• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 30th of July 2019

Hello and welcome to this week’s dev diary. This will be the last content-led dev diary for a little while – from next week onwards, you can expect to be hearing about mechanical changes in the upcoming expansion. For now, though, I will be talking about Savoy. Also, we have a new trade node to show off, so I’ll first of all hand you over to @Ofaloaf to talk you through that.

---

Hey all, @Ofaloaf here with another tidbit of mapwork we've been working on. With all the new provinces added to Italy and France, the Genoa trade node was getting rather large compared to its neighbors. Along with the Pest node (which we have since added an additional route to from Crimea), we decided it was time to split up the Genoa node.

Here's what Genoa used to look like:

upload_2019-7-29_16-40-21.png

That's a pretty considerable chunk of the Western Mediterranean! Even the Venice node doesn't control the whole Adriatic. It was necessary to carve something out of Genoa's trade node. So, since Genoa proper is in Italy, the best option seemed to be to peel away the westernmost provinces. This inclined us to pick to some province in Aragon. Valencia and Barcelona seemed to be the best candidates there, and of the two we ended up going for Valencia, as it was a fine commercial port at the time and it's slightly further away from Genoa on the map.

So the new setup has ended up like so:

upload_2019-7-29_16-41-2.png

Valenica interrupts the flow of trade from Sevilla to Genoa. If you still want trade to flow to Genoa (and that node is now located actually next to Genoa now!), you can still force trade to keep flowing through Valencia through the judicious use of merchants and trade fleets, but you can just try to hold onto all the trade you can at Valencia as well. This change should help make trade in the Mediterranean a little more challenging, and still offer more opportunities for more countries to get a slice of the action.

That's it from me, back to @Caligula Caesar for some Savoy-specific content!

---

To recap on their starting position and their national significance, they are situated between France and Italy with lands in both countries. During the first half of EU4, they were basically fought over by France and the Emperor as both tried to extend their power in Italy. Having successfully managed to avoid being absorbed into either, in the 18th century they were then ceded Sicily (along with the title of King) for their participation in the War of the Spanish Succession. A couple of years later, however, the Emperor forced them to swap Sicily for Sardinia, thus forming the Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmont. Still a relatively weak power compared to its neighbours, soon after the conclusion of EU4 it would emerge as the strongest independent Italian nation (almost by default, since Austria controlled much of the rest of Italy either directly or through puppet states) and so be the focus for the Italian unification movement. By playing their cards well, they were able to capitalise on the situation and form a united Italy, though they had to give up their French lands and Nice to achieve this.

This situation opens up several paths for Savoyard missions. Firstly, there’s the historical path: Early missions focused on surviving and being good at diplomacy, some good economic missions and a path for Italian conquest. However, although EU4’s Savoy remains Piedmontese culture, it felt wrong not to give Savoy missions to do in France. Hence, Savoy has also been given a full tree helping them become King of France.

upload_2019-7-29_16-41-29.png

One of the first missions Savoy might look to complete is an economic one: Prosper in Piedmont. It is achieved by adding three development to Turin (which is coincidentally also the reward for annexing Saluzzo and Montferrat) and getting 120 total development, plus the Renaissance. Doing this will give you an event that will let you either gain even more development in Torino or let you convert to French culture and gain development in French Savoy instead. The AI will choose what to do based on how it is doing in France and Italy.

upload_2019-7-29_16-42-39.png

Occitan starts out as an accepted culture for Savoy, so this switches the cultures around.

Following on from that mission, there are several more economic missions – after all, it was partly Piedmont’s economic strength that led to its ability to unite Italy. Glory to Ciamberi (<capital name> - it changes based on the last mission) requires six buildings to be built in your capital and it to have 30 development. This is quite a lot for mountainous provinces, but the reward is good too – the capital will become a center of trade. Finally, Powerhouse of the North (renamed Powerhouse of the South if you go French) requires the steep task of 100 development in your capital’s area, along with several other economic conditions – but if you get it, you will get +5% admin efficiency and +5% goods produced for the rest of the game.

Another bonus Savoy can get from the same branch of the mission tree, this time via being a very good Christian, is being able to found the Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus.

upload_2019-7-29_16-42-52.png

In terms of conquests, Savoy is well-covered in Italy with a set of missions that basically track their progress towards Italian unification. Once they have images, they may or may not end up with some blatant references to the Risorgimento. On the other side of the Alps, there’s a branch to go east and one to go north. Going north will lead you to clash with Switzerland (Monter l’Estcalade – a reference to an attempt by the Savoyards to take Geneva by surprise… Geneva was historically not an easy vassal for Savoy, something we are keen to represent ingame). You will then have the chance to take Burgundy. On the other hand, going west will have you first clash with Provence and then, if you dare, with France. Once you dominate southern France, you will gain claims on Ile de France. You then need but seize Paris and you will be able to claim the French throne via a personal union CB.

The final branch of Savoy’s mission trees focuses on diplomacy and self-defence. The Savoyards after all had to be very good at both to survive. The first two of these missions require you to first make a strong ally, then make sure you are covered no matter the situation by getting two good friends who happen to be rivalled to each other. This having been done, Savoy will be tasked with having four up-to-date forts in Alpine areas; doing this will give the reward of said forts being upgraded. Finally, the best way to ensure Savoy’s safety is to have a bigger army than any neighbour; doing this will give a useful +10% morale and +1 army tradition for the next 30 years.

---

We didn’t just add missions to Savoy – we have also added two small early-game events (we’re also open to suggestions for more!). The first of these regards the Duke’s father, who resigned his position as Duke to become Antipope Felix. You get the choice on whether to support your father, which gives a healthy military boost in return for somewhat burning your bridges with the Pope.

upload_2019-7-29_16-43-6.png

The second new event concerns Cyprus. Historically, the Savoyard rulers from Charles II in the 1480s right down to Umberto II, the last King of Italy, would claim the Kingdom of Cyprus (and Jerusalem and Armenia) – at least in their titles. This was based mainly on the descent from one of the last Christian Princesses of Cyprus. Fortunately for us, the starting Savoyard ruler is married to a Cypriot, which means that, should a non-Christian nation annex Cyprus, this may happen:

upload_2019-7-29_17-0-42.png

Edit: Almost forgot to show this, but we've also added some new ideas for Sardinia-Piedmont, to make it a more interesting nation to form:

SPI_ideas = {
start = {
idea_cost = -0.1
improve_relation_modifier = 0.25
}

bonus = {
global_tax_modifier = 0.15
}

trigger = {
tag = SPI
}
free = yes #will be added at load.

spi_flexibility = {
diplomatic_upkeep = 1
}
spi_defensive_prowess = {
defensiveness = 0.25
}
the_shroud_of_turin = {
papal_influence = 1
prestige = 0.5
}
spi_royal_sardinian_army = {
discipline = 0.03
global_manpower_modifier = 0.1
}
spi_centralized_state = {
development_cost = -0.05
core_creation = -0.1
}
spi_piedmontese_manufacturing = {
global_trade_goods_size_modifier = 0.1
}
spi_risorgimento = {
ae_impact = -0.1
}
}

SPI_ideas:0 "Sardinian-Piedmontese Ideas"
SPI_ideas_start:0 "Sardinian-Piedmontese Traditions"
SPI_ideas_bonus:0 "Sardinian-Piedmontese Ambition"
spi_defensive_prowess:0 "Defensive Prowess"
spi_defensive_prowess_desc:0 "From the French in Savoy and Piedmont to the Spanish in Sardinia, our lands have long been tempting targets for our neighbors' expansionist ideals. In protecting our sovereignty through the years, we have honed our fortification techniques and mastered the art of defending a fortress."
spi_flexibility:0 "Diplomatic Flexibility"
spi_flexibility_desc:0 "Wedged in between stronger powers and under constant threat of falling too far under their influence, we have been forced to practice nimble diplomacy - some would say shameless opportunism - in order to safeguard our independence and find some new opening to advance our state. Though distasteful in the eyes of traditionalists, opportunism has its upsides."
spi_royal_sardinian_army:0 "Royal Sardinian Army"
spi_royal_sardinian_army_desc:0 "The golden age of mercenaries has passed, and our army shall keep with the times. By implementing reforms to professionalize it, we can establish a standing army capable of projecting our power abroad in Italy and Europe as a whole."
spi_centralized_state:0 "Centralized State"
spi_centralized_state_desc:0 "By imitating the means and methods of the great powers of Europe in our own territories, we can forge Sardinia-Piedmont into powerhouse capable of dominating Italy and standing our ground on the European stage."
the_shroud_of_turin:0 "The Shroud of Turin"
the_shroud_of_turin_desc:0 "The burial shroud of Christ himself was found in our lands in the year 1390 and since that time has been the prized artifact of the House of Savoy. Put the Shroud of Turin on display and watch the pilgrims flock to Piedmont, bringing their wealth with them."
spi_piedmontese_manufacturing:0 "Piedmontese Manufacturing"
spi_piedmontese_manufacturing_desc:0 "Situated on the key trade route between Venice and France, there are many markets on which to sell our produce. By adopting the latest methods pioneered elsewhere, we can increase our production and bring plentiful riches to our lands."
spi_risorgimento:0 "The Risorgimento"
spi_risorgimento_desc:0 "Italy has not been united since the fall of Rome, but the idea of a united Italy has never died. Now, as the dream enjoys a resurgence, we have emerged as one of the main standard bearers of the Italian people's hopes and dreams."

That's all for today! Next week, as mentioned, we'll finally start telling you about the changes to game mechanics we are in the process of implementing. Until then, have a great week!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Savoy huh? I thought it would be Poland today. Ohh well. Out of curiousity, I would like to repeat the question from last week. What happens if Hungary forces a union over Poland? Will the government form change? What happens with Lithuania if they are under Polish PU?

First thought I have after reading the split in trade nodes is that you now need another merchant to make a chain flow from the colonies and Africa to Genoa. Won't adding another station make it more likely trade will flow to the English channel instead? I can also see this being an indirect nerf to "Iberia" as their trade nodes now decrease in value. I'm not complaining here; but I do think that will be the result. I personally don't have a problem with end trade nodes being larger than others. The English channel covers some of the richest areas together as well and is very large too.

The missions for Savoy seem fun, but dangerous as well. Turning French, getting yourself excommunicated seems like the perfect way to paint a juicy target on your back; especially after leaving the empire in 1490. I suppose it could be countered by trying to become emperor yourself by that time. Will Savoy perhaps also be able to re establish Jerusalem like Cyprus, Provence and the Knights?

edit: Well if you turn French, you would avoid the penalties of leaving the HRE so there would be that.

edit 2: Seems like Lyon is now part of the Champagne trade node too. Sneaky little change.

Last edited:
Nice to see some Savoyard content.

I still think however that the Turin capital move is the wrong way around.
Moving your capital to Turin should switch your primary culture to Piedmontese, and give you Occitan as accepted culture.

Not the other way around, e.g. keeping your capital in Chambery switches you to Occitan as primary, with Piedmontese as accepted.

As indeed, it was the move to Turin that gave Savoy a more Italian outlook from the French outlook it had before. Hence, Savoy should start Occitan with Piedmontese as accepted, and switch cultures (or not) via the move capital to Turin event.
I don't really see the issue with having the historical setup from the get go, as the event exists already. Is this to ensure that savoy leaves the HRE with the rest of Italy in 1490 as they would have a Piedmontese culture?

I would argue that this is a great opportunity to also keep Savoy in the HRE, basically the only Italian state to keep more than strong links to the HRE/Emperor (as Savoy needed imperial protection against France). Indeed, Savoy was the only Italian state part of an Imperial circle, the Upper Rhenish Circle. And those were established after Italy leaving the HRE in game.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Circle

So my point is double:
- Savoy should start as Occitan with Piedmontese as accepted, and switch culture via event moving the capital to Turin. This is the historical way things happened.
- Doing so will allow Savoy to remain in the HRE and not be impacted by the Shadow event (except if they move their capital early). This is also the historical outcome. On a gameplay side, this provides Savoy with Imperial protection, which she basically had against France for the whole duration of the game.

Last edited:
As a quality of life change is it possible that we could see historical colonial flags - for example if Scotland formed a colony in canada it would have the Nova Scotia flag, or if Spain formed a colony in mexico it would have the mexican flag. Obviously you could have the choice to keep it the same (like with dynamic province names, which I'm guessing should be updated for the new provinces).
Savoy is looking really nice, I didn't expect such a big mission tree.
Still hoping we get Genoa, Albania and Hesse some missions. And maybe Brittany...

Also I'm a bit saddened that the French path for Savoy doesn't go through the formation of the Kingdom of Arles/Arelat:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Arles

Indeed, this is a medieval kingdom but it was part of the list of Imperial titles well into the game. The last King of Arles was crowned in 1365 (Emperor Charles IV), which is really not far away from the game start, compared with other country formations.

Basically, Provence, Dauphiné and Savoy, should get the opportunity to form the Kingdom of Arles, as they all were constituent parts of the original kingdom. An interesting way to go about this would be to tie it to the Turin event:
- If Turin is chosen as capital and Piedmontese is the primary culture, then Savoy would likely be oriented towards unifying Italy.
- If Chambery is kept as capital and Occitan is the primary culture, then Savoy would be oriented towards reforming Arelat.

Then Savoy should have a mission to form either kingdom: "Achieve our kingly destiny - Form either the Kingdom of Italy or the Kingdom of Arles as Savoy", or something to that effect.

The Genoa split seems sensible - a bit of a buff for Seville, as well, assuming that it still only feeds into Valencia, since it'll be a lot easier to monopolize.

I also like the concept of choosing between French and Italian focus in the Savoyard mission tree and hope to see more of that in the future.

Doing so will allow Savoy to remain in the HRE and not be impacted by the Shadow event
This makes the assumption that the Shadow Kingdom event is unchanged or even still exists. If it's still there though, AE will be a pain in trying to prevent it with all the new map additions.

So no rework for PLC :S
maybe nothing is decided yet, hard mechanics change will be announced after vacation season, for now it's mostly missions, events, trade nodes and ideas, and they announced PLC will be included in DLC. That means if it doesn't come up in next month we can expect changes with mechanic changes like catholicism, hussitism, something around HRE or even own deserved rework. Even if they don't get it(because there is a lot of places to fill or something) i expect them to get next immersion pack which will be even better option, more flavored atleast.

By the way, west and generally south africa should get some stuff, maybe in next free patch ?

Great changes overall! Savoy is for sure one of the first countries i'm gonna play with the new expansion.

A small remark: isn't the name of the order Saint Maurice without the s in saint?

And speaking of Saint-Maurice: Are there any plans to reflect the relations of Savoy, Valais and Switzerland in the 15th century? There were a few interesting suggestions in some earlier dev diarys.

That's some deep Savoy love (here in Italy the ex royal house still harbor some love) :)

I have a couple of questions which didn't find an answer in this dev diary yet:
  1. When will the 64bit patch be released? (I kind of understood it would be coming this week)
  2. Will it "break" Ironman for pre-64bit saves?

Thanks!

This makes the assumption that the Shadow Kingdom event is unchanged or even still exists. If it's still there though, AE will be a pain in trying to prevent it with all the new map additions.

AE was never a problem to prevent shadow kingdom, it doesn't even require to take a single point of AE. It might have been reworked but there's been no such indication so far.

Also I'm a bit saddened that the French path for Savoy doesn't go through the formation of the Kingdom of Arles/Arelat:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Arles

Indeed, this is a medieval kingdom but it was part of the list of Imperial titles well into the game. The last King of Arles was crowned in 1365 (Emperor Charles IV), which is really not far away from the game start, compared with other country formations.

Basically, Provence, Dauphiné and Savoy, should get the opportunity to form the Kingdom of Arles, as they all were constituent parts of the original kingdom. An interesting way to go about this would be to tie it to the Turin event:
- If Turin is chosen as capital and Piedmontese is the primary culture, then Savoy would likely be oriented towards unifying Italy.
- If Chambery is kept as capital and Occitan is the primary culture, then Savoy would be oriented towards reforming Arelat.

Then Savoy should have a mission to form either kingdom: "Achieve our kingly destiny - Form either the Kingdom of Italy or the Kingdom of Arles as Savoy", or something to that effect.

Came here to write exactly that, I love the position this kingdom is in, right between bigger powers, trying to establish itself. In mods where you can form it, it's a great challenge and really fun, so please consider it, especially as you already have these two paths in the mission tree!

Silly thought perhaps:

Might Valencia's trade node hook into Bordeaux as well, transfering trade up to the Bordeaux node?

Reason I ponder this: It gives a potential trade route that (if I remember off the top of my head at nearly 2 AM) existed historically during the 15th Century. It also provides a potential other route for North African trade, from Tunis to Valencia to Bordeux then perhaps Paris or the English channel.

Breaks up the power and importance of the Seville node which honestly I think is basically out of proportion, to the point where it's one of the most important ones (and usually where Global Trade spawns in about 60% of my games. 35% or so in English Channel and 5% luck chance of actually being Genoa or somewhere else entirely). Gives France a better chance of increasing the values of its nodes (might be needed considering the general pasting I see France getting this patch).

Reactions:
While I don't mind this Genoa-Valencia split, I'm a bit skeptical about keeping Sicily and Southern Italy in Genoa. Also, five incoming arrows to Genoa? Seems a bit too much.
When the dev diary mentioned a Genoa split, I expected Sicily to be split out.