• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 2nd of June 2016

Hello and welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. This is probably the last one I’ll write for some months, as I’m taking some paternity leave. I’m leaving you in the capable hands of DDRJake though, who’ll give you weekly diaries in June, August and September.. As you all know, we’re a swedish company, so July is sacred and holy, and must be worshipped in the sun.

Speaking of Swedish, I guess it is time to talk about something related. Culture.

Culture in Europa Universalis, as most of you seem to grasp, have nothing with linguistic relations to do, but more of a semi-arbitrary limits of who gets along better with who, and who could rule others easier through history.

Which cultures were accepted in your nation in EU4 has not really been controllable though before, as you get gaining or losing, depending on the presence of a culture in your country.

In 1.18, which we aim to release in the autumn, we have completely removed the cultural acceptance percentage system, and instead give you control over which cultures are accepted or not in your empire.

First of all, there is now a limit on how many cultures a nation can accept.

There is a base of 2 accepted cultures, The Humanist Idea ‘Cultural Ties’ gives you 2 more slots, Enlighetened Despotism increases it with up to 3 at Empire level & Several Nations have ideas giving them an extra slot. There are also policies that can give you an extra slot each if you so desire and Diplomatic Technology gives you up to 5 more slots, currently from level 8, 14, 20, 26 & 31.

If you have too many cultures, you will lose the last one you accepted.

Any accepted or same culture group can be made into primary culture, if its at least 50% of your cored state development. This costs 100 diplomatic power and obviously this means that the cultural shift decision has been made obsolete and is now removed.

You can promote any culture in your nation that has at least 20 cored development in a state. It costs 100 diplomatic power.

You can also remove an accepted culture if you so wish, which costs 10 diplomatic power, and adds 5 unrest in all the provinces with that culture.

Here is a look of the new government window, which includes the culture lists.

fN0Ylyn.jpg

Stay tuned, next week Jake will all tell you about WHY it is better to be a great power than a minor.

Reactions:
Looking forward to seeing how this plays out. Is Calais always Francien now? Or did France just convert it? It would help prevent Calais Netherlands.
Also, what is the red dot on the mini map?

I don't know if I like that. It is definitely a progression, of course, but, what about multiethnic empires such as Russia, the Mongols, american colonies... Many countries had tens of cultures in them, and here it couldn't be possible.

Reactions:
Can you give in options of the game. Options where we will can turn of some of yours new mechanics? Beacause i am not a fan of state and estate mechanic and your new ideas of accepted culture. I wanna play at the old mechanic wich is for me much better. You can add that mechanic but lett us play as we like.

Reactions:
Hello and welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. This is probably the last one I’ll write for some months, as I’m taking some paternity leave.

Ah we all know you will just secretly start developing Victoria 3! ;)

Anyway, have a nice time and thank you for the DD, I am really looking forward to these features!

Hello and welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. This is probably the last one I’ll write for some months, as I’m taking some paternity leave. I’m leaving you in the capable hands of DDRJake though, who’ll give you weekly diaries in June, August and September.. As you all know, we’re a swedish company, so July is sacred and holy, and must be worshipped in the sun.
Paternity leave? You found out you are the son of Thor and will go on a quest to find and duel your father?

Hope this is released simultaneously to a CKII-EUIV converter update that acknowledges these changes. I don't want the converter to be broken for weeks again because they didn't anticipate the EUIV update.

Also I've noticed that currently in EUIV you get western European countries allying with East-Indian countries which means you have to go on an expedition to the subcontinent if you want the war to end quickly. It's silly as this surely wouldn't happen in the 1500's, I'm sure neither party would've heard of each other during this period.

Reactions:
Congrats on the kid/s.

I like the idea of more control over culture, might feel a tad bit low with just 2 accepted i guess.

This sounds absolutely fantastic. Being able to shift the culture of provinces towards a different culture then your own was allready a big step in the right direction but it still felt a bit artificial to play around with that in order to control cultures in your nation.

Hello and welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. This is probably the last one I’ll write for some months, as I’m taking some paternity leave. I’m leaving you in the capable hands of DDRJake though, who’ll give you weekly diaries in June, August and September.

1) Congrats
2) July?