• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 25th of October 2016

Hello everyone and welcome to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. This time we’ll go into the main flavor of the 1.19 patch, which we call Denmark.

Well, why do we call it Denmark? Well.. First of all, we’ve added lots and lots of Dynamic Historical Event to Denmark, bringing them up to par with other european majors. Skåne also starts with the Skånemarket, a large bonus to the fish produced in the province. We have also added a few new provinces in Jylland, while also increasing the development of Denmark as a whole.
eu4_52.png

And as you can see here, the Danes get a nice new unit in 1.19 as well..

eu4_51.png

Norway also got an improvement, getting their map revised to include a fair amount of new provinces, and a wasteland in the center of the mountain range, to make the country more easily defended against the vile swedes. We also gave them a huge chunk of new Dynamic Historical Events, making playing them a fair bit more interesting.
CvhMke2WEAA4Oxh.jpg large.jpg

We also improved the political mapmode, as so many had requested, so we now show the terrain map where there has been no colonisation yet, so you’ll have some more informative eye-candy while playing
eu4_54.png

One other thing to mention today is the fact that we added a fair bit more instructions to the AI for your nation if you crash or are forced to stop playing for a while in a campaign. The following options now exists for your convenience.

• Ignore Decisions -Yes/No
  • Embrace Institutions - Yes/No
  • Develop Provinces - Yes/No
  • Disband Units - Yes/No
  • Change Fleet Missions - Yes/No
  • Send Missionaries - Yes/No
  • Convert Culture - Yes/No
  • Add/Remove Cultures - Yes/No
Stay tuned.. Next week we’ll talk more about forts, peace options and tradegoods, amongst other things.

Reactions:
I find it interesting that throughout the history of the EU franchise, we've been demanding and cheering the rolling back of wastelands, and now we have people demanding and cheering the ADDITION of wastelands where they've never been.

Reactions:
I find it interesting that throughout the history of the EU franchise, we've been demanding and cheering the rolling back of wastelands, and now we have people demanding and cheering the ADDITION of wastelands where they've never been.
People have demanded wastelands in Norway at least since EU3; besides the one added it has also been demanded that one was added at the Norwegian Finnish border.

Reactions:
With the changes to Norway do their coastal provinces become more habitable? Less mountain type more flatlands or woods? Maybe a new type - valley?

Reactions:
People have demanded wastelands in Norway at least since EU3; besides the one added it has also been demanded that one was added at the Norwegian Finnish border.
I think the ideal would be adding a system to lay claim to wastelands. Keeps the map from having the ugly grey spots within countries like Russia and now Norway, while also keeping the functionality and general usefulness of the wastelands.

Reactions:
I think the ideal would be adding a system to lay claim to wastelands. Keeps the map from having the ugly grey spots within countries like Russia and now Norway, while also keeping the functionality and general usefulness of the wastelands.
That already exists actually; it's a game option and when enabled it colours neighbouring wastelands if you dominate among the countries bordering them.

Reactions:
We also improved the political mapmode, as so many had requested, so we now show the terrain map where there has been no colonisation yet, so you’ll have some more informative eye-candy while playing
View attachment 214279
This will make the map look so much better

Reactions:
Another reason I don't play vanilla EUIV. I hate wastelands, especially smacked in the middle of a nation. Norway looks like it has a rash now.

Reactions:
For gameplay reasons I'd actually prefer more wastelands along the swedish-norwegian border. (creating some kind of chokes would be good) With 2-3 gaps, rather than the continous line we have now.

Reactions:
Keeping my fingers crossed that one of Norway's DHEs involves actual literal giants descending from Jotunheim. That'd sure show those pesky Swedes.

Also, add me to the list of "people who don't like the new political map mode". One of the things that I've always loved about EU is how clean and simple the map is, with so little visual fluff to get in the way of the actual useful information. It might just be down to the way that my brain processes visual information, but I find the new-look map to be extremely jarring.

Reactions:
Are we going to be able to revert this new change to the political mapmode? I don't like it at all to be honest.

Reactions:
Will Dithmarschen be part of the HRE or will it be a free nation? Thinking about possible nations to stage my troops in as France (for BBB achievement) before declaring war on Denmark ^^

Reactions:
Point taken ^^

I got it from a Norwegian source for what it matters but it was of course talking about the Danish amt so... yeah. ;)

Jotunheimen was fixed since the screenshot was taken too btw.

On a similar note, Smålenene is also a Danish name and wasn't used until the 1600s. A more Norwegian name would be Borgarsysla or Borg (Old Norse name for the region and the main town) or Borgarting for the thing. Sarpsborg is the sligtly newer name for the town, but I don't know when it was first used. Østfold is the current name of the region and comes from the old name for the Oslofjord ( Fold).

Agder seems more Norwegian than Agdesiden to me.

Reactions:
I see what u did there johan! :p

More lands for the swedish crown... u cant possibly buff norway and denmark.. u MUST have other plans!!!
Those riches u gave to the danish crown will come in handy when sweden will form scandinavia, wont they? :p

Something fishy is going on here, and im not talking about skane :D

Reactions:
Bonus idea:
A new world beckons (no longer constrained by feudalistic attitudes, the common people are now even more willing to create a better life for themselves and their families): +15% Settler Growth

People left the old world because they had no change to create a better life for themselves so it should result in LESS settler growth. Remember life in the colonies was shite

Reactions: