• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 22nd of September 2016

Hello everyone, and welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. This time we take a deep look at something different we’re doing for 1.18. This time we are adding and improving features to four different older expansions.

First our is a new feature for Mare Nostrum, called Create Trading City! Now the Merchant Republics that has a Trade League will be able to create a new one-province-minor out of one of their provinces. This new nation will become independent, but part of their Trade League, and they will never leave that Trade League on their own. A Trading City is created from the province view like Client States are. You can decide upon name, shield and color just like creating them.

An AI Trading City will not expand, and there can only be one Trading City in each Trade Node for a Trade League. The government form of a Trading City is a republic with +33% Caravan Power & +10% Trade Efficiency.

eu4_115.png

The second feature is for El Dorado, where we have improved the Nation Designer. In 1.18, if you own both Rights of Man and El Dorado, you will now be able to define which personalities your ruler and heir has from the start.

eu4_113.png

The third feature is for Common Sense where we replace a feature that was obsolete, the Pause Westernisation option. Instead, owners of Common Sense will be able to have a better control of their institution spread when they increase development in a province. Increasing a 30 development city by 1, gives +5 to Institution Progress of the oldest institution not present in the province. It scales to +10 at 60 development, and down to +0.5 in a 3 development rural backwater.

eu4_114.png

And our fourth feature mentioned today Random New World from Conquest of Paradise. In 1.18 we’re adding lots of new tiles, increasing the total by over 37%. There are some tiles that are big enough to be a double-continent, like this familiar and fun territory. This tile was created by community member @Elzephor !

definitely not The Falklands.png

Of course, we’ve done quite a bit of bug-fixing, balancing and AI improvement to previous features. Next week, On TUESDAY, we’ll talk about launcher and multiplayer improvements.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Can there finally be inland seas in the random new world tiles where there obviously should be?

Also, you say that harems will be moddable, so does that mean it will be an option in custom nations?

Reactions:
I merely have a question and any help would be greatly appreciated. I was wondering how exactly one goes about forming revolutionary republics or revolutionary empires. I've used suggestions on the wiki and on YouTube but every time I allow the "Revolution" disaster to trigger and allow my capital to fall to rebels nothing happens. The revolution just continues on, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to allow them to completely occupy my country to become a revolutionary republic as it states that upon success my government type will switch to a constitutional monarchy. Please help me figure out how to form revolutionary republics.

Will this include, for instance, the ablity to independently develop feudalism/renaissance in the new world without reforming from a western neighbor?

Seems a bit weird as it's worded. It would be pretty cool if you could do that though by building up a 60 dev city in the new world.

That's clearly what it's for :cool: They get zero spread otherwise. Does create a sharp divide between 'good' NW nations (have gold in their capital) and bad ones. I suppose you could move it. But this is very good news for Cusco and the Aztecs.

Hey, that RNW looks like THE FALKLAND ISLANDS.

:D

Reactions:
37% is not "lots" when there were so few to begin with.... lots would have been "Added several thousand new tiles" and even that likely wouldn't be enough.... I love the idea of the RNG, the problem is it's not random and nothing is actually generated....

Reactions:
37% is not "lots" when there were so few to begin with.... lots would have been "Added several thousand new tiles" and even that likely wouldn't be enough.... I love the idea of the RNG, the problem is it's not random and nothing is actually generated....

While hundreds or even thousands of tiles in general would be awesome the creation of such a number would require a HUGE effort, considering your comment probably many times greater than you imagine. And Considering that the RNW is a special kind of feature which albeit very nice, i doubt every player even use, i very much doubt its something that would happen.

To be fair the RNW is a huge improvement of what we had before. I would assume that the reason for the change from generated to tiles is because its easier to make decent quality tiles than getting a random generation to do something the player think looks decent.
However its true that the actual generation of the RNW could use some improvements. One thing i personally would like to see was a greater concentration of Tiles in the mid region where North and South America normally is. So you have random tiles but the placement of them means most of the landmasses would be in more or less concentrated with the same distance to/from asia and europe/africa.

Reactions:
Hey Paradox, is it possible to add diplomatic options to the nation designer? (i.e. be able to create a custom nation and then create another nation that is it's vassal, or creating a nation that starts with an alliance to France, etc.) I know it may be overpowered, but just make it cost a crap ton of designer points!

Will Prussia get it's colour back from Victoria 2, the grey it has now just doesn't seem right

Rather disappointed that the Nation Designer still has no updates to have default diplomatic relations (truces, vassals, PUs, alliances, ect). But good to know old DLCs are bound to get some love.

Also, are there any negative ruler personality? Such as the bad traits in CK2, that lower one or more stats, or even add limitations.

Rather disappointed that the Nation Designer still has no updates to have default diplomatic relations (truces, vassals, PUs, alliances, ect). But good to know old DLCs are bound to get some love.
IIRC back when it wasn't released yet or soon after one of the devs mentioned that due to the way things work that would be exceedingly hard to do and prone to problems so it was never going to happen.

IIRC back when it wasn't released yet or soon after one of the devs mentioned that due to the way things work that would be exceedingly hard to do and prone to problems so it was never going to happen.

Doesn't seem too hard. Add a point cost for every alliance/marriage based on size of country you're married to, cost being reduced by, say, 25% for existing (non-custom) nations. Something like historical friends/enemies could also be made using that system.

As for subject relation (vassal/PU), being a Vassal gives you an extra amount of scaling points according to difficulty (10/20/40/60/80?), and, on PU, the same thing but escalating tweaked downwards (10/20/30/40/50).

HAVING a vassal/union could be based on what would be the point cost of creating a nation in that area, and making an existing (non-custom) nation your vassal is slightly cheaper (20%?). Also, Ironman-achievements limited to 1 custom nation only.

Now, if it's a code related difficulty, honestly doesn't seem to hard either. Modding a CN into the game - and making it have starting relations - is not hard at all. The big challenge in it is around making the rest such as localisation, ect. I can't know the inner workings of Paradox's stuffs in total detail, but from what I know, it doesn't sound nearly as bad.

I really like how you people continue to support and expand old DLCs, even if might not be the most financially sound thing to do. It shows a great deal of dedication and love for your games.

Reactions:
In regards to enhanced Custom Nations: Are leader personalities the only improvement, or are you adding other stuff? (Like the reinforce at no cost idea from hordes among others, unrestricting some stuff (Why can't I create a western tech horde?) or allowing us to spend points to start with PU's or vassals.)

Doesn't seem too hard. Add a point cost for every alliance/marriage based on size of country you're married to, cost being reduced by, say, 25% for existing (non-custom) nations. Something like historical friends/enemies could also be made using that system.

As for subject relation (vassal/PU), being a Vassal gives you an extra amount of scaling points according to difficulty (10/20/40/60/80?), and, on PU, the same thing but escalating tweaked downwards (10/20/30/40/50).

HAVING a vassal/union could be based on what would be the point cost of creating a nation in that area, and making an existing (non-custom) nation your vassal is slightly cheaper (20%?). Also, Ironman-achievements limited to 1 custom nation only.

Now, if it's a code related difficulty, honestly doesn't seem to hard either. Modding a CN into the game - and making it have starting relations - is not hard at all. The big challenge in it is around making the rest such as localisation, ect. I can't know the inner workings of Paradox's stuffs in total detail, but from what I know, it doesn't sound nearly as bad.
Code related yes, editing existing nations and copying things from existing nation to edit as a new custom were both barred on that aspect.

I don't think that is an useful comparison. Changing the game files directly and how much is required to create an interface ingame capable of making all the variations on that are completely unrelated things.

I mean you said it yourself modding a nation with all the things isn't hard but the Nation Designer in the initial way it was released with way less than it has now was mentioned to be the by far single most time consuming feature made since launch.