• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 23rd of May 2017

Good day all and welcome to another Development diary for our upcoming Immersion Pack Third Rome.

As covered in our previous diary we're spicing up the Russian region with cool new mechanics and flavour. Today we're going to be covering a couple of new options available to the Tsardom.

A Tsardom government form is gained automatically when forming Russia and brings one up to Empire rank. You are granted some hefty bonuses to available States and Absolutism but you also gain access to claim entire Areas.

eu4_202.jpg

For 50% more Spynetwork cost, the Tsar may lay claim to an entire area, rather than settle for claiming individual provinces.

As part of the revamped Russian Ideas set granted for forming Russia, Siberian Frontiers may now be established too. Any uncolonized province bordering a city of yours which is connected by land to your capital is suitable for the establishment of such a Frontier at a cost of 20 DIP.

eu4_203.jpg

Upon establishing a Siberian Frontier, the province becomes colonized and begins to grow without need of a colonist. Growth is between 5 and 15 settlers per month and the colony will not cost any colonial maintenance. If captured by a hostile power, the colony will lose its status at a Siberian Frontier and revert to being a regular colony.

eu4_205.jpg

Due to these additions in Third Rome, the Russian Nation will have a lot more flexibility with how it wants to tackle the wastes of the East, as they are not obliged to acquire colonists nor are they confined to claiming the nomads province by province. It has also been heartwarming to watch Russia in hands-off observation games as they stride Eastwards. As a little spoiler, there will be an Achievement for reaching the East coast in a time limit when Third Rome goes live.

So we've talked a fair bit about Russia in these dev diaries. Makes a lot of sense since they are the star of the show in Third Rome, but next week we are going to talk about something available for them and their brothers-in-faith. We'll see you then!

Yes it is broken because you can't see the events without cheating to create the parameters, or by playing a by now unsupported start date.
Wait, the start date is unsupported now, why?

I've never seen Netherlands or Persia lose. If anyone is too weak, it's France. In my last 4 games, in 3 of the 4 games, France is crushed by England Burgundy. In the other game, England was crushed by France and Scotland. In my opinion, France and England should maybe be strengthened and Scotland, Burgundy weakened, because right now I've never seen both survive, one always annihilated the other. But, I think France is Underpowered as 75% of the time, it is annexed by England and Burgundy

On the flip side, I've never seen Persia survie the Ottomans.

I've never seen Netherlands or Persia lose. If anyone is too weak, it's France. In my last 4 games, in 3 of the 4 games, France is crushed by England Burgundy. In the other game, England was crushed by France and Scotland. In my opinion, France and England should maybe be strengthened and Scotland, Burgundy weakened, because right now I've never seen both survive, one always annihilated the other. But, I think France is Underpowered as 75% of the time, it is annexed by England and Burgundy
England certainly does not need a buff, Burgundy could do with a nerf though. Probably in somehow making their PUs more trouble.

France always manages to annex the british isles and half the HRE for me.

England certainly does not need a buff, Burgundy could do with a nerf though. Probably in somehow making their PUs more trouble.

It is not that too hard to royally fubar up Burgundy if you play as one of their PU on 1444 Dec 14 date...

Just set your overlord's relationship to hostile and get two rival of Burgundy to support your independence and laugh at Burgundy in the peace meeting.

For me that happened 25% of the time, 75% of the time England owns Paris. I've never seen neither get crushed and it being historical. Every game one always manages to crush the other

Yea the game is very blobby regardless of who comes out on tope.France could do with some internal issues but to add those England and Burgundy needs nerfing first.

It is not that too hard to royally fubar up Burgundy if you play as one of their PU on 1444 Dec 14 date...

Just set your overlord's relationship to hostile and get two rival of Burgundy to support your independence and laugh at Burgundy in the peace meeting.
Not really the point though. The point is that Burgundy because of their super loyal vassal swarm can take on France as an equal or more, when in reality Burgundy had a real hard time keeping the dutch in line.

My point is that as soon Burgundy lose a war and some clay. Their vassal/PU will be even more likely to declare independence if they were buffed. So it is a delicate balance.

I feel like claiming whole states and, tangentially, the claims through claims Age bonus should have been considered for Espionage ideas instead of where they are now. This would buff the group considerably and thus add more options and strategy to the base game for every nation. These good ideas are wasted in their current implementation by comparison.

My point is that as soon Burgundy lose a war and some clay. Their vassal/PU will be even more likely to declare independence if they were buffed. So it is a delicate balance.
i'm not saying their vassals should be buffed. That will only make them even more dangerous if Burgundy actually gets them under control. No Burgundy's ability to control them needs nerfing. Perhaps an event called dutch rebellion which lowers their opinion of burgundy gives them liberty desire and makes them like each other more. Increasing the odds that several of them try for independence together rather than one at a time or not at all.
And not really, Burgundy only became independent like it is because France fractured, their independence was always a temporary thing. In 1444 they had two paths align with the empire and be declared a separate kingdom from france (under imperial protection) or be reannexxed by france. The death of their ruling line just expedited their demise.