• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 24th March 2016

Hello everyone and welcome to another development diary for Europa Univeralis IV. Today we’ll look at a few of new features available for those with the Mare Nostrum DLC.

Whether it’s 10 days or 10 years into a war, there are moments when you know deep down that there is no victory in sight. Currently you might have to wait for your enemy to siege down certain provinces and put your army at great risk before you are able to sign peace, or you are fighting another player who is more interested than your total destruction than simple terms. For these moments, we have added an Unconditional Surrender button.

1.jpg

Upon offering unconditional surrender, all of your currently unoccupied provinces will fall under enemy control and your enemy will gain 100% warscore. Your armies in your own provinces will become exiled and unable to fight in future battles until peace is signed. For the recipient of an unconditional surrender, you will be alerted of your enemy’s surrender and from then on will be able to enforce any possible peace up to 100% warscore cost. If you do not sign peace, then after a couple months you will get Call For Peace giving you monthly war exhaustion which increases faster than normal. The peace you offer will automatically be accepted by the surrendering nation.

For the time being, the AI does not offer unconditional surrender. They will however, gladly accept them.

2.jpg

If you find yourself so busy crushing your enemies to the point of Unconditional Surrender that you have neglected to explore the world around you, Mare Nostrum also bring a new option to the table by way of the Map Share feature.

3.jpg

Map sharing is a new diplomatic action. If you have good relations with a nation who has discovered land which you have not, you can request that they share their maps of a region with you. This will cost you a lump sum of 15 prestige of which 10 will be granted to the kind sharing nation. Colonizing nation are greedy and will not want to share but nations who share a common foe may be more willing to share.

If asking nicely is simply not your thing, you can take the shady path and swipe the maps. It will require the Espionage idea group and cost a moderate amount of Spy Network points, but you will be able to steal the maps right from under their noses.

4.jpg

Stay tuned for more information next week

Mare Nostrum will be available on April 5th for €14:99

Reactions:
Like the AI does now?
In theory.

In practice, the AI is very good at getting itself wrecked by trying to pounce a larger power in that fashion, only to find itself on the receiving end of a lethal dose of mercspam when whoever else the larger power is at war with peaces out.

Reactions:
I actually might find some use for unconditional surrender... if that's implemented well, of course. Overall, I'm waiting for AI to be able to unconditionally surrender, some wars are taking years only because a damn tropical TPM is so stubborn with their level 10 fort!
About sharing maps: yeah, I can see a use of this one, especially in MP where I want to coordinate my plans with friends.
And about stealing maps... yeah, no, still not buying me into espionage ideas... just trash 'em already
Well, my salt in that case was justified, since we were graceful in our peace and they were not going to be that... I got my revenge later so I'm fine :D and I got the best trophy, it's actually useful :)
JrbZD5W.jpg

Reactions:
I believe that if they could make the AI use this feature, they wouldn't release the feature just for the player to use.
My guess is they only came up with the feature very recently, and wanted to add it in to the new patch, but haven't had time yet to teach the AI to use it.

Reactions:
Major Espionage rework: We removed the Espionage idea group because no one but the AI picks it, and the AI is utterly annoying with it.

This is what we need.

Reactions:
Reactions:
You should consider having the AI offer unconditional surrender when it is losing a war at -100% warscore, it would prevent players from sitting on them for a few years and slowly wrecking their economy by encouraging the player into peace at 100%.

In fact, at 80-90% it should already consider it each month, at 90% it should just surrender. 90% usually is just 1 fort or couple of cheap provinces still under process of being conquered or just a ghost army unable to do anything to turn the war.

Reactions:
That unconditional surrender looks like a multiplayer intended feature, to stop people from breaking people's nations, and deathspiraling but I thought that's what revanchism was for?

Oh wait, that completely failed, didn't it?

Lol...

I am getting sick and tired of these rehashing of features in new DLCs to try and get another $20 from us, or these rehashing of fixes.

Random new world original, $20.
Random new world fixed, $20.
Breaking nations revanchism fix, $20
Breaking nations unconditional surrender fix, $20. (I heard mare nostrum might be $30? Count me right out of that nonsense lmao)

Last edited:
Reactions:
Ah Good, another pointless Multiplayer-Only Doodad that will probably never be used even in Most Multiplayer Games.

Y'know your time could have been better spent in programming a "Crushing Defeat" condition that would automatically apply to both the AI and the Player. Something like;

* Capital is Occupied
* Army is below 5% of Force Limit
* Army is at less than half the strength of the Enemy's army.
* Total Alliance Army Strength is below one quarter of the Enemy Alliance's Total Army Strength.

When this happens it triggers a "Crushing Defeat" during which basically automatically pushes the "Unconditional Surrender" button. To improve AI in general, make it so if points 2-3 is satisfied, the AI will be willing to White Peace Out.

Boom, AI is improved and the feature can be used by the Player agains the AI and the AI against the Player.

"But the Player will exploit this?!?!?" The Player already exploits the AI's pointless Obstinance even more. So the player, and the AI, will be better able to quickly seize territory from countries that it has Clearly Beaten. So what? They'll still have to deal with over-Extension and Aggressive Expansion. Hell, make it so the game records what the Warscore was 'before' the Unconditional Surrender happened and if you go over that with your demands you get extra AE.

If you want to really start getting into fancy stuff have Truces that are flagged so one side can break them early at less penalty. Actually, why not tie that into Revanchism? If a country has a great deal of Revanchism let them break truces against people who hold their cores with no stability penalty. Make it so suffering a "Crushing Defeat" automatically adds some Revanchism before the peace even happens.

There are planety of ways this could be an interesting feature, but as it stands now it's just pointless fluff for people who don't need it anyways.

Reactions:
The hardest thing with implementing peace without the "length of war" contributor is preventing free grabs from players. That is, once you learn under what conditions the AI will unconditionally surrender, you can just watch for when an enemy AI has been obliterated in a different war, then declare yourself to get free stuff (or immediately after they peace out but before they've rebuilt their armies, for instance). Sure you can still pile on, but currently at least you do have to waste some time and resources going through the motions to collect your spoils.

It's a solvable problem, but it isn't trivial to make the solution comprehensive with no room for loopholes.
For instance, it would be enough to make the AI surrender just in the war where the opponents have the highest warscore. They are fully occupied by those enemies, thus you can't occupy anything for yourself until they'peaced out.

Definitely think Unconditional Surrender is more important for the AI than the player, as they're the ones who are more likely not to realize when a war is hopeless, at least in Single Player. I hope there's a way to implement that.

Reactions:
Does this mean i'm going to get the peacedeal i deserve for annihilating my enemies? without having to siege every last one of his provinces and kill every last one of his soldiers?

Without the silly waiting for the warscore to tick up to 100%?

Reactions: