• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 8th of October 2019

Good morning, and welcome to today’s dev diary! As Jake foretold last week, today I’ll be talking about some of the Imperial Incidents coming in next year’s big expansion.

For those of you who have forgotten or for some reason do not read our dev diaries with fervent religiosity, this is what an Imperial Incident is:

“The other thing for us to look into today are Imperial Incidents. One thing we wanted to do was to make the Empire feel alive and rife with bickering princes. To that end, we have rolled some existing occurrences throughout EU4 and History, as well as many others, into a system that has the HRE both create and react to issues in Central Europe and the immediate vicinity.

When the conditions are ripe, an Imperial Incident can trigger for the Empire. All member states will be informed of the incident, and it will prominently be displayed in the HRE interface. The Emperor will then have 6 months to make a decision on the incident, with wide-ranging knock-on effects.”

These Incidents give us the opportunity to both revisit old content and to design something new. Last week Jake gave a description of the reworked Burgundian Inheritance (which we might revisit in more detail in the future). Today I’ll show off two new event chains and their associated Incidents: The King in Prussia, and The Great Peasants’ War.

dd_prussia.png

Prussia is no longer awarded a shiny Kingdom-rank crown simply for existing. An independent Prussia must establish itself as a relevant power before it has the opportunity to claim its crown. After this event fires, the Imperial Incident begins and the Emperor must decide on how to proceed.

• If the Emperor decides to elevate Prussia to an Imperial Kingdom in the fashion of Bohemia, they will lose 10 Imperial Authority but greatly improve their relations with Prussia. This will also anger any electors that have rivalled Prussia.

• If the Emperor decides to accept the historical compromise - that the monarch may call himself “King in Prussia” but not “King of Prussia” - the effect is similar but reduced. The Electors will not be angered but Prussia will be only mildly grateful to the Emperor.

• If the Emperor refuses to acknowledge any Prussian monarch bearing the title of “King”, Prussia must make a decision between their Kingly crown or their status as an Imperial Prince, potentially being ejected from the Empire. This will greatly anger both Prussia and its Elector allies.
dd_peasants.png

The Great Peasants’ War was a time of great upheaval in the Holy Roman Empire. Driven by religious, economic, and social woes the oppressed masses rose up across Germany against their feudal masters. This event can happen prior to the League War, which is delayed until this conflict is resolved. National unrest is increased throughout the Empire, peasant rebels are more likely to spawn, and countries that break to peasant rebels may become a Peasant Republic. While the Great Peasants’ War rages on, the game will track the success of the rebels throughout the Empire. After several years have passed and the dust has settled, the Emperor must make a resolution:

• [Available only if the rebels are not highly successful] If the Emperor chooses to crush the rights of peasants, the Noble estates across the Empire will become more loyal and more powerful. This effect is reduced if the rebels are moderately successful.

• If the Emperor chooses to grant concessions to the peasantry and enforce their rights, the Noble estates across the Empire will not only lose Influence but also some of their Land Share. The strength of this effect depends on the success of the rebels. This will mean that Princes of the Empire have more Crown Land, but they will also collect less taxes due to their concessions to the peasantry. If the rebels are highly successful, nations in the Empire will continue to become Peasant Republics when breaking to peasant rebels even after the Great Peasants’ War ends.

We have a lot more Incidents left to talk about: in the unspecified future I’ll talk about such Incidents as the Dutch Revolt and the Shadow Kingdom. For now though that’s all I have to say, I hope you all have a great day and that you return for next week’s dev diary!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Incidents sound like a neat thing to add to other parts of the world, albeit in 1.31 and beyond. Any plans for that?

They're tied to the Holy Roman Empire, and they'll be displayed prominently in the HRE interface, so no plans to expand this elsewhere. Given that the Incidents themselves function largely to present a choice to the Emperor in a way that's visible to the HRE at large, I'm not sure it would really be applicable outside of that context.

@neondt Are there any chances to include Polish-Teutonic "Peace of Thorn" kind of event as an Imperial Incident? It begs for some imperial involvement and would permit some soft pushing towards the historical outcome, where Poland does leave the Order in its rump form in the East, but takes the Royal Prussia from it.

They're tied to the Holy Roman Empire, and they'll be displayed prominently in the HRE interface, so no plans to expand this elsewhere. Given that the Incidents themselves function largely to present a choice to the Emperor in a way that's visible to the HRE at large, I'm not sure it would really be applicable outside of that context.
The Emperor of China springs to mind. Or perhaps colonial regions reacting to these strange people from across the ocean, where everyone gets a choice they have to make about it. Or incidents that maybe help spawn historical coalitions against certain aggressive expansions, like the League of Cambrais or the Holy League against the Ottomans.

Any tease on what the next DD will be about?

Will the King in Prussia incident only fire if an elector, for example Brandenburg, becomes Prussia or will it fire even if an non elector member (Pomerania) or non HRE member (Teutonic Order) will form Prussia?

Did anything change about forming Prussia? Historically, Brandenburg grabbed Ducal Prussia's crown after prussian branch of Hohenzollern dynasty died out, so it shouldn't be necessary to directly conquer Konigsberg.

Will the King in Prussia incident only fire if an elector, for example Brandenburg, becomes Prussia or will it fire even if an non elector member (Pomerania) or non HRE member (Teutonic Order) will form Prussia?

You don't have to be an elector for this to happen. We want to move away from having strict conditions on when content appears.

Did anything change about forming Prussia? Historically, Brandenburg grabbed Ducal Prussia's crown after prussian branch of Hohenzollern dynasty died out, so it shouldn't be necessary to directly conquer Danzig and Konigsberg.

There is an existing event for Brandenburg to get a Personal Union if the stars align, but it's a lot simpler to just conquer the territory you want early so that Poland doesn't grab it first.

I really appreciate those incidents. And i think that somehow you could use them in other countries (France come to mind) with a Rework of "local parliament" event. Though, if there is juste a handful of incident, maybe the effect are too weak (relations and trust malus would be better maybe?

There is an existing event for Brandenburg to get a Personal Union if the stars align, but it's a lot simpler to just conquer the territory you want early so that Poland doesn't grab it first.
Order's/Ducal Prussia situation could be handled really well using an Imperial Incident. Poland did not outright annex the Order precisely because of the Emperor's interference and the Teutons' standing in the HRE.

Order's/Ducal Prussia situation could be handled really well using an Imperial Incident. Poland did not outright annex the Order precisely because of the Emperor's interference and the Teutons' standing in the HRE.
While we're on the subject. The TO had a number of lesser holdings in the HRE. Currently, the Danish king has an event where they get a modifier giving them extra base tax to represent the holdings in HRE. I feel like the TO could be strengthened a little bit by giving them a modifier giving some extra base tax representing their holdings in the HRE, that would disappear if they secularize into Prussia.

I once asked for this when i proposed incidents in Europe, but i will try again. Please, can u make livonian order and zastaw spisky incidents ? Both may give a lot of flavor to the region (i know they are not in HRE but incidents are so great mechanics :( )

In how incidents are done it will primarily have to relate to the empire or the emperor in one way or the other. Other things can still of course get a similar flavor through DHE's.

Incidents really look nice! Things are really shaping up, keep up the great work!

Can a new emperor 'revoke' decisions of these incidents. For example with the peasants war if one emperor decides to crush the rebels and then another emperor gets elected. Then the new emperor can change the decision (with an extra penalty or something)