• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 27th of March 2018

rb.jpg

Good morning! It's Tuesday and probably 10am somewhere so let's have another EU4 Dev Diary. Today marks one week since the release of Rule Britannia along with the 1.25 England update. The whole team is delighted to see people playing and enjoying the content, in particular the popularity of England (Already one of the most played nations in the game) spiking sixfold.

So while we are very happy with how this release has gone this is no time to rest on our laurels. We have been hard at work digesting your various bug reports and feedback and fixing appropriately. Today I want to talk about our development plans going forward.

Firstly, we have not released any immediate hotfixes for 1.25. We put together a hotfix as soon as possible when we find massive issues, usually with stability (game crashing, consistent widespread out of syncs) which affect many people with high frequency. Thankfully we have not been receiving much report of these but there are still a number of issues which we do want to get fixed in a small patch which we are looking to have ready for you in the not too distant future.

Here is a list of some of the issues we are looking to get fixed up as a matter of urgency:

• Rare naval mission crashes in Random New World Games
  • AI pirating Rule Britannia and having access to Naval Doctrines when the player does not
  • Duplicating modifiers when loading multiple save games
  • Various Missions fixes a-la 20,000 development U-tsang
  • Religious icons offset
  • Luck of the Irish achievement not working for all Irish tags. (This won't be able to retroactively fix your save so if you want to go for the achievement with one of the newly added Irish tags, wait for this fix)
  • Cleves being nuts about converting heretics
  • Fixing that the English mission "Strategic Control" was sometimes impossible to complete.
  • Correct claims for Great Britain in decisions/nation formations/missions
  • Neverending AI wars
This is not an exhaustive list, but it's some of the more serious issues which we are looking to sort out in an upcoming 1.25.1 hotfix. Its deployment date is chalked up to be "soon", pending successful fixing, building and testing which all, much as we try to bend the fabric of reality, takes a bit of time. It's my hope that we can have the fix out to you in time for Easter though, so we can celebrate it, as is tradition, by staying indoors and playing games.

Beyond this though, lies our road forward. We shall start working on our next update for Europa Universalis IV. While we are very happy with how our Immersion pack has done, the next planned release is slated to be an expansion and accompanying update of the magnitude of Rights of Man, Mandate of Heaven or Cradle of Civilization. Dev diaries going forward will be talking about some changes and additions in the next release which will be quite some time away. We'll start with talking about one of the bigger changes in 1.26 next week if all goes to plan, so see you then!

Reactions:
I hope the AI with its tendency to massivly go over its naval FL and ignoring its army *and generally its bad economic behaviour) will also be hotfixed. That and the super development bug are imo the most critical issues.

Last edited:
is Japan's consistently going Catholic as soon as 1446 one of the bugs you plan on fixing, or was it just my bad luck?
Wat? How? Please report it in the bug report forum with a save and as much info you can on how it happens.

England? meh, what about glorious Scotland? how is it doing player wise? took me 3 embarrassing restarts but now my Scottish empire is fighting the good fight and thinking of trying to get the Auld Alliance Reversed achievement, since France has broken our alliance at 100 trust due to desiring my subjects provinces. Loving the description for the Darien scheme mission :D

My hopes for future dlc:
Riches of India, a large expansion dlc for India and Southeast Asia, hopefully fixing the inability of the AI with European expansion into India.
Immersion pack for Iberia.
Large expansion for the HRE and France.
Immersion pack for Italy.
Large expansion for Eastern Europe and the Balkans.
Immersion pack for Africa.
Immersion pack for new world natives, Totemist and Animism need unique mechanics.

Let me guess: the next expansion will be for Asia (the previous one was for Europe), so it leaves 3 regions untouched:
  • 1. Siberia and Asian steppes
  • 2. India
  • 3. Indochina and Indonesia

The first option is unlikely because you will also have to change European steppes.
India is in really bad shape now: we have a relatively OP Vijayanagar that has hands own the best NIs in region and fast access to forming Bharat and we have all the rest nation that are either much lower development or just have trash-tier NIs.
Indonesia isn't in a good shape as well: most nations have quite lackluster NIs and the province layout feels outdated compared to fresh Middle and Far East.

So it's India or Indonesia... Personally I'd prefer the latter, but India is way more unbalanced ATM.

They announced a "very big" expansion so I'm not sure about indonesia / india, because there is no real mechanism that could be reworked there (even if I am in favour of adding more content to these regions, and to Sikhism for example). With an "Catholic/HRE/Spain" or a "Spain/Colonialism/NewWorld" rework, that would seems to fit better with the announced scale of the expansion... Even if it would again been an "european" expansion..

They announced a "very big" expansion so I'm not sure about indonesia / india, because there is no real mechanism that could be reworked there (even if I am in favour of adding more content to these regions, and to Sikhism for example). With an "Catholic/HRE/Spain" or a "Spain/Colonialism/NewWorld" rework, that would seems to fit better with the announced scale of the expansion... Even if it would again been an "european" expansion..

I hope you are right: i'd rather like to see an update for Iberia + Maghreb + Italy :), Germany (HRE) or Italy + Balkans. But the most bad-shaped super-region region in Europe is Steppes (from Criemea to Ural)

Any chance you might add more abilities to Anglicanism? Having switched to a Revolutionary Republic as Great Britain I currently only have the options of gain money or gain stability (no consorts for republics and I’ve maxed Mercantilism), not to say it feels weaker than Protestantism with no chance of any military bonuses.

Ruler/General/Admiral portraits please and more and customizable AI ruler personalities also please. And historical ruler personalities for historical rulers plox!

Ohhh a "Habsburg and colonialism" expansion, one can only hope!!!

Also would be down for an Indian expansion, especially adding flavor (I think, player wise, it's already a really strong region).
Wouldn't mind the Spain expansion being euro based, it just affects so much of the game if it involves colonizing!

I was waning a bit on EU4 but Rule Britannia has really reignited my passion for it.

The new mission system really gives you some good, clear goals when you starting in a country whose history you're unfamiliar with and you aren't sure where to go. Best addition to the game since not having to siege down every province's fort.