• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 24th March 2016

Hello everyone and welcome to another development diary for Europa Univeralis IV. Today we’ll look at a few of new features available for those with the Mare Nostrum DLC.

Whether it’s 10 days or 10 years into a war, there are moments when you know deep down that there is no victory in sight. Currently you might have to wait for your enemy to siege down certain provinces and put your army at great risk before you are able to sign peace, or you are fighting another player who is more interested than your total destruction than simple terms. For these moments, we have added an Unconditional Surrender button.

1.jpg

Upon offering unconditional surrender, all of your currently unoccupied provinces will fall under enemy control and your enemy will gain 100% warscore. Your armies in your own provinces will become exiled and unable to fight in future battles until peace is signed. For the recipient of an unconditional surrender, you will be alerted of your enemy’s surrender and from then on will be able to enforce any possible peace up to 100% warscore cost. If you do not sign peace, then after a couple months you will get Call For Peace giving you monthly war exhaustion which increases faster than normal. The peace you offer will automatically be accepted by the surrendering nation.

For the time being, the AI does not offer unconditional surrender. They will however, gladly accept them.

2.jpg

If you find yourself so busy crushing your enemies to the point of Unconditional Surrender that you have neglected to explore the world around you, Mare Nostrum also bring a new option to the table by way of the Map Share feature.

3.jpg

Map sharing is a new diplomatic action. If you have good relations with a nation who has discovered land which you have not, you can request that they share their maps of a region with you. This will cost you a lump sum of 15 prestige of which 10 will be granted to the kind sharing nation. Colonizing nation are greedy and will not want to share but nations who share a common foe may be more willing to share.

If asking nicely is simply not your thing, you can take the shady path and swipe the maps. It will require the Espionage idea group and cost a moderate amount of Spy Network points, but you will be able to steal the maps right from under their noses.

4.jpg

Stay tuned for more information next week

Mare Nostrum will be available on April 5th for €14:99

Reactions:
DDRJake was reffering to the Conddotieri army. The army was hired by the "friend" country and could not go through the "military acces territory" of the army owner. It got Exiled when it should not. THIS IS A BUG

^ This is good. It is not a bug. Read the wiki link that I sent you.

The thing that happend to the Dev was a bug. The situation shown by you was not.
Why should this not be changed? Who cares if you could smash the troops of the enemy directly? In reality it is also possible. It is just senceless. Sometimes you have to go "years" long back home. Sometimes your troops are located in east persia and you join a war in India. But if you play as Yemen, than you have to walk years long back to your own territorie first. It is so anoying and is senceless

Reactions:
@shafii777 I will end it here. I see the point of long voyage .But If i remember correctly this system was present in EU3 too. Why it should not be changed? An example especially for you:

If it was like you want it to be:

As Yemen you ask for military access to Hormuz. You enter in their territory and then cancel the military access. You declare a war to Hormuz. You insta crush the enemy army and Start the siege since the first moment. Hormuz had no chance of defence or where to retreat.

You can use this to occupy quickly every country that would grant you the Military access. You will just start carpet siege the whole enemy (If you have a higher army in every of their provinces) from the war's first day.

This is what would happend now:

As Yemen you ask for military access to Hormuz. You enter in their territory and then cancel the military acces. You declare war to Hormuz. You are getting blackflaged. You must return home you can't exploit this method. Hormuz can defend. This is a fair war.

Again #offtopic

Reactions:
Yes, States And Territories now works off of Areas instead of Regions. The number of States you can have in total has been increased accordingly.

It has indeed.

I quoted you so that you get this really good suggestion.

The number of areas should not be a fixed number as that makes it very bland. There should be a few ways to get extra areas to designate. Obviously goverment rank should affect it.

Tying it to tech level milestones.
Idea groups giving extra areas - Expansion giving quite a few, Administrative giving some, and even Innovative, aristocratic, or influcence/diplo could give one.

I quoted you so that you get this really good suggestion.

The number of areas should not be a fixed number as that makes it very bland. There should be a few ways to get extra areas to designate. Obviously goverment rank should affect it.

Tying it to tech level milestones.
Idea groups giving extra areas - Expansion giving quite a few, Administrative giving some, and even Innovative, aristocratic, or influcence/diplo could give one.

It already works that way. :rolleyes:

Reactions:
It already works that way. :rolleyes:
yes yes, I'm just excited since I pretty much lost interest in EU4 after the rushed cossacks debacle. Now I started looking at everything again and with the expansion just around the corner I wanted to get any suggestions out quick so they have time to implement them.

Here's hoping the AI will eventually surrender unconditionally sometimes, too :) . Will save me from losing lots of manpower to attrition as I siege forts belonging to an enemy who has no free provinces and no more soldiers.