• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 31st of March 2020

Hello everyone! Today’s Development Diary will be focusing on features part of the Emperor expansion. These features aim to enrich the gameplay surrounding the Holy Roman Empire, both for Emperor and Princes part of the Empire.

You might have noticed that there’s been some quite heavy changes to a very old interface in our Developer Clash.

upload_2020-3-31_11-57-4.png

So now let’s go through these changes today. First up is the new reforms. We wanted to accomodate more playstyles than simply always uniting the Empire under the Emperor. So the Reforms have been divided up to three types, Common, Decentralized and Centralized. In order to access either the Decentralized or Centralized path you need to first get some of the Common reforms. Specifically you need to establish a permanent diet for the Empire.

The common reforms are

Call for Reichsreform
  • -5% Construction and Development cost in Imperial Provinces.
  • Enables Imperial Ban
Institute Reichsregiment
  • Emperor gets +1 Diplomat, +1 Diplomatic Reputation
  • Imperial Provinces gets -2 Unrest
Absolute Reichsstabilität
  • Imperial Provinces gets -25% State Maintenance
Enact Gemeiner Pfennig
  • The Emperor gets 0.5 Tax Income per Prince.
  • All Princes gets +1 Diplomatic Reputation.
Perpetual Diet
  • +50% Imperial Authority Gain
  • Establishes the Perpetual Diet in a Free City.
Create the Landsknechtwesen
  • Mercenaries with home in HRE are cheaper for HRE Members by 25%.
Ewiger Landfriede
  • Emperor gets 0.5 Monthly Prestige
  • All members gets -5% Tech cost
  • Imperial Provinces gets +10% Institutional Spread.
  • Disables internal HRE Wars
After you’ve taken the 5th reform, Perpetual Diet, you can go into one of the specialized paths. However these are mutually exclusive and you can’t go into both.

upload_2020-3-31_11-57-25.png

Following is the Decentralized Reforms

Establish the Reichstag Collegia
  • +3 Free Cities
Expand the Gemeiner Pfennig
  • Emperor gets +100 Manpower per Prince
  • Electors gets 200 Manpower per Prince
  • Imperial Princes gets 10% Friendly Movement speed.
Embrace Rechenschaft Measures
  • +1% Imperial Authority per Prince.
  • +1 Max Electors
Geteilte Macht
  • Electors get +0.5 Tax Income per Prince.
  • -5% Development cost in Imperial Provinces
Reichskrieg
  • Emperor & Electors get +500 Manpower Per Prince when at war against Imperial Enemies
  • Enables Reichskrieg Diplomatic Interaction.

Following is the Centralized Reforms

Reform the Hofgericht
  • Emperor gets -10% Core Construction cost
Curtail the Imperial Estates
  • +25% Imperial Authority
Proclaim Erbkaisertum
  • HRE becomes hereditary
Revoke the Privilegia
  • Princes & Free Cities gets -10% Stability Cost
  • Members are given a choice to stay within the empire and become a vassal under the Emperor or to leave the empire.
Renovatio Imperii
  • The Emperor unites the empire under the Holy Roman Empire tag.

The centralized reforms are based on the old vanilla reforms to unite the empire with some slight changes. The idea is still that you are uniting the empire under one monarch. The Decentralized path has more of a focus on a strong united empire by devolving some of the responsibilities and powers to the Electors.

upload_2020-3-31_11-57-49.png

The last reform on the Decentralized path might not unite the entire Empire in one tag under the Emperor, but it does give the Emperor a powerful tool to call upon the entire empire in a war against the empire’s enemies. This costs 25 Imperial Authority.

If you become Emperor and the previous Emperor has gone into a path you didn’t want, you can now also revoke reforms once per Emperor. This act costs 50 Imperial Authorities just like adding a reform.

To give the Empire a bit of life we’ve implemented something we call the Imperial Incidents. These are big dynamic historical events that affect huge swaths of Europe. From the Burgundian Inheritance, the German Peasant War, the Question of the Swiss to the Dutch Revolt. In total we’ve made 13 of these.

upload_2020-3-31_11-58-3.png

Every single prince will be allowed to weigh in on the issues at hand. For instance, in a case where Burgundy is properly invited to join the Empire, Princes at the border worried about the duke’s ambitions might not want to permit that.

However the Emperor still gets to pick what option he wants to happen, but if it goes against the diet it will hurt the unity of the empire considerably. The Emperor will either gain or lose imperial authority depending on how the diet positions itself in the incident. It calculates this relative between your pick and the option with most support (besides your pick so if you picked the most supported one it takes the second most picked). Princes are worth 0.2 Imperial Authority each and Electors are worth 1 Imperial Authority. Besides the Imperial Authority there’s also opinion changes with members of the empire depending on what you pick.

Together with these new features we’ve done quite a few balance changes. First let’s cover how things are added to the empire. We don’t want you to keep a “reserve of provinces to add” in order to burst through the reforms of the HRE. We want a “healthy” empire is what leads to progress within it. So when you join all legible provinces gets added at once and a lump sum of 10 IA is given. You can add more provinces as you conquer but this is also done with all provinces all at once in the HRE screen instead for one by one. This does also mean that when the Reformation hits and if left unchecked, it becomes a serious blow to the authority of the emperor.

Of course we’re giving the Emperor some more ways to garden his Empire though, for starters there are now 12 Free Cities at start which gives a good baseline of Imperial Authority generation. Overall there’s a lot more princes & fabricating claims within the empire is 50% more expensive. This together means it’s easier to keep the empire above the 25 princes limit for a lot longer. We’ve also made it easier for the Emperor to enforce peace within the Empire by being able to ignore the opinion requirement so you no longer only have the Imperial Ban as an option.

We’ve also added a Force into HRE CB that the Emperor can use. Nations that have their capital in the same continent and that borders the Empire can be forced in through this treaty.

That’s it for today! Next development diary will be two things you’ve seen hinted here and there from time to time in various screenshots from previous development diaries and in the dev clash.

Edit: Since I keep getting asked this no matter how many times I try to clarify....
You do not get 10 IA for adding provinces to the empire, that's only for when a new prince joins the empire. You do not get IA for adding provinces to the Empire.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
In your test games what is the earliest date to finish these hre reforms (either centralized or decentralized)? Currently by 1550 all reforms can be finished thanks to add provinces giving IA.

I was kind of expecting at least one of the decentralized reforms to give a relationship bonus with the Electors, after all they are receiving a lot of bonuses, so they should be a bit happier. Are princes more likely to support decentralized reforms?

Good changes, I'll definitely try out both paths at least a few times!

However, that Switzerland still looks lackluster. It's a pity that none of the proposals from the forum could have been taken into consideration.

Started reading, got to the bottom and there was 1 comment. Signed in so I could comment, we were on page 2 of comments. Wow.

Anyway, this all looks really interesting! My last game was the 1st time I've ever interacted with the empire (by dismantling it as the Polish Commonwealth). I'm excited to try a game within the HRE, maybe going the decentralized route. That looks fun.

After the expansion has come down to 50% sale, of course.

Surely the 100% warscore cap will apply for nations that are too big.
I suspect it would probably work like Force Religion, where you need the nation's total war score to force them in. Otherwise yeah, being able to force the Commonwealth and later Russia would be a bit broken.
I guess the war score cost would be similar to vassalizing otherwise it is indeed busted. That way you can't force large neighbors (like France) into HRE but require to break them up first the force into hre piece by piece

I am inclined to believe that is going to be more like the "Force Personal Union" option that is capped at a possible Warscore so that is always usable, lets hope that is not the case. Anyways it would be better if the devs reply to my comment to clarify everything.

Edit: they did

Looking great! Even if I think that there could be more than 13 incidents.
Just for understanding - does every of the 13 incidents has to happen every campaign or is it like 13 possible incidents if certain conditions are made? So in one game I'll have 4 incidents, in some 7 or something like that?

One other question, I don't see the effect anymore, that countries in the HRE are not allowed to fight wars against each other anymore as it was before after some reforms (Ewiger Landfriede?)
is it gone? :( edit: Ah, it got fixed!

One other question, I don't see the effect anymore, that countries in the HRE are not allowed to fight wars against each other anymore as it was before after some reforms (Ewiger Landfriede?)
is it gone? :( edit: Ah, it got fixed!

He wrote that he made a mistake and that he has edited the text for that specific reform now

It's still in

Are you able to finish the common path if you begin a centralized/decentralized path?

Looks Great!
Nice diary @Groogy
I am a modder and would like the ability to add a capital of a country into the empire without that tag automatically being in the HRE. That would be useful in representing Friesland and East Friesland, which were not imperial princes but de iure, their land was in the HRE. I am not mistaken, it is not possible to do that right now.
I would also be glad if you checked out my suggestions on Hungary, which really needs more detail.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ged-hungary-by-firefly.1355572/#post-26360917

Last week's diary got a lot of feedback regarding the naming of certain catholic mechanics (e.g. "Call Ecumenical Council" doing nothing but moving some money from the Papal State to the curia, when, historically, ecumenical councils were an extremely rare an significant event.) There was no response about it; are any plans to have a second look at Catholicism's features' names?

I was really excited for there to now be a separate viable option for playing the HRE. Sadly I don't feel like this adds one - the bonuses for decentralized are laughable.

You get:
3 free cities, +1 elector, +100 manpower per prince - all of these are functionally useless.
5% dev cost is fine.
~20k manpower cap that you only get while at war with imperial enemies (so infinite war with a far flung power then) is ok but again nothing special or interesting.
And ... that's it?

Those bonuses are meant to be tempting in the face of thousands of development and almost unlimited coring and manpower?

I know what mod I'm gonna make the second this comes out ;)

The interface and imperial incidents look fantastic amazing work on those.

So, is there a reason now to form the united HRE? Or is vassal swarm still going to be 10 times better than the last (and usually most powerful) reform of the centralized path?

Some questions I have:

Geteilte Macht
Is that tax modifier per month or year? If it's per year I'm not sure it's worth it.

For the Reichskrieg; what happens if HRE princes are allied to the tag you want to attack with the cb? Will they side with the defender or will this override previous alliances?

Will it be made harder to disband the HRE? At the moment it's still extremely easy to do so and possible within 5 months with the right tags. Would it for example make sense to not be able to disband the HRE when reforms are passed? That would require people that want to disband the HRE to force the emperor to submit to revoking reforms first. At the moment it would be really strange and unbalanced to disband the HRE after passing nearly all reforms and being close to revoking the priviligia.

Also, my personal take is that the decentralized path bonusses don't come close to having a massive vassal swarm doing not only your bidding with their own income and manpower pools, but also boosting your income and forcelimit by tons.

And indeed, as someone else brought up as well; will there be a new incentive to pass the last centralisation reform as forming the infamous "greyskin" would be in a weaker state than before the reform.

edit: For the people that wonder how you disband the HRE in 5/6 months:

-Start as France/Burgundy or anyone you deem powerful enough.
- Ally all electors. Because of this requirement you don't want to try this as the Ottomans. If electors rival each other, this become a bit more difficult, but there are starts where you can pick up all electors before too long.
- make hungary a rival and declare a humiliation war against Hungary. Make sure Hungary is already allied to Austria when the war is declared.
- You don't need to win the war; all you need is to occupy the capital of the emperor (Vienna). If none of the electors joined the war on the emperor's side, you don't need anything else.
- Wait/savescum for a lucky wall breach on Vienna and assault the fort.

Congratulations, you disband the HRE within 5/6 months.

Last edited:
Some questions I have:

Geteilte Macht
Is that tax modifier per month or year? If it's per month I'm not sure it's worth it.

Flat tax modifiers are generally annually. So this means you'd be getting an extra 0.04 Ducats a month.

However that's 0.04 Ducats a month per prince in the Empire. So 10 Princes means 0.4 ducats a month. If you're going Voltaire's Nightmare that's easily 2 or 3 ducats a month. And every Elector gets this, meaning they have more robust economies, which fits in with the decentralised approach.

Flat tax modifiers are generally annually. So this means you'd be getting an extra 0.04 Ducats a month.

However that's 0.04 Ducats a month per prince in the Empire. So 10 Princes means 0.4 ducats a month. If you're going Voltaire's Nightmare that's easily 2 or 3 ducats a month. And every Elector gets this, meaning they have more robust economies, which fits in with the decentralised approach.

Ohh I don't want to say it's nothing, but generally when you pass reform 4, you're 100 years or more in. Some tags could make more than 100 ducats a month already. Similar as the old reform giving you 20 ducats a year extra, I wonder if it would be enough of a big deal to care about in general. Maybe it will be a slightly bigger deal now that you can perhaps do that reform quicker? It seems to be an improvement over the old situation although I would probably still consider it the weakest reform reward around.

edit: wait, the state maintenance reduction would probably have less effect.