EU4 - Development Diary - 24th of October 2017

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
RIP DDRJake T_T

Oh I'm very much alive.

Is there a cooldown on slackening recruiting standards or is it only limited by your professionalism?

It's limited purely by your professionalism.

Yeah me too! Why can't developer diaries be daily?!

Well sure, if you're happy with Development Diaries about features we would hypothetically make if we weren't trapped in a Box Quest-esque cycle of writing nonstop diaries every working hour.

yo DDR my buddy, my friend, mi amigo can you give us a bit more of that release date?

Yeah okay.

Paradox introduces Army Professionalism which, among others, increases when building military buildings. AI now less likely to build those buildings :confused: Oh well at least it will be richer and can spam mercs more cheaply from low professionalism

In testing, we actually found the tie between buildings and professionalism to be an unintended level of pain to use, so it has been removed from impacting on professionalism. It is impacted by hiring generals, Drilling, events and decisions.

Naming a general before you see his stats ? Jake The Swift could end up being Jake the Crippled

Story of my dancing life.

did you just announced of announcement of new pdx game?

No.

Think it means you need to own either Art of War or Cradle of Civilisation to get it.

Correct.

Can you add general age? It would be nice to see how long they have left. Would help determine if a war should be postponed since your best general is of old age.

This is not currently in the game, but I agree that it would be a good addition.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the AI is now able to declare wars on overseas countries (such as Ottomans on The Knights, or Japan on Korea) again. (For two years it has been unable to, except against Primitives and in Independence, Coalition, and Religious League wars)

Oh well, I guess people might see it in the changelog...

Does this mean the AI will no longer be able to call the player in month two without promising land? Or are you saying that still exists?
I only mentioned a cheat that already exists in the game. I haven't removed or changed it.

@Gnivom do this changes to the AI make it better at colonizing? Currently Spain and Portugal are barely able to colonize and the institution always spawns in Britain.
The AI is slightly better at colonizing in 1.23. In our current handsoff games, they do ok with colonization when not distracted too much in Europe (Aragon or France conquering Castile, Castile or Morocco invading Portugal). Emphasis on _slightly_ and _ok_ though.

this slackening standards may be useful but i would be sad if AI will spam this
when i played EU4 and AI passed my forts without capturing them, but it is good to know that it was just a bug
It will not spam Slacken Recruitment Standards. However, few AI countries manage to keep really high AP anyway, due to reliance on mercenaries as some have mentioned. This has been taken into consideration, and the AI tries somewhat to avoid mercenaries, but will still recruit lots of them whenever it feels like it needs to.

This should just be the UI not being updated since they got the new forts. If you wait for a monthly tick, it should show their real fort maintenance cost?
Otherwise, please upload a save file and I will fix the issue.

Realy? I mean obviously You guys know your own game better than us but... The AI just walks through my forts in every single game I've ever played, in the past or current. I was under the understanding that if the AI can somehow reach a province, it will cheat and take the shortest route available to make it easier on the AI. I thought that was stated some time back when the potential fort changes were discussed (which were canceled). It's still the number one most frustrating thing I face in my EU4 games honestly. Allies run past forts that I can't run past, and get crushed by enemy armies because I cannot support them. Or enemies just march through my forts, taking a very short route to easily be able to wipe out my shattered armies for example, despite forts being in place that should force the AI to take a much longer route. If this is not intended, then this is a bug that is not rare, but present in all my games in every war. :/
You just mentioned the bug I was thinking of, and it was fixed several patches ago.
I do think you are probably missing some fringe rule in those cases. If you ever see the AI make a move that should be illegal, if you're not in Ironman mode or multiplayer you can use the console to change country to that nation and see if you could make the same move. If not, it's certainly a bug.
(Note that I am now only speaking on my own behalf)