• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. Today we’ll be talking a little bit about how colonial nations are evolving with Leviathan.

When a colony nation is formed you can pick what kind of colony this will be. This type of colony can then be upgraded for a cost for the overlord and a change of liberty desire for the subject. You can always change a colony to become another type of colony, but that will increase their liberty desire.

eu4_27.png

Crown Colony
This type of colony is for areas you want to have most control over, where liberty desire should be lowest.
  • global_autonomy = -0.05
  • recover_army_morale_speed = 0.02
  • embracement_cost = -0.1
  • governing_capacity = 100
  • global_autonomy = -0.05
  • global_colonial_growth = 10

Increase Draft from Colony (+10 Liberty Desire)
+5 Land Forcelimit for Overlord & -5 Land Forcelimit for Subject
Enlarge the Gold Fleet (+10 Liberty Desire)
+20% Treasure Fleet Income for overlord
Increase Religious Control (+10 Liberty Desire)
+1% Missionary Strength & -1 Heathen Tolerance for Subject
Increase Integration (-10 Liberty Desire)
-10 Liberty Desire for Subject & TBD for Overlord

Private Enterprise
This is the colony type you want to have when you want to maximize profits, where you want the colony to providea strong navy and control trade.
  • global_ship_trade_power = 0.2
  • merchants = 1
  • production_efficiency = 0.05
  • global_trade_goods_size_modifier = 0.2
  • naval_tradition_from_trade = 0.1
  • ship_power_propagation = 0.1
  • 5% less Tariffs for Overlord

Increase Trade Power Transfer (+10 Liberty Desire)
+2% Trade Power for Overlord, and -10% Trade Power for Subject
Encourage Cash Crops (+10 Liberty Desire)
Increases likelihood of cash-crop goods to appear for subjects new colonies.
Increase Navies from Colony (+10 Liberty Desire)
+5 Naval Forcelimit for Overlord & -5 Naval Forcelimit for Subject
Increase the Gold Tax (+10 Liberty Desire)
Effects TBD

Self-Governing Colony
This is the colony type that will expand and develop fastest, but they will have the highest liberty desire, and the perks you can give them are not beneficial directly to you.

• merchants = 1
  • production_efficiency = 0.05
  • colonists = 1
  • development_cost = -0.15
  • liberty_desire = 25
  • 10% less Tariffs for Overlord

Allow Autonomous Trade (-5 Liberty Desire)
+5% more trade power for subject.
Allow Autonomous Taxing (-5 Liberty Desire)
+5% more tax for subject
Allow Autonomous Militias (-5 Liberty Desire)
+5% more manpower for subject
Allow Autonomous Navy (-5 Liberty Desire)
+10% more Sailors for Subject

There are also different events happening depending on which colonial type your colony is.
eu4_28.png

We are not just adding new features and polishing them, for 1.31 there is also currently over 500 different older bugs that has been fixed so far, and we have been busy tweaking and improving the interface as well.

Some of the UI improvements include.

- Alert for Inactive Merchants
- Alert for when one of your coasts are being invaded by an army.
- When you view rebels in the stability view, the locations will revolt risk for that rebel will highlight on then map.

Now we are taking a small hiatus from development diaries, until we are back to talk about diplomacy by the end of March.

Last edited:
Any info about last week outrage? Maybe some update to this issue?
Also I cannot recall hiatus in DD before so close to release so I guess things are really not well in dev team.

• 40Like
Reactions:
"It was the third of September
That day I'll always remember, yes I will
'Cause that was the day that my daddy died"

Hope it's just a typo and not some sinister code...

• 9Haha
  • 3Like
Reactions:
With regards to this,

Can South Africa now become a colonial region?

The biggest downside was usually trade loss, but now that colonies are more flexible it seems very promising to make it a colonial region.

• 23Like
Reactions:
"It was the third of September
That day I'll always remember, yes I will
'Cause that was the day that my daddy died"

Hope it's just a typo and not some sinister code...
9th day of the 3rd month being read as the 3rd day of the 9th month somewhere I’d wager.

This looks like a pretty nice addition to colonial nations though. In particular there are times where I want to give them a leg up and leave them while I do other things and other times where I’d rather take the reins. Hopefully will mean liberty desire is a bit harder to manage too.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Have the colonial regions been redrawn?
Is it possible to limit a colonys growth to only be in the colonial region? (yes I`m a pretty borders fanatic)

• 17Like
Reactions:
Just curious if there's anything in this coming update about new world nation institution spreads? I've found them to be kinda fast for new world (and sometimes African) Nations get institutions very fast. I will say this is something I personally saw, so I'm only really asking for myself.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Does the colonial rework include forbidding your colony from colonising outside certain areas?

Also will you be reworking how tariffs are calculated? I recall they got pretty heavily nerfed several patches back, and you might want to revisit that if you want people to use colonies as cash cows. These days my main use of colonies are as part of a vassal swarm.

• 30Like
Reactions: