• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EUIV - Development Diary - 24th of September 2019

Good day all and welcome to this week's EU4 Dev Diary. Last Tuesday saw the release of the 1.29 Manchu update, and for myself and the rest of the EU4 team, it's been a blast seeing players pick up the game and tear through our additions in East Asia. For myself in particular, it's been great to read stories of players who had not previously tried life as a Steppe Nomad in the game before, now embracing the horde ways.

And sometimes we're taken aback by just how fast players make the game bend to their will, like u/H4wx here who, just a few days after 1.29 went live, wrapped up an impressive and aesthetic Qing campaign.

great Qing.png

Of course, the release of an update does not mean the end of work for us in the studio. While the game itself was largely running without issue, there were several reports from users who were unable to start the game, or faced various incompatibility issues once in the game. Many issues were caused from incompatible mods, which last Friday we hotfixed in a warning for players who start the game with outdated mods. Due to changes to shaders in 1.29, some pretty awesome screenshots started appearing in bug reports, that simply have to be saved for posterity.

In addition to adding said warning for outdated mods, we fixed up an issue where people were not able to change their resolution in the launcher, which was causing people, particularly those with large monitors to endure the pain of EU4 without scaling UI (coming in the European Update next year!)

There are still outstanding issues which we are tackling as we speak. Some Linux users find the game failing to start unless they launch the game directly, which is a high priority for us to fix as soon as possible. A good place to check out for any of your issues with starting EU4 is our Known Issues Thread which houses solutions for some of the more common issues as we continue to work on fixes.

Aside from fixes, the team is gearing up to resume work on the upcoming 1.30 Update, which we hope to get back to discussing next week and onwards!

Last edited:
Funny Mughals. Other stuff is pretty interesting too, especially Savoy relocated to Africa.

i know it has not much to say with this post but, as in this one you mostly fixed things, i think it would be time for you to fix all the textures DLCs which half of them are just bad with units doing the michael jakson walking backwards and even better, without moving their feet. you have people paying for those and they work worse than the basic ones. thats so sad, please fix it.

Will you ever add an our lady of Guadalupe event for Spain after they conquer Mexico? This event could create a catholic conversion center in Mexico to convert the natives

Maybe next time warn that a change is coming for shaders? So people could anticipate and prepare, instead of calling bugs "Awesome" features. Because, while impressive, they still make the game unplayable with said mod. People, and modders in particular, do appreciate the technical part of an update else they wouldn't take the time to mod for fun.

Worst Dev Diary ever... :(

- No news about what you are actually developing...
- No apology for missing QA for the new launcher...

Instead praise for last weeks new content. That's ridiculous!

Shame on you! :confused:

I'm really happy that Qing and the Eastern steppe got some love in the last patch but there is something that irks me... There are A LOT of events in the region that really railroad a strong qing. While I appreciate the path to a more historical game, I feel like you could grab these events, find a common denominator, and actually make it a game mechanic that applies to ALL countries. That way it wouldn't feel as railroady but also be funner for all countries. I was thinking a loyalty mechanic for regions would be a cool addition, along with a slight rework to autonomy. I know that a rework to estates is coming, and I really like the ideas I saw there, but perhaps looking into this might help achieve the game the developers are envisioning?

This could come with some awesome situations where if the loyalty of a high autonomy region is low enough and your leader dies, they would come out into open revolt in a similar manner to how the Timurids currently operate. Major differences from the timurid situation and the current revolt system to this idea, is that instead of rebel armies just popping up, these regions would secede and form their own nation immediately, allowing for diplomacy, and instead of vassals, you would normally have full control of the region. Also this would make the Ming situation less railroady and seem more... natural. Rather than all these specific events firing for Shun and the three feudatories that someone might not have knowledge of if they don't play these countries.

All in all, while I feel like the current revolt/autonomy system is fine, I do think it could be improved on to create a more living, breathing world. I'm also writing this up at 4 am when I should be sleeping so maybe I'm not explaining my idea very well. I hope I am though.

Thanks for acknowledging the Linux issue. I submitted a bug report with a workaround which I hope helps the team narrow things down. On the Imperator forums it's been six months with the same issue and no one from the dev team has said anything so it's great to see that it's being worked on.

@DDRJake This update does add much spice to that part of the world. Overall a very good job. Do you guys have any plans on tweaking the area at all? Also, is it possible to give Chagatai a trimmed down version of the Mongol mission tree? Right now, they have almost the same missions as the Palatinate, which is messed up imho. Thank you and your team for the hard work, and a special shoutout to the people who worked on the dynamic names added. :)

That has to be the most filler dev diary yet.
I dunno - this one even got removed from the list on the wiki :D

@RedWalrus - I can certainly see where you're coming from and initially, I was a bit disappointed that the Mingsplosion got reintroduced by events and a desaster that only happen because Ming is Ming. But now I think that there's simply no completely satisfying way to treat a "1000+ dev in 1444" monstrosity with universal mechanics exlusively. MoH made a valiant effort with the titular mechanic and I think it worked fairly well for AI Ming (at least when they stopped tributizing half of India) - very strong and actually projecting their strength without being expansionist, but also vulnerable to other blobs. Of course, they mostly got "figured out" in how to dismantle them effectively, but Ming was still something you couldn't ignore when playing in or expanding towards East Asia.
The main problem, at least in my view, was that the whole MoH mechanics were extremely unappealing to the player despite the bonuses one could get from them. I only took it over once in an Oirat->Yuan run, where I felt that I had to play in a certain way to appease the Mandate instead of the Mandate opening new opportunities.

As such, I honestly don't have any misgivings with the Mingsplosion being more scripted than I would ususally want any event past ~1480 to be. What I do have some problems with is how heavily the Qing specifically are set up to be their successor - I can't believe that this course of history has been already been set 200 years before they took over the Emperorship, so I'd have preferred if they wouldn't be so favoured over other possible successors.