• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 8th of November 2016

Hello, and welcome to another week, and another Europa Universalis development diary. This week we’re focusing on the interface improvements of our ‘Denmark’(1.19) update.

First of all, we’ve added more options to the player. You can now specify the ledger to be limited in multiplayer games, where detail data about other nations are hidden, but you can still use the ledger to keep track of your own nation.

Another cool new option is the ability to disable the rule that you can not stack ideagroups. Now it is possible for those that want, to go all military ideas in their games.

The Custom-Nation-Designer have gotten two new addition in 1.19. First of all, you can now choose to start without an heir, and secondly, for those that also have the Rights of Man expansion, it is now possible to define your consort.

eu4_138.png

We also added two new things to the province view. Besides the possibility to fabricate claims on that province directly from the province interface, there is now an icon for hostile attrition that is shown whenever a province provides it.

The religious UI have also been upgraded, and you can now see missionary strength in the interface, so you can plan better for the future. Another important aspect is the addition of another column in list of provinces to convert, detailing of how much that particular province impacts the religious unity.

eu4_136.png

A previous patch added a “skip to next song” button. This has now been replaced with a button that opens up a full interface to select which songs are allowed to play, and to select a song to play with.

eu4_137.png

There is now also an alert for high naval attrition that triggers for fleets that are taking more than 5% attrition and have a ship with hull strength less than 50%.

And for those of you playing with Rights of Man & Common Sense, and with lots of subjects and vast colonial empires, we added a checkbox to hide subjects in the development macrobuilder.

Some important information for those of you that mod EU4.

Republican Tradition refactored to be 0-100 like Legitimacy, Horde Unity and Devotion, so remember to go through your scripts when you update to support 1.19.

We also merged the 'relations_decay_of_me' modifier into 'improve_relation_modifier'. They were basically the same functionality, and this makes the game easier to understand.

Next week, we’ll let the artists take to the podium to talk about the new graphics in 1.19!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Cheers for the DD Johan, some most excellent UI improvements (as well as game options :)). Can't wait to do an all-diplo idea game o_O. Looking forward to seeing what the artists have in store for us next week :).

Reactions:
Any chance you'll ever remove the Win The Lottery Become Papal Controller mission?

Reactions:
New graphics? Meaning new unit skins or the way the map looks?

Also, can you guys stretch further the UI? The war and peace screen is too small for large resolutions. It makes it tedious to scroll down to see the effects of declaring war and seeing what you can demand when suing for peace.
I would think something to do either with new Units or advisors. I can't imagine that the combination of terrain and political mapmodes warrants an entire DD.... Of course, unless they are unveiling a new Unit Pack I can't really imagine a DD dedicated to a couple of portraits either.

Hopefully the art team is going to put out more unit packs than just the ones coinciding with Major DLCs, there are a lot of major countries left to cover :D

Am I the only person who started getting all excited about a new tag in the first screenshot?
What new tag? Kef is a custom nation.

Reactions:
New vanilla unit models have already been spotted earlier, still only of the first tier though.

New vanilla unit models have already been spotted earlier, still only of the first tier though.
True, but it's a step in the right direction. Most if not all of the vanilla sprites look pretty bad at this point in development, especially side-by-side with the unit packs. The worst offenders being the Eastern Europeans.

Hopefully we will get all the vanilla units upgraded at some point. :)
My point exactly....
Ooooooh I get it. My bad.

Sounds really great with some Quality of Life improvements! Always welcome additions :)

Reactions:
Any chances the music player will get ported to other Paradox games?

Reactions:
Excited about the improvements for the nation designer. Any plans to have all national ideas nations can have as ones you can choose in the designer? Like, for example, Cavalry Flanking Ability (Albania, although I know Lan Na also has it), Adjacent provinces are automatically discovered when a colony is built (Muscovy), Institution Spread (Granada - actually Muscovy has this one too), and Land Fire Damage (Jaunpur)? Or the ability to have two bonuses to the same idea (Literally more than half of Austria's NIs do two things)?

I hope additions to the nation designer that enable features (such as more heir/regent control) from the last expansion also extent to other things introduced, such as the general trait for less Shock Damage Received that was also given as a national idea for Irish Minors (who also have Rebel Support Efficiency that isn't in the ND).

Any love the ND gets with each patch is always great though.

Reactions:
B-but.. they're the only vanilla ones with any actual armor! :(
Not really, the Japanese have armor ;)

But really, the Eastern Europeans are pretty poor looking. The only ones that I could think of that look worse are the Tier 4 Western troops with those murderous sideburns.

Reactions:
I think we have the same screenshot twice there

If i recall from Joann's twitter, no limitations on idea groups are ironman compatible.

Everything is great, like also previous DDs, but we have one question. WHEN?

Reactions:
Would you consider adding the ability to set a custom nation to be an elector / emperor of HRE (subject to the condition that the number of electors /HREmperors is not already maxed)?

Reactions: