• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 25th of October 2016

Hello everyone and welcome to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. This time we’ll go into the main flavor of the 1.19 patch, which we call Denmark.

Well, why do we call it Denmark? Well.. First of all, we’ve added lots and lots of Dynamic Historical Event to Denmark, bringing them up to par with other european majors. Skåne also starts with the Skånemarket, a large bonus to the fish produced in the province. We have also added a few new provinces in Jylland, while also increasing the development of Denmark as a whole.
eu4_52.png

And as you can see here, the Danes get a nice new unit in 1.19 as well..

eu4_51.png

Norway also got an improvement, getting their map revised to include a fair amount of new provinces, and a wasteland in the center of the mountain range, to make the country more easily defended against the vile swedes. We also gave them a huge chunk of new Dynamic Historical Events, making playing them a fair bit more interesting.
CvhMke2WEAA4Oxh.jpg large.jpg

We also improved the political mapmode, as so many had requested, so we now show the terrain map where there has been no colonisation yet, so you’ll have some more informative eye-candy while playing
eu4_54.png

One other thing to mention today is the fact that we added a fair bit more instructions to the AI for your nation if you crash or are forced to stop playing for a while in a campaign. The following options now exists for your convenience.

• Ignore Decisions -Yes/No
  • Embrace Institutions - Yes/No
  • Develop Provinces - Yes/No
  • Disband Units - Yes/No
  • Change Fleet Missions - Yes/No
  • Send Missionaries - Yes/No
  • Convert Culture - Yes/No
  • Add/Remove Cultures - Yes/No
Stay tuned.. Next week we’ll talk more about forts, peace options and tradegoods, amongst other things.

Reactions:
Next week trade goods? Finally my prayer has been answered. Really hope for more trade goods and especially manufactured ones.
I was kinda hoping for more trade goods too, and manufactured goods rather than raw materials.

Would be interesting if they had a unique system for slavery as well, especially considering the Triangle Trade.

Reactions:
No changes for Sweden? I was hoping atleast they get some DHE too.
Also I wish you could make a unique government for the leader of the Kalmar Union, and make it possible for both Norway and Sweden to lead the Union, maybe some sort of reworked elective monarchy?

Reactions:
I know this has been asked before, but will we able to disable the terrain in the political mapmode? I would find it weird to have patch of non-Norwegian colored land in the middle of my empire, and it doesn't always seem to look good in other places. Perhaps split it on two seperate mapmodes?

Last edited:
Reactions:
No changes for Sweden? I was hoping atleast they get some DHE too.
Also I wish you could make a unique government for the leader of the Kalmar Union, and make it possible for both Norway and Sweden to lead the Union, maybe some sort of reworked elective monarchy?

Sweden already has an enormous anount of DHE.

Reactions:
Is it possible to disable terraine map in political mapmode?
I prefer viewing the simple map with non-colonising land and wasterlands, espessially when i playing in MP. Its really disgusted to see excess information in wars...

Last edited:
Reactions:
Denmark got more realistic; and it appears that my arguments here were listened too. *Woop*
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...king-denmark-more-viable-a-suggestion.913122/

Have to run now, so haven't really been able to read the DD. Has the Danish iron production been included? Since that is possible to simulate now that there are more provinces in Jutland.
And what are the trade goods of the new provinces?

Reactions:
Any chance of more wasteland (blocking terrain) in other areas, such as The Alps, Pyrenesse, Caucus etc?
I'd like one blocking Agger tange too. Will explain more later, since as menitoned I have to run. BUt essentially it's a very small land bridge connecting Vestjylland to the North Jutlandic Island. Which between ~1200 and ~1824 was a land bridge. Was breached before ~1200 and after ~1824. It's utterly unrealistic to be able to march an army across it.

Reactions:
Just in case will i be able to turn off the new political mapmode? I am concerned about my framerate. @Johan could you please add an option for that?

Reactions:
While the new political mapmode is…interesting, I find the juxtaposition of realistic-looking terrain with large blocks of solid saturated color a bit jarring. It's weird because I like it in the Norway screenshot (that looks cool), but not the North America one, so…I'm conflicted. :confused:

I'll reserve final judgement for after actually playing with it, but could I ask—if it's not too much work—that there be an option to leave the political mapmode the way it is now? Thanks.

Also, province changes are always cool. :D

Agreed, I would like this to be an option we could toggle on or off.

@Johan: Another minor thing for me: Is it possible to switch the effect of taking loans and debasing currency? It just feels more immersive to me when debasing increases your inflation (as it does irl) whereas loans increase corruption due to favour trading, scamming, etc. Maybe these two options in general should receive more love to make them more feel like different options for an empire instead of just "choose the one disadvantage you get for money" - thinking of special events here.

I was kinda hoping for more trade goods too, and manufactured goods rather than raw materials.

Would be interesting if they had a unique system for slavery as well, especially considering the Triangle Trade.

Sadly, I think this is a topic too hot to handle for a lot of people. But yeah, it would make sense given the time period. One just needs to approach it with the proper mindset.

Reactions:
Although I'm not a big fan of the new political map mode, I'll probably get used to it. However, I really don't like the wasteland not being colorized, could you please add an option to enable this? Cheers for this patch though.

Reactions:
When is the expected release date of 1.19? I know it was mentioned earlier, but I can't find it quickly.
I would love to have an option on the political map mode, as it might affect the speed of the game.

Reactions: