• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 22nd of September 2016

Hello everyone, and welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. This time we take a deep look at something different we’re doing for 1.18. This time we are adding and improving features to four different older expansions.

First our is a new feature for Mare Nostrum, called Create Trading City! Now the Merchant Republics that has a Trade League will be able to create a new one-province-minor out of one of their provinces. This new nation will become independent, but part of their Trade League, and they will never leave that Trade League on their own. A Trading City is created from the province view like Client States are. You can decide upon name, shield and color just like creating them.

An AI Trading City will not expand, and there can only be one Trading City in each Trade Node for a Trade League. The government form of a Trading City is a republic with +33% Caravan Power & +10% Trade Efficiency.

eu4_115.png

The second feature is for El Dorado, where we have improved the Nation Designer. In 1.18, if you own both Rights of Man and El Dorado, you will now be able to define which personalities your ruler and heir has from the start.

eu4_113.png

The third feature is for Common Sense where we replace a feature that was obsolete, the Pause Westernisation option. Instead, owners of Common Sense will be able to have a better control of their institution spread when they increase development in a province. Increasing a 30 development city by 1, gives +5 to Institution Progress of the oldest institution not present in the province. It scales to +10 at 60 development, and down to +0.5 in a 3 development rural backwater.

eu4_114.png

And our fourth feature mentioned today Random New World from Conquest of Paradise. In 1.18 we’re adding lots of new tiles, increasing the total by over 37%. There are some tiles that are big enough to be a double-continent, like this familiar and fun territory. This tile was created by community member @Elzephor !

definitely not The Falklands.png

Of course, we’ve done quite a bit of bug-fixing, balancing and AI improvement to previous features. Next week, On TUESDAY, we’ll talk about launcher and multiplayer improvements.

Last edited:
Reactions:
maybe I'm missing something but what's the big advantage to create a Trading City instead of keeping the province for yourself?
A merchant republic can't have more than 20 provinces if they do it starts lowering their republican authority or what ever it's called and it scales so the bigger you are the faster it falls

have a bug u guys need to fix bad not sure where to post it so here im hopeing will work .
trying to intergrate hungray into my austria game was papal controlor and hre emp had the prosses about 60% dun after 20+ year into it lost the extra diplomat from papal chose that diplomat with 8k+ days on him to unassign .....

I merely have a question and any help would be greatly appreciated. I was wondering how exactly one goes about forming revolutionary republics or revolutionary empires. I've used suggestions on the wiki and on YouTube but every time I allow the "Revolution" disaster to trigger and allow my capital to fall to rebels nothing happens. The revolution just continues on, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to allow them to completely occupy my country to become a revolutionary republic as it states that upon success my government type will switch to a constitutional monarchy. Please help me figure out how to form revolutionary republics.

Definitely don't accept demands or let rebels enforce. You should get an event as soon as your capital falls to rebels.

Has the Revolution happened in any other country? Do you have Art of War DLC active?

Also, are there any negative ruler personality? Such as the bad traits in CK2, that lower one or more stats, or even add limitations.

Yes, there are negative personalities (e.g. 'Sinner' came up a few times in the developer multiplayer, giving a penalty to tolerance of the true faith). According to the OP, some event options will depend on personality like in CK2. It doesn't look like personalities will alter your main stats (ADM/DIP/MIL) or block any regular game action, though.

Last edited:
I don`t know if someone asked the question, but what happens if you buy this DLC and you miss one of the other 3 mentioned (MN,CS and Eldorado), do you still get this functions or not?

I don`t know if someone asked the question, but what happens if you buy this DLC and you miss one of the other 3 mentioned (MN,CS and Eldorado), do you still get this functions or not?

Mare Nostrum: Trading Cities is just for that DLC and not RoM (and you won't get it from RoM);
Common Sense: Institutions are part of the free patch and not DLC, so don't need RoM;
El Dorado: Ruler personalities is part of RoM so you need both;

AFAIK.

Reactions:
I just wanted to say I love that you went back to revamp outdated features and integrate newer dlc features into old ones to give them a fresh feel and help make the disparate parts of old dlc act more like a unified whole. I hope the trend continues in future releases. This really makes me feel like my money is well spent and I am getting ongoing value for my support. Great job!