• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 23rd of June 2016

capsule.jpg

Hello and welcome to today's development diary for Europa Universalis IV. It's actually a well earned(?) day off for me but I'm doing a once unthinkable thing and working a bit from home. Last week I said we would take a look at a very influential dynasty of the time period. Sorry to disappoint all the Velikopermsky and Dandani fans out there, but I had the Osmanoglus on my mind.

It would be an understatement to say that the Ottomans gave the world a good shaking in this time period. Furthermore, they are one of the more commonly played nations in EUIV. We wanted to give them a little something to bring out their unique flavour since it was always a shame that they are a run-of-the-mill Sultanate. It has also been pointed out on numerous occasions the oddity of a situation where you have the Ottoman nation..without an Osmanoglu at the helm.

So to that end, in the still-unnamed upcoming expansion we have added a unique government type for them: The Ottoman Sultanate.

The Ottoman Sultanate does not generate heirs like normal monarchies do. The ruler of the Ottoman Sultanate will have their own Harem to ensure the dynasty lives on. At the age of 30, your ruler will select one of his sons to be the heir to the throne. They will, of course, be of your dynasty

eu4_1.jpg

So an Ottoman Sultanate shall always be blessed by the strong line of Osmanoglus. That is to say unless the Sultan dies without an heir. In that case, they'll still end up with an Osmanoglu. "Blessed" can be a relative term here.

eu4_2.jpg

There are a couple dozen events accompanying this unique government type to simulate the power struggle and intrigue of such a succession system and should add a couple of fangs to that already formidable Ottomans.

While this is unique to the Ottomans, any modders out there can easily allow this for other government types with the has_harem = yes line.

I feel like we're on a roll when it comes to governments and rulers so here's another thing for today's Development Diary. Abdication.

Yes, it has long been a requested feature in Europa Universalis. When Enrique or his low-stat kind just refuses to die you can abdicate and let your next in line take over. This requires you to have an of-age heir and to have either ruled for 25 years or be 60+ years old. It will come with a considerable hit to your legitimacy/unity and prestige but I think we've all had times where we wanted our monarch to Die Please Die.

eu4_3.jpg

Ottoman Sultanate and Abdication are both paid features in the upcoming expansion which we have magically managed to keep unleaked name-wise.

I've been mentioning a lot of paid features lately but it's good to remind ourselves that with all the paid expansions come free bugfixes and features from the accompanying patch. A small change that will be coming up in 1.18 that I want to share is to do with succession wars. I'm not too happy with how right now, they have two conclusions: Either the new overlord keeps their union or the nation fighting them over it take leadership over the union for themselves. Now, we will add a peace option which simply breaks the union for all parties involved.

eu4_4.jpg

Simple, sensible, and added free in 1.18 for those times where you just want to keep the status quo. Warscore cost scales with the junior partner's size.

Happy midsummer everyone, I'm off to....oh, right, I need to tease upcoming Diaries. Hrmm~ Well, we've touched a lot on rulers but would you believe it, we're not quite done with the changes in the throne room. We'll come to that in the future. As for next week, we'll switch it up on the battlefield. See you then!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Would you be able to restrict personal unions to Christians only but allow royal marriages with the Ottomans? It was more like the tradition than just an exception and it would also make this paid feature historically accurate.

It was a rather regional thing though, in-marrying with Byzantines and neighbouring Slav dynasties. No Ottoman princess afaik ever married a Habsburg, Wittselbach, Romanov, Valois, Bourbon, etc etc

Reactions:
@Trin Tragula

why ottoman empire doesn't have conquer hungary, subjugate moldovia mission or event about vassalizing crimea or piracy states?
I always wondered about it myself. Especially Crimea, given it's unique and prestigious status among Ottoman vassals. Giray Dynasty of Crimean Khanate were successors to Ottoman throne in case a Sultan died without an heir. And Barbarossa, the pirate conqueror of Algeria needs more than just a load screen portrait. He turned Mediterranean into Mare Nostrum for Ottomans when he gave his newly conquered lands to Suleiman as a gift.

Reactions:
He turned Mediterranean into Mare Nostrum for Ottomans when he gave his newly conquered lands to Suleiman as a gift.

And then the Holy League smashed the Ottoman Navy a few decades later, and the Knights of Saint John continued to remain a thorn in the Ottoman's thigh.

Reactions:
And then the Holy League smashed the Ottoman Navy a few decades later, and the Knights of Saint John continued to remain a thorn in the Ottoman's thigh.
A Holy League consisting of the Papal States, the Habsburg states of Spain, Naples and Sicily, the Republic of Venice, the Republic of Genoa, the Grand Duchy of Tuscany, the Duchies of Savoy, Parma and Urbino and the Knights of Malta. aka all of Italy and Spain had to come together to fend off the Ottoman fleet.
And the Ottomans then proceeded to construct another 200+ ships and reassert their position within a year.

Now, the main thing I still don't understand is why the Janissaries (among other potential factions) weren't just made into an estate. Or why dynastic trees still aren't a thing. Considering the whole Burgundian mess was started because of the French King's claims to the lands that Mary the Rich and the whole PU system really doesn't make sense (A 10 year old heir to a 18 year old King in a nation with primogeniture inheritance...What? At least the heirs should be dynamic so that newborns actually take priority over their uncles or sisters. And actually link up so that the dynasty game isn't just "one heir and oops, now I'll get a PU". Then we can actually do the assassination nonsense and have that not be horrifically overpowered.)

Reactions:
A Holy League consisting of the Papal States, the Habsburg states of Spain, Naples and Sicily, the Republic of Venice, the Republic of Genoa, the Grand Duchy of Tuscany, the Duchies of Savoy, Parma and Urbino and the Knights of Malta. aka all of Italy and Spain had to come together to fend off the Ottoman fleet.
And the Ottomans then proceeded to construct another 200+ ships and reassert their position within a year.

... to 'reassert' their position in the Levant, after which the conflict settled in an uneasy stalemate and both sides literally 'detached' themselves from the conflict (having more important fish to fry). By 1590 the Ottoman fleet was no more, rotting away in its very harbours and both sides were content to leave it that way. An anticlimactic ending to what to contemporaries had appeared as such a climactic struggle... I dont see the point though. The Ottoman Empire was much wealthier than the European states individually, it was a large landbased empire that in terms of tax base at this time still dwarfed her neighours.

Now, the main thing I still don't understand is why the Janissaries (among other potential factions) weren't just made into an estate. Or why dynastic trees still aren't a thing. Considering the whole Burgundian mess was started because of the French King's claims to the lands that Mary the Rich and the whole PU system really doesn't make sense (A 10 year old heir to a 18 year old King in a nation with primogeniture inheritance...What? At least the heirs should be dynamic so that newborns actually take priority over their uncles or sisters. And actually link up so that the dynasty game isn't just "one heir and oops, now I'll get a PU". Then we can actually do the assassination nonsense and have that not be horrifically overpowered.)

So true...

Reactions:

All also significantly smaller than the Ottomans - individually, they naturally would have stood no chance from a sheer numerical standpoint in a pitched naval battle (not to mention Spain was fighting on every front possible). Only by actually joining forces did they manage to make a navy that could numerically go toe to toe with the Ottomans - and then completely crushed the Turkish navy. Likewise, as any naval historian worth his salt could tell you, the real casualties of the battle were not the ships but personnel - ships can be rebuilt and newer models always made, but good sailors are priceless (though given the fact that the Ottoman Navy was largely designed by Italians, it could not be said they were always up to snuff when it came to naval technology either).

I'm not saying that the Ottomans didn't have a formidable navy or strong sway over the Mediterranean, but saying that it was a 'Mare Nostrum' for them in the 1500's with as many enemies as they had swimming about would be more than a bit of a rose-tinted overstatement.

To be honest, I feel we would actually need a concrete distinction between newborns, uncles and sisters before any in-depth Dynasty system could be made, much as I would love it.

Reactions:
So, maybe a strange question. But.
If you are doing an alt-history, and have edited your Ottoman ruler name lists to be, say, all female, will the new Ottoman system properly reflect that, with the right gender terms?

yeah it is weird to see "padishah sultan hurrem" maybe they can make a unique system about sultanate of women era which lasted nearly 130 years between 16th-17th centuries.

also in turkish there is no gender based titles like queen/king, prince/princess, they're all sultans and we never used "sultana" for women sultans. they should also be sultan, like hurrem sultan, kosem sultan, hatice turhan sultan. (<- they're all women which ruled empire in de-facto way)

the only difference is sultan title comes first for males like "sultan suleiman" or "sultan mehmed"
comes last for females like "nurbanu sultan" or "handan sultan".

Last edited:
Reactions:
"Ottoman Sultanate and Abdication are both paid features in the upcoming expansion which we have magically managed to keep unleaked name-wise."

I bet the real reason is because you haven't given it a name yet

yeah it is weird to see "padishah sultan hurrem" maybe they can make a unique system about sultanate of women era which lasted nearly 130 years between 16th-17th centuries.

also in turkish there is no gender based titles like queen/king, prince/princess, they're all sultans and we never used "sultana" for women sultans. they should also be sultan, like hurrem sultan, kosem sultan, hatice turhan sultan. (<- they're all women which ruled empire in de-facto way)

the only difference is sultan title comes first for males like "sultan suleiman" or "sultan mehmed"
comes last for females like "nurbanu sultan" or "handan sultan".

That's pretty cool actually. Also most of those girls are Greek or Russian, it's like the Ottomans were just a Turkish-speaking eastern european nation. Well I guess that isn't untrue.

Reactions:
That's pretty cool actually. Also most of those girls are Greek or Russian, it's like the Ottomans were just a Turkish-speaking eastern european nation. Well I guess that isn't untrue.
its pretty interesting to note that out of the 36 sultans only 6 actually had Turkish mothers. That makes them more European than Turkish.

Reactions:
its pretty interesting to note that out of the 36 sultans only 6 actually had Turkish mothers. That makes them more European than Turkish.

Genetics =/= Culture

Reactions: