• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 3rd of October 2017

Good day all, today is a very exciting Tuesday, as we'll be coming to the conclusion of our EU4 Dev Clash Multiplayer Campaign, complete with trophies and congratulations to the winners and commiserations to those who did not make it to the Top 3. We'll be live over at our twitch page at the usual time of 1500 CEST.

Until then though, let's cover a few more changes we have in store in the upcoming Persia Update and it's accompanying expansion. Last week we covered changes over in Persia, so today let's look over towards Anatolia.

Firstly, let's talk the Ottoman Government. This recently introduced government type is a strong boon to the Ottoman nation, but as of the Persia Update it will be attainable for other nations too via the decision to Restore the Sultanate of Rûm.

decision.jpg

Any ambitious Turkish nation can, after wiping tactfully removing Ottomans and Byzantium from the map, take the decision to form Rûm. The requirements will also ask that they hold key provinces in the region. This will grant their nation a new name, flag, colour and National Ideas for their Sultanate of Rûm.

Rum.jpg

RUM_ideas = {
Traditions = {
manpower_recovery_speed = 0.2
land_morale = 0.1
}
Ambition= {
land_forcelimit_modifier = 0.25
}
trigger = {
tag = RUM
}
free = yes

rum_abul_fath = {
discipline = 0.05
}
"We have enemies in all directions making a strong army is a necessity for a state such as ours. Fortunately we are not a weak people. From the irregular Gazis and the Akinci raiders to the Sipahis of the Ottoman Empire the world have come to know the military might of the Turkish people. Let us build an army for an Empire, taking inspiration from wherever military competence can be found while also drawing from the strengths and experiences of those that came before us."

rum_king_of_the_east_and_west = {
core_creation = -0.20
num_accepted_cultures = 1
}
"Since the fall of Rûm the Turkish people have been divided, serving minor beys from the bosphorus to the mountains of Kurdistan. It was our duty to restore the legacy of the Seljuk Sultans of Rûm and unite the Anatolian Turks. Our ambition however must be much higher than that. The Seljuk Turks once ruled one of the greatest empires known to man, it is evident to anyone who sees our empire that the restoration of this state is now our destiny, as is the reclamation of the Roman lands that were once ruled from what is now our heartland."

rum_shahanshah = {
legitimacy = 1
}
"Rûm was not only an Anatolian state but also one that strongly honored the Persian traditions of kingship. Especially as Persia itself fell to Mongol conquerors. Under the sultans before us Persianate culture blossomed and Persian poets and scholars found patronage. Men such as Najm-al-Din Razi, Qane'i Tusi, Baha'-al-Din Walad and Rumi himself made their homes under Rûm’s protection and the Sultans themselves were versed in Persian literature and poetry.\nWe must cherish our Persian legacy as well as our Turkish and aspire to make our homeland a paragon of Persianate culture, the foremost of Islamic nations."

rum_sultan_of_rum = {
tolerance_heathen = 3
}
"The Sultans of Rûm ruled over the people of Anatolia, Muslims and Christians. It was during their reign that Islam became the dominant religion in the region but their policies accepted all subjects. Often inviting even Christians from the nearby lands to seek out the domain of Rûm. We would do well to learn from their example."

rum_sulan_al_bahrayn = {
naval_maintenance_modifier = -0.15
}
"Like the Rûm sultans of the past we must establish a strong and durable navy that can withstand both Christian pirates and the fleets of other Muslims. The ability to control and expand over the Mediterranean and protect our coastlines is going to be one of the main challenges of our Empire."

rum_sultan_al_muazzam = {
build_cost = -0.15
}
"The greatest of Sultans require grand monuments and buildings. Let us make the lands of Rûm the envy of the Islamic world, with mosques, madrasas, caravanserai, gardens, canals and palaces unlike any other. Through architectural patronage we can create an enduring and unique legacy for our dynasty."

rum_protector_of_dar_al_islam = {
global_heretic_missionary_strength = 0.03
}
"Our predecessors were always ready to defend the righteous and to combat the spread of heretical sects. So too must we do our utmost to promote the pure forms of religious worship and limit the the influence of heretical rulers who would otherwise try to seduce and mislead the faithful."
}

So with Ottoman Government attainable, we also have some new toys for them to play with.

As part of the accompanying expansion, the Ottoman Government will have access to Pashas and Janissaries

Firstly Pashas. In States, a nation with Ottoman Government can assign a Pasha. This will reduce unrest and the State maintenance cost for those provinces while also raising the cost of new buildings and units from them. This will prove useful in keeping costs and revolts down in provinces far from the capital, however revoking a Pasha will result in increased unrest for 10 years.

pasha.jpg

Janissaries on the other hand, have seen some changes. No longer a countrywide boon for all units, the Janissaries are now special elite units. These can be recruited for a set cost of 50MIL from a given state. For every 10 development of heathen-faith land in a state, 1 Janissary unit will be spawned, making high-development concentrations of wrong-religion land desirable . These special units cost twice as much to reinforce but are able to withstand damage much better, taking 10% less shock and fire damage in battle. Similarly, the Janissary Decadence disaster has been altered, now to fire if a nation relies too heavily on Janissaries relative to their forcelimit.

You know I think it's not fair that we look so much at the Ottomans. For the upcoming Persia Update, it's actually the Mamluks who start in 1444 with higher development between the two. We'll take a look at what we have in store for them but that'll have to wait for next week, as there are trophies to polish for now.

See you next week!

* since the AI can't use large armies, the buff on manpower, force limit and maintance is not considered as buff.
* christian-ottoman alliance system is needed because AI ottoman empire alone can't handle against poland, france, austria, russia joint forces at the same time. it exist because of gameplay reasons.
* ottomans had military advantages over europeans (*not all of them europeans were not consist of one country) in such as logistics, disciplined professional army, canons and sieging (especially XVI. century)
* hungary got the black army because of this. the important thing is not being good in a short period but a long period. this difference makes you great country.
* Historically ottomans austirans were not kicked out of history after 1550 because the christians ottomans were busy with religious wars civil wars and economic problems

i have to quote from now...

what kind of an argument is that? who are western countries? give me example of a country who destroyed a lot western countries?

ottoman empire didn't lose any war against europeans until the second siege of wien. the empire lost only battles but always won the wars.

yeap bu i think their fall first started in selim the grim's time. what a great fall.

this is the reason why ottoman empire supported protestants and european nation-states against the hre and pope. you can even see this when the grand armada decides to go destroy english navy and occupy england. check queen elisabeth's letter to the ottoman emperor. and sorry but where were the famous great europeans who following balance of power system when polish lithuanian commonwealth gangbanged by neighbours? i think one of the most events who made russia was too powerfull was the commonwealth's collapse. see no body gangbanged ottoman empire like they did on poland. second siege of wien was example of this. check this. the empire lost the hungary and podolia but reconquered other lands from russians and venetians after the war. didn't got destroyed.

1. AI may have huge army already. But how would it not be a buff if it can have even bigger? Also at an AI vs AI war the side who have alone bigger stacks nearly always win vs a lot of AI with small independent armies simply cause the AI cooperation is far from perfect.

2. Why should ottomans be able to handle Poland? When they reach each other and Poland AI create PLC ottomans should already be at their fall.

3. Ottomans had an effective system to create big armies, but they had no military tech advantage. (For example for siege of Consantinople they bought the cannons from hungarians) They constantly outnumbered the western armies who fight back with tech advantage and coalitions. If ottomans would had both advantage they would never lose any battle. Yeah during the XVI. century was the closest the gap.

4. I would love to see how ottoman fans would react if the black army and the janissaries buff would switch places. In my opinion black army is extremely bad, there are several articles about how useless it is. Both AI and the best hungarian players never using it. Hungary is one of the poorest country in the game giving them +30% maintenance cost for mercenaries when the basic ones are already too expensive and removing the buff when they finally would be able to maintain it, makes this, one of the worst constructed "buff" in the whole game. And I didn't even mention the fixed event what gives Matthias life time +25% idea&technology cost -10% tax or -3 stability -25 loyalty when he was one of the greatest king of Hungary. AI never even chose him (4/5/6), but go for the avg 1-2 retard.

5. I don't get it why do u believe ottomans ever had a chance vs habsburgs if they would take ottomans as a priority. Habsburgs never rly cared about the east until 1866 and Ottomans had few good century, but their system became outdated and they were not able to reform it. Even if they defeat habsurgs their collapse was coded in their system. Also church break is a 2 time/2000 years event, ottoman civil war is a default consequence of the harem system, so I think ottomans were the lucky ones when christians became divided during the ottoman wars.

6. "what kind of an argument is that?" Maneuvering well politically and being strong in battles are two different thing. Historically ottomans were good in both, but not overwhelming. They would fall much earlier if they depended on just one ability. But in the game political maneuvers are not implemented that well so ottomans are made so powerful militarily to be able to conquer alone depending on raw force. Probably that is why I feel them unrealistically OP in wars and also seeing Hungary being unrealistically weak just to make the ottoman expansion easier because they are the "tutorial nation" for beginners. I played more than 1000 hours hungary/poland/georgia/austria/venice, but in very hard difficulty even with the experience and without any missplay I never could say I would be able to defeat ottoman AI without loans and luck. What is a bit annoying especially because the game starts in 1444 so often there is not enough time to be rdy for an ottoman invasion if they randomly select you as the next target.

7. "Who are western countries?" Hungary, Venice, Austria, Poland, ect. I don't count Balkan and Byzantium as western even if they are west from the ottoman perspective, because they were not the part of the catholic alliance system or not big enough to anyone care about them.

8. "give me example of a country who destroyed a lot western countries?" The point was not the "western". The point was that the ottomans were extremely lucky and could conquer much more for much longer then they should have. Probably if we could repeat the history several times in most of cases they couldn't harm Europe. Just few examples: Byzantium became othodox and lose the support from the christian world. III. Wladyslaw died at battle of Varna when he was 20 years old, no heir and hungary-poland personal union broke. John Hunyadi died in plague after repelling the ottomans at Belgrad. Matthias Hunyadi died suddenly at age 42 without heir. II. Louis died at battle of Mohács, by drowning, age 20, no heir. Battle of Mohács instead of triggering brutal catholic coalition, triggered a hungarian-austrian succession war where ottomans could get most of hungary and even the capital without any major battle. Reformation divided the christians from uniting and keep them busy for a century. France started to support ottomans and protestants instead of fighting them. The west started support ottomans to keep Russia at bay, saving the empire from natural collapse. The "lucky nation" buff is real.

9. "ottoman empire didn't lose any war against europeans" That depends on the definition of war. I think if someone lose a battle and the next battle is 20 years later then that is a lost war.

10. "where were the famous great europeans who following balance of power system when polish lithuanian commonwealth gangbanged by neighbours?" Why do u believe power balance always win? And how PLC comes here when we are talking about ottomans got the most benefits from the european power balance? Why europeans famous or great? Anyway read "Dimplomacy" by Henry Kissinger and u may understand what is the difference between intentionally following the power balance or exchanging few letters.

11. "the important thing is not being good in a short period but a long period. this difference makes you great country." Ottomans were strong and lucky, but the word "great" is used for something positive. A country with slavery, kidnapping children to force them fight their own family, economy unstable without consantly attacking the neighborhood, harem, brother killer succession wars and even a genocide at the final collapse, makes challenging to find any long term system more disgusting.

it is 33%. but i could easily prefer 15-20% reinforce speed or land attrition over them. because that force limit is finisher where ottomans already got full quantity already. that 33% land force limit idea is another useless national idea for ottomans. just a claptrap.

It is 33% in live version.

According to the Ottoman Rum Dev Diary new govt bonus it is now 25% (pending changes and all that).

I almost never use quantity myself to be honest. As soon you get large enough; money and micro-manage become a bigger of limit factor than having enough forcelimit. The few time I actually used quantity I eventually end up having "buyer remorse" so to speak.

Heck I never touch forcelimit building right now, regardless of taking quantity, unless I am playing a small/tall playthrough like Bardenburg -> Prussia or any other merchant republic.

the JANISSARIES. The PREMIERE fighting force of this time period.

No. Not by a long shot.

Consider that even with those changes late game Prussian infantry would be superior to Janissary infantry, and Swedish infantry as well.

That's not a fair concession. Ottoman military tactics and weaponry started to become outdated by the end of the 16th century.