• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 25th of October 2016

Hello everyone and welcome to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. This time we’ll go into the main flavor of the 1.19 patch, which we call Denmark.

Well, why do we call it Denmark? Well.. First of all, we’ve added lots and lots of Dynamic Historical Event to Denmark, bringing them up to par with other european majors. Skåne also starts with the Skånemarket, a large bonus to the fish produced in the province. We have also added a few new provinces in Jylland, while also increasing the development of Denmark as a whole.
eu4_52.png

And as you can see here, the Danes get a nice new unit in 1.19 as well..

eu4_51.png

Norway also got an improvement, getting their map revised to include a fair amount of new provinces, and a wasteland in the center of the mountain range, to make the country more easily defended against the vile swedes. We also gave them a huge chunk of new Dynamic Historical Events, making playing them a fair bit more interesting.
CvhMke2WEAA4Oxh.jpg large.jpg

We also improved the political mapmode, as so many had requested, so we now show the terrain map where there has been no colonisation yet, so you’ll have some more informative eye-candy while playing
eu4_54.png

One other thing to mention today is the fact that we added a fair bit more instructions to the AI for your nation if you crash or are forced to stop playing for a while in a campaign. The following options now exists for your convenience.

• Ignore Decisions -Yes/No
  • Embrace Institutions - Yes/No
  • Develop Provinces - Yes/No
  • Disband Units - Yes/No
  • Change Fleet Missions - Yes/No
  • Send Missionaries - Yes/No
  • Convert Culture - Yes/No
  • Add/Remove Cultures - Yes/No
Stay tuned.. Next week we’ll talk more about forts, peace options and tradegoods, amongst other things.

Reactions:
So splitting Slesvig to make Ribe face west and Slesvig face east would help Denmark a bit more if it succesfully absorbs the Duchy of Slesvig. Also giving Bergen more development would help Norway compete a bit more.

Scandinavia will be very interesting in this upcoming patch.

Is Iceland fine with just 2 provinces?
If Norway needs a boost I'm all in for the Lofoten fish resource.

As a North Frisian, I abhor the fact that Eiderstedt is depicted as part of Dithmarschen on the map.

Danmark til Ejderen!

:p

Alas some liberties must be taken in the name of clickability :) I am sure you can find worse offenders (patch 1.19 will for instance also see Listerlandet anachronistically moved to Skåne).

Reactions:
I see Johan posted the development of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden. Meaning Bergen didn't recieve the development boost it deserves. After all it was a bigger city than Copenhagen and Stockholm, yet it doesn't show in the game at all. Anyway, playing as Norway should be challenging, it's more fun that way.

However, how will the scaling liberty desire play out for Norway players I wonder. :)

Not Danish related, but while the Swedes controlled us, Riga was the largest city in their empire. Way more populous than Stockholm. But they'll never reflect this in development, even though we do love them Swedes here.

I think I'm just not communicating this very well, but the region my province figure is one province higher than yours is that the population data I found for Danish Jutland included Fyn, so I was including that in the province tally as well. You are right in that Danish Jutland itself would be 4.5 provinces, but since the data I had was drawn directly from the Danish regions, and for some reason whoever drew those regions up lumped Fyn with southern Jutland, I included Fyn as well. Does that make more sense? Sorry.
Now I understood you. And that region is a bit stupidly made, but so are a few of the others. It's the natural result of wanting to reduce the 14 top level divisions to 5 top level divisions.
Anyway there are detailed population data publicly available so it wouldn't be hard at all to find the exact population of Danish Jutland (though without access to the databases you'll have to make due with what was the exact count last January 1st, since the exact number is only published once a year). Though I don't know if those data are available in English.

I don't know. Sometimes I feel that northern Europe gets way too much focus and attention in Paradox games. That's probably why I'm just a bit jaded about even more attention being paid to a region in northern Europe when there's still so much work to be done elsewhere. You make really good points about Denmark's balance against Sweden, but I still feel a bit put out that whole countries are still missing from the map while one country is getting a fish market event chain.
I think it's a combination of three things. Firstly Northern Europe ended up being one of the most influential parts of the World. If you want the HRE in you naturally will need to have a bazillion provinces. And thirdly Paradox are Swedish and hence they'll have some kind of tendency (conscious or not) to make Sweden and surrounding parts more detailed. Similarly for why Sweden has loads of events. Many of those are things the devs knew about already from their school years.

Though Albania did get split; and that looks good.

Aye, Ringkøbing, Holstebro and Varde seems like fitting possibilities. I am only affraid that they do the same as in Vic2, and make it Esbjerg. Lemvig is also a possibility.
Esbjerg would be really really really really really really horrible indeed. I can see the reasoning for it in Vicky due to it being a pet project in that time frame, but for the EU4 time or earlier it's anachronistic as hell. It plain and simply did not exist. Esbjerg is the result of the disastrous 1864 war. Before that the area where Esbjerg later was built was farmland with small hamlets. What happened was that with the loss of Slesvig and Holstein the important harbours of Altona and Tønning were lost and a replacement was needed due to the important trade with the UK. Hence Esbjerg Harbour was built to make a replacement for the lost harbours and the city grew around the harbour due to the large trade volumes with Britain. No 1864 and no Esbjerg, since there'd be absolutely no reason for politicians to have the harbour and hence the city founded.

Ribe, from what I can see on the map, should be located in the province of Slesvig, no?
Ribe's in Sønderjylland/Slesvig, yes.

I see Johan posted the development of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden. Meaning Bergen didn't recieve the development boost it deserves. After all it was a bigger city than Copenhagen and Stockholm, yet it doesn't show in the game at all. Anyway, playing as Norway should be challenging, it's more fun that way.

However, how will the scaling liberty desire play out for Norway players I wonder. :)
Norway does get 13 extra dev. How do you know that none of them goes to Bergenhus? (And the Sjælland and Stockholm provinces don't just portray the cities of Copenhagen and Stockholm, so naturally those provinces have way higher development than the cities themselves warrant; no idea how rich the surrounding areas of Bergen were. If only the city itself was rich, but the surrounding areas poor then that'd explain the dfiference.)
And the dev update is really great. Sweden gets 8 to 119; Denmark 22 to 128; and Norway 13 to 84. That means that Denmark, as historically, starts out a bit stronger than Sweden. The loss of Skåne will then make Sweden much stronger than Denmark, as historically. And a Skåneless Denmark together with Norway will approximately equal Sweden as historically. So that seems really great.

Ribe was right on the border with Schleswig, but it wasn't in Schleswig.

Map_SLH-1650dansk.png
That's bollocks and you know it. That map shows the duchy---i.e. the administrative split. Not the cultural, influential, or geographical split.
Or do you also claim that the enclaves, i.e. among other areas the area west of Tønder, was not part of Slesvig/Sønderjylland...?

From what I can see on that map (and from what I know), Ribe was geographically, but not administratively, a part of Slesvig. Also, if you look at the screenshot from the new map, it does look like the border between Vestjylland and Slesvig goes north of Ribe.
It's an administrative map yes; that legend states so too. Geographically Ribe is firmly in Sønderjylland. And much of its trade and influence was with other areas of Slesvig and not with Vestjylland. Putting it as the capital of Vestjylland would be completely ridiculous. (Yes I'm aware that the diocese covered Vestjylland, but it also covered a large chunk of Slesvig, so we can't use that for anything.)
And the province border indeed appears to go north of Ribe too---as it should.

So splitting Slesvig to make Ribe face west and Slesvig face east would help Denmark a bit more if it succesfully absorbs the Duchy of Slesvig. Also giving Bergen more development would help Norway compete a bit more.
On what grounds do you think splitting Slesvig east west would make sense? And how would you go about the marshes of the eastern half which especially in the southern parts are pretty impassable for an army? There's a reason that Dannevirke (the wall/dyke built across Jutland to guard Denmark) stops at the marshes.

In my opinion there's only one way you can split Slesvig---and it's not pretty. It's to include the tag of Slesvig--Holstein--Gottorp. But I'm interested in hearing your argument for why an east west split is reasonable.

the population distribution of the world would look really goofy by 1820.
Not necessarily. Add in realistic diseases and epidemics, food supply/starvation, people dying in droves from was (something like a third of HRE's population died in the 30 years war for instance), and all the other things culling people historically and you'd get plausible population distributions. You'll also need some mechanic for how areas like India had population rise with development instead of improving living conditions for the majority of people.

Though it most certainly would slow down the game significantly, which is the main reason that it shouldn't be in game.

Alas some liberties must be taken in the name of clickability :) I am sure you can find worse offenders (patch 1.19 will for instance also see Listerlandet anachronistically moved to Skåne).
Clickability is indeed important. Though you did a good job at the southern border of Slesvig. Despite it being too far to the north and being noticed immediately by Danes and probably Germans too, it does have the correct shape. Which does give immersion. Sure it's a bit too far to the north and Ejdersted, Rendsborg, and Svans aren't included in it, but it border wise looks historical, which is important.

Also Listerlandet was part of Skåne until Christian IV had it transferred to Blekinge in the early 1600s. So it being part of Gønge in 1444 is actually historical and not anachronistic at all. Another example of land transfer during the time period is Hven which until around 1650 was part of Sjælland, but then was moved to Skåne and thereby lost when Skåneland was lost a few years later. Så it actually should be part of Sjælland and not Lund/Malmøhus---if it's included on the map that is, which I severely doubt.

Also could you please tell me what the current name for that new wasteland close to Oslo is called? From screenshots it appears that it's name was changed from Jotunheimen to Langfjella. That seems good, since afaik Jotunheimen wasn't given to it until after the game period. But I have no idea whether Langfjella was what was used historically. And it does look suspiciously Swedish---and given how many other sea zones/wastelands/provinces have Swedish (base)names (e.g. Øresund which anachronistically is called Öresun in game...) it's quite likely it's Swedish and not what the local dialects called it.
@Carmilla, @JohnKjeken, @Nikolai as the first three Norwegians I could think of is Langfjella then the historically correct name for Jotunheimen or is it actually Swedish like I suspect?

CwGQQV7WEAAfgfO.jpg

There is no historical name that we've been able to find for the entire region, but it's certainly not Swedish. :)

It's been requested by Norwegian posters and it also seems it's used in some English and French historical literature but more out of practicality than as a period name I think.

Edit:
Also it doesn't look Swedish at all to my eye, we rarely use a at the end of geographical names, that's afaik a Norwegian thing. ;)

Many hours go into researching these things. Please give us the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I don't mean splitting Slesvig east and west I meant splitting it in half horizontally with the north beinf Ribe which faces west and the south being Slesvig which faces east towards the Baltic.

Lemvig is also a possibility.
Completely forgot to ask. Why Lemvig? Was it really that important in this period with the sanding shut of Agger Tange and all.

There is no historical name that we've been able to find for the entire region, but it's certainly not Swedish. :)

It's been requested by Norwegian posters and it also seems it's used in some English and French historical literature but more out of practicality than as a period name I think.

Edit:
Also it doesn't look Swedish at all to my eye, we rarely use a at the end of geographical names, that's afaik a Norwegian thing. ;)

Many hours go into researching these things. Please give us the benefit of the doubt.
Oh I know that you do loads of research. And you always find good names. So this was in no way an attack. What I meant is that sometimes you have a tendency in Scandinavia to just use the Swedish names you are familiar with. E.g. how the Faroese used the Swedish name until recently. Or how Jemtland uses the Swedish name. Or how Idre for a long time was part of Sweden leading to ugly borders. Now province names obviously can be fixed through dynamic naming. But the wasteland/sea zone names still are Swedish. As mentioned Øresund is another one. It doesn't really make sense to have it called Öresund in game.

Though as mentioned I don't really have much knowledge about that area hence why I asked some Norwegians. And yes, it was the a ending which made it sound Swedish, since other fjeld in Norway are called fjell. Though I don't really have much familiarity with Nynorsk so perhaps it uses fjella. Or the local dialects did. Don't know. (And pretty sure the using a at the ends of names isn't a Bokmål thing.:))

As an aside then I ended up wondering on whether Moth perhaps mentioned Langfjella. In case you don't know then Mathtias Moth (read the Danish article if interested; the Swedish is a stump) was one of the top advisors of Christian V and interested in knowledge. So he decided to make a dictionary of all Danish including dialects and no word was too obscene or obscure to be included. He ended up also making it an encyclopedia now he was at it (i.e. a dictionary encyclopedia) and it also contains Norwegian, Faroese, and Icelandic words. He had people report to him from all over Denmark Norway with words used there.

Anyway his work, which is 60 tomes, has been digitised and is available for free online. It can be a really great tool in finding now obscure geographical references. Or try and find etymologies. Though due to the vastly different spellings from today it can sometimes be hard to find what you look for.
Anyway I couldn't find him mentioning Langfjella (though that could just be me not finding the correct spelling), but I did find this under "Norske fielde". It would seem that what he talks about is Langfjella. Though no idea how far north his Norske Fielde went (appears it went all the way to Kola from the mentioning of Muscowian Lapland though) or how far north Langfjella goes in game. Plus if you use the local dialect names for it (which I think you should) then Norske Fielde seems wrong. Though again I don't know. For Bokmål (or rather the Danish used by the administration and later evolved into Bokmål) Norske Fielde would seem appropriate though, given that it's the bureaucracy in Norway which sent Moth that name/description so it would have been called that around 1700.

Moth said:
Norske fielde de Gall. les Montagnes de Norvegve. Er hoie Klipper i Norge, som strekker sig fra Kattegattet til Hvide haf. Har Norge til vester, Norske- og Muskoviske lapland til Nør, Svenskelapland til synder // og Sverrig til øster. Har over 400 mile i lengden, og skyder grene ud i alle foromtalte lande; Er altid fulde af snê, dog vokser mengde af fyr og gran pâ. de fornemste deraf er Dofre- og File field, hînt skal mand over til Trundhiem, og dette til Bergen; og disse to gør delingen imellem syndre og Nordre Norge, som kaldes synden- og Nordenfields. Sevo Mons.

http://mothsordbog.dk/ordbog?query=norske fielde

The digitisation of the relevant tome pages:

Conv_N_058.jpg

Conv_N_059.jpg

I don't mean splitting Slesvig east and west I meant splitting it in half horizontally with the north beinf Ribe which faces west and the south being Slesvig which faces east towards the Baltic.
That split is even worse. Please give me arguments for why that'd be a good split. And please don't say that it follows the current border, since that'd be utterly anachronistic and the current border is the result of events which was far in the future in 1444, hadn't happened yet in 1821, and in fact almost all of the seeds for it were only being laid around 1821.

So you are saying you think that Denmark should have more provinces in 1444? Because historically we didn't gain anything to integrate Norway. And we didn't have to wait decades or have it at a considerable cost either.

Yes, no, maybe... Orkneyjar and Hjaltland were pawned as a dowry for James III. They're in Norweignan hands so that might be the trick.

You can't compare the coast of Russia to the coast of Denmark Norway due to climate differences. Also Russia has always been land focused, whereas we and the Norwegians always have been extremely naval focused. There literally was harbours/landing sites all over the coast. In fact in an attempt to boost the larger ones the king made a law trying to reduce the use of the smaller landing sites. Again I'm not saying that Denmark should be stronger than the UK; I'm saying that you can't go against our number of ports equaling or being larger than the UK due to us having a much longer coastilne. And always having had to extensively use the sea. So that wouldn't be unhistorical. And your argument about a player being able to focus on naval, but the AI being poorer is what I'd call 7 year old logic. Why should the game be shifted just because the AI is lacking in the naval area (and many other areas) instead of trying to improve the AI all the time? There are many ways you can get ahead of the AI, so saying that a player will be able to beat the AI if this happens, isn't really a good argument.

Also not completely sure on what you meant by what I quoted. I assumed that you are missing an "as" before important

I did forget an "as". Sorry about that.

In the north, the Hanseatic towns faced intensified competition from the Dutch, who from about 1580 introduced a new ship design (the fluitschip,a sturdy, cheaply built cargo vessel) and new techniques of shipbuilding, including wind-powered saws. Freight charges dropped and the size of the Dutch merchant marine soared; by the mid-17th century, it probably exceeded in number of vessels all the other mercantile fleets of Europe combined.
--https://www.britannica.com/topic/history-of-Europe/The-emergence-of-modern-Europe-1500-1648

That is a lot of ships. My biggest problem is that the Dutch have to expand into non-colonies areas so they can build more shipyards (same with the Portuguese) to compete. Where as the UK, Spain, France, and DN can build them at home. I'm not Dutch, though I'm ethnically north German/Volga, I just like seeing nations that punch above themselves be the scourge of trade.

Yes, no, maybe... Orkneyjar and Hjaltland were pawned as a dowry for James III. They're in Norweignan hands so that might be the trick.
As if those two island groups made any difference in whether integrating Norway was difficult or not. Plus the dowry agreement actually stated they could be got back for a specified amount of gold.

That is a lot of ships. My biggest problem is that the Dutch have to expand into non-colonies areas so they can build more shipyards (same with the Portuguese) to compete. Where as the UK, Spain, France, and DN can build them at home. I'm not Dutch, though I'm ethnically north German/Volga, I just like seeing nations that punch above themselves be the scourge of trade.
I never said that the Dutch shouldn't be important. And who knows, perhaps the Dutch get some modifiers giving force limit. But you do have the problem that the Dutch coastline is short meaning that there's a natural limit of home many port provinces the Dutch can have without them becoming unclickable. Other countries should not be barred from becoming more realistic just because the Dutch has a game reason limiting their amount of ports. (Though I think the Dutch could get a couple more provinces without them being unclickable, but that'd probably be it.)
Also the Dutch got an end node from game release. No doubt due to their important merchant navy---though now that the London node has been merged with Antwerp and the North French Coast has been added to it too you probably could argue it was due to Britain too. But it was placed there originally almost certainly due to the Dutch.

No changes for Sweden? I was hoping atleast they get some DHE too.
Also I wish you could make a unique government for the leader of the Kalmar Union, and make it possible for both Norway and Sweden to lead the Union, maybe some sort of reworked elective monarchy?

They were never able to get hold of the Kalmar Union in any way. Neither had they any claim to it. Aside from that, Denmark never had Elective monarchy like you suggest here, and Denmark were the leaders of said union. It would be ahistorical and outright wrong.

Peasant Republic:

No Nobility estates (obviously!)
Bonus production to grain and fish provinces
-1 diplomatic rep to all Monarchies; -25 relations with Noble Republics
Special event chains to spawn friendly peasant revolts in nearby nations (that might join up with you like the low countries do with the Netherlands). Gives a CB to nations who want to crack down on this sort of thing happening.
Event option: A nobility in all but name (the egalitarian ideas of the revolution begin to wane as the nu-aristocracy emerges from the families of the peasant leaders). Rebalances some of the more extreme benefits/maluses of the republic.
Event option: The rise of the merchants (the removal of the aristocracy creates an opportunity for traders to rise into positions of power). Becomes Merchant Republic (new idea set - probably Lubeck's)

National starting ideas:
Satisfied peasants: -2 Unrest
Can create unrest in neighbouring nations (a unique idea like Raiding is for North Africans): -50% required Spy Network to spawn rebels; +50% size of rebel stack

Ideas for ideas:
The power of the mob means more of the common men are willing and able to fight: +50% manpower
Now the poor can own horses: -20% cavalry cost
We are all brothers and sisters in arms: Tolerance of Heretics +2
Ploughs into profits (removal of the aristocratic overlords incentivises the peasantry to work harder for themselves): Production Efficiency +15%
Egalitarianism: Possible advisers +1
We fight for our families: +10% Infantry Combat Ability

Bonus idea:
A new world beckons (no longer constrained by feudalistic attitudes, the common people are now even more willing to create a better life for themselves and their families): +15% Settler Growth

Government form penalty: +10% tech research cost, -10% trade income and minimum authority 20%.
Why? Because peasants are a uneducated rabble that doesn't know anything about ruling a nation. They suppress the traders - less trade income. They supress the nobility - higher tech cost. They are "free" peasants, and wants to remain so - the min authority.

Denmark never had Elective monarchy like you suggest here
The Danish monarchy was officially elective until the mid-17th century, though like the Habsburg period in the HRE and the early Capetians in France, it would have been remarkable for anyone but the "expected" heir to be elected.

The in-game Elective Monarchy government (intended to represent Poland following the extinction of the Jagiellon line, but for some reason projected backwards all the way to the confirmation of Casimir IV) would be completely unsuitable for representing this, of course, and thus the conventional hereditary model works acceptably.

Reactions:
Government form penalty: +10% tech research cost, -10% trade income and minimum authority 20%.
Why? Because peasants are a uneducated rabble that doesn't know anything about ruling a nation. They suppress the traders - less trade income. They supress the nobility - higher tech cost. They are "free" peasants, and wants to remain so - the min authority.

They should also have cheaper infantry recruitment and more expense cavalry recruitment.

They were never able to get hold of the Kalmar Union in any way. Neither had they any claim to it. Aside from that, Denmark never had Elective monarchy like you suggest here, and Denmark were the leaders of said union. It would be ahistorical and outright wrong.
As Grommile said we were elective until 1660, when we went absolutist. And we had been elective at least since the 1280s (think that was where it started; that was at least when the first hånsfæstning was made). The way it worked was that the new king had to be confirmed on the ting, which were local congregations, where all free men could come and raise issues. The ting system dates back to the viking age and a ting could decide on many things including whether to exile a man or to have him beheaded. Similarly in some of our oldest laws it's stated that if a man finds another man in bed with his wife he can kill him, but then he needs to bring the bloody bedsheets to the ting to prove that the other men indeed was sleeping with his wife.

Anyway there were local ting (there could be one just covering a village) and more regional ones covering a shire. Above them were the country ting which covered an entire part of the country. E.g. the one in Skåne which covered the entirety of Skåne. The ones in Nørrejylland, Sjælland, and Skåne were the most important ones, and even among those three the one in Skåne was more important. If you wanted to become king it was adamant to have the full support in Skåne. The ting also were the ones deciding on things like whether to go to war.
As mentioned the new king should be approved by the ting and after the 1280s (1282 IIRC) he was forced to sign a håndfæstning. It was essentially a constitution for his rule stating what he could do and what he couldn't. Had the old king disregarded his håndfæstning the next king likely would get a harsher one.
But as grommile said it almost always was the king's son or brother who became the new king so in game it's best represented by the hereditary system unless you want to emulate the CKII elective where you can choose your successor and then have him elected, but you'd need something keeping the choice in the family, since as mentioned it almost always went to a close relative of the last king and every time the dynasty changed (which only happened around three times) was because the main line died out and a cadet branch took over. The current queen is a descendant of Gorm the old, who ruled in the early 900s, and since then his descendants have ruled Denmark. (With the possible exception of a couple years around 1100, since IIRC a Norwegian king took over for something like 3 years around then.)

If you do something in game you could have a system for the håndfæstning which gives you restrictions---possible also with needing the approval from the ting to do things like go to war, unless you want to draw their ire and get an even harsher håndfæstning for the next king. On the other hand that might not be too fun to play.

What bunch of manure is that? Just because they were peasants doesn't mean they were uneducated or didn't trade. They most certainly did trade with e.g. the Baltic cities. And they had a partnership with Lybæk---i.e. one of the two main hanse cities. And they didn't fall behind techwise and I don't see the argument for why they shouldn't be educated, since it was free peasants. There was nothing keeping them down so no reason for them to not be knowledgeable. And at least their council of 48 was knowledgeable IIRC. And don't forget that they mastered the art of trapping an army in the lowlands, opening the dike sluises, and then use the flooding lowlands as a weapon while they themselves jumped from small hill to small hill fighting the knights.

The autonomy probably is fine though.

I was wondering if Sweden gets anything? And also, when will this patch come out?