• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 23rd of June 2016

capsule.jpg

Hello and welcome to today's development diary for Europa Universalis IV. It's actually a well earned(?) day off for me but I'm doing a once unthinkable thing and working a bit from home. Last week I said we would take a look at a very influential dynasty of the time period. Sorry to disappoint all the Velikopermsky and Dandani fans out there, but I had the Osmanoglus on my mind.

It would be an understatement to say that the Ottomans gave the world a good shaking in this time period. Furthermore, they are one of the more commonly played nations in EUIV. We wanted to give them a little something to bring out their unique flavour since it was always a shame that they are a run-of-the-mill Sultanate. It has also been pointed out on numerous occasions the oddity of a situation where you have the Ottoman nation..without an Osmanoglu at the helm.

So to that end, in the still-unnamed upcoming expansion we have added a unique government type for them: The Ottoman Sultanate.

The Ottoman Sultanate does not generate heirs like normal monarchies do. The ruler of the Ottoman Sultanate will have their own Harem to ensure the dynasty lives on. At the age of 30, your ruler will select one of his sons to be the heir to the throne. They will, of course, be of your dynasty

eu4_1.jpg

So an Ottoman Sultanate shall always be blessed by the strong line of Osmanoglus. That is to say unless the Sultan dies without an heir. In that case, they'll still end up with an Osmanoglu. "Blessed" can be a relative term here.

eu4_2.jpg

There are a couple dozen events accompanying this unique government type to simulate the power struggle and intrigue of such a succession system and should add a couple of fangs to that already formidable Ottomans.

While this is unique to the Ottomans, any modders out there can easily allow this for other government types with the has_harem = yes line.

I feel like we're on a roll when it comes to governments and rulers so here's another thing for today's Development Diary. Abdication.

Yes, it has long been a requested feature in Europa Universalis. When Enrique or his low-stat kind just refuses to die you can abdicate and let your next in line take over. This requires you to have an of-age heir and to have either ruled for 25 years or be 60+ years old. It will come with a considerable hit to your legitimacy/unity and prestige but I think we've all had times where we wanted our monarch to Die Please Die.

eu4_3.jpg

Ottoman Sultanate and Abdication are both paid features in the upcoming expansion which we have magically managed to keep unleaked name-wise.

I've been mentioning a lot of paid features lately but it's good to remind ourselves that with all the paid expansions come free bugfixes and features from the accompanying patch. A small change that will be coming up in 1.18 that I want to share is to do with succession wars. I'm not too happy with how right now, they have two conclusions: Either the new overlord keeps their union or the nation fighting them over it take leadership over the union for themselves. Now, we will add a peace option which simply breaks the union for all parties involved.

eu4_4.jpg

Simple, sensible, and added free in 1.18 for those times where you just want to keep the status quo. Warscore cost scales with the junior partner's size.

Happy midsummer everyone, I'm off to....oh, right, I need to tease upcoming Diaries. Hrmm~ Well, we've touched a lot on rulers but would you believe it, we're not quite done with the changes in the throne room. We'll come to that in the future. As for next week, we'll switch it up on the battlefield. See you then!

Last edited:
Reactions:
maybe he's talking about this mysterious new tab in the country interface? Something about internal politics, perhaps?
That "mysterious" tab was shown already** in June 2nd as the new government tab [not all aspects reveled - government type section].
The old government tab, as you can see here, is renamed to court tab.

**You can find the latest DDs easily on the wiki's front page.

@Trin Tragula

every tech group has own unique type building pictures, eastern, western, arabian, chineese, native etc.

but ottomans are using arabian tech buildings.

pls add unique tech building pictures to ottomans. they are currenty using arabian tech building pictures which is so ridiculous.

NEn2W5.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
Well, one thing that would be lovely in relation to succession wars is to actually get a war screen before you actually commit to the war. You just get a very short pop-up now.

Reactions:
Ok cool. I am intrigued about the new expansion. The patch itself is so good (The Institutions seem to bee really nice IMO if balanced enough.)

I think the Ottomans need their janissary decadence events to be worse. Right now in MP nobody will ever disband the janissaries and just deal with the consequences as 5% discipline and 10% infantry combat is more than some countries get entirely. This means other than that mid game unit pip drop their army goes from fantastic to fantastic to still fantastic.
I would also say the problem is earlier: a reasonable (not even amazing player!) could get the ottomans up to a level where by the time janisaries fires they are already unbeatable. True internal strife that really drains armies and MP of the Ottomans (think intrigue and BIG problems on pretender crises) could perhaps partly solve that.

I would also say the problem is earlier: a reasonable (not even amazing player!) could get the ottomans up to a level where by the time janisaries fires they are already unbeatable. True internal strife that really drains armies and MP of the Ottomans (think intrigue and BIG problems on pretender crises) could perhaps partly solve that.
Well not UNBEATABLE, but perhaps stronger than they should be. France can equal them despite being on lower development just because French/German development is just better due to trade nodes/high dev for buildings/trade goods/etc.

Russia on the other hand pretty much never has a hope to 1v1 the Ottomans which is weird considering how history worked. It's pretty much impossible to overcome 10% disc and 10% infantry combat though especially when the ottomans have good manpower and money and more core creation cost reduction.

Please read and consider this opinion. I think you would like it.

It surprised me and I became happy as I thought you would make the Habsburg.

I would love to see Sanjak System and "The Law for Brother Murder" (or something like that) as country decisions for Ottomans.

It can work like this: With sanjak system you have your heirs go to different cities such as Saruhan and after your Sultan dies they try to get to the capital as fast as they can (the closest one becomes the sultan) and either a war (fetret) starts between the princes (shahzades) (just like Bayezid II and Cem) or the other shahzade leaves his claim for the throne, maybe depending on his claim for the throne. Yes there may be a war but as we will choose who will come to capital first(it can be combined with choosing the heir event) the best option will be the sultan for rest of his life.

Also I mentioned the Law of bla bla bla, with that decision we will reduce the chance of a war as the young heirs under 15 (I don't know the real age for this) won't be in sanjaks and will not be able to participate in the race for the throne.

In history the new sultan got his brother killed so he would be the only legitimate owner of the country.

Well for these we should have a heirs part in the administrative page of course. We should be able to tell if a heir dies(a sultan could do that too) or where he goes for sanjak from there.

Reactions:
In history the new sultan got his brother killed so he would be the only legitimate owner of the country.

The law of fratricide is one of the things the new harem related events will touch upon :)

Reactions:
Hope there also will be an added auto-save in ironman games when a ruler dies to stop save scumming when a good leader dies. I.e. people kill the process and go back to when the leader still was living ?

Reactions:
Argh... Why do you create new Ottoman content as I'm roughly halfway through a serious attempt to WC with them? I thought I'd never play them again after that...

Reactions:
Hope there also will be an added auto-save in ironman games when a ruler dies to stop save scumming when a good leader dies. I.e. people kill the process and go back to when the leader still was living ?
There are still ways to avoid the "one save per game" limitation in Ironman, you can make a copy of the save, keep it in another folder, and put it back if things go wrong

Reactions:
I have a suggestion. Picking a heir should give negative events with other princes, including the scheming, warmongering and the possibility of the heir trying to boss around before his reign actually begins. So picking a heir shouldn't be mandatory by the age of 30, but left as an open option to choose - starting when your ruler hits the age of 30 (not all osmanoglus picked their heirs). Should your ruler die with lots of sons but not a heir you'd have an increased chance of facing a civil war.

Considering it was common that the non heir sons of the Caliph were governors, it would be a fun and realistic possibility.

Reactions: