• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 30th of May 2017

Good day all, Tuesday is ever a day for excitement as tensions and plotting surface in the office in the runup to another Dev Clash session. Today however feel free to tune in an hour earlier, as we'll be having a special wee stream for Third Rome itself.

For now though, we're going to talk about features available not only for Russians, but the Orthodox world at large: Metropolitans and Icons.

Patriarch Authority has been a game concept for Orthodox nations since time immemorial, or at least since release. While it's effects have been tweaked a little over the game's lifespan, sadly it has remained somewhat stale in that you wait for events to push it up or down. We've decided to revisit this mechanic to give it more life for Third Rome.

Patriarch Authority will still grant meaty bonuses to Unrest suppression, Missionary Strength and Manpower but it can now be spent to commission new Icons for your nation. Orthodox nations across the globe will be able to make a call against the longlasting effects of high Patriarch Authority against a strong temporary bonus granted from commissioning an Icon.

Icons.jpg

Commissioning an Icon will cost 10 Patriarch Authority and will grant that icon's bonuses for your nation for 20 years. You can at any time switch your Icon out for another at a cost of a further 10 PA, or just wait for them to run their course. Each Icon's effects are as follows:

Code:
            icon_michael = {
                discipline = 0.05
                manpower_recovery_speed = 0.1

icon_eleusa = {
                global_unrest = -3
                harsh_treatment_cost = -0.25

icon_pancreator = {
                development_cost = -0.10
                build_cost = -0.1

icon_nicholas = {
                improve_relation_modifier = 0.25
                ae_impact = -0.1

icon_climacus = {
                global_institution_spread = 0.25
                embracement_cost = -0.2

So a lot of flexibility is offered to the Ambitious Orthodox nation willing to part with some of their Patriarch Authority. Sources of Authority were, however, few and mercilessly random, so we have added a new State ability for followers of the Orthodox faith: Consecrate Metropolitan.

Metropolitan.jpg

In any well developed (30+) State where your religion is in all provinces and cultures are accepted, you can Consecrate a Metropolitan. This will permanently grant a reduction to Devastation at the cost of slightly increased State Maintenance, but when used will bestow +5 Patriarch Authority. Any Orthodox nation can do this, but it plays particularly well into the Tsardom's hands with their increased State limit, allowing them to have more Metropolitans and boost up their Patriarch Authority further.

Both Metropolitans and Icons are features of Third Rome, our upcoming Immersion Pack for EU4. Next week I want to go over some of the changes coming along with v1.22. See you then!

I agree with most that the Metropolitan buff to a city is more like a nerf. Maybe I could do it to uncored provinces then release vassal and let them deal with it.

As far as the icon/PA not working out from a logical/rp perspective you could say that the priests used their favors to commission it so that's why they have less authority now.

I agree with most that the Metropolitan buff to a city is more like a nerf. Maybe I could do it to uncored provinces then release vassal and let them deal with it.
If you ignore the Icons and just get your Patriarchal Authority up to 100 with 20 Metropolitans, you'll be paying, what, about 2 or 3 ducats a month for permanent +2% missionary strength, -3 local unrest, and +33% local manpower (presuming these stay as they are now). How is that not a fantastic deal?

If you ignore the Icons and just get your Patriarchal Authority up to 100 with 20 Metropolitans, you'll be paying, what, about 2 or 3 ducats a month for permanent +2% missionary strength, -3 local unrest, and +33% local manpower (presuming these stay as they are now). How is that not a fantastic deal?

You're paying 2 or 3 ducats a month for something you could've got free if you waited a couple decades but now you have to pay that amount for the rest of your campaign.

You're paying 2 or 3 ducats a month for something you could've got free if you waited a couple decades but now you have to pay that amount for the rest of your campaign.
How does an Orthodox nation get those three bonuses free of cost in two decades? I must've missed something.

And state maintenance does not increase throughout the game unless you increase development. When you're small and have a small number of states you pay a small increase on that small maintenance.

Please teach me the secret of getting 100 PA in a couple of decades (while also keeping in mind that you have to pay 10 PA every time you want to comission icons).

Please teach me the secret of getting 100 PA in a couple of decades (while also keeping in mind that you have to pay 10 PA every time you want to comission icons).
Assuming you don't buy any and the events remain unchanged, getting 100 authority in a couple decades isn't that implausible (at least if my memory on the events is correct)

Assuming you don't buy any and the events remain unchanged, getting 100 authority in a couple decades isn't that implausible (at least if my memory on the events is correct)
Just going off the Wiki the events are three years apart and have a 10.2% chance of happening. Even if it were one event every three years guaranteed that would require 60 years to get to 100 Authority.

Just going off the Wiki the events are three years apart and have a 10.2% chance of happening. Even if it were one event every three years guaranteed that would require 60 years to get to 100 Authority.
Couple decades... 6-10 decades... details details. They are all decades, right? :p

It's time to stop paying for this Bs that should just be in the game we should rise up and embargo this DLC empire. Paradox just wants to milk us of as much money as they can. There's always complaints but, no one does a thing we need to bring Paradox to their knees. Viva la Révolution!

It's time to stop paying for this Bs that should just be in the game we should rise up and embargo this DLC empire. Paradox just wants to milk us of as much money as they can. There's always complaints but, no one does a thing we need to bring Paradox to their knees. Viva la Révolution!
If you don't want it, don't buy it. Simple as that.
I'd much rather have a constant flow of updates so the game I have nearly 3000 hours in continues to be enjoyable instead of moving on to a new game and starting over.

So, out of curiosity, what are the actual Cyrillic spellings for the Russian states?

I think they were already mentioned in the thread.
Москва (Moscow), or Московия (Muscovy) (though I don't think the term Muscovy was used by Russians themselves)
Тверь (Tver),
Псков (Pskov)
Новгород (Novgorod)
Рязань (Ryazan)
Ярославль (Yaroslavl)
Though technically these are names of cities (except for Muscovy, though looking up in wikipedia it seems that originally in Latin Moscovia was also just a name for the city of Moscow), but you probably don't want full names like "Grand Principality of Moscow" on the map, especially in Russian where a more complex grammar for that would have to be programmed in (first, instead of "of Moscow" you should derive an adjective from the city's name, which should also be in neuter gender to agree with the word Principality, then the word order depends on whether it's just a Principality or a Grand Principality). As for Novgorod and Pskov republics, while they're called republics in modern Russian, there wasn't such a word in Russian of the time when these republics existed, so what they were actually called was:
Новгородская земля (Novgorodian Land)
Псковская земля (Pskovian Land) or Псковское господарство (Pskovian Lordship) (at least "Pskovian Lordship" was found on seals of the time)

That one post that (imo obviously jokingly) suggested that Paradox use faux-Cyrillic writing for the Russian States has more dislikes than I've ever seen for a post on this site! That's crazy, especially because I get the strong impression that most people don't recognise that it is almost certainty lighthearted humour at Paradox's expense for doing that kind of thing in HOI3.

I know this will (probably rightfully) get me a lot of down votes, and if the commenter was serious I'll eat crow, but at this point my curiosity overwhelms my wariness: why do people find it so hard to understand intent on the internet? For non native speakers I understand complete (Chinese humour often goes over my head) but for native speakers 'there is no tone on the internet' always confuses me since the tone almost always seems pretty obvious to me.

Last edited:
I'm a bit curious about this. With a 10,2% chance for a +5PA every 3 years, how would you calculate the mathematical expected value to represent to number of years to arrive at 100 PA?

My maths courses are a bit too far away for me to remember how you'd calculate that.

Last edited:
I'm a bit curious about this. With a 10,2% chance for a +10PA every 3 years, how would you calculate the mathematical expected value to represent to number of years to arrive at 100 PA?

My maths courses are a bit too far away for me to remember how you'd calculate that.
The calculation I made was done as if the probability was 100% every three years, because I'm not clever enough to account for the probability.
Each event gives 5 Authority. To get 100 Authority you need 20 events. The events are three years apart so that's 60 years.