• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 31st of March 2020

Hello everyone! Today’s Development Diary will be focusing on features part of the Emperor expansion. These features aim to enrich the gameplay surrounding the Holy Roman Empire, both for Emperor and Princes part of the Empire.

You might have noticed that there’s been some quite heavy changes to a very old interface in our Developer Clash.

upload_2020-3-31_11-57-4.png

So now let’s go through these changes today. First up is the new reforms. We wanted to accomodate more playstyles than simply always uniting the Empire under the Emperor. So the Reforms have been divided up to three types, Common, Decentralized and Centralized. In order to access either the Decentralized or Centralized path you need to first get some of the Common reforms. Specifically you need to establish a permanent diet for the Empire.

The common reforms are

Call for Reichsreform
  • -5% Construction and Development cost in Imperial Provinces.
  • Enables Imperial Ban
Institute Reichsregiment
  • Emperor gets +1 Diplomat, +1 Diplomatic Reputation
  • Imperial Provinces gets -2 Unrest
Absolute Reichsstabilität
  • Imperial Provinces gets -25% State Maintenance
Enact Gemeiner Pfennig
  • The Emperor gets 0.5 Tax Income per Prince.
  • All Princes gets +1 Diplomatic Reputation.
Perpetual Diet
  • +50% Imperial Authority Gain
  • Establishes the Perpetual Diet in a Free City.
Create the Landsknechtwesen
  • Mercenaries with home in HRE are cheaper for HRE Members by 25%.
Ewiger Landfriede
  • Emperor gets 0.5 Monthly Prestige
  • All members gets -5% Tech cost
  • Imperial Provinces gets +10% Institutional Spread.
  • Disables internal HRE Wars
After you’ve taken the 5th reform, Perpetual Diet, you can go into one of the specialized paths. However these are mutually exclusive and you can’t go into both.

upload_2020-3-31_11-57-25.png

Following is the Decentralized Reforms

Establish the Reichstag Collegia
  • +3 Free Cities
Expand the Gemeiner Pfennig
  • Emperor gets +100 Manpower per Prince
  • Electors gets 200 Manpower per Prince
  • Imperial Princes gets 10% Friendly Movement speed.
Embrace Rechenschaft Measures
  • +1% Imperial Authority per Prince.
  • +1 Max Electors
Geteilte Macht
  • Electors get +0.5 Tax Income per Prince.
  • -5% Development cost in Imperial Provinces
Reichskrieg
  • Emperor & Electors get +500 Manpower Per Prince when at war against Imperial Enemies
  • Enables Reichskrieg Diplomatic Interaction.

Following is the Centralized Reforms

Reform the Hofgericht
  • Emperor gets -10% Core Construction cost
Curtail the Imperial Estates
  • +25% Imperial Authority
Proclaim Erbkaisertum
  • HRE becomes hereditary
Revoke the Privilegia
  • Princes & Free Cities gets -10% Stability Cost
  • Members are given a choice to stay within the empire and become a vassal under the Emperor or to leave the empire.
Renovatio Imperii
  • The Emperor unites the empire under the Holy Roman Empire tag.

The centralized reforms are based on the old vanilla reforms to unite the empire with some slight changes. The idea is still that you are uniting the empire under one monarch. The Decentralized path has more of a focus on a strong united empire by devolving some of the responsibilities and powers to the Electors.

upload_2020-3-31_11-57-49.png

The last reform on the Decentralized path might not unite the entire Empire in one tag under the Emperor, but it does give the Emperor a powerful tool to call upon the entire empire in a war against the empire’s enemies. This costs 25 Imperial Authority.

If you become Emperor and the previous Emperor has gone into a path you didn’t want, you can now also revoke reforms once per Emperor. This act costs 50 Imperial Authorities just like adding a reform.

To give the Empire a bit of life we’ve implemented something we call the Imperial Incidents. These are big dynamic historical events that affect huge swaths of Europe. From the Burgundian Inheritance, the German Peasant War, the Question of the Swiss to the Dutch Revolt. In total we’ve made 13 of these.

upload_2020-3-31_11-58-3.png

Every single prince will be allowed to weigh in on the issues at hand. For instance, in a case where Burgundy is properly invited to join the Empire, Princes at the border worried about the duke’s ambitions might not want to permit that.

However the Emperor still gets to pick what option he wants to happen, but if it goes against the diet it will hurt the unity of the empire considerably. The Emperor will either gain or lose imperial authority depending on how the diet positions itself in the incident. It calculates this relative between your pick and the option with most support (besides your pick so if you picked the most supported one it takes the second most picked). Princes are worth 0.2 Imperial Authority each and Electors are worth 1 Imperial Authority. Besides the Imperial Authority there’s also opinion changes with members of the empire depending on what you pick.

Together with these new features we’ve done quite a few balance changes. First let’s cover how things are added to the empire. We don’t want you to keep a “reserve of provinces to add” in order to burst through the reforms of the HRE. We want a “healthy” empire is what leads to progress within it. So when you join all legible provinces gets added at once and a lump sum of 10 IA is given. You can add more provinces as you conquer but this is also done with all provinces all at once in the HRE screen instead for one by one. This does also mean that when the Reformation hits and if left unchecked, it becomes a serious blow to the authority of the emperor.

Of course we’re giving the Emperor some more ways to garden his Empire though, for starters there are now 12 Free Cities at start which gives a good baseline of Imperial Authority generation. Overall there’s a lot more princes & fabricating claims within the empire is 50% more expensive. This together means it’s easier to keep the empire above the 25 princes limit for a lot longer. We’ve also made it easier for the Emperor to enforce peace within the Empire by being able to ignore the opinion requirement so you no longer only have the Imperial Ban as an option.

We’ve also added a Force into HRE CB that the Emperor can use. Nations that have their capital in the same continent and that borders the Empire can be forced in through this treaty.

That’s it for today! Next development diary will be two things you’ve seen hinted here and there from time to time in various screenshots from previous development diaries and in the dev clash.

Edit: Since I keep getting asked this no matter how many times I try to clarify....
You do not get 10 IA for adding provinces to the empire, that's only for when a new prince joins the empire. You do not get IA for adding provinces to the Empire.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
So if each time you add provinces you get 10 IA, what's stopping someone from using a vassal as a blocker to only add a small amount of provinces and slowly seize land to add another chunk, and thus accrue IA very fast?

Decentralization certainly looks interesting, although I doubt it'll be optimal. [And certainly won't be a MP thing; although HRE reforms rarely were]

I was going to bring up disallowing of internal HRE wars hurting it in particular, but it's been fixed and was simply an omission.

I could see Decentralisation being particularly nice if:

1: The princes were more likly to vote for Decentralisation than Centralisation
2: The player was vassalising/PU'ing other HRE states

It's worth noting that with sufficient +Improved Relations/-AE Impact and Diplomatic Ideas; No CB wars actually don't hurt too much, and you can use those to force bigger HRE princes to release states before the disallowing of internal wars. I used to use this to enforce religion a lot. It hurts still if you no CB to take land, but No CB for things like Return/Release nation and Religious purposes [or even the $$$] actually can be mitigated quite nicely.

Pop out the princes, activate No Internal War, and Decentralise. Might be fun.

Gonna have to see what the Reichskrieg CB looks like, because otherwise Revoking the Privilege feels too strong to pass up.

It looks like a CB that calls in the entire HRE.

Together with these new features we’ve done quite a few balance changes. First let’s cover how things are added to the empire. We don’t want you to keep a “reserve of provinces to add” in order to burst through the reforms of the HRE. We want a “healthy” empire is what leads to progress within it. So when you join all legible provinces gets added at once and a lump sum of 10 IA is given. You can add more provinces as you conquer but this is also done with all provinces all at once in the HRE screen instead for one by one. This does also mean that when the Reformation hits and if left unchecked, it becomes a serious blow to the authority of the emperor.

Store conquered land over 50 provinces in vassals rather than under you directly. Got it ;)

We’ve also made it easier for the Emperor to enforce peace within the Empire by being able to ignore the opinion requirement so you no longer only have the Imperial Ban as an option.

Will AI emperors use this very often? Sounds like it could add a major uncertainty factor to playing an HRE minor, not to mention making it much more difficult if its used frequently.

Reactions:
Store conquered land over 50 provinces in vassals rather than under you directly. Got it ;)

You won't get 50 IA by adding in 50 provinces anymore. So that won't work

Also, can you still offer the AI to revoke an imperial reform? If so, I doubt anyone will pay the 50 Imperial Authority to get rid of a reform they don't want. They'll just peace out a random AI by offering the reform up which the AI at the moment always accepts.

Also, can you still offer the AI to revoke an imperial reform? If so, I doubt anyone will pay the 50 Imperial Authority to get rid of a reform they don't want. They'll just peace out a random AI by offering the reform up which the AI at the moment always accepts.
Doesn't that option wipe out your IA as well?

Its already hard to maintain the current number of free cities. Having 3 more, especially after the Landfrieden will be challenging unless you release them yourself. At least I hope you finally added granting the free city status to the macro tool.

And do you finally keep all the Emperor buffs after Renovatio?

Doesn't that option wipe out your IA as well?

Yup, but you don't need 50 IA. So, unless you somehow stored up more than 50 IA and had a reform passed you don't want, just offering it up in a peacedeal is the better choice which I expect would be always.

You won't get 50 IA by adding in 50 provinces anymore. So that won't work
Ah so when you say you can still add provinces but only all at once through the HRE screen what does that mean? How much do you get when you add those (if any).

Edit: big ups for trying to make AI something that tics and you have to work at by the way -that will be a huge improvement :)

There doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency in the names of the reform.
Some of them are German. Some of them are english. Some of them are abominations. So maybe:

These are great:
Ewiger Landfriede
Geteilte Macht
Reichskrieg
Renovatio Imperii

These really don't need their verb:
Call for Reichsreform
Institute Reichsregiment
Enact Gemeiner Pfennig
Establish the Reichstag Collegia
Embrace Rechenschaft Measures (this one is especially bad. Just call it Rechenschaft des Kaisers, maybe? Or Rechenschaftsakt?)
Proclaim Erbkaisertum

This sounds like google translator (but might be a phrase I just havent heard)

These could use tralnslation:
Perpetual Diet -> Ewiger Reichstag (actually immerwährender Reichstag, but I can see why that one would scare you :>)
Reform the Hofgericht -> Reform des Hofgerichts
Curtail the Imperial Estates -> Technically "Entmachtung der Reichsstände", but thats a bit long. Can't think of anything good.

This one is probably to iconic to change:
Revoke the Privilegia

this should be "Gemeinerer Pfenning" because that's funny:
Expand the Gemeiner Pfennig

(I also love all the gameplay changes. Especially the "Join me or die!" CB)

So I have a few doubts/ideas that I’d like to know your opinion about

First, what’s the perk of choosing the descentralized route? The centralized Empire also allows you to keep the vassal swarm in the same way as it currently is, so I don’t really see the benefit of you, as the emperor, choosing to descentralize.

Also, Add to Empire CB looks very OP early in the game. For once, you could let the Shadow Kingdom fire and immediately retake all Italian princes to the empire, or maybe even bring Bosnia/Serbia into it and block otoman expansion. Perhaps it would be better if the emperor only got this CB after a few reforms.

Finally, the imperial incidents should be something more dynamic, right? When you announced them, I thought they were going to be something more like the victoria crisis systems, were the players can create their own incidents. For example, whenever territory is conquered in the Empire this could become an incident for the diet/the emperor to decide whether is lawful or not. Or whenever a country leaves the Empire the diet could authorize it or not. Whenever one country has its government overthrown, the diet could choose whether to recognize the new government... and so on. I think this would add much more flavor and “aliveness” to the HRE, as you intend to do. Anyway it’s just a suggestion but I’d really like to know what do you think about it.

Also, great job in this DLC. I’m super anxious to buy it anyway!

The Dev Diary I was waiting for the most as HRE play is my favorite. But I must say; the Decentralized Reforms really look bad compared to the centralized ones.
it could be nice as the HRE can grow without you having to do it for them if they are not vassals but can still call them in in big wars. However, the 25 IA is a lot to get that cb, meaning you can only do so onces every 20 years or so. And then you can lose emporship. And dont get the prince's income, manpower (the manpower bonus given is way lower) and trade.

With the limited knowledge of only reading the devdiary (and not playing 1.30), i still don´t see any reason to not just revoke privilegia and keep the vassal swarm like now.

Are there more benefits for the decentralization route than showed in the devdiary?
As more reforms were added to the empire and the ability to get IA by adding land is nerfed, is IA-gain buffed to compensate for that?

Still excited for the new patch and stay healthy.

@Groogy

Last edited:
The common reforms are

Call for Reichsreform
  • -5% Construction and Development cost in Imperial Provinces.
  • Enables Imperial Ban
Institute Reichsregiment
  • Emperor gets +1 Diplomat, +1 Diplomatic Reputation
  • Imperial Provinces gets -2 Unrest
  • Imperial Provinces gets -25% State Maintenance
Enact Gemeiner Pfennig
  • The Emperor gets 0.5 Tax Income per Prince.
  • All Princes gets +1 Diplomatic Reputation.
Perpetual Diet
  • +50% Imperial Authority Gain
  • Establishes the Perpetual Diet in a Free City.
  • Mercenaries with home in HRE are cheaper for HRE Members by 25%.
Ewiger Landfriede
  • Emperor gets 0.5 Monthly Prestige
  • All members gets -5% Tech cost
  • Imperial Provinces gets +10% Institutional Spread.
  • Disables internal HRE Wars
Out of curiosity, and though the answer is probably obvious, the bonuses for provinces only apply if their owner is part of the empire, right? (as in, if I'm playing France and I eat the whole north of Italy, I'm not gonna get the Call for Reichsreform -5% construction and dev cost bonus in those provinces if I keep them in the empire, will I?)