EU4 - Development Diary - 4th of December 2018

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

DDRJake

Field Marshal
112 Badges
Feb 4, 2011
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
Good day all and welcome to another EUIV Dev diary. We're wrapping up with Golden Century ready for it's launch next week, so there's not much meat to today's diary, but we are going to reveal the 10 new achievements, which will bring the total number to a staggering 295. I've heard that anyone who completes all of them gets their wishes granted, but I cannot comment to its authenticity.

trophy_hunter.jpg

Trophy Hunter - Capture an enemy flagship

you_get_a_new_home.jpg

You get a new home, and you get a new home - Expel 5 different minorities to your colonies

why_is_the_rum_gone.jpg

Why is the Rûm gone!? - As Asturias, establish an Order in Rum

the_league_of_mayapan.jpg

The League of Mayapan - Starting as Huastec, form Maya

yarr_harr_a_pirates_life_for_me.jpg

Yarr Harr a Pirate’s life for me - Choose to play as New Providence and conquer all of Caribbeans.

forever_golden.jpg

Forever Golden - Complete the Spanish Mission Tree

spanish_fly.jpg

Spanish Fly - Starting as Offaly, secure a Personal Union over an Iberian nation.

where_am_i.jpg

Where Am I? - As a New World native with Random New World active, explore the entire New World.

basque_in_glory.jpg

Basque in Glory - Starting as Navarra, ensure that most of Iberia is Basque culture before the Age of Absolutism

an_unlikely_candidate.jpg

An Unlikely Candidate - Starting as Mzab, Touggourt or Djerid, reform Al-Andalus

These Achievements will be available for hunters from Golden Century's release on 11th December. While some shouldn't cause sleepless nights for most players, best of luck to those who try their hand at Basque in Glory. Navarra's start is full of danger, but also massive opportunity.

Now, stepping aside from today's topic of Achievements, I'd like to take a moment to address some of the feedback we've been getting during the dev diaries for Golden Century. There have been plenty of concerns raised, indeed very fair ones, regarding Golden Century and the 1.28 Spain Update not matching up with expectations, not having community input taken into account and development generally not being in line with what the community is wanting. There are many other points that have been raised, but I want to draw light to these.

These are very fair points to bring up, and one comment in particular resonated with me, and that is that our plans and what we are developing are often shared so late in development with the community that feedback and suggestions they want to give can't or won't be able to be integrated. This has lead to a lot of people voicing suggestions for features or changes and getting very understandably frustrated when what is delivered does not take it into account.

So after Golden Century launches, we're going to talk a lot more about future plans and what we have in store for EU4 in 2019, sharing our vision of what we want to do with the game and what we want to bring to you, the player. I'll be talking about this at length in the Development Diary following Golden Century, so on the 18th December. Fittingly, it will be the last Dev Diary of 2018, before we take off for Christmas Break. Our ambition is to get our community a lot more linked in with what we are planning, and can give their feedback and suggestions accordingly and within plenty of time to implement. We have also been asked for how exactly we use suggestions from the forums and how to write a good suggestion thread, which is a great idea, and will be part of said 18th Dec Dev diary.

So while the feedback especially last week makes for some humbling reading for us, it's still important, and this is one of the things we're doing about it. There are far more plans in the pipeline, but, well, for that tune in on the 18th.

As for next week, we'll be having an early DD on the 10th, with Patchnotes. See you then!

some are interesting, some are cosmetic but hey at lest it does not feel like they were just created to help the DLC sell. And there is a few actually challenging ones

Indeed, we try to include both interesting achievements that are more accessible, but also have nice, challenging achievements like the Basque one.

But why though? Seems a bit random, I'm not seeing where's the pun, easter egg or historical basis for that.

There are people who claim to work here with this their music to work to.

I mentioned this in a previous thread and I thought it could be worth repeating. We do listen to feedback, but we may not be able to act on it as fast as you could wish. Also, as correctly pointed out in this thread, we can't try to please everyone. We always try to balance our vision with the wishes of the community, and sometimes we do it well, sometimes we do it not so well.
And even though your feedback isn't showing any impact immediately, it can very well be shaping future updates and changes.

Does this mean iberia will be addressed again in the near future?

We will talk more about the future after we release Golden Century. I think we've proven that we are willing to go in and add/adjust things in older Immersion Packs at a later stage. This doesn't mean that we will be able to do it "in a near future" (a very relative term). But it can't be ruled out that it may happen sooner or later.

A lot of saying nothing really. But I really can't promise anything.

Reactions:
BjornB, it's really nice to answer and all, but you got to know that you're not really saying anything right? Some posters asked very specific questions, why don't you just answer them? Those cookie-cutter replies are starting to feel a bit insulting, to be honest.

Because I will not promise anything that isn't set in stone. Once something is as close to certain it can be, it will be revealed in a Dev Diary or other form of announcement. And with my post I just addressed how we deal with feedback. I'm not promising any changes to what Golden Century is.

Reactions:
If serious guarantees of that are given I would be happy to purchase the DLC, but from what I've been reading in the forum, similar promises were made before.

And speaking of the Lleida mistake, it was corrected within the timespan of the first DD's 11 pages. This was the last correction made in the DLC so far. So the hinted behavior seems to be that Paradox has time and consensus to fix some problems, but not others.

I can guarantee that previous feedback plays a role in future design work. Not all of it, and maybe not the particular parts that you favor. Those are the promises I can make.

Reactions:
Wait it's a naval doctrine???
So a DLC that requires more DLCs???

We added some Naval Doctrines in 1.28, they will only require you to own Rule Britannia (not Golden Century)

Does the immersion pack update comes with a free patch aswell or will it be just bugfixing?

Indeed. Golden Century will be accompanied by the 1.28 Spain Update, which contains the map changes, National Idea changes etc, and is completely free.

Where are the Golden Century unit renders? Granada's tier 1 looked so good, I need to see more!

Indeed I too am waiting on receiving the renders. In the mean time, here's a shot I put together of the Granadan units just for you.

Granada All Tiers.png

Again BjornB thank you for answering, it's not something I would expect from any other companies, but I've been craving quality in EU4 for a while and all I get is words, so I'll wait for some concrete actions before I buy the most recent and future DLCs :) Hope you understand!

It is perfectly understandable, and I hope that we will be able to prove to you that we are committed to making EU4 as good as it can be and that you will be more pleased in the future.

Indeed, we try to include both interesting achievements that are more accessible, but also have nice, challenging achievements like the Basque one.

There are people who claim to work here with this their music to work to.

I'd like to see that!

Reactions: