• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 6th of February 2018

Hello and welcome to today's Development Diary for Europa Universalis IV. In case you missed it, we have now announced our upcoming Immersion Pack Rule Britannia which will accompany our 1.25 England update. For today's DD will be focusing on a couple of the features in the Immersion Pack: Innovativeness and Knowledge Sharing.

Innovativeness is a new value added to the game as a metric for your nation's forward thinking measured against others. It starts at zero for all nations in 1444 and increases by +2 every time you are the first nation to research a new technology or take an idea.

Scotland not buffed I swear.jpg

A promising start for my legit Scotland campaign

While it can be a tall order to be the first nation to a new technology or idea, the rewards are generous. at 100 Innovativeness a nation benefits from -10% all power cost as well as -1% Army and Navy Tradition decay. Tall empires who can afford the luxury of investing heavily into tech and ideas will find themselves reaping these rewards. The Tech and Ideas alert also take on a new form if taking that tech/idea will result in an Innovativneess gain for your nation. Additionally, the Anglican faith will result in a 50% boost in Innovativeness gain.

chance of rain.png

From yesterday's Twitter Teaser, the rubbed-out text is "Innovativeness Gain", not "Chance of Rain"

A cutting edge in Innovativeness will be a long-term investment though, as falling behind in your technological advancements will result in your gains being lost by -0.03 per month if you are not ahead of time and gain the "neighbor bonus" in tech.

Now as a non-European, far away from the likely spawn points of most institutions, it can be a tricky thing be become world-leading at technology. Something to help you along will be the new Knowledge Sharing feature in Rule Britannia. Nations can offer to Knowledge Share to a country who has not embraced an institution which they themselves have. The target must be within colonial range, and generally will not be accepted without an alliance in place. When accepted, this diplomatic action will spread the institution by +1 per month in the Area where their capital is situated for 10 years. During this time, the nation receiving the institution spread will have to pay 10% of their income towards their benefactor

learn about PELTS.jpg

Enacting all options to contain the Muscovites

With that we'll keep our Dev Diary short and sweet. Especially since chances are good that at this very moment, the Dev Clash between our players is concluding. Next week we'll have more of the goodies from Rule Britannia detailed for you, so see you then!

Last edited:
That would devalue the Common Sense DLC.

CS was released before the Institutions were introduced. Buffing Institution Spread was never an actual feature of CS, nor is it as necessary as some people here tell themselves.
With that all said, Knowledge Sharing does not sound like something superior to Deving provinces in the first place.

Can someone do some number crunching and see if the power cost discount from Innovativeness will be worth it after paying extra for tech ahead of time?

Looks difficult to get to that 100% innovativeness and more difficult to keep it up unless you have a 6/6/6 leader.
What is the threshold for AI to take new techs even if ahead of time? If you need to get techs more than 5 years in time (and thus have a -50%) in order to slowly get some it would mean that that 10% power reduction is nothing.

Institution spread help from allies looks nice.

Another mechanic which really doesn't represent how things actually worked.

That seems like a huge bias in favor of England, considering how restricted the reach of Anglican faith is.
Yeah especially since England by no means needs a buff, it already has super high development in 1444 compared to what can be justified.

I hoped there would be something more in DD, you already announced naval policy
"Naval Doctrine: Adopt a general strategy for your fleets, giving you bonuses to ship maintenance, trade power or battle performance."
Will Britain get it's own buttons ?
It doesn't matter the naval game of EU4 can't be saved as long as fleets work as they currently do, with fleets moving like armies and can control entire sea zones. And all hostile fleets in the same seazone instantly join battle. They need to look to what they did in HoI4 for inspiration.

Can we please not have more arbitrary penalties for being behind on tech? The pros to being ahead on tech is the technology itself and the cons of being behind are that you are missing out on tech. Can we also talk about how the games timeline is pre industrialization yet you are adding coal to the game for some reason? Also, why are you buffing Britain? In almost every single mp game I am in, Britain is the #1 on income and navy, why would you significantly increase their might with more provinces and new lush resources such as coal?
Actually the industrial revolution begins in the 1750s but they are overemphasizing it here. Also not sure how relevant the steam engines (and by extension coal) were to the first decades of it.
And I can agree on the point about buffing England. i could accept their late game being buffed it their early game got severely nerfed, that would be fine England did become powerful in this era but them being a global great power in 1444 is just nonsense.

Last edited:
A nice one! Would be happier to see that navies being more useful as well

Btw just to confirm how Innovativeness works: If I am the only one in game unlocking naval idea, I got 2*7 for doing that? Or I have to be the first guy ever to unlock the 1st/2nd/3rd/... idea in idea group to get that sweet bonus?

That would devalue the Common Sense DLC.
That's an interesting opinion, considering that Common Sense came along with patch 1.12, while institutions were introduced by 1.18.

This may ne a dumb question but will the Innovative idea group provide any bonus to innovativeness gain?

First of all I want to apologize for my tone prior to my comments. They represent my frustration as I expect that you come up with truly innovative ideas in 3 months time. Because that is what Paradox does or at least did so far: they come up with truly mind blowing concepts and introduce us new ways of thinking in terms of gameplay and sometimes history itself. However I am getting disappointed further down the road in this immersion pack. You have managed to add less and less(by less I mean shallow concepts)maybe except the mission tree system.
1- ındustrialization. Seriously? You could have done so much with this concept but no. We are instead stuck with yet another trade good that helps nothing bu further money creep that is already beyond measure. Changes in society, equality, pollution, child labour, democracy, globalization of production are but a few. This feels like you have added this just to be doing something, just to pass another week in dev diaries. My critization stands if no further changes or satisfying mechanics are added to industrialization.
2-you bring innovativeness which is cool but still we dont need further power creep. We are already swimming in monarch power past 1600 when money is no longer a problem. This way we will need idea groups to be enlarged with new features(10 idea per group for example).
Imho you could have spent time actually improving the game like you did with Great Powers, Institutions.
3- ımmersion packs so far added administrative functionality for the countries they are focused on(russia, timurids, and mameluks)but you havent changed British monarchy as far as I can tell from the announcement which begs the question: did England need an inmersion pack?

These are my disappointments so far.
Kind regards.

Will there be special events for England, Scotland and the UK.