• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 21st of April 2020

Hey! Everyone I am sorry for this very late dev diary today but I had a mini-vacation this weekend and yesterday in order to participate in the Ludum Dare Game Jam. So let’s jump right into the new features.

First up is an addition to the Custom Nations Designer

upload_2020-4-21_14-20-47.png

We’ve reworked the underlying sprite pack system to make it a bit easier to work with, this also enabled us to make a feature that has been requested ever since nation designers were a thing. You can now pick and choose how you want your nation's armies to look.

Now some time ago we talked about the new Revolutionary mechanics coming with the Emperor and we mentioned that we weren’t happy with the effect of the Revolutionary Zeal. I think the phrase that I used was that they weren’t “sexy enough”.

upload_2020-4-21_13-58-3.png

So for one, we moved the Reform Progress Gain that the Revolutionaries would get to the Republican Tradition value to help both Republics and Revolutionaries. Instead we put Special Unit Force Limit there as we will be giving all Revolutionary nations access to a unique unit type.

The Revolutionary Guard

upload_2020-4-21_13-58-16.png

These are the most zealous revolutionaries in your armed forces. Formed to guard the nation against the reactionary threat of King’s and their lackeys. They can be built as Infantry, Cavalry or even Artillery.

These units can also be upgraded and made either more plentiful or be given more elite training for a higher cost.

pMjNHa-5Fs5Xju8sZkW6PFmbDfEWeGQc8il3A6w74mRQVm3ecZG-DI6A2HThUrvUKBSHHatstiejEZB7h7mxuo1oCiNSk0Ow1M1OQ1rXftVeCXpCVP61VTc4nVG0L0P_XKeZUJOf

Elite Revolutionary Guard Training
  • +2.5% Revolutionary Guard Discipline
  • +100% Revolutionary Guard Maintenance
  • -10% Special Units Force Limit
Professional Revolutionary Guard Training
  • -25% Revolutionary Guard Regiment Drill Loss
  • +50% Revolutionary Guard Maintenance
Mass Revolutionary Guard Training
  • +50% Revolutionary Guard Regiment Drill Loss
  • +10% Special Units Force Limit
Vanguard Revolutionary Guard Training
  • -10% Shock Damage Received
  • -10% Fire Damage Received
  • +50% Revolutionary Guard Maintenance
You can combine all of these together, however you want, the limitations that are there are if you have Cradle of Civilization and how high your army professionalism is. For example Elite Revolutionary Guard requires an army professionalism of 80. If you don’t have Cradle of Civilization then values get converted to other things.

Next week’s development diary will be focusing on the great Kingdom of Bohemia and the Hussites.

And before I leave you for today, here’s the cavalry unit from the best sprite pack now available in the nation designer.

upload_2020-4-21_13-59-2.png

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
The Chartist british republican flag was adopted in 1848, so it's not in the historical period of the game.
Actually according to a couple of seconds research I just did on Wikipedia, flags with those colours were flown at the Spa Fields Riots, Pentrich Rising and Peterloo Massacre, in 1816, 1817 and 1819 respectively. It also mentions the flag flown at Spa Fields was (top to bottom) Green, White and Red, so that could be an option for a flag which differs from the Hungarian one. Of course, that would rely on the game allowing horizontal tricolours.

I think it's kind of a cool idea to use the Sufferagette flag, in the absence of any viable alternative, but I'd much prefer something that feels more historical even if that does run the risk of matching another nation in the game. Even making up a new flag (Green, Blue and Red doesn't seem totally outside the realms of theoretical possibility) seems like a better option. The noble associations of purple feel particularly anachronous when applied to C18/19 revolutionaries.

Also, as an aside, the actual shade of purple used in the flag in the screenshot is particularly hideous, and doesn't appear to match the Sufferagette colours anyway.

Whig party colours were blue, orange and buff (yellow). The only reference to the whig and a possible british flag is this caricature of the time. No tricolore, but an Union Jack with orange background, the blue cross and the buff instead of white?.
Just trying to work within the confines of Rev. tags only get tricolours (if such a constraint truly exists):

x4leu3g.jpg

Create this in the nation designer and (badly) re-coloured it closer to their actual colours.
Really only the yellow needs changing imo the blue and orange are near enough.

Just trying to work within the confines of Rev. tags only get tricolours (if such a constraint truly exists):

x4leu3g.jpg

Create this in the nation designer and (badly) re-coloured it closer to their actual colours.

Probably to close to the french or dutch (it basically is the Prince's flag of the republic sideways) flag .

I see quite a few people have wondered about the British revolutionary flag. So we went through a lot of revolutionary flags and changed them for this update, in the case of the British one it looked very much like the French revolutionary flag (and the Russian flag) in a way that seemed very un-fitting for the UK. So we Content Designers sought a better one, and landed on the Suffragette flag. Admittedly it is not quite the right time period, but it is fitting both for the ideals it embodies and for it being different to other nearby countries that are likely to become revolutionary.

This is a disgusting abomination on so many levels!

Well, now we know why Great Britain was so opposed to the revolution :p

I see quite a few people have wondered about the British revolutionary flag. So we went through a lot of revolutionary flags and changed them for this update, in the case of the British one it looked very much like the French revolutionary flag (and the Russian flag) in a way that seemed very un-fitting for the UK. So we Content Designers sought a better one, and landed on the Suffragette flag. Admittedly it is not quite the right time period, but it is fitting both for the ideals it embodies and for it being different to other nearby countries that are likely to become revolutionary.
Could this maybe be because those colors actually have a meaning and therefore many nations chose it?

x4leu3g.jpg

It's very similar to the Romanian national flag. The use of three colours create flags similar to the actual national flags, but in others nations.
So the numbers of colours combinations is relative low and the colours create some awful aspects and confusion.
I think that the revolutionary flag for England shouldn't be a tricolour. I prefer a flag related to the English civil war.
I don't know why the whig party colour should be used for the revolutionary flag, parliamentary system is not a dictature with one party system.
Anyway, if I should used the whig colour for the flag, i prefer a flag like the previous historical illustration that remember the Union Jack, but with the whig colour:

Attachments

• omfb4h6z.jpg
    omfb4h6z.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Greatest-dev-thingy-info-ever. Who wants to know what the other Imperial Incidents are about, or how France will deal with its new vassals, or about Hussite denomination, when you can contemplate and admire the British suffragette revolutionary anarcho-liberal flag?

Let me quote myself, from a Dev Diary 3 years ago:

Yay, Nation Designer and UI improvements. So... what about that color picker? :rolleyes:

Which in turn was referring to a Dev Diary from 2015:

Improved Color Picking
This is something that is not yet done, but we hope to have done for 1.14. In addition to picking from a list of preset colors, I want to add the ability to choose your country's color from an in-game RGB picker, allowing for true color customization.

Just wondering how many more years you'll need to finish this feature.

Nice update; the option to choose flag colors for Revolutionary Nations is a nice touch.

Regarding the ability to choose sprites for Custom Nations: Can we choose different spite packs for each era, or just one set for the whole game?

Nice update; the option to choose flag colors for Revolutionary Nations is a nice touch.

Regarding the ability to choose sprites for Custom Nations: Can we choose different spite packs for each era, or just one set for the whole game?
You can't it was a theory I had. Turns out they just changed the default colors for Britain. Should be customizable though.

It's very similar to the Romanian national flag. The use of three colours create flags similar to the actual national flags, but in others nations.
So the numbers of colours combinations is relative low and the colours create some awful aspects and confusion.
I think that the revolutionary flag for England shouldn't be a tricolour. I prefer a flag related to the English civil war.
I don't know why the whig party colour should be used for the revolutionary flag, parliamentary system is not a dictature with one party system.
Anyway, if I should used the whig colour for the flag, i prefer a flag like the previous historical illustration that remember the Union Jack, but with the whig colour:
Similarities abound already, and it's not usually a huge problem, so long as there's some point of distinction. Like orange vs. red.

The radical wing of the Whig party were republicans but never gained much traction in the UK. They did however greatly influence goings on over the pond.

Will there be the functionality to use custom unit packs as an option in the nation designer? For instance, if I didn't want to use the country's flag colors to dynamically be used as the color of my nation's uniforms and instead wanted to use the ones provide by a downloaded mod.

Attachments

• steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.jpg
    steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.jpg
    84,7 KB · Views: 37