idea, the game needs to be able to recognize a subject which is both an appanage and a PU.

But what if another nation gets a PU on an appanage, or if an appanage should die without an heir?

While an appanage should be allowed to RM other nations, it should be blocked from falling under PU to anyone aside from France, in the same way that nations at war currently cannot become junior PU partners. Instead, they get a new ruler of the RM partner's dynasty.

As for dying without an heir, this leads us to the next section, which arguably should be a central distinguishing feature for appanages, given how the nature of being a feudal appanage is fundamentally based on dynastic ties with the French monarchy.

Mechanic proposal: dynastic succession in appanages

First of all, appanages should be locked into being feudal monarchies. They are by definition feudal subjects of France created for cadet branches of the royal dynasty, so no republican or theocratic nonsense should be allowed here.

That said, I think an appanage which dies without a male heir should trigger an event about being re-absorbed into the French crown. This is famously what happened to Burgundy when Charles the Bold died and Louis XI declared the French duchy of Burgundy reverted to the crown, which led to the succession war we call the Burgundian inheritance in EU4.

On the other hand, when the line of Burgundy went extinct in 1363, Jean II decided to re-issue the appanage under his son Philippe as the new Duke of Burgundy. So there should be different possibilities for how to resolve a succession crisis for an appanage.

One way of implementing this would be to have France get an event when an appanage ruler dies without a male heir. When this happens, France gets an option to either re-absorb or re-issue the appanage under a member of the ruling French dynasty:

----- 1) If France chooses to re-issue, then the appanage gets a new ruler of the French dynasty and a big loyalty bonus to France. France gets 100 diplo points.

However, if the appanage is very large (say >100 development, or more development than France), then the appanage gets the option to refuse a re-issue order (this being a rather bossy demand to impose on such a powerful subject), upon which France can choose to compromise by recognizing the current appanage ruler. The outcome here is similar to that of re-issuing: France gets a +100 opinion bonus from the appanage and again 100 diplo points.

If France doesn't like this counter-offer, then it can flatly refuse, which automatically reverts it to choosing the next option...

----- 2) If France chooses to re-absorb, then it immediately gets cores on all French region land held by the appanage + its subjects (so for Burgundy this would include the French duchy of Burgundy, but not Burgundian land in the Low Countries). Then the appanage gets an event where it can decide to either accept or refuse the decision.

---------- 2a) If it accepts, then these French lands are surrendered by the appanage + its subjects and given to France as cores (this may mean complete annexation by France). The appanage gets -100 opinion of France, on top of the now-present "has a core" and "wants your provinces" modifiers.

---------- 2b) If it refuses, it immediately breaks the appanage relationship, France gets a -100 opinion of the appanage (on top of the now-present ""has a core" and "wants your provinces" modifiers), and France gets a special re-absorption CB.

So what is this re-absorption CB? It has a long timer, say 50 years, and it lets declare France war on its former appanage to re-instate the appanage relationship and/or also take French cores for very little AE. In particular, France can take some cores and also re-instate the appanage, but it isn't allowed to re-instate the appanage if it takes all of the appanage land in the France region (as this would make no sense).

The point of this design is to offer two strategic choices with neither one being always superior to the other. If an appanage has grown extensively beyond its native French lands (such as Burgundy), it may be better for France to play the long game, re-issue or recognize the appanage to maintain friendly relations, and aim for a future PU rather than rushing to re-absorb it by force, which may get it only the French domains and lose the chance of winning the whole prize.

Proof of concept: modeling the Burgundian inheritance through appanage succession mechanics

So how might these succession mechanics work in practice?

Well, suppose Burgundy's ruler Charles dies with a female heir Marie. Marie becomes the new ruler.

Marie of Burgundy gets a letter from France demanding re-absorption. France gets cores on Dijonnais and its state, Artois, Picardy, etc.

Marie refuses. Therefore Burgundy breaks its appanage from France and becomes an independent state under Marie.

Meanwhile, France gets a special re-absorption CB on Burgundy.

After considering several offers, Marie decides to marry and ally Austria.

France attacks Burgundy + Austria and grabs all of its cores back (but doesn't re-instate the appanage).

Marie continues to rule the remaining (independent) Burgundy.

Later, Marie dies and Burgundy falls under a PU to Austria.

Long story short, we have re-enacted the historical Burgundian succession crisis, done organically through a natural mechanic modeling French appanages, rather than through a one-time railroading event designed specifically to hit a specific ruler of Burgundy (the game even prevents us from disinheriting him just to force the crisis to occur).

Thus, we get an EU4 France with appanage mechanics complex enough to re-create the historical Burgundian succession, while at the same time flexible enough to allow for an open-ended sandbox of possibilities. They could lead us to a Breton or Orleanais succession instead of Burgundy.

In conclusion: if the game is going to do French appanages, then it should do them right. This means a more ambitious mechanic design which can capture all of the historical situations outlined in this post.

Last edited:
  • 98Like
  • 10Love
Reactions:
You know what would be perfectly synced to showing France some love? Redoing the colonial policies, so that there's more purpose to use anything but the one which removes the risk for uprisings!

• 3Like
  • 1Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I admitedly don't have any statistics on this (does Paradox? and if so, it'll be very interesting to see these statistics), but what proportion of players play until the revolution? I can understand that there's good reason to heavily reference the french revolution for a french mission tree, but I have a feeling not many people will care for missions/features gated behind the revolution since it appears so late.

• 1Love
Reactions:
While we're on the topic of France, I think there needs to be a few game balance adjustments to the 1444 start concerning the Hundred Years War.

I remember back in the old versions of EU4 where England begins the game at war with France + its vassals. This meant that England was unable to gain new allies until the war was over, which meant that if it was going to defeat France then it would have to do it alone. Which seems like a reasonable thing to demand if England is to get a prize as big as a PU on France.

But nowadays the HYW has become too easy for England. The reason is because England can simply ally Castile, Aragon, and/or Burgundy, and then call them all in on France when the Surrender of Maine triggers by promising land. In fact, this makes the war so easy that England sometimes does not even need to participate to win. Yet England walks away with a PU on France, which is ridiculous for such an easy task.

I think for proper 1444 game balance, England actually winning the HYW should be a very difficult achievement to pull off, comparable to Byzantium surviving the Ottomans. At the very least, England should not be allowed to pull in Castile, Aragon, or Burgundy to do it. And certainly not by promising land, since England is going for a PU!

(as a side remark, I think union CB in general should prevent you from calling in allies by promising land)

One very simple fix which would at least prevent these abuses for a while would be to start 1444 with 10-year truces between France/Castile and France/Aragon. On the other hand, Burgundy should be made an appanage of France and thus unwilling to join England in wars against France unless it has extremely low opinion of France (which it shouldn't start with in 1444). This means that England will not be able to call in France's big neighbors if it refuses the Surrender of Maine.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Since you are reviewing revolutionary content, is there any chance that you will make the revolutionary flags completely moddable?

Also, blue Hispania? Is this a sign that we can change country colors without altering the checksum?

Completing the missions regarding the Peninsular War and Invading Italy, will reward you with powerful new tools, ripped straight from the National Ideas of the countries you conquered. In Spain case, for example you will receive a 10% increase to your Morale of Armies. However, the real twist here is that if you complete these missions with a subject owning these regions, the subject’s color will change to reflect yours. And this is where I want your feedback my beloved community:

(Colors are restored upon regaining independence!)

Edit: Looks like a Y E S to color changes, per Big Boss. :D

This is a new effect we have implemented, usable also by mods! Comes with a restore color effect as well :)

Last edited:
  • 14Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
It is nice to see that Iberia getting updated. Spanish and Portuguese Empires historically were powerful and can be useful buffers against the Ottoman Empire but the maghrebi nations suffer from them being too powerful. In the game they get conquered quickly by iberians most of the time but in reality Moroccans defeated the Portugal at the Battle of Alcacer Qubir and resisted colonial attempts until 20th century. It would be nice to update Morocco in order for them to survive.

Last edited:
  • 24Like
Reactions: