• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 29th November 2016

Hi everyone and welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. We’re now in the phase where we have just released the big post-expansion patch and there is not really all that much new stuff to show as development is starting on the next expansion.

These development diaries tend to be not so popular, as we don’t reveal much as it simply isn’t finished. So what can we say in this development diary? Well, some vague hints, and some indication of the future?

We have taken a lot into account that large major improvements and thematically connected features are what you prefer. Currently we have four more major expansions more or less fleshed out, with themes that you have requested a lot and that I feel you will love. The next one will have a focus on X and Y.

One thing that you have noticed with first Mare Nostrum and then with Rights of Man, is the concept of States In 1.19 we even added thicker borders between states. The reason for this emphasis on States is that it will give us the possibility for more mechanics in the game, while reducing micromanagement somewhat, and still have allow for fun maneuvering during wars. In the next expansion, we’ll be doing further enhancements to our states.

One cool little thing we’re doing with 1.20 for those of you that like to mod the game. We’re adding support for modders to add modifiers to cultures and culture-groups, both for province and country scope. This is for those that want a super-historically-correct mod where Swedes naturally have a +50% bonus to awesome_game_development.

SWE_loadingscreen_Gustav_II_Adolf_01.png

Stay tuned, next week we’ll start showing off one of the first features in 1.20 update.

Don't miss today's developer multiplayer clash at 15:35 (new time today only) on https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
"This is for those that want a super-historically-correct mod where Swedes naturally have a +50% bonus to awesome_game_development."

Overpowered root vegetables.

Reactions:
Swedish Culture Group:
Paradoxian:
- Development diary content reduced by 75%.
- Reluctance to release East-oriented (see what I did there?) content increased by 50%.

Reactions:
Reactions:
added thicker borders between states.

I like that you are expanding the mechanics of states, but I am not really happy with the aesthetic part of it. Would you mind changing the border of the states to a lighter version of the country's colour so that it's more aesthetically pleasing? Or at least, change the state borders from black to grey/ some lighter colour.

Reactions:
I like that you are expanding the mechanics of states, but I am not really happy with the aesthetic part of it. Would you mind changing the border of the states to a lighter version of the country's colour so that it's more aesthetically pleasing? Or at least, change the state borders from black to grey/ some lighter colour.
I actually would like them to be better visible. Country borders make state borders completely unrecognizable.

Reactions:
I hope the mandate of Heaven would be more dynamic; it can definitely be lost, but there's a lot of difference between an Emperor whose reign was admired and those who were simply 'Meh, es geht'

Reactions:
I really hope we get a strong focus on deepening interplay between all the system that get added via DLCs, since sadly the lack of that is one of the disadvantages of such a modular DLC policy. Otherwise, I am hopeful for more content regarding East Asia and hope for more cool, unique government forms.

In the longterm, I would like to see a revamp of trade, introduction of secondary cultures/religions or a complete combat overhaul that emphasizes army composition, terrain, etc. a lot more.

Reactions:
The best news any dev diary could give me is, "It'll take 6+ months before it is done." That way, I just might finish a campaign before a new patch/DLC breaks everything. Again. :p

Seriously, though. The one-month interval between 1.18 and 1.19 was just too short for a game where any playthrough can take hundreds of hours. Even with the beta patch rollbacks, Paradox has a huge issue with their incompatibility across versions when they are rolled out this frequently. I so wish Paradox games weren't so vulnerable to patch updates.

Reactions:
improvement to Zone of Control with clear and consistent rules that also apply to the AI in a consistent manner? I always have the feeling that the AI does stuff that I am not allowed to do :(

Reactions:
The best news any dev diary could give me is, "It'll take 6+ months before it is done." That way, I just might finish a campaign before a new patch/DLC breaks everything. Again. :p

Seriously, though. The one-month interval between 1.18 and 1.19 was just too short for a game where any playthrough can take hundreds of hours. Even with the beta patch rollbacks, Paradox has a huge issue with their incompatibility across versions when they are rolled out this frequently. I so wish Paradox games weren't so vulnerable to patch updates.
But... 1.18 saves works fine with 1.19.

Reactions:

I think there's an option in settings to switch it back.

Reactions:
X and Y?
Algebra...
Binomial Theorem...
Modern Major General...
Gilbert and Sullivan...
19th Century.

Victoria III confirmed!

Reactions:
I hope that at least one of X and Y deals with ROTW.
I hope next patch will focus on Asia and some Johan-forgotten East European country :oops:
Byzantium, yes, it has been quite neglected as of late.

Reactions: