• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Welcome to another development diary about Europa Universalis IV. Today we’ll go into details about mechanics for some religions, that will become available with the next expansion.

Protestanstism
Each protestant church will have their own name in the interface, like Church of England and so on. You can then customise the benefits of your church, and also change it over time whenever you need. To change the aspect of your church, you have to spend Church Power.

Church Power is accumulated each month, depending on your current religious unity, and your monarchs abilities.

Adding an aspect to your church costs 100 church power, but you can remove an aspect at any time, but that will lower your stability by 1.

A Church can have up to 3 different aspects, and there are 12 different ones to pick from. Some of these include.

• Holy Sacraments: +2.5% Discipline
  • Individual Creeds: -5% Idea Costs
  • Adult Baptism: +1% Missionary Strength.

BwS3wNu.jpg

Buddhism
The Buddhist Faith gained the concept of Karma. Karma needs to be balanced, because if it goes too positive or negative, you end up with penalties. If you go too positive you end up with penalties to your diplomatic abilities, and if you go too negative, you end up with penalties to your military abilities.

However, If you keep a balanced karma, you gain bonuses to both diplomatic and military abilities.

Some examples on how you gain Karma include: Starting wars decrease Karma, while honoring defensive alliances increase Karma.

While adding the Karma mechanic and its related events it also became clear that the game setup could benefit from splitting the existing religion into Vajrayana, Mahayana and Theravada. These three religions will all use the same Karma mechanic but don't all share the same events related to it and can in some cases have different event options in the events they do share. Events related to Lamas are for instance reserved for the Vajrayana faith while only Theravada countries can turn to Ceylon for spiritual inspiration. The three religions also differ in what bonuses they provide.

u5fCLc8.jpg

Next week we will talk about about subjects and how to interact with them...

Suggest a better solution then.

how about not add mana and add something similar to V2s infamy system, where you get influence (or "church power" if you want) depending on what reforms you pass. the more laws you pass (such as enforced church attendance and common book of prayers) gives you more church power, allowing you to have higher taxes and increased missionary strength. however if you haven't passed many reforms your "church power" will decay. that seems a lot more accurate than mana.

Reactions:
how about not add mana and add something similar to V2s infamy system, where you get influence (or "church power" if you want) depending on what reforms you pass. the more laws you pass (such as enforced church attendance and common book of prayers) gives you more church power, allowing you to have higher taxes and increased missionary strength. however if you haven't passed many reforms your "church power" will decay. that seems a lot more accurate than mana.

That doesn't sound like V2's infamy system at all -- not that that in particular is bad as infamy was a poor system.

What you suggest just sounds like free points. Pass good things and get more good things... don't pass good things and your power to pass good things goes down. Where is the trade-off there? Maybe you skipped a sentence in your line of thought?

The Brandeburg-Prussian dukes converted around the end of the XVIth century to Calvinism and the era of Prussian military exploit was during the time the Prussian state religion was Calvinist.

It's true that the majority of the Prussian were not Calvinist but in EU terms it's the state religion that matters and Reformed base heretic tolerence + Humanism represents well the situation in Prussia in those times.

This is where provincial/state demographics and % of religions in a province would be useful.

That makes some sense but to have it completely replace the current religion modifiers would lead to some bizarre effects.

The Ottomans, example, have high Tolerance of Christians, historical and in game. With your mechanic that would lead to Christian nations feeling all friendly towards the Ottomans. Would you want that?
But on the other hand the Christians don't tolerate muslim and that should also be taken into account. If Austria don't tolerate muslims in their own country they won't like the muslim rulers either.

But on the other hand the Christians don't tolerate muslim and that should also be taken into account. If Austria don't tolerate muslims in their own country they won't like the muslim rulers either.

It wasn't allways that bad ;) We had some Muslim tolerating states in history. I know at least enough for the Middle Ages... For the EU4 period I'm not that sure...

Reactions:
It wasn't allways that bad ;) We had some Muslim tolerating states in history. I know at least enough for the Middle Ages... For the EU4 period I'm not that sure...
Yes I know that, but in game it's almost never positive and thats why I said it like I did. Myself I beleive that too many have a too negative image(compared to reality) of the medieval times in Europe in most ways, but still like I said, it would not nesecerily(don't know if this is a word) be a positive relation between ottomans and the christian nations because of tolerance because the tolerance must go both ways.

It just seems like there's no real benefit to having a tolerant pluralistic society. You're almost always better off converting them all in the long-term. If tolerance eased relations with Heathen and Heretic neigbhors, it'd be more worth it.

It just seems like there's no real benefit to having a tolerant pluralistic society. You're almost always better off converting them all in the long-term. If tolerance eased relations with Heathen and Heretic neigbhors, it'd be more worth it.

Mono-religion is better in the long run, but you still benefit significantly from reduced internal issues while you are converting new provinces. The main thing that would make religious tolerance more worth it is if converting provinces was a much slower process, so that you can't just convert the entire Middle East to Christianity in 100 years or what have you. Missionary strength is kind of wonky at the moment in that a couple of points of it suddenly take a province from 'cannot convert' to 'done in a couple of years'. It was more balanced in previous games, where missionaries were slow and unreliable, so you nearly always had some wrong-religion provinces to deal with if you blobbed out of your natural religious area.

Reactions:
The issue with the Ottomans is easily solved via a better AE system.

The ottomans pushed heavily in to Christian Europe, which caused some animosity towards them. Other Muslims countries weren't as hated, and even the Ottomans themselves allied France.

Not to mention that the long run is fine and all but in this game by the point I have humanist completed and look to the long run I probably won't be playing until then.

Could you please fix Russia? Please :(

About people who are telling that protestants are superior to catholic, mention, that the most developed parts of Germany - Rheinland and Bayern, are actually catholic.

Ah, I forgot to ask, is there any chance that the Mongols have their historical Tengri religion instead of Buddhism? Altan Khan introduced Tibetan Buddhism in Mongolia in 1578, but Mongolia became thoroughly Buddhist only in the second half of the 17th century (a hundred years later). Regardless, both happend way later than the start date and the Mongols (and many Tatars like the Siberians) of 1444 were Tengrist.
You could even make content related to this, events for switching the wavering Mongols states to Buddhism or Islam.

also the other Christian branches: Orthodox and Coptic need some love - they're really underpowered compared to the European Christians. Even though orthodox have a mechanics - you just don't have much of a way to control it, not to mention that -33% tax is very harsh.
Even the baseline of 40mp per idea for protestant makes it worth having, and now you're making it even stronger.

It's simply bias that they're making west-European religions op. :p
It's like if they were to make every culture have different bonuses/disadvantages...
Europeans're strong just from having good value land, siphoning goods/trade from all over the world and tech. Religion is a completely different sphere which shouldn't give too many advantages compared to other religions.

Last edited:
About people who are telling that protestants are superior to catholic, mention, that the most developed parts of Germany - Rheinland and Bayern, are actually catholic.
Though the Rhineland spent 1815-1918 as part of the Kingdom of Prussia, which definitely wasn't Catholic, and Saxony and Brandenburg spent 1945-1990 under the rule of the SED as part of the Warsaw Pact.