• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 24th March 2016

Hello everyone and welcome to another development diary for Europa Univeralis IV. Today we’ll look at a few of new features available for those with the Mare Nostrum DLC.

Whether it’s 10 days or 10 years into a war, there are moments when you know deep down that there is no victory in sight. Currently you might have to wait for your enemy to siege down certain provinces and put your army at great risk before you are able to sign peace, or you are fighting another player who is more interested than your total destruction than simple terms. For these moments, we have added an Unconditional Surrender button.

1.jpg

Upon offering unconditional surrender, all of your currently unoccupied provinces will fall under enemy control and your enemy will gain 100% warscore. Your armies in your own provinces will become exiled and unable to fight in future battles until peace is signed. For the recipient of an unconditional surrender, you will be alerted of your enemy’s surrender and from then on will be able to enforce any possible peace up to 100% warscore cost. If you do not sign peace, then after a couple months you will get Call For Peace giving you monthly war exhaustion which increases faster than normal. The peace you offer will automatically be accepted by the surrendering nation.

For the time being, the AI does not offer unconditional surrender. They will however, gladly accept them.

2.jpg

If you find yourself so busy crushing your enemies to the point of Unconditional Surrender that you have neglected to explore the world around you, Mare Nostrum also bring a new option to the table by way of the Map Share feature.

3.jpg

Map sharing is a new diplomatic action. If you have good relations with a nation who has discovered land which you have not, you can request that they share their maps of a region with you. This will cost you a lump sum of 15 prestige of which 10 will be granted to the kind sharing nation. Colonizing nation are greedy and will not want to share but nations who share a common foe may be more willing to share.

If asking nicely is simply not your thing, you can take the shady path and swipe the maps. It will require the Espionage idea group and cost a moderate amount of Spy Network points, but you will be able to steal the maps right from under their noses.

4.jpg

Stay tuned for more information next week

Mare Nostrum will be available on April 5th for €14:99

Reactions:
So the unconditional stuff: I assume it gives control of the provinces to the warleader?

What about being in multiple wars? I mean if I surrender to one enemy, all my provinces switch to him, then I surrender to another, he doesn't occupy anywhere close to a hundred percent, how does that work then?

Reactions:
Interesting, good additions. I hope the discovery has been fixed with the DLC and accompanying patch so this is a reasonable thing to do. Besides, there's something off about Russia allying Ming in 1550.

Reactions:
You should consider having the AI offer unconditional surrender when it is losing a war at -100% warscore, it would prevent players from sitting on them for a few years and slowly wrecking their economy by encouraging the player into peace at 100%.

Reactions:
Looks good to me.

For the time being, the AI does not offer unconditional surrender.

What sort of conditions do you forsee the AI offering unconditional surrender under when it is implemented? Or is that still something being worked on?

Reactions:
Much needed improvements to the way passive discovery works. Awesome! :)

Man, this has got to be the poorest Dev Diary I have ever seen, considering we already knew about sharing maps, and after the Condottieri stream. The real blow to the gut however, is that the Unconditional Surrender is a placeholder, not an actual feature... Disappointing.

I was kinda hoping that since they are confident enough about the AI's ability to pull off Condottieri then perhaps loans between countries would make a return.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Will this mean that the automatic revelation of territory is being reworked a little? It's always annoying to be able to see half the new world before I've gotten my first explorer out, just because I took exploration as the second idea group, rather than the first one...

Reactions:
So the unconditional stuff: I assume it gives control of the provinces to the warleader?

What about being in multiple wars? I mean if I surrender to one enemy, all my provinces switch to him, then I surrender to another, he doesn't occupy anywhere close to a hundred percent, how does that work then?

Just as to why I ask these questions, say I get roflstomped or dow by an extremely superior enemy - could I then not, before being carpet sieged, declare on some punk who can't take my land or doesn't desire it, surrender unconditionally to him, do the same to my abuser right afterwards, the punk peaces out for monies and other non-clay stuff and I get a way less painful peace with the primary threat than I would have otherwise?

Reactions:
While unconditional surrender is a nice feature it is rather disappointing that a way of getting the AI to use it sensibly has not been included.

The AI using it if it was big enough to not be outright annexed as the result of a surrender, but was heavily outnumbered and had lost wargoal and/or capital would not be totally outrageous, I think.

Reactions:
VERY Interesting!
The unconditional surrender is a great feature

With the change to maps, I hope auto-exploration has been fixed to not reveal the whole map so quickly, otherwise it wont be worth it

Reactions:
It's a bummer that you guys couldn't figure out a way to get the AI to intelligently offer unconditional surrender when they are completely defeated, though I'm sure this may have been difficult to code.

Reactions:
You should consider having the AI offer unconditional surrender when it is losing a war at -100% warscore, it would prevent players from sitting on them for a few years and slowly wrecking their economy by encouraging the player into peace at 100%.
That's the point of the call for peace penalty to players who want to just sit on the enemy.

Reactions: