• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 26th of June 2018

Hello! We’ll be talking about two smaller features in this dev diary that is coming with the Dharma Expansion. The first one you have probably noticed if you have followed the dev clash streams, however the second is probably my own small favorite.

First one up is the Settlement Growth which is the one you have probably spotted in the province view. Ever gotten to the point where you don’t have much else to colonize, you have a bunch of colonist agents but nothing to do with them? Now we’re giving you another use for them by having them improve the development of your provinces slowly.

upload_2018-6-26_9-38-48.png

It works a bit like a colony construction, it is affected by the colonial maintenance slider and costs the same as a colony. But it doesn’t have the steady increase in settlers that colonies have but only it’s own variant of the settler chance. The yearly chance is based on the local development modifiers and the current development of the province, capped at a minimum of 5% yearly chance.

So growing the development of one of your provinces might be really cheap for you or end up costing you way more than you bargained for.

Second feature is an addition to an old one that has been long missing. We’ve always found that…. Insults lacked a bit of a punch to them so we went ahead and fixed that.

upload_2018-6-26_9-39-12.png

We’ve added what we call scornful insults. They cost 5 prestige to make, it will make the enemies of the nation like you more, the nation themselves hate you more and give you double the amount of power projection if they were your rival. As you can see scornful insults also come with a bit of a letter attached to it now describing the insult sent… I mean the incredibly well crafted and cultured letter you sent.

upload_2018-6-26_9-39-27.png

We’ve added more than 60 insults and as you can see in the screenshot they are not all generic. There are some clever ones hidden away depending on what nation under what kind of state does the insult against who.

Hope you enjoyed the dev diary and don’t forget to tune in to the Dev clash at 15:00 today! It’s going to be the last before we shut down for the holidays. So it’s your last chance for a while to get a last sneak peak on stuff we haven’t talked about yet or things we’ve missed to mention.

Though of course Jake being a miserable Scot and breaks a Swedish taboo, he will still be doing dev diaries throughout July month.

Last edited:
so if I got this correctly we have a maximum of 5% yearly of developing a province via colonist, right? That means one development every 20 years, for the price of a colony, sounds too underwhelming. I guess it's good if you're swimming in money and have nothing better to do, but you could colonize a few provinces in the same time...
Tell me I got something wrong please, this feature can't be that irrelevant.

5% is minimum

so if I got this correctly we have a maximum of 5% yearly of developing a province via colonist, right? That means one development every 20 years, for the price of a colony, sounds too underwhelming. I guess it's good if you're swimming in money and have nothing better to do, but you could colonize a few provinces in the same time...

Oh yeah nevermind, I read maximum but it says minimum :D

Other way around, minimum chance is 5%.

Posting my thoughts from /r/eu4:

Very interesting feature. It also shows a beautiful opportunity to get rid of province development with mana:

It should be possible to let every province have a yearly development increase chance, similar to the one you get with a colonist (but much lower of course).

I don't know what the modifiers are that they will use for the yearly development increase, but they could be influenced by things like devastation, loot present, institutions present, prosperity etc. It also shouldn't be difficult to find specific modifiers that influence what type of development the province will receive.

Perhaps it could even be extended to decreasing development if a province is sieged / looted / has high devastation.

Short but glorious dev diary today. How much relations will be improved with enemies when you send these though?

a republics scornful insult to a monarchy:

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some arcical aquatic ceremony!

Is there a way to make longer insults like this one in cossacks letter ?
It's just a localisation string, if you want you can make it as long as you ever would want

Short but glorious dev diary today. How much relations will be improved with enemies when you send these though?
It increases it by 25 and it decays over 10 years.