• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 25th of October 2016

Hello everyone and welcome to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. This time we’ll go into the main flavor of the 1.19 patch, which we call Denmark.

Well, why do we call it Denmark? Well.. First of all, we’ve added lots and lots of Dynamic Historical Event to Denmark, bringing them up to par with other european majors. Skåne also starts with the Skånemarket, a large bonus to the fish produced in the province. We have also added a few new provinces in Jylland, while also increasing the development of Denmark as a whole.
eu4_52.png

And as you can see here, the Danes get a nice new unit in 1.19 as well..

eu4_51.png

Norway also got an improvement, getting their map revised to include a fair amount of new provinces, and a wasteland in the center of the mountain range, to make the country more easily defended against the vile swedes. We also gave them a huge chunk of new Dynamic Historical Events, making playing them a fair bit more interesting.
CvhMke2WEAA4Oxh.jpg large.jpg

We also improved the political mapmode, as so many had requested, so we now show the terrain map where there has been no colonisation yet, so you’ll have some more informative eye-candy while playing
eu4_54.png

One other thing to mention today is the fact that we added a fair bit more instructions to the AI for your nation if you crash or are forced to stop playing for a while in a campaign. The following options now exists for your convenience.

• Ignore Decisions -Yes/No
  • Embrace Institutions - Yes/No
  • Develop Provinces - Yes/No
  • Disband Units - Yes/No
  • Change Fleet Missions - Yes/No
  • Send Missionaries - Yes/No
  • Convert Culture - Yes/No
  • Add/Remove Cultures - Yes/No
Stay tuned.. Next week we’ll talk more about forts, peace options and tradegoods, amongst other things.

Reactions:
Can you split the Swedish provinces of Smaland into Kalmar and Jonkoping?

In the 12th century the first foundations of a castle were established, with the construction of a round tower for guard and lookout. The tower was continuously expanded in the 13th century, and as such, Queen Margaret called an assembly there between the heads of state of Sweden and Norway, and on 13 July 1397, the Kalmar Union treaty was signed, which would last until 1523.

On 18 May 1284 Jönköping became the first City in Sweden to be granted its rights by king Magnus Ladulås, who ruled mostly from Vättern's largest island Visingsö.

The provinces were seperated from Smaland in the 1600s but the cities still existed beforehand. EU4 has a tendency to name provinces after both cities and actualy provinces. This would be a case for the former.

Reactions:
Fish don't care who owns the land. The market declined mainly because of climate change and because new fish stocks were found and traded with elsewhere. And really, herring just doesn't taste all that great - if there's cheap'ish alternatives people would have taken them and they did.

Herring is delicious!!!

Especially when smoked!

Especially with Scotch!

Reactions:
Reactions:
On a similar note, Smålenene is also a Danish name and wasn't used until the 1600s. A more Norwegian name would be Borgarsysla or Borg (Old Norse name for the region and the main town) or Borgarting for the thing. Sarpsborg is the sligtly newer name for the town, but I don't know when it was first used. Østfold is the current name of the region and comes from the old name for the Oslofjord ( Fold).

Agder seems more Norwegian than Agdesiden to me.
Smålenene actually isn't 100% Danish either, since å wasn't used in Danish until 1948. You'll have to use aa instead.

Welp...

so much for save compatibility.
Actually if they only added provinces then it should be possible to keep a save if you are wiling to do some save game editing. Just edit in the new provinces and set who owns them. Possibly also some province history. Probably best to use a 1.19 save for comparison. If you are on Ironman you are screwed yes, though then you can just opt to stay on 1.18.

They are Danish/Norwegian.
Yes, but that doesn't change that his argument is correct. Iceland does warrant it's own culture if you look at it culture wise. Though game play wise I'm not really sure how much it adds---on the other hand Sami doesn't really add much either and it's on a bit of the same ground as Icelandic.
Denmark and norway got new provinces! I sure hope you did the same with england and sweden? ;]
Sweden got three new provinces a few patches ago; you can't get provinces both when Denmark Norway gets them and when we don't get anything.

And really, herring just doesn't taste all that great
Speak for yourself.

Because you are giving more attention to Denmark and Norway, are you also going to add in dynamic province names for Nordic settlements in the Americas? They are set up to become major colonial powers and it would give them more flavor if they go that route.
You can help with that yourself. There is a suggestions thread here where you can suggest Danish dynamic names (that thread has already led to every single Danish dynamic name in game). So just wrap out your references and your good head and start finding period accurate names and where they don't exist make up ones which makes sense. Possibly by just translating the local names into Danish; possibly somehow else. Though do make sure to mention your arguments so that we can discuss the names and see whether they makes sense---especially when it comes to the areas which never had Danish names.

Also PI is discriminating against us Danes! They won't use the good, old = which used to be an integral part of the Danish language... (As you probably know = was used as a hyphen back in the day; so if you needed something hyphenated you used = and not -.)
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ing-danish-dynamic-names-a-suggestion.914614/
The market can be lost but it has nothing to do with who owns the province :)
Speaking of trade goods can you then reveal which trade goods the Danish provinces have now? Or at least whether the Danish iron production in Jutland is represented now?

Reactions:
It's not 'large blocks of solid saturated color'. You can tell in the North America screenshot that there's terrain showing. Blackfoot in the upper left, Cherokee in the lower right (the green one above Creek, with the mountain range making the actual text unreadable...)
I think you are misunderstanding their post. They seem to not like the clash in style that occurs between the showing of realistic terrain boarded by the saturated colors that are used to denote lands held by a nation. I am inclined to agree it doesn't look all that great and while I might be able to live with it over time I would much prefer to keep the current grey = uncolonized and colored = owned. So please Paradox give us an option to keep the current system.

Reactions:
Smålenene actually isn't 100% Danish either, since å wasn't used in Danish until 1948. You'll have to use aa instead.

Until the end of the 17th century (at the earliest, the Académie only officially adopted the change in 1835), every word ending ins "-ais" or "-ait" in modern French was spelled "'-ois" or "-oit" (and pronounced differently, although that is not the point). Yet the game has "Charolais" and "Bourbonnais".

Reactions:
Yes, but that doesn't change that his argument is correct. Iceland does warrant it's own culture if you look at it culture wise. Though game play wise I'm not really sure how much it adds---on the other hand Sami doesn't really add much either and it's on a bit of the same ground as Icelandic.

I am a quarter Norwegian/Icelandic.

So, I would be inclined to agree it should be, but I am not sure it is really worth the effort.

I also think they split that huge province in northern Finland. I might be wrong though.
That happened a few patches ago when Sweden got three new provinces; though it could have been split again of course. Do you have some screenshots or something?

Until the end of the 17th century (at the earliest, the Académie only officially adopted the change in 1835), every word ending ins "-ais" or "-ait" in modern French was spelled "'-ois" or "-oit" (and pronounced differently, although that is not the point). Yet the game has "Charolais" and "Bourbonnais".
Make a thread about it in the suggestions forum and suggest the change and provide references. Then that mistake might, hopefully, get fixed. (Also there's absolutely no pronunciation difference between aa and å; it's entirely orthography so that might make such changes easier than when there is an actual sound change. Also no, aa in Scandinavian does not sound like the aa used elsewhere and e.g. seen in Aachen.)

I am a quarter Norwegian/Icelandic.

So, I would be inclined to agree it should be, but I am not sure it is really worth the effort.
I'd say that it probably isn't worth including, since Icelandic never was important and the administrators on Iceland spoke Danish in this period (possibly Norwegian in the early part of it). But there is an Iceland nation in game and that to some degree tilts it to making Icelandic worth it (as part of the Scandinavian culture group of course). But I'd still slant towards not worth inclusion. Though compared to other, historically insignificant, cultures included in game, Icelandic probably is warranted. E.g. when having Sami as a separate culture then you probably should have Icelandic too. Either way I can live with it not being there or it being there. Flavour and immersion wise it would be best that it's there, but gameplay wise it doesn't really matter at all---and in fact could possibly be detrimental in that it could lead to Icelandic revolts for independence, which isn't really plausible at all.

So beautiful... should have sent a poet...

Now if only you could get rid of Bornholm...
Why do you want to get rid of Bornholm? That is one of the most important naval bases in the game (to be fair the naval base was on Ertholmene, which are the very tiny island specks just north east of Bornholm), and historically everybody and their dog has wanted it, since if you control Bornholm you control the southn Baltic Sea (and possibly part of the Northern too). For crying out loud the Russians initially were reluctant to leave in 1945 when having liberated it due to the strategic importance and didn't leave until 1946---i.e. it was still strategically important as late as WWII.

Reactions:
Please, do make the political map wasteland terrain optional. I love how beautiful it looks, but I never use terrain because my computer doesn't handle it well, and I would like to continue playing and buying more doc for this game ;)

Reactions:
Good to see more province additions! The map can always get more accurate. :)

I'd say that it probably isn't worth including, since Icelandic never was important and the administrators on Iceland spoke Danish in this period (possibly Norwegian in the early part of it).
What language the administrators spoke isn't relevant to the culture of the province though. Language ≠ culture in the game, and the culture represents the population.

Reactions: