• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Welcome to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. Everything is going fine with the development of Leviathan, as we are working on polishing content at the moment.

We have talked about some major improvements to playing tall in previous diaries, with possibilities of stacking manufactories and concentrating development. Today we will talk about something that synergies nicely with both these features.

Centralizing a State

The final new Playing-Tall option is the ability to Centralize a State. This action reduces the administrative cost of a state by as much as the value of 20 development points.

Centralizing States costs 100 Government Reform Progress points and takes five years to complete.

This interaction is available both through the state interface and through the macrobuilder.
eu4_26.png

Never Mothball
A small thing that might make the top 3 of some peoples requested lists, and may be completely ignored by others is a small toggle for individual forts to never mothball.

We are adding a small checkbox in the province interface that if enabled, that fort will never mothball when you mothball every fort in your country from the military screen. This is something you may want to use when you may want to save money on lots of forts, but never risk it with the important forts next to France.
eu4_25.png

Canal changes
With the new monument mechanics, we moved the old great projects system to be using the new monument code internally as well, which gives a few benefits, in that you can upgrade them as well. Each upgrade takes about 10 years further, and about 1000 gold each. We are also making the canals available from an earlier technology as well, from admin tech 26 to admin tech 22.

Previously the canals, besides opening the paths, gave a +20 trade power to the location, now instead they are giving these.

• Tier 0 +10 Trade Power to Location, and +1% Trade Power to the Controller.
  • Tier 1 +20 Trade Power to Location, and +2% Trade Power to the Controller.
  • Tier 2 +30 Trade Power to Location, and +3% Trade Power to the Controller.
  • Tier 3 +50 Trade Power to Location, and +5% Trade Power to the Controller.

Next week we’ll be back and talk about colonial nations.

Centralizing a State

The final new Playing-Tall option is the ability to Centralize a State. This action reduces the administrative cost of a state by as much as the value of 20 development points.

Centralizing States costs 100 Government Reform Progress points and takes five years to complete.

Am I stupid for not understanding what this means?

administrative cost = governing cost? or state maintainence

If it's governing cost I don't really see the point of calling it tall play focus, as tall players rarely run into going over their government capacity, unless is thought of as a counter to the new manufacturies stacking.

• 17Like
Reactions:
Oh, so we will not be able to make canals in different positions...

Is the "never mothball" going to be a DLC exclusive? If yes the free patch is starting to look a bit tiny...

• 33Like
Reactions:
Welcome to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. Everything is going fine with the development of Leviathan, as we are working on polishing content at the moment.

We have talked about some major improvements to playing tall in previous diaries, with possibilities of stacking manufactories and concentrating development. Today we will talk about something that synergies nicely with both these features.

Centralizing a State

This interaction is available both through the state interface and through the macrobuilder.
View attachment 687779

Never Mothball
A small thing that might make the top 3 of some peoples requested lists, and may be completely ignored by others is a small toggle for individual forts to never mothball.

We are adding a small checkbox in the province interface that if enabled, that fort will never mothball when you mothball every fort in your country from the military screen. This is something you may want to use when you may want to save money on lots of forts, but never risk it with the important forts next to France.
View attachment 687778

Canal changes
With the new monument mechanics, we moved the old great projects system to be using the new monument code internally as well, which gives a few benefits, in that you can upgrade them as well. Each upgrade takes about 10 years further, and about 1000 gold each. We are also making the canals available from an earlier technology as well, from admin tech 26 to admin tech 22.

Previously the canals, besides opening the paths, gave a +20 trade power to the location, now instead they are giving these.

• Tier 0 +10 Trade Power to Location, and +1% Trade Power to the Controller.
  • Tier 1 +20 Trade Power to Location, and +2% Trade Power to the Controller.
  • Tier 2 +30 Trade Power to Location, and +3% Trade Power to the Controller.
  • Tier 3 +50 Trade Power to Location, and +5% Trade Power to the Controller.

Next week we’ll be back and talk about colonial nations.
In regards to 'Never Mothball' did you have any plans to change it so whoever occupies rather than whoever owns a province with a Fort has to pay for it, or a button to flip off and on that automatically mothballs enemy forts the month after you've taken them

• 4Like
Reactions:
I have a few questions:

1. What's the point of centralizing a state?

I feel like this mechanic is very meh, doesen't give anything to the game, just the usual "some more x and less y if you click on this button"

2. What does different levels of canals represent?

I can't imagine what the levels are meaning for canals. How would you describe the difference between a lvl1 and a lvl2 canal?

Last edited:
  • 66Like
Reactions:
It is nice to hear about 2nd and 3rd points of this dev diary. About 1st one isn´t 100 too much when boosting GC cost like 25 (and then a bit more) for the same benefit? (Or am I missing some other benefits)

• 5Like
Reactions:
Will you also add the possibility to choose who can flee through canal and who can't?

• 37Like
  • 4Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
The never mothball feature would be nice as vassal interaction. Maybe add it and have the overlord pay half the maintenance, so its not abused to bancrupt vassals. Especially in MP it makes vassals very clunky since you have no agency over them mothballing or maintaining forts

• 12Like
Reactions:
Might come in handy combating the vast government capacity cost increase from adding new building and manufactory slots.

Speaking of which, how will those increased slots work together with province that have upgradable trade centers? The space is already pretty limited, so I wonder.

• 10Like
Reactions:
Very disappointed the "Canal du Midi" isnt included in the game. Of course you cant pass ship from one side to the other but it was probably the main Canal built in the game time frame ( the Kiel, Suez, Panama Canal all were built after if i'm correct).

Plus it could be, for France a new way to interact with Vassals, and for Spain / Portugal, another reason to be willing to fight France (and though, avoiding the usual Castille / France axis)

• 37Like
Reactions:
Centralizing the state is proudly standing side by side with "stacking the manufactories" as another mechanic nobody will ever use.
It is great to make an illusion "we are doing something" when in reality the new mechanics are doing nothing.
But who cares, every newbie will post "agree" on whatever you post.

Shame you don't play your own game.

Last edited:
  • 99Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
100 gov. reform for a discount of 20 gov. capacity?
Do you people play your own game??????

Gov. reform is basically the hardest thing to get in the game. Gov. capacity is fucking useless, going over the limit costs you money and admin power, both of which are irrelevant (MP standpoint).

If you had to pay 20 gov. reform for -100 gov. capacity then MAYBE it would be okay. Still not really tbh.

• 80Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
it would be cool to check out the critics of last dd, as it changes a lot and wasn't really answered besides 2 short answers -

i think the canal is okay - do I still build it by decision?

never mothball is a nice little feature to have.
While you making polishing please consider using more alerts and clearer tooltips (see last dd) to make the game more userfriendly - there are a lot alerts that I wished the game had, when I first started, and now as well. (Please finally add an alert for a new possible agenda) - (and an alert that I can pick a side on war of the league, that I can pick a side on the council of trient etc)

About the first feature - I dunno yet... 100 gov cost seems very much for 20 dev... how much can I use it as a larg player? 2 Times a campagin? And as a small player with low autonomy maybe more often, as I'll go through reforms faster (before I need it again maybe in revolution times) - but I don't need it, as Iam not that big, so I wouldn't get over the gov cap?

• 34Like
Reactions:
At least that is how I understand the tooltip - as a new player I would still be confused. So not the money goes down, but the gov cost. ok....

• 1Like
Reactions: