• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Europa Universalis IV - 8 June 2021 - New monuments chosen for 1.31.5

Good news everyone! Today we’ll be presenting the new monuments that shall be introduced in 1.31.5 (coming soon, for those who wonder).

But first, let me introduce myself. I’m Pavía, and I’ve been a forumite for more than 15 years before joining Paradox Tinto team, a couple months ago. Apart from being in the Forums, I’ve spent most of this time playing Paradox games for thousands of hours, since the first Europa Universalis. Oh, and I also hold a Ph.D. in Medieval History, but that’s probably the less important thing in my current CV.

That said, onto the monuments. First I’ll present to you the ones that were most voted among the community:

The first is El Escorial, the famous palace-monastery built at the orders of king Philip II in the outskirts of Madrid:

monastery_of_el_escorial.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
−0.01 Monthly autonomy change
+5% Governing Capacity
Global modifiers:
−0.025 Monthly autonomy change
+10% Governing Capacity
+10% Global Tariffs
Global modifiers:
−0.05 Monthly autonomy change
+15% Governing Capacity
+20% Global Tariffs

The second one is the Holy City of Jerusalem. As it’s known, this city is a sacred place for Judaism, Christianism and Islam, and that religious crossroad is portrayed:

old_city_jerusalem.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Area modifiers:
+1% Local missionary strength

Global modifiers:
+0.1 Yearly Prestige
+1% Missionary strength against Heretics
Area modifiers:
+2% Local missionary strength

Global modifiers:
+0.25 Yearly Prestige
+2% Missionary strength against Heretics
Area modifiers:
+3% Local missionary strength

Global modifiers:
+0.5 Yearly Prestige
+1 Missionary
+3% Missionary strength against Heretics

Finally, the last one most voted was Cerro Rico del Potosí, the richest silver mine in South America, and a place that once hosted the most populous city in the region.

cerro_pico_potosi.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Province modifiers:
+1 Local Goods Produced

Area modifiers:
+5% Local Goods Produced Modifier

Global modifiers:
-0.1% Interest
Province modifiers:
+2 Local Goods Produced

Area modifiers:
+10% Local Goods Produced Modifier

Global modifiers:
-0.25% Interest
Province modifiers:
+3 Local Goods Produced

Area modifiers:
+20% Local Goods Produced Modifier

Global modifiers:
-0.5% Interest

But, apart from that, the Tinto team also voted for three more internally:

The first is the Kaaba in Mecca, the holiest site for Muslims worldwide, and the place were the Hajj pilgrimage, one of the Five Pillars of Islam, is made.

kaaba.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
+0.1 Yearly Prestige
+10% Religious Unity
Global modifiers:
+0.25 Yearly Prestige
+15% Religious Unity
-5% War score cost vs other religions
Global modifiers:
+0.5 Yearly Prestige
+20% Religious Unity
-10% War score cost vs other religions

Next one is the Great Mosque of Djenné, one of the worship places built during the times of the Mali Empire in a very unique adobe brick style.

djenne.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
+0.1 Monthly Piety
+1% Missionary strength against Heathens
Global modifiers:
+0.2 Monthly Piety
+2% Missionary strength against Heathens
+1 Missionary
Global modifiers:
+0.3 Monthly Piety
+3% Missionary strength against Heathens
+1 Missionary

Last, but not least, is the Imperial City of Hue, built by the Nguyen dynasty as a symbol for a unified Dai Viet.

imperial_city_hue.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
+0.25 Yearly harmony increase
+0.5 Yearly legitimacy
Global modifiers:
+0.33 Yearly harmony increase
−10% State maintenance
−5% Minimum autonomy in territories
+1 Yearly legitimacy
Global modifiers:
+0.5 Yearly harmony increase
−20% State maintenance
−10% Minimum autonomy in territories
+1 Yearly legitimacy

Finally, we got a lot of feedback from the community, and we also think that it’s a good idea to replace one of the current monuments for other more interesting choice, and reworking it, as this was pretty requested:

That is the Belém Tower replacing the Pena Palace in Lisbon, as we think that it’s a symbol of the city since the Age of Discoveries.

belem_tower.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Province modifiers:
+5 Local trade power

Area modifiers:
+15% Local manpower modifier

Global modifiers:
+5% Global trade power
Province modifiers:
+10 Local trade power

Area modifiers:
+25% Local manpower modifier

Global modifiers:
+10% Global trade power
+10% National sailors
Province modifiers:
+15 Local trade power

Area modifiers:
+50% Local manpower modifier

Global modifiers:
+15% Global trade power
+25% National sailors

About the modifiers, take into account that this is work in progress, so both modifiers and values may be reviewed and changed, depending on testing and feedback received.

We hope that you like the new monuments chosen by both the community and the team, and that you also enjoy the wonderful work made by our artists, while playing with them in 1.31.5. See you!

Last edited:
  • 171Like
  • 60Love
Reactions:
I’ve been thinking about possible new world monuments and I think it would be interesting to, whilst having a colony, build in the new world such as the fortresses in the Caribbean such as el Morro in Havana and Puerto Rico or the walled city of Cartagena.

Reactions:
The holy places that were introduced with the Rights of Man could be turned into monuments. I think the current modifiers bonuses are okay but if they became monuments, they could get more percentagens for each level upgrade.

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Hello, i have question.
parthenon, as some another monument in europe has condition - culture = greek. If i as Byzz form roman empire, and greek culture vanished, parthenon stop working?

I'm still rooting for Cahokia. But Brandenburg Gate and Santa Maria first. Maybe also Leaning Tower of Pisa and St. Paul's Cathedral. Also, Ulm Cathedral and Mt. Athos. As well as Nan Madol and Tiwanaku. Maybe Oxford, Cambridge or Padua University. My last suggestion is the Friday Mosque in Isfahan.

Reactions:
Maybe salt mine of Wieliczka in Krakow province: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wieliczka_Salt_Mine
Seems sensible, given that we have Potosi now. To quote UNESCO "The golden age of the Krakow Saltworks continued until the mid-17th century, when 2000 miners extracted around 30,000 tons of salt annually. The salt was sold throughout Poland, in Silesia, in Bohemia, in Moravia and in Hungary. At that time, it was the largest enterprise in Poland, and one of the largest in Europe." and unlike Potosi it also carried cultural impact (e.g. the legend of st. Kinga, the underground chapels and other sculptural work) and the importance of the income from the mines to the polish crow (admittedly the largest impact was before the game's timeline when in late Middle Ages the twin salt mines of Wieliczka and Bochnia contributed about a third of the income of the crown) and the fact that it continued to operate until the 20th century.

If you're going to introduce more Wonders I hope you fix the bug where they cancel construction on tag change

Reactions:
I don’t know if the code part will allow it or not, but the province modifiers for discovering one of the 7 cities could be turned into monuments instead.
That would be cool!

Has the summer break already begun? Other games are getting notifications about it.

The Jerusalem Monument bonuses for Judaism seem underwhelming. I mean, the main bonus from the monument seems to be the +3% Missionary strength against Heretics,
but Judaism has no heretic religions. As this is the only Judaism (not exclusive of course) centric monument, I think it's power should be more useful to that religion.

So I guess it should be either altered, or that Judaism should get an update

• 1Like
Reactions:
The game just updated to 1.3.5 for me without announcement. I copied the save file just to be sure and looked around first.

First thing I checked out was if the new monuments were there. Well, for starters, instead of Pena Palace being replaced by the Belem tower, they both got yeeted and Lisbon does not have any monument right now. I guess I'll revert once more :rolleyes:

Edit: none of the new monuments are there. I suspect the bonus for controlling Jerusalem is still gone though despite the monument replacing that not appearing. And other stuff like that. Please check if it doesn't break active saves before you update. Good thing I've gotten used to making copies anytime I see the game update since a huge ironman run got yeeted earlier this year but if I hadn't been looking at EU4 at that moment I wouldn't have noticed it even updated until it was way later in the game. Especially with no announcement anywhere yet.

Last edited:
Reactions:
The game just updated to 1.3.5 for me without announcement. I copied the save file just to be sure and looked around first.

First thing I checked out was if the new monuments were there. Well, for starters, instead of Pena Palace being replaced by the Belem tower, they both got yeeted and Lisbon does not have any monument right now. I guess I'll revert once more :rolleyes:

Edit: none of the new monuments are there. I suspect the bonus for controlling Jerusalem is still gone though despite the monument replacing that not appearing. And other stuff like that. Please check if it doesn't break active saves before you update. Good thing I've gotten used to making copies anytime I see the game update since a huge ironman run got yeeted earlier this year but if I hadn't been looking at EU4 at that moment I wouldn't have noticed it even updated until it was way later in the game. Especially with no announcement anywhere yet.
There was an announcement yesterday (see the twitter feed in the bottom of the forum). Also save games are to be considered incompatible unless we are told otherwise. Not the other way around. As for the monuments it was mentioned multiple times in this thread that new monuments won't be abailable on older savegames.

Reactions:
There was an announcement yesterday (see the twitter feed in the bottom of the forum). Also save games are to be considered incompatible unless we are told otherwise. Not the other way around. As for the monuments it was mentioned multiple times in this thread that new monuments won't be abailable on older savegames.
Why is there no announcement that the game would just update on the steam page or on this forum? Mind you, I am not opted in to the beta. The entire game just updated, without making it clear that it has actually updated.

Edit: It's literally just the last sentence of one tweet. No update with "1.31.5 is now live" like there was with other patches. How are people, who don't check the EU4 Twitter feed on a daily basis (I assume, you know, most people) supposed to know their campaigns might get ruined?

Last edited: