• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good morning all, and welcome to a special Weekend Dev Diary for Europa Universalis IV.

We noticed a lot of feedback in the previous dev diary that people were keen to know what direction EUIV is taking going forward from Rule Britannia. For various reasons, we do not immediately reveal what the focus of the following expansion and accompanying patch will be, but in the face of such overwhelming feedback, we've decided that this time we shall spill the beans early

Refreshing.png

Europa Universalis IV: Breweries of the World is currently in development with heavy focus on the nations and regions which have contributed most to global society with their various tipples. Focus regions in the 1.26 Champagne Update will be:

• Ireland - Some new provinces and special "Guinness" province modifiers
  • Scotland - Special trade mechanics specifically with the flow of Whisky
  • Bavaria - "Purity" laws can be passed to strengthen your government and grants new Reinheitsgebot CB on inferior producers.
  • Belgium - When Hoegaarden desire grows too high, Belgium will spawn and fight a bloody war of independence.
  • Mexico - Colonial nations in Mexico can be pacified by allowing them to keep their own Corona, although high tariffs can lead to a standoff between master and colony.
The release date of Breweries of the World is currently TBA but upon release, we ask that you all game responsibly.

Last edited:
And where, pray, is the Persian wine in this DLC? This is yet another example of Paradox's Eurocentric agenda. Until you properly represent Shiraz's wine exports and the minutiae of Safavid royal drinking habits I will remain in an outraged boycott.

:p.

We have wine, it's time for beer, vodka, whiskey, tequila...

Reinheitsgebot CB:

Force conversion of trade goods in provinces to beer.

No longer will half the world produce petty fish or livestock. Let us convert those primitves still producing "grain" without refining it into glorious beer!

New achievement: One beverage to rule them all!

Convert all grain, wine, cocoa and tea producing provinces to beer.

New disaster: Beerly decadence

Starts ticking when half your provinces produce beer.

Description: Since half our provinces only produce beer, our population has seriously started to suffer from famine and constant drunkenness. Grain which is the most important stable food for the peasantry, is almost entirely used up in the process of creating beer. If we don't stop this our nation will soon see the biggest bar fight in the history of alcoholic beverages.

Effects:
-50% goods produced (It appears that being drunk all day isn't really increasing the productivity of our nation...)
+100% local manpower modifier in all provinces producing beer (If you promise the peasantry more beer, they do everything for you)
+3 Diplomatic Reputation (Our Diplomats have never been so charismatic. At least they describe themselves that way.)
+50% Better relations over time (Come on! I was drunk. I didn't know what I was doing)

New special unit type available: Hooligans
+50% shock damage dealt (Nothing is more fierce than a bunch of drunken man charging at you)
-100% fire damage dealt (Have you ever seen a drunkard actually hitting the target?)
Can only be recruited on beer producing provinces.

Tell that to Ismail I of Iran's liver.

Oh, it wasn't just Isma'il I. Isma'il II possibly died from some kind of drinking or drug problem, while the last 4 Safavid Shahs were all besotted with wine; all but the last probably died from complications related to it. The rationale was always that they were above the law as a result of their position as vicegerents of the Imams, although it was common all across the elites too.

This was so low hanging that I can't even bend that low D:

Massive nerf for the Ottomans as Muslim nations don’t drink

there was a reason why ottomans let greeks continue to run their taverns around anatolia & greece. muslim turks would go to greek taverns for getting drunk while listening eleni's (Ελένη) rembetiko.

No Efes Pilsen brewery in Constantinople? I'm horrified and will never purchase this expansion.

it should be bomonti brewery (opened in ottoman era) rather than efes.

023.jpg

@DDRJake, our famous national beer is Efes Pilsen in turkey, you can see this also in russia, balkan & caucasus countries but not in western europe i guess. when i was a child i didn't know what Pilsen means and never checked on google though until i opened a campaign as bohemia in this game. well finally i googled as i seeing the city of Pilsen in czechia in EUIV map. so finally learned the meaning lol.

tl;dr i learned a lot from this game :)