• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 25th of October 2016

Hello everyone and welcome to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. This time we’ll go into the main flavor of the 1.19 patch, which we call Denmark.

Well, why do we call it Denmark? Well.. First of all, we’ve added lots and lots of Dynamic Historical Event to Denmark, bringing them up to par with other european majors. Skåne also starts with the Skånemarket, a large bonus to the fish produced in the province. We have also added a few new provinces in Jylland, while also increasing the development of Denmark as a whole.
eu4_52.png

And as you can see here, the Danes get a nice new unit in 1.19 as well..

eu4_51.png

Norway also got an improvement, getting their map revised to include a fair amount of new provinces, and a wasteland in the center of the mountain range, to make the country more easily defended against the vile swedes. We also gave them a huge chunk of new Dynamic Historical Events, making playing them a fair bit more interesting.
CvhMke2WEAA4Oxh.jpg large.jpg

We also improved the political mapmode, as so many had requested, so we now show the terrain map where there has been no colonisation yet, so you’ll have some more informative eye-candy while playing
eu4_54.png

One other thing to mention today is the fact that we added a fair bit more instructions to the AI for your nation if you crash or are forced to stop playing for a while in a campaign. The following options now exists for your convenience.

• Ignore Decisions -Yes/No
  • Embrace Institutions - Yes/No
  • Develop Provinces - Yes/No
  • Disband Units - Yes/No
  • Change Fleet Missions - Yes/No
  • Send Missionaries - Yes/No
  • Convert Culture - Yes/No
  • Add/Remove Cultures - Yes/No
Stay tuned.. Next week we’ll talk more about forts, peace options and tradegoods, amongst other things.

Reactions:
Although I'm not a big fan of the new political map mode, I'll probably get used to it. However, I really don't like the wasteland not being colorized, could you please add an option to enable this? Cheers for this patch though.
T here is allready a option in the game for it just check the options. You can toggel colorized wastland on and off.

Reactions:
I actually dislike the wasteland being colourised. It makes the nation look larger than it actually is when the wasteland is huge (Africa and Arabia) and I sometimes don't realize I'm looking at wasteland in enemy nations when plotting a route into them during wars.

The new mode looks very nice to me in screenshots, will know how it works practically in some time.

Reactions:
Please give Denmark a military quality related idea so that they don't get completey obliterated by either Russia, Brandenburg, or Sweden later on. The initial post calls Denmark a 'major', but the country lacks a strong enough army to defend its peninsula and Swedish lands from invasion after national ideas begin to kick in. These changes are excellent, but some investigation needs to be done into Denmark's core ideas. They should not be on par with the countries listed, but they could use SOME quality to not just be a speedbump as the game goes on. Playing them feels a little bad, as you don't get any quality in your ideas nor quantity nor enough money directly to make up for this.

Denmark's events are fun, but their ideas are really lacking in usefulness and are just a tad too naval focused. Legitimacy and light ship combat are two in particular I would pinpoint as feeling unwelcome.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Woot did i hear tradegoods? I'm looking forward to that, during the last year i felt the game had too many provinces compared of the number of tradegoods. I know it's a PITA to add new ones but at this point it might be more important than adding new mechanics, so yay!

Reactions:
Sweden already has an enormous anount of DHE.

Will you add flavor events for Muscovy, Finland (or controller of that region), Pomerania and Livonian lands in this patch? It could be interesting to see event-chain for Livonian War, for example.

Reactions:
Woot did i hear tradegoods? I'm looking forward to that, during the last year i felt the game had too many provinces compared of the number of tradegoods. I know it's a PITA to add new ones but at this point it might be more important than adding new mechanics, so yay!
Y'know, I overlooked that part, that's pretty exciting!

Peasant Republic:

No Nobility estates (obviously!)
Bonus production to grain and fish provinces
-1 diplomatic rep to all Monarchies; -25 relations with Noble Republics
Special event chains to spawn friendly peasant revolts in nearby nations (that might join up with you like the low countries do with the Netherlands). Gives a CB to nations who want to crack down on this sort of thing happening.
Event option: A nobility in all but name (the egalitarian ideas of the revolution begin to wane as the nu-aristocracy emerges from the families of the peasant leaders). Rebalances some of the more extreme benefits/maluses of the republic.
Event option: The rise of the merchants (the removal of the aristocracy creates an opportunity for traders to rise into positions of power). Becomes Merchant Republic (new idea set - probably Lubeck's)

National starting ideas:
Satisfied peasants: -2 Unrest
Can create unrest in neighbouring nations (a unique idea like Raiding is for North Africans): -50% required Spy Network to spawn rebels; +50% size of rebel stack

Ideas for ideas:
The power of the mob means more of the common men are willing and able to fight: +50% manpower
Now the poor can own horses: -20% cavalry cost
We are all brothers and sisters in arms: Tolerance of Heretics +2
Ploughs into profits (removal of the aristocratic overlords incentivises the peasantry to work harder for themselves): Production Efficiency +15%
Egalitarianism: Possible advisers +1
We fight for our families: +10% Infantry Combat Ability

Bonus idea:
A new world beckons (no longer constrained by feudalistic attitudes, the common people are now even more willing to create a better life for themselves and their families): +15% Settler Growth

Reactions:
Nice! New flavour events are always welcome. I hope there will be more in 1.19, especially for nations that doesn't have special events o_O

@Trin Tragula any input on why the Norwegian province is spelled "Oplandene" with one P? This is the Danish spelling, and Danish wasn't the de facto language of Norway at the time. The other provinces are named according to a mixture of period-correct Norwegian and Norwegian from the time of the national awakening in the 1800s, so I don't get why this one is Danish. If anything, it should be Opplandene (modern standard Eastern Norwegian, plural), Oppland (modern standard Eastern Norwegian name for the place), Upplond (Old West Norse), or Opplanda (dialectal form by which it was definitely called in most of the game's time period) for Norwegian-culture tags, and Oplandene for Danish-culture tags. The Faroes got de-Swedified a few patches ago, so don't Danify our inland, please!

Reactions:
@Trin Tragula any input on why the Norwegian province is spelled "Oplandene" with one P? This is the Danish spelling, and Danish wasn't the de facto language of Norway at the time. The other provinces are named according to a mixture of period-correct Norwegian and Norwegian from the time of the national awakening in the 1800s, so I don't get why this one is Danish. If anything, it should be Opplandene (modern standard Eastern Norwegian, plural), Oppland (modern standard Eastern Norwegian name for the place), Upplond (Old West Norse), or Opplanda (dialectal form by which it was definitely called in most of the game's time period) for Norwegian-culture tags, and Oplandene for Danish-culture tags. The Faroes got de-Swedified a few patches ago, so don't Danify our inland, please!

Point taken ^^

I got it from a Norwegian source for what it matters but it was of course talking about the Danish amt so... yeah. ;)

Jotunheimen was fixed since the screenshot was taken too btw.

Reactions:
I completely adore the new political-terrain map mode combination, looks really nice! Although I do agree there should be an option to disable it.

Reactions:
Please make this map mode seperate from the current or an option to retain the original. I much prefer the old one as it gives me more information at a glance.

Also, new unit pack! Yay!

Reactions:
Is it 2 or 3 new provinces in Jylland? I.e. is Nordjylland and the North Jutlandic Island (which wasn't an island, but a peninsula in this period) one or two provinces?

Also @Trin Tragula could you change the name of Kolding to Koldinghus?
I agree that choosing Kolding for the naming of that province is sound and I would have done the same, but Danish counties were named after the main fortress/castle and not the main city. I.e. Koldinghus (the castle in Kolding) was the name used historically; not Kolding. In fact there has never been a Kolding Amt, since when, in 1793, the counties were modernised and the names started to be after cities, Kolding stopped giving name to the county and instead Vejle was the name giver.

Though throughout almost the entire game period much of the Kolding province belonged to first Koldinghus Len (Len = Län) and after the counties were made in 1662 it belonged to Koldinghus Amt until that 1793 reform.
So please call it Koldinghus. Calling it Kolding is completely anachronistic and looks really weird.

https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koldinghus_Amt

Dithmarschen lives! When Denmark is the Roman Empire, Dithmarschen is a certain gallic village. :D
We did manage to take it eventually though; after having lost several armies to those dastardly peasants. How dare they deliberately open the dykes and drown our armies...

With a +50% bonus to naval limit, they should have a HUGE navy once they annex Norway.
Which is historical though. Throughout this period the Danish Norwegian navy was one of the largest and most powerful ones.

That's quite intriguing. Peasant estate or a new option for peasant rebels to secede?
To be fair Ditmarsken never really seceded, since it never really was taken by anybody. It always was a really autonomous place; and that's no surprise when you remember that that area is primarily marshes and bogs.

No changes for Sweden?

No new Swedish provinces? Where is Ångermanland!?
Sweden got three provinces a few patches ago; you can't get new provinces all the time.

Should we expect some changes to the Sound Toll?

It really feels too weak right now, considering how important it was to Denmark.
Especially considering that it allowed the Danish king to be among the richest in Europe. After all it made up 66% of the Danish income in the 16th and 17th centuries---something which isn't possible in game at all.

Reactions: