• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 2nd of June 2016

Hello and welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. This is probably the last one I’ll write for some months, as I’m taking some paternity leave. I’m leaving you in the capable hands of DDRJake though, who’ll give you weekly diaries in June, August and September.. As you all know, we’re a swedish company, so July is sacred and holy, and must be worshipped in the sun.

Speaking of Swedish, I guess it is time to talk about something related. Culture.

Culture in Europa Universalis, as most of you seem to grasp, have nothing with linguistic relations to do, but more of a semi-arbitrary limits of who gets along better with who, and who could rule others easier through history.

Which cultures were accepted in your nation in EU4 has not really been controllable though before, as you get gaining or losing, depending on the presence of a culture in your country.

In 1.18, which we aim to release in the autumn, we have completely removed the cultural acceptance percentage system, and instead give you control over which cultures are accepted or not in your empire.

First of all, there is now a limit on how many cultures a nation can accept.

There is a base of 2 accepted cultures, The Humanist Idea ‘Cultural Ties’ gives you 2 more slots, Enlighetened Despotism increases it with up to 3 at Empire level & Several Nations have ideas giving them an extra slot. There are also policies that can give you an extra slot each if you so desire and Diplomatic Technology gives you up to 5 more slots, currently from level 8, 14, 20, 26 & 31.

If you have too many cultures, you will lose the last one you accepted.

Any accepted or same culture group can be made into primary culture, if its at least 50% of your cored state development. This costs 100 diplomatic power and obviously this means that the cultural shift decision has been made obsolete and is now removed.

You can promote any culture in your nation that has at least 20 cored development in a state. It costs 100 diplomatic power.

You can also remove an accepted culture if you so wish, which costs 10 diplomatic power, and adds 5 unrest in all the provinces with that culture.

Here is a look of the new government window, which includes the culture lists.

fN0Ylyn.jpg

Stay tuned, next week Jake will all tell you about WHY it is better to be a great power than a minor.

Reactions:
Hello and welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. This is probably the last one I’ll write for some months, as I’m taking some paternity leave.
Congrats, we will miss you :p

If you have too many cultures, you will lose the last one you accepted.
That seems a bit awkward...but I guess this does help reduce the cost and time to culture shift if you so wish.

Great improvements ahead but what the hell is "Francien"? It would be a language at best but most linguists do not even consider it as such.
Northern/Paris/Ile-de-France French. It used to be called Cosmopolitaine back in the day, and there was a lot of discussion on the forums about that. The 'Francien' moniker was the best anyone came up with in the end, because you can't just call it 'French'.

Reactions:
I support the direction where next patch is going. But have you thought that in spite of future updates, the penalty for unaccepted culture is a little bit too low? You're basically losing around 20% manpower from the province and thats it. Perhaps a similar "switch" like native policy could be made, but towards not accepted cultures - ranging from full tolerance to promoting mother culture over others (which could mean something similar to culture spread from EU3). Because right now I see no purpose in spending bird mana to switch cultures.

Reactions:
Northern/Paris/Ile-de-France French. It used to be called Cosmopolitaine back in the day, and there was a lot of discussion on the forums about that. The 'Francien' moniker was the best anyone came up with in the end, because you can't just call it 'French'.
Well, alright but this adjective barely exists in French, let alone in English, and refers to a language, not an ethnicity of any sort.

Reactions:
Cheers for the DD Johan and good luck for paternity leave and all that it entails :). These cultural changes sound intriguing. Sounds like a great way to make managing culture/empires a bit more dynamic and interesting. That said, could lead to some odd situations - maybe if (like states/territories/areas) there was another cultural hierarchy, so it's more difficult to accept cultures outside that (for example, the English trying to get an East Asian culture as accepted as part of their state historically would have been very difficult)?

Also, in terms of the penalties for removing cultures/costs for accepting cultures, is there any value in perhaps make it scale with the relative size of that culture. For example:

- if accepting a great big culture, then it could lead to cultural 'indigestion' - so say accepting a culture increase the 'accepted culture' development by a third or so, there's some transition penalty (higher unrest/some events/what-have-you) during the change.
- If removing a large culture, maybe potentially have some events where there's a decent chance of a nationalist rebellion

Just thoughts, could be rubbish. Looking forward to 1.18. Enjoy your sun :).

Reactions:
The modern adjective "Francilien", which refers to inhabitants of the Ile-de-France region would be less absurd, even if anachronical . I agree that "cosmopolitan" was bad, though.

Reactions:
Well, alright but this adjective barely exists in French, let alone in English, and refers to a language, not an ethnicity of any sort.
I'm not saying Francien is fantastic, but it's way better than "Cosmopolitaine". I don't know a lot about it though - you could post a suggestions thread?

Reactions:
Netherlands is 1% Irish. My god it finally happened.
*takes off sunglasses*

Reactions:
It is fundamentally a good idea, but making a culture accepted overnight is not really realistic. I think there should be a period which acceptance increases gradually and some modifiers (like ideas, events etc.) affecting the speed.

Reactions:
I'm not saying Francien is fantastic, but it's way better than "Cosmopolitaine". I don't know a lot about it though - you could post a suggestions thread?

What about Parisian?

Reactions:
Well, I propose "Francilien" but as I said, it is very anachronical and does not match the whole region either. What is the problem with French, compared to say, German, anyway?
What about Parisian?
It is a little too restrictive, considering the region at hand. Ok, maybe I will create a thread later but if generalolaf says there has already been a debate on this, it is probably pointless.

Reactions:
It doesn't look like there have been any overhauls to culture groups, at least not at this point, but the current changes are good to see. Hopefully the crown screen is more focused on the monarchs, heirs and dynasties, that would be most excellent.

Reactions:
Well, I propose "Francilien" but as I said, it is very anachronical. What is the problem with French, compared to say, German, anyway?

It is a little too restrictive, considering the region at hand. Ok, maybe I will create a thread later but if generalolaf says there has already been a debate on this, it is probably pointless.
It wasn't long after release and dated back into EU3. It's not necessarily such a bad discussion to have again.

Edit: French is problematic because it's a culture group and also covers Occitan, Gascon etc.

Reactions: