• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 25th of October 2016

Hello everyone and welcome to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. This time we’ll go into the main flavor of the 1.19 patch, which we call Denmark.

Well, why do we call it Denmark? Well.. First of all, we’ve added lots and lots of Dynamic Historical Event to Denmark, bringing them up to par with other european majors. Skåne also starts with the Skånemarket, a large bonus to the fish produced in the province. We have also added a few new provinces in Jylland, while also increasing the development of Denmark as a whole.
eu4_52.png

And as you can see here, the Danes get a nice new unit in 1.19 as well..

eu4_51.png

Norway also got an improvement, getting their map revised to include a fair amount of new provinces, and a wasteland in the center of the mountain range, to make the country more easily defended against the vile swedes. We also gave them a huge chunk of new Dynamic Historical Events, making playing them a fair bit more interesting.
CvhMke2WEAA4Oxh.jpg large.jpg

We also improved the political mapmode, as so many had requested, so we now show the terrain map where there has been no colonisation yet, so you’ll have some more informative eye-candy while playing
eu4_54.png

One other thing to mention today is the fact that we added a fair bit more instructions to the AI for your nation if you crash or are forced to stop playing for a while in a campaign. The following options now exists for your convenience.

• Ignore Decisions -Yes/No
  • Embrace Institutions - Yes/No
  • Develop Provinces - Yes/No
  • Disband Units - Yes/No
  • Change Fleet Missions - Yes/No
  • Send Missionaries - Yes/No
  • Convert Culture - Yes/No
  • Add/Remove Cultures - Yes/No
Stay tuned.. Next week we’ll talk more about forts, peace options and tradegoods, amongst other things.

Reactions:
I think the ideal would be adding a system to lay claim to wastelands. Keeps the map from having the ugly grey spots within countries like Russia and now Norway, while also keeping the functionality and general usefulness of the wastelands.
...isn't that already in the game?

Reactions:
We also improved the political mapmode, as so many had requested, so we now show the terrain map where there has been no colonisation yet, so you’ll have some more informative eye-candy while playing

Not a Fan of the new map mode - the "regular" terrain map is the only map mode i never ever use b.c. i can't see/identify anything important while looking at it (terrain/winter to some degree but not good enough to warrant its use compared to other map modes. And tbh i dont like the hybrid one, its definitelly harder to see province borders then before.
So, is it possible to revamp to the old Style map mode via mod?

Reactions:
Any chance you're going to add a way to increase a province's Development with the nation creator when we make a new nation? The formulas for costs already seem to be there, since different levels of development cost differing amounts. But this seems a good way to make it so not all new nations are a bunch of provinces all over the place with terrible development.

Reactions:
Oh god please tell me this is toggleable. I'm very nostalgic about grey uncolonized provinces

Reactions:
So 1.19 will have map changes? This is unprecedented - before now, the patches with map updates were all multiples of 4 (or 0.04 if you prefer).

Still hoping for Japan, still seeing Paradox focusing on Europe... if this continues next week I might write a senryu in the dev diary thread...

Reactions:
Now that your doing a Denmark themed patch I think it be prime time to right a wrong that has existed within the game for far to long. The culture of Iceland! It is well know that Icelanders are not Norwegian, and at the time period they spoke a different(ish) language, had different customs and well a different culture. I believe Icelandic has a right to be its own culture just like other smaller cultures like Albanian and Sami.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Welp...

so much for save compatibility.

Reactions:
This will make conquering Denmark so much more fun!

Reactions:
Now that your doing a Denmark themed patch I think it be prime time to right a wrong that has existed within the game for far to long. The culture of Iceland! It is well know that Icelanders are not Norwegian, and at the time period they spoke a different(ish) language, had different customs and well a different culture. I believe Icelandic has a right to be its own culture just like other smaller cultures like Albanian and Sami.

They are Danish/Norwegian.

Reactions:
Reactions:
So 1.19 will have map changes? This is unprecedented - before now, the patches with map updates were all multiples of 4 (or 0.04 if you prefer).

Still hoping for Japan, still seeing Paradox focusing on Europe... if this continues next week I might write a senryu in the dev diary thread...

I'd love some Japan/Korea/China flavor as well. A lot of it, actually.

Oh god please tell me this is toggleable. I'm very nostalgic about grey uncolonized provinces

In the first screenshot you can see Jotunheim coloured, so it's most likely optional.

Reactions:
I'd love some Japan/Korea/China flavor as well. A lot of it, actually.
1.20 China patch with accompanying DLC I hope.

Reactions:

Patience, grasshopper.

Reactions: