• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 27th of October 2020

Hello everyone! Today we are going to talk about some improvements in some interfaces for how you deal with governing capacity and one new feature that uses a lot of governing capacity but also let you “keep growing” on the land you already own.

First to make it easier to manage your governing capacity we’ve been adding needed information in two places. First we have added so when a building affects governing capacity it will now show that so you can get a sense of where you will get most value out of it in your realm, helping players with larger empires.

1603787892909.png

This means buildings such as courthouses will now show how much governing capacity they will remove if built in that specific province.

Next is a little help to everyone who have been amassing a lot of vassals to hold land for them. Previously there was no way to see how much governing capacity a vassal had or how much was being used.

1603787978875.png

We’ve now added so that can be viewed under the subject interface when you go into the details window for that subject.

Now to the new feature, for the one that has extra governing capacity, a Switzerland hiding in the mountains wanting to play tall. So in a province that is at least 15 development you can expand its infrastructure to allow for another building and manufactory in it. This increases the governing cost of the province by a flat 200 which can not be reduced by province modifiers.

1603788042280.png

Then for every 15 development of the province and further 200 governing capacity you can expand the infrastructure more for more slots of buildings and manufactories.

Hope you’ve enjoyed today's development diary! Next week we’ll be back with a new diary which will be written by Johan!

• 96Like
  • 25Love
Reactions:
The first 2 changes are really needed and good that they are coming now (better late than never)
Please also add an alert for new estates agendas. I miss them always.

This is also my problem with the new feature. 200 gov cap is sooo much... And the button is so small, that the most people will miss this when needed, or just misclick. An undo or an confirmation toolbox would be nice here, to not accidentally destroy the own country

• 82Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Then for every 15 development of the province and further 200 governing capacity you can expand the infrastructure more for more slots of buildings and manufactories.
I'm absolutely loving the concept, but a flat 200 increase in GC is... well, interestingly high? Switzerland only starts off with 150 GC (200 base -50 from Swiss Cantons), I'm not sure if you could even afford to have even one of these 'upgrades', even if you didn't expand at all until admin tech 17 or something.

I get that the cost is intentionally high to prevent players from stacking 5 Furnaces on Lublin for example, but a flat 200 is a bit too much. Maybe a 200% increase that multiplies could work better? (Base cost: 25 -> 50 -> 100 -> 200, etc.) Because right now (assuming you want to play tall), given the same amount of GC, you would be much better off just developing that 15 dev province to 50 dev instead of building one more manufactory, which would both rake in more income and not burden you with being ridiculously over governing capacity out the gate.

Alternatively there's also the possibility that you could also increase the manufactory slot count 7 times on a Cocoa/Dyes/Silk province then hand it over to your colonial nation/vassal to manage, which could be somewhat viable I guess.

Operation 'Turn Every Province In India Into Golconda' is a go

Last edited:
  • 60Like
Reactions:
Can you abandon that infrastructure? What if the enemy acquires the province with infrastructure? If it's non-removable and the enemy gains control of it on acquisition, it would be a coring cost increase nightmare again. Shivers.

• 55Like
Reactions:
Being able to see how much GC will be decrease by the building is great!

Why would anyone ever pay 200 GC for 2 building slots? The price seems way too high to ever be justifiable.

• 29Like
Reactions:
Also I checked the steamshop while the free eu4 weekend. A lot of new players are frustrated about the outdated tutorial. I think you could give way more people a way into the game if there would be an actualization of the tutorial. Clearer tooltips and more alerts

• 14Like
Reactions:
Can you broke that last option by expanding the infrastructure in your capital state?

Also, how about a little buff of starting GC? About 300 to duchies, 500 to kingdoms and 700 to empires. It would ease early game a little bit and will not change much in the long run.

• 4Like
Reactions:

New mechanic might have use but at current costs I hope this is a typo. 200 governing capacity for +1 building slot/manufactory is completely imbalanced and never worth the investment. Even by building the statehouses and reducing to an absurd -50%, 100 development is still going to be far more beneficial than +1 building slot

• 13Like
Reactions:
Why is the button a minus? Can the "expanded infrastructure" be reversed?

Even by building the statehouses and reducing to an absurd -50%, 100 development is still going to be far more beneficial than +1 building slot
This increases the governing cost of the province by a flat 200 which can not be reduced by province modifiers.
Seems to me like this feature is only intended for very small nations. I'm not sure even a very small nation would bother though as it would mean kneecapping any possibility of expansion in the future.

• 13Like
Reactions:
I get that the cost is intentionally high to prevent players from stacking 5 Furnaces on Lublin for example, but a flat 200 is a bit too much. Maybe a 200% increase that multiplies could work better?
You are overlooking a small thing here. A percentage is a bad idea, since that would allow you to gain extra manufactory slots for almost no price on low dev provinces. A flat value is the way to go

• 7Like
Reactions:
I guess it isn't possible to have twice the same manufacturing building in a expanded province? It would be way to overpowered.
If it works so, I will say it is a good way to make the alternative manufactories more interesting.

• 1Like
Reactions:
A percentage is a bad idea, since that would allow you to gain extra manufactory slots for almost no price on low dev provinces. A flat value is the way to go
If you read the dev diary carefully, Groogy mentions that this mechanic is exclusive to provinces above 15 dev. Which means that expanding infrastructure even once sends the GC up to 30, which is pretty damn significant for what could alternatively have 10 different 3 dev provinces with 10 manufactories.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I'm not sure if 200 Governing Capacity is worth the 600-800 monarch points I could spend to improve its development by 10 at only the cost of 10 Governing Capacity.

But yeah, the first change is very welcome, it's a pain when you want to spam courthouses and you have no idea beyond manually checking each province to see where you get the most bang for your buck.

• 3Like
Reactions:
this is a pretty clever way to get some use out of the non-manufactory buildings that take up the manufactory slot. 200 gc is, as people have said, obviously too much, but most absurd numbers in dev diaries are basically just floating them out to see a reaction and then adjusting accordingly. im not sure why people are assuming youd be able to build more than one of the same type, since thats not how any other building in the game works, but idk maybe im the idiot and thats exactly how it is

will the ai be adjusted to try and build manufactories if theyve gone ahead and spent this gc on the extra slot? itll be honestly really frustrating if theyre spending for slots and then sticking docks in them or whatever

• 1Like
Reactions:
The convenience of that first change is great.

The 200 GC for buildslot... I like it in theory, but it seems like another specialized mechanic added to the game to patch a problem, instead of modifying existing mechanics to encourage that better.
I dunno. Maybe a better way is to have the development of a province scale up better the more development there is. Instead of each development giving, say, 0.1 tax, it should be that the 1st development gives 0.1, the 2nd gives 0.12 (total 0.22), the next gives 0.15 (total 0.37), the next gives 0.19 (total 0.56), etc.
I think that is effectively what buildings are supposed to do, but with how much money is available late-game to keep building buildings, money you can get from trade, and that the best way to get more trade value is by expanding, and with manufactories giving a flat increase of 1 and you can only have 1 per province so having more provinces is better.....
Yeah. I'd rather have 1 more province for minuscule GC increase to have place to build one more manufactory, than to pay 200 GC for effectively the same thing but without the extra trade power taken away from my neighbors.

• 5Like
Reactions: