• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Europa Universalis IV - 8 June 2021 - New monuments chosen for 1.31.5

Good news everyone! Today we’ll be presenting the new monuments that shall be introduced in 1.31.5 (coming soon, for those who wonder).

But first, let me introduce myself. I’m Pavía, and I’ve been a forumite for more than 15 years before joining Paradox Tinto team, a couple months ago. Apart from being in the Forums, I’ve spent most of this time playing Paradox games for thousands of hours, since the first Europa Universalis. Oh, and I also hold a Ph.D. in Medieval History, but that’s probably the less important thing in my current CV.

That said, onto the monuments. First I’ll present to you the ones that were most voted among the community:

The first is El Escorial, the famous palace-monastery built at the orders of king Philip II in the outskirts of Madrid:

monastery_of_el_escorial.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
−0.01 Monthly autonomy change
+5% Governing Capacity
Global modifiers:
−0.025 Monthly autonomy change
+10% Governing Capacity
+10% Global Tariffs
Global modifiers:
−0.05 Monthly autonomy change
+15% Governing Capacity
+20% Global Tariffs

The second one is the Holy City of Jerusalem. As it’s known, this city is a sacred place for Judaism, Christianism and Islam, and that religious crossroad is portrayed:

old_city_jerusalem.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Area modifiers:
+1% Local missionary strength

Global modifiers:
+0.1 Yearly Prestige
+1% Missionary strength against Heretics
Area modifiers:
+2% Local missionary strength

Global modifiers:
+0.25 Yearly Prestige
+2% Missionary strength against Heretics
Area modifiers:
+3% Local missionary strength

Global modifiers:
+0.5 Yearly Prestige
+1 Missionary
+3% Missionary strength against Heretics

Finally, the last one most voted was Cerro Rico del Potosí, the richest silver mine in South America, and a place that once hosted the most populous city in the region.

cerro_pico_potosi.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Province modifiers:
+1 Local Goods Produced

Area modifiers:
+5% Local Goods Produced Modifier

Global modifiers:
-0.1% Interest
Province modifiers:
+2 Local Goods Produced

Area modifiers:
+10% Local Goods Produced Modifier

Global modifiers:
-0.25% Interest
Province modifiers:
+3 Local Goods Produced

Area modifiers:
+20% Local Goods Produced Modifier

Global modifiers:
-0.5% Interest

But, apart from that, the Tinto team also voted for three more internally:

The first is the Kaaba in Mecca, the holiest site for Muslims worldwide, and the place were the Hajj pilgrimage, one of the Five Pillars of Islam, is made.

kaaba.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
+0.1 Yearly Prestige
+10% Religious Unity
Global modifiers:
+0.25 Yearly Prestige
+15% Religious Unity
-5% War score cost vs other religions
Global modifiers:
+0.5 Yearly Prestige
+20% Religious Unity
-10% War score cost vs other religions

Next one is the Great Mosque of Djenné, one of the worship places built during the times of the Mali Empire in a very unique adobe brick style.

djenne.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
+0.1 Monthly Piety
+1% Missionary strength against Heathens
Global modifiers:
+0.2 Monthly Piety
+2% Missionary strength against Heathens
+1 Missionary
Global modifiers:
+0.3 Monthly Piety
+3% Missionary strength against Heathens
+1 Missionary

Last, but not least, is the Imperial City of Hue, built by the Nguyen dynasty as a symbol for a unified Dai Viet.

imperial_city_hue.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Global modifiers:
+0.25 Yearly harmony increase
+0.5 Yearly legitimacy
Global modifiers:
+0.33 Yearly harmony increase
−10% State maintenance
−5% Minimum autonomy in territories
+1 Yearly legitimacy
Global modifiers:
+0.5 Yearly harmony increase
−20% State maintenance
−10% Minimum autonomy in territories
+1 Yearly legitimacy

Finally, we got a lot of feedback from the community, and we also think that it’s a good idea to replace one of the current monuments for other more interesting choice, and reworking it, as this was pretty requested:

That is the Belém Tower replacing the Pena Palace in Lisbon, as we think that it’s a symbol of the city since the Age of Discoveries.

belem_tower.jpg

Modifiers:

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3
Province modifiers:
+5 Local trade power

Area modifiers:
+15% Local manpower modifier

Global modifiers:
+5% Global trade power
Province modifiers:
+10 Local trade power

Area modifiers:
+25% Local manpower modifier

Global modifiers:
+10% Global trade power
+10% National sailors
Province modifiers:
+15 Local trade power

Area modifiers:
+50% Local manpower modifier

Global modifiers:
+15% Global trade power
+25% National sailors

About the modifiers, take into account that this is work in progress, so both modifiers and values may be reviewed and changed, depending on testing and feedback received.

We hope that you like the new monuments chosen by both the community and the team, and that you also enjoy the wonderful work made by our artists, while playing with them in 1.31.5. See you!

Last edited:
  • 171Like
  • 60Love
Reactions:
Those look like some good Monuments!

Has there been any thought given to the universal costs/time of each monument, perhaps some giving lesser bonuses being cheaper/quicker to build?

@Pavía Lovely… more monuments…

Could we expect at some point an option to disable all the wonderful additions of Leviathan and to play in a (slightly) more believable world, one where special buildings don’t give magical bonuses and natives don’t blockade the colonisers (from what I heard, since I never bothered to play 1.31)?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I think missionary strength vs heathens would be nice for tier 3 Jerusalem, vs heretics is not really useful, heretics are already easy enough to convert. It doesn't seem worth spending all that money for the bonuses currently in my opinion.

Think it would make sense too vs heathens, "you could your god from religion X allow your holy city to become Y? Y is the real religion" or something along those lines.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Great that DLCs are back!
Good choice of the monuments, the boni seem fairly adequate as well, although I agree that a Tolerance Boost for Jerusalem might be fitting too. And wonderful that Pene Palace has been replaced by something that makes more sense.

On a side-note regarding Ambras castle: could the Castle be moved from Etschtal to Inntal as well? This way its not necessary to build an additional castle to benefit from the local defensiveness boost. As the fort mechanics work it should not change the strategic relevance (passage both from Bavaria and Trient/Italy towards Lienz is blocked).

• 2Like
Reactions:
Dont put the Brandenburg gate into the game pls it is just a gate and in eu4 time frame not important even ambras is better. There are hundreds of better buildings there.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Grande Pavía! Finally we have a spaniard inside giving Spain the love it deserves among so many anglo lover.

Heh.. we have 19 employees at tinto so far.. 3 swedes, 2 brits, 1 german and the rest from Spain.

• 13Like
  • 11Love
Reactions:
Nice selection, but I am surprised the Brandenburg Gate didn't make it since I saw a lot of votes for it.

If there will ever be a round focussed on monuments in the German region, we have quite a lot to choose from - many of which relevant to the HRE as a whole:
- Hofburg or St. Stephans
- Herrenhausen Gardens
- Aachen Cathedral
- Ulmer Minster
- Speyer Cathedral
- Brandenburg Gate
- Sanssouci
- Dresden Zwinger
- Malbork Castle

I really hope that monuments will continue to get expanded on, but I also feel like monuments should be tied to certain ages or finished NI milestones to ground them more - as they are right now they feel a bit too ahistorical in terms of their requirements.
I didn't participate in the vote, but this is seems a good a time as any to say that I am glad that the Brandenburg Gate wasn't chosen and that I do not think it it should be a monument (or at least it should not be included with any particular priority).
It is a nice building and an important example of classicist architecture, but that is it. It had no special function beyond being a town gate with a bit of interesting symbolism.
It has become a national monument mostly because of its connection to 20th century events - the nazis marching through the Brandenburg Gate on the day of the Machtergreifung on 30th January 1933, being situated in the exclusion zone after the partition of Berlin and Germany, Bonzo asking Gorbachev to tear down this wall with the gate as his backdrop.
Also, it was constructed only in 1789. Having it exist in 1444 is a wild anachronism. Both Malbork Castle and Sanssouci would be better choices as monuments for Prussia.

Btw, I really like the new monuments announced in this dev diary :)

• 5Like
Reactions:
This is nice, but shouldn't the priority be to fix the major bugs and errors still remaining in the 1.31 update group before moving on to new content? Or is it being done simultaneously?

• 3Like
Reactions:
A tad disappointed that the Brandenburger Tor wasn't included, as it was my favourite which I voted for. But seems like it will be added in a later update, so that is good.

Other than that, I really appreciate the monument map mode that will come later. Good work!

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is nice, but shouldn't the priority be to fix the major bugs and errors still remaining in the 1.31 update group before moving on to new content? Or is it being done simultaneously?

I think different competences are doing different things. So adding monuments doesn't necessarily mean that no bugs are being corrected.

Reactions:
Grande Pavía! Finally we have a spaniard inside giving Spain the love it deserves among so many anglo lover.
As Johan just said, we're right now a multinational team here at Tinto. That will be interesting in the next days, as Euro goes on. ;)
Looks quite interesting, I wonder if we going to have more new stuff with this update

@Pavía , do you plan to release it as a beta first like 1.31.4 ?

hope to play with this update soon :)
Yes, we're going to release 1.31.5 first as a beta, take account of stability and bug issues, and then continue working on fixing.
Nice selection, but I am surprised the Brandenburg Gate didn't make it since I saw a lot of votes for it.

If there will ever be a round focussed on monuments in the German region, we have quite a lot to choose from - many of which relevant to the HRE as a whole:
- Hofburg or St. Stephans
- Herrenhausen Gardens
- Aachen Cathedral
- Ulmer Minster
- Speyer Cathedral
- Brandenburg Gate
- Sanssouci
- Dresden Zwinger
- Malbork Castle

I really hope that monuments will continue to get expanded on, but I also feel like monuments should be tied to certain ages or finished NI milestones to ground them more - as they are right now they feel a bit too ahistorical in terms of their requirements.
There are really a lot of monuments that may be added worldwide, and we may also some requirements/modifiers rework on the future, as versions get more stable, and we have enough feedback to better balance things out.
Those look like some good Monuments!

Has there been any thought given to the universal costs/time of each monument, perhaps some giving lesser bonuses being cheaper/quicker to build?
We're going to do some changes on monuments upgrade and speeding up cost in 1.31.5, but we're already thinking on improving it in future patches.
@Pavía Lovely… more monuments…

Could we expect at some point an option to disable all the wonderful additions of Leviathan and to play in a (slightly) more believable world, one where special buildings don’t give magical bonuses and natives don’t blockade the colonisées (from what I heard, since I never bothered to play 1.31)?
Well, it's really easy to take care of this if you don't really like Leviathan features. Meanwhile, we'll continue working on improving the content both for the DLC and the 1.31 versions.
We shall fix a bunch of bugs and issues in 1.31.5 apart from adding monuments, and our roadmap for the next few weeks is to keep working on fixing stuff.

• 23Like
Reactions:
We're going to do some changes on monuments upgrade and speeding up cost in 1.31.5, but we're already thinking on improving it in future patches.
Yeah, that needs fixing. I had a lot of ducats on one playthrough and insta upgraded the Köln monument on the same day I ordered its improvement by pouring lots of money on it. Felt very cheesey.

Well, it's really easy to take care of this if you don't really like Leviathan features. Meanwhile, we'll continue working on improving the content both for the DLC and the 1.31 versions.
Thanks for the positive answer. However, I like at least in theory, sone features of Leviathan. The favor rework comes to mind. That’s why I can’t just satisfy myself by turning off the DLC le not buying it at all.

- No requirements: Potosí and Belém Tower.
- Culture requirements: El Escorial (Iberian group).
- Religious: Muslim (Kaaba and Djenné), Muslim, Christian or Jewish (Jerusalem), Confucian (Hue).
Paradox... I feel like you forgot that Dai Viet starts as Mahayana, is one of the very few Mahayana tags, and has achievements to stay Mahayana. You have essentially railroaded players into converting to Confucian every game.

• 11Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I'm very curious on the philosophy of what modifiers to give monuments. There are plenty of modifiers that to my knowledge aren't featured on monuments -- is there a reason those are avoided? Things like:
  • CCR
  • Merchants
  • Diplomats
  • Colonists

• 1Like
Reactions:
Fantastic news. A Manueline style building, and an iconic one and relevant to the timeline. Wonderfull.

A suggestion of I may, wouldn't it be better to buff Marines or increase the amount of units available for recruitment instead of manpower? Since lvl 2 and 3 increases the sailor amount, it would work better for the Portuguese Player to send Marines instead of army units around the globe.

• 7Like
Reactions:
It feels so great when you see one of your kids making it for real. LOL. @Pavía, you owe me one.

• 6Like
Reactions: