• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 4th of August 2020

Good morning! Welcome to another South-East Asian themed dev diary. This week we’re focusing on the Khmer Empire.

Khmer was once the dominant power in Mainland South-East Asia. Ruling from the mighty capital of Angkor, the empire encompassed most of modern Cambodia, Laos, and Thailand. Due to a combination of factors which may have included plagues, ecological issues, and the decision to change the state religion from Hinduism to Theravada Buddhism the empire fell into decline starting from the 14th Century. Thai and Lao powers broke away from the periphery of the kingdom and established their own domains. In 1431, the killing blow was struck by Ayutthaya with the sack of Angkor. The Khmer empire would never recover from this final defeat. The period following the sack of Angkor has been called the Dark Age of Cambodia, and neatly corresponds to the EU4 timeframe.

dd_dark_age.png

Like Majapahit, Khmer begins the game in a Disaster. The Dark Age of Cambodia is a lot less punishing than Majapahit’s situation in that there are no additional events that break up the country or spawn rebellions, but you need to contend with a hefty 25% increase to all power costs (as always, numbers presented in dev diaries are not final). Your priorities will have to be on consolidation and reconstruction rather than expansionism.

dd_missions.png

Khmer can end their decline and restore the glory of their old empire through their new missions tree. They’ll need to restore their old capital of Angkor, achieve some degree of religious unity, and improve the development of their more rural provinces. When this is achieved the disaster ends and Khmer can truly begin restoring its empire.

Some additional highlights:

• The Second Golden Age mission rewards -25% powers costs and -33% culture conversion cost for 20 years, compensating for the lost monarch points during the disaster.
  • The Enlightened Rule mission enacts the Chakravarti government reform discussed in previous dev diaries.
  • Around half of the mission tree is focused on military expansion, and like Ayutthaya’s mission tree these missions reward Subjugation CB’s against your targets.
  • The Restore the Empire mission increases your government rank to Empire.
  • The Invade Burma mission grants +0.5 Army Tradition for the rest of the game.
  • The Overseas Adventures mission has you invading Borneo and being rewarded with a permanent +1 Yearly Navy Tradition.

dd_privileges.png
dd_privileges_2.png

Above you can see four new estate privileges, with effects that should be fairly self-explanatory. Brahmins at Court functions essentially the same as the Brahmin privilege for Indian Muslims. This privilege as well as Advanced Irrigation Techniques are only available to specific nations, including Khmer, and are unlocked through their mission trees. Monastic Temples is available to all Buddhists and provides a new way to control your Karma, while Tropical City Planning is available to all countries in the Chinese or Indian tech groups and offsets the penalties for developing and colonizing in Tropical provinces.

That’s all for today! Next week we’ll take a look at the maritime Sultanates of Malacca, Brunei, and Aceh. And I think the week after that will be Vietnam. There's still plenty of content to show off, so make sure to catch up with weekly dev diaries.

• 94Like
  • 23Love
Reactions:
Nothing that allows the conversion on state religion to Islam like what happened under King Ramadhipati I?
How could i forgot about that!!! Ramathipadi I was a son of Chey Chettha II. With the help of Muslim merchants from Malaya, he murdered Ang Non I in 1642, and ascended the throne. He converted to Islam and changed his name to Sultan Ibrahim. He started to drive out the Dutch East India Company, in 1643, the Cambodian–Dutch War broke out.
There is also a Christianization periods as well which also known as The Cambodian–Spanish War from 1593 to 1597 it was an attempt by the Spanish Empire to conquer Cambodia, establish their own king, and Christianize the population(after a filed peaceful attempt by the member of the Dominican Order). Along with the Spanish, Spanish Filipinos, native Filipinos and Japanese mercenaries participated in the invasion of Cambodia.
omg thank you!! this is such a great idea for in game event like Japan Shinto religion!!
This give player 4 choices:
+Remain a devout patron of peace between other Indochina kingdoms by remaining a Buddhist.
+Returned of the traditional Khmer Hinduism with aggressive military mind set and gain trade from India continent.
+Gained trade advantage from Islam between many the Malaya kingdoms of spices.
+Finally the benefits of westernized the military and trade with the Catholic Spanish empire, or Kingdom of Portugal.

You amazing wonderful person i love you so much!!

Reactions:
How could i forgot about that!!! Ramathipadi I was a son of Chey Chettha II. With the help of Muslim merchants from Malaya, he murdered Ang Non I in 1642, and ascended the throne. He converted to Islam and changed his name to Sultan Ibrahim. He started to drive out the Dutch East India Company, in 1643, the Cambodian–Dutch War broke out.
There is also a Christianization periods as well which also known as The Cambodian–Spanish War from 1593 to 1597 it was an attempt by the Spanish Empire to conquer Cambodia, establish their own king, and Christianize the population(after a filed peaceful attempt by the member of the Dominican Order). Along with the Spanish, Spanish Filipinos, native Filipinos and Japanese mercenaries participated in the invasion of Cambodia.
omg thank you!! this is such a great idea for in game event like Japan Shinto religion!!
This give player 4 choices:
+Remain a devout patron of peace between other Indochina kingdoms by remaining a Buddhist.
+Returned of the traditional Khmer Hinduism with aggressive military mind set and gain trade from India continent.
+Gained trade advantage from Islam between many the Malaya kingdoms of spices.
+Finally the benefits of westernized the military and trade with the Catholic Spanish empire, or Kingdom of Portugal.

You amazing wonderful person i love you so much!!
Damn I didn't know this. Super interesting. What happened to the Christian and Muslim Cambodian?
You seems well versed in Khmer history, any idea for new tag in Khmer area? Or Khmer was just as centralized as it was in the game?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Damn I didn't know this. Super interesting. What happened to the Christian and Muslim Cambodian?
You seems well versed in Khmer history, any idea for new tag in Khmer area? Or Khmer was just as centralized as it was in the game?
well in the older days of Cambodia there is tolerance of religion between Hinduism and Buddhism and later on Muslim, and Catholic was also tolerate as well. as for the Catholic faith the king mainly appointed them as ambassador, teacher, translator and negotiator between the Khmer and European power that come to Cambodia. especially his eminence Jean-Claude Miche was a French missionary and bishop. He played an instrumental role in the establishment of the French Protectorate of Cambodia. While the Muslim who after the reign of Ramathipadi I started a few failed rebellion against the Buddhist monarchy and the Khmer rival Champa that later migrate to Cambodia who is a Mulism only increase mistrust among the devout Cambodia elite and peasant alike, but due to their sea faring and trading skill which prevent any further prosecution from the Buddhist.

As for the game idea it would be my honor to help you with some of that and in my opinion:
+Theravada Buddhism: would be replace by "City of the Gods" Angkor was once the capital of faiths that show the world the tolerance of religion among many of her peoples and the concentrate of priests from different religion gather there to pray and study.
+River Trade: would be replace by "Tonle Sap" or "Cambodia's beating heart" with her many fish production that make it one of the world's most productive freshwater ecosystems. That and the floods that pulse through it in monsoon season, swelling it to as much as five times its dry-season size, have earned the lake the nickname “Cambodia's beating heart.”
+"Women Authority" Women in Cambodia are traditionally expected to be modest, soft-spoken, "light" walkers, well-mannered, however they also act as financial administrators, and act as advisors and servants to their husbands. As financial administrators, the women of Cambodia can be identified as having household authority at the familial level. (allow female ruler, commander, or just improve in economic)
aka: Khmer emperor of Angkor had their Royal guards only consisted of women because they believe that women emotion ,and loyalty are Superior than men this could be another focus tag.
+"Restoration of Angkor" replace by the "Pride of Angkor" just sound cooler.
+"Search for Jayavarman VII" king Jayavarman VII was mysteriously disappear with out trace for the past 200 years and we must keep on the search for him(in cambodia myth we still believe that Jayavarman was still alive and a sleep some where just like king Author, while we also believe that underneath angkor king Surayavarman II was also still a sleep down there as well and thats why the monks and Brahman keep chanting in hope to wake him up. again just a myth).

well that is all i can think of rn and the buff i would give that to you to decide also i hope that there will be a Khmer skin pack as well!! we had our special look that kinda differ us from Ayutthaya. well i hope that my 4 years of research and studying paid off here by helping you guy (⌒▽⌒)

if you need anymore info i could help you and i could also contact my professor as well yeah i know he is a fan of this game as well (^艸^)

Reactions:
i would love to show my gratitude for focusing on Khmer in the next update, but i would love to ask a favor that instead of Khmer could Cambodia or Kampuchea replace them as a starting nation and instead make "Khmer empire" or "Chakrphup Khmer" or "Anachak Khmer" a formidable nation instead. i bring up this point because his majesty Ponhea Yat also known as Barom Reachea II was the last king that hold the title of "Khmer Emperor" or the "Chakravartin" and the first "King of Cambodia" as well since He was forced to flee Yasodharapura in 1431 as indefensible against the Siamese, resettling first in Basan (Srey Santhor), and after that it became flooded, to Chaktomuk (now part of Phnom Penh). The funny things is that Srok Khmer or Kampuchea are the same but we just wanna separate the historical timeline between the Angkor periods and the Dark age periods that follow the demise of Angkor. Also when reform Khmer empire could the capital change from Angkor to Yasodharapura (if convert to Hinduism) and change the dynasty to "Varman" as well (again of the player convert back to Hinduism).
Sorry for being a nerd and history addict (ง ͡ʘ ͜ʖ ͡ʘ)ง my next goal is to look up if the Srivijaya
are going to be formidable or not!!

Me ( ͡◉ ͜ʖ ͡◉) ↚ NERD!!

Does that mean instead of a Khmer tag it should start as a Cambodia tag, because that is more accurate? It could later be renamed to Khmer again through its missions.

I feel like the issue with -% dev cost ideas is that, the more -%dev cost you add, the better it becomes.. going from 80% to 90% often means moving from 7 power per dev to 4 power per dev. That means the idea can double the value of your monarch points.. (assuming access to low dev provinces).

Afaik this is the only mechanic in the game that works like this, and THAT is why it feels so bad not to have -10% dev cost in your idea set.

Edit:
Actually that's not true, -CCR works the same way.. which helps explain why that idea is so powerful. It's a lot harder to stack -CCR than stacking dev cost reduction though.

all minus modifiers work that way. You can min max all sorts ofthings. 10% is nice but youc an stillg et to -90% without it, at which point the extra 10% gives you like 3 extra clicks before the cost goes up. But if you have enough land youre probably spam deving everything to 20 and stopping there.So its less significant.

Trust me, the problem is too many monarch points. Half the monarch point generation youd barely dev at all untill you had devefficiency universities and100+ provinces

• 1Like
Reactions:
+"Women Authority" Women in Cambodia are traditionally expected to be modest, soft-spoken, "light" walkers, well-mannered, however they also act as financial administrators, and act as advisors and servants to their husbands. As financial administrators, the women of Cambodia can be identified as having household authority at the familial level. (allow female ruler, commander, or just improve in economic)

They really should add some sort of bonus to this. Currently, it's just a way to change your advisor's icon. I just don't have any ideas about which stats should be affected like this.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Now that Khmer is in its own culture group can you make the 33% convert culture cost modifier permanent, if you complete the second golden age mission?
Being the only country of a culture group hurts you gameplay wise. If it stays temporarily it will be better to swap to the Siam group and use the culture conversion bonus to convert Khmer to something else.
If it is a permanent modifier, it would still be bad to stay Khmer, but it would be less bad if you want to stay Khmer.