• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 23rd of April 2019

Good day all. Today's a fairly brief Dev Diary, even by recent standards, as two of the five previous workdays were swallowed whole by Sweden's love for public holidays. To that end, I hope a good Easter day was had by all.

Last week I went over some Quality of Life suggestions that came up internally, and today I want to touch on one in particular detail. Again, these are not iron-clad promises of things to come. They are certainly improvements that we desire to make for the game, but or not that translates to being in our upcoming European Expansion and its accompanying update is for reality to dictate.

I mentioned at the end-of-year dev diary before that improving Custom Nation options was something we would like to achieve in said European release. Now a question that may come to mind is why this would be on the radar for our European expansion. Well Custom Nations remain one of the most popular choice for players. It has spent plenty of time as the number one choice in the past, although in the past months it has been playing second fiddle to France, see our handy nations chart:

Played Nations.jpg

No huge surprises here, except perhaps that England have fallen from grace, as they used to consistently be near the very top. These are most fun to observe when a release is done for a certain area, such as Rule Britannia, where England spiked like crazy.

What we see is that custom nations (D00 here) continue to stand the test of time, despite being added to the game with El Dorado back in February 2015. We have updated the designer with features as they have appeared, such as Consorts and ruler personalities, and updated the custom National Ideas as new modifiers have been added, but we feel there is still more that we can do.

In particular, myself and @Groogy have been looking at what we can do to boost the functionality of the custom nations feature, and something we both find lacking is that, while we have hundreds of sweet-looking unit models, there is no way to specify which ones your custom nation uses, leading to a fairly generic visual experience in battles. We may be dipping a bit into the HoI4 inspiration well with their way of previewing units for this.

unit previewer.jpg

In addition to a way to customize your unit models for your nation, I'd say we're due another pass of the available National Ideas for said custom nations. To the custom nation players out there, what would you really like to be able to tweak in your customized experience?

For those champing at the bit to see us move forward with development of the upcoming expansion, know that we are wrapping up this long period of tech debt. We have a couple more aspirations dev diaries to come, before we're likely going to return to our more regular dev diaries of showing off ongoing development.

While you are adding on to the custom nations designer can you fix the emblems being off center and maybe even fix the emblems not appearing on the small flags on the provinces?

Here's so Custom Nation idea: make them work as mini-scenarios that you can load and save, maybe share.

E.g. you open custom nation editor, click "Nation pack" or something button and select "Crusader Kings". Bam - Holy Land now has a couple of Christian Crusader states. Maybe also Assassins around Alamut. All with appropriate ideas and descriptions for said ideas. Or add Viking states to Greenland. Or Hyperboreans to Siberia coupled with Atlanteans on Azores and Lemurians in Ceylon. You get the idea.

Good day all. Today's a fairly brief Dev Diary, even by recent standards, as two of the five previous workdays were swallowed whole by Sweden's love for public holidays. To that end, I hope a good Easter day was had by all.

Last week I went over some Quality of Life suggestions that came up internally, and today I want to touch on one in particular detail. Again, these are not iron-clad promises of things to come. They are certainly improvements that we desire to make for the game, but or not that translates to being in our upcoming European Expansion and its accompanying update is for reality to dictate.

I mentioned at the end-of-year dev diary before that improving Custom Nation options was something we would like to achieve in said European release. Now a question that may come to mind is why this would be on the radar for our European expansion. Well Custom Nations remain one of the most popular choice for players. It has spent plenty of time as the number one choice in the past, although in the past months it has been playing second fiddle to France, see our handy nations chart:

View attachment 473429
No huge surprises here, except perhaps that England have fallen from grace, as they used to consistently be near the very top. These are most fun to observe when a release is done for a certain area, such as Rule Britannia, where England spiked like crazy.

What we see is that custom nations (D00 here) continue to stand the test of time, despite being added to the game with El Dorado back in February 2015. We have updated the designer with features as they have appeared, such as Consorts and ruler personalities, and updated the custom National Ideas as new modifiers have been added, but we feel there is still more that we can do.

In particular, myself and @Groogy have been looking at what we can do to boost the functionality of the custom nations feature, and something we both find lacking is that, while we have hundreds of sweet-looking unit models, there is no way to specify which ones your custom nation uses, leading to a fairly generic visual experience in battles. We may be dipping a bit into the HoI4 inspiration well with their way of previewing units for this.

View attachment 473430

In addition to a way to customize your unit models for your nation, I'd say we're due another pass of the available National Ideas for said custom nations. To the custom nation players out there, what would you really like to be able to tweak in your customized experience?

For those champing at the bit to see us move forward with development of the upcoming expansion, know that we are wrapping up this long period of tech debt. We have a couple more aspirations dev diaries to come, before we're likely going to return to our more regular dev diaries of showing off ongoing development.
I regret to be that guy but… I would really prefer the "European update" to stay the "European update". And not to become the "i put everything that i can put, and no one is happy".
D00 is Indeed the second most played nation; but 6 of the 10 first are European. Maybe it is enough to consider giving Europe a specific great expansion?

Being able to assign unit models would be great! In my CK2-to-EU4 AARs, I spend a lot of time modding text files to assign units to my imported nations, an easier way to do that for not just my tag but others would be delightful.

Firaxis Corp: DDRJake, "stand the test of time" is a registered Firaxis copyright
DDRJake: ohh well gentlemen it's just a small feature in our game
Firaxis Corp: and it's heading for a great big lawsuit, you made a great big mistake DDRJake
DDRJake: well, so did you, you got an ex-Green Beret mad
*violence*

One improvement I would like to see to custom nations is double stacking ideas, where you can have two different modifiers in one national idea like some country tags do. To balance it the additional idea can cost double points or something. This would help players cram a couple good modifiers in the beginning to help their start if they are small.

It’s very sad to not see Moscow Principality in top-10 most played nations.

I regret to be that guy but… I would really prefer the "European update" to stay the "European update". And not to become the "i put everything that i can put, and no one is happy".
D00 is Indeed the second most played nation; but 6 of the 10 first are European. Maybe it is enough to consider giving Europe a specific great expansion?

I agree, and I definitely hope that the devs don't repeat the whole Golden Pirate Century DLC fiasco where a so called """"Iberia update"""" was little more than glorified ahistorical mess for Pirate republic memes.

For me its being able to edit existing countries, I want to play a nation but in an alt history way. Like I want to play a Jewish Moldova or make Theodora a merchant republic.

Most my custom nations are essentially the premade ones with a "ia" or "s" at the end since the name is not allowed being the same, and with a government type change, religion change. It would also be nice to keep the idea groups from pre made nations.

Can you add a "historical friend/enemy" to the custom nation builder? I think at the cost of some points based on the size/power of the country, you should be able to try and prevent/cause likely allies/rivals.

I'd like to see more diversity in custom nation mission trees, but I can see how that would be hard. But I'm tired of making my custom Dutch nation and wanting to ally my best bud England/Austria to fight France, only to find Austria and England rival me and France loves me.

I whole heartedly agree, making the scope precise ensures that the final products contains a flavour of most materials considered. Dharma for instance introduced massive reworks to the indian subcontinent (resp. 3rd Rome for Russia) that would not have been possible if that update was not focused on it. Although it was arguably lacking in some aspects, at least the scope probably was correctly calibrated wrt the amount of dev time in it.
Conversely, RB probably had a too tiny scope, leading to compensating by overdetails and… weird stuff in general.
But for a paneuropean extension I'm sure that there's already more than enough to work on, no need to extend the scope even more.

Speaking of custom nations, I'd like to see random setup be a little more fleshed out. Adding random releasable nations, cores, vassals, personal unions, and alliances would make that setup a lot more flavourful. CK2 has a great random world generator, so it can't be impossible.

It would be really nice to be able to customize the diplomatic starting situation of your CN. You could be able to set starting alliances, vassals, guarantees, PUs and more at the cost of points.
Also being able to set starting cores/claims on other nations would be good.

These additions would improve the experience of playing as a CN and massively help us that use the nation builder to world build.

It would be interesting for custom nations to preset the relationships you start with. Use points to start with a royal marriage to someone or use more points to start with a vassal, etc.