• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to another development diary about Europa Universalis. This time we have a feature for Common Sens, that is so large that it is spread over two weeks of development diaries. It is how we interact with your subject states.

In the subjects overview screen, there is now an additional button where you can open up an interaction menu with all your subjects.

Today we’ll talk about the tools you have regarding vassals, marches and lesser union partners.

Placate Local Rulers
This can be done on both vassals and marches, and lets you pay prestige (if you have positive prestige), to reduce the liberty desire of that subject by 10%.

Embargo Rivals
This is a toggle you can put on any subject. If it is on they will embargo all your rivals as quickly as their diplomats can travel. However, this increases their liberty desire by 5% while active.

Place Relative on Throne
This can only be done on vassals, and only when they have a regency. You can replace the regency with a ruler from your own dynasty.

Enforce Religion
This can only be done on vassals, unions and marches. This is possible if the subject is in your religious group, have less than 50% of Liberty Desire, and you have positive relations. Of course, this increases Liberty Desire by 50%, so its something you have to evaluate when it is desirable to do.

Scutage
This is a toggle that can be set to on or off on a vassal. When it is on, they will not be called into wars, unless declared war upon. However, they will provide 50% more of its income to you.

Subsidize Armies
This is a toggle in marches, where if on, you will send up to 10% of your manpower to them each month, to fill up their manpower pool.

Fortify March
This allows you to build or upgrade a fort in a march, where you as overlord fronts the build costs.

Enforce Culture
This is the option if you got some diplomatic power to burn. You can swap the primary culture of a lesser union partner to your culture for a power cost, but this is only doable if they are below 50% liberty desire and it will increase it by 50% as well.

Siphon Income
Unions usually do not provide money to their overlord, but history is full of rulers who took from one part of their realm to provide for another. This action lets you take 50% of a lesser union partners yearly income if you have positive relations. It will increase liberty desire by 10% but also reduce relations rather dramatically.

Support Loyalists
Unions don’t have any local ruler that needs to be placated, so instead you have a toggle where you spend 10% of their monthly income each month, while reducing liberty desire by 20% as long as its active.

FLyJU4U.jpg

Next week we’ll talk about protectorates, trade companies and colonial nations, and their unique actions.

These changes look good, but I think you need to remove the 60 base tax cap for Marches. Not being able to annex them is enough IMO. You're committing a diplo relation for most likely the rest of the game, you should get some real benefits.

As it is I've never seen a reason to make a march. If they're under 60 base tax I'll annex them, and if they're big enough that diplo annexxing isn't feasible I can't make them a march. That's where I'd want it most.

Maybe scale the bonuses down a bit, but the 60 base tax limit basically assures that what could be a cool feature is never used.

Marches no longer lose their bonuses when growing over the development limit.

Reactions:
Even if you don't have Art of War, you lose nothing at all.

Overall, i like the changes and the design direction.

Add a feature that enables Enrique (heir) to be made "that relative" and I will love you forever.

If we're talking about a certain Trastamara, that should raise Liberty Desire by quite a few dozens :p

Reactions:
Will it be moddable?

Will there be events subject <-> overlord?

Yeah that's what I wonder too.

Anyway, it's shaping up to be the biggest expansion yet so I am very happy. Can't wait indeed!

Excellent concept I think

Now I would wish for an option to transfer trade power from your vassals to yourself. With a cost, maybe less income transfer and of course liberty desire. It is something you can do even with non-vassalized realms, after all, so what is it in a vassal-overlord relationship that prevents this request from being valid? . That would simulate well the approach Merchant States would take on how to profit from "vassals".

Indeed I want/need a european trade vassal

Reactions:
One big question I have:

A somewhat weird issue is that vassal empires primarily get stronger through influence, however influence reduces diplo-annexing cost which seems counterproductive to somebody who is trying to form a vassal empire. Do you think we'll ever see some nation idea sets or regular idea sets shuffled around to make a vassal empire playstyle more viable? Right now the only way to use vassals is to get em big then eat them, then get to work on feeding the next pig.

Reactions:
good changes... question though:

As the AI has been programmed to use these new changes (confirmed by wiz). BUT is the AI now programmed to create marches and client states? please say yes :)

Seems strange that the human can do it but the AI cant.

I see Poland did it. I can say that some countries like Poland always make marches so yeah AI can do it.

who else have you noticed? Is the polish one not just there because it was given to them by default at game start... They didnt form it with their own AI logic.

Reactions:
Poland and I think Orissa start with marches, I've never seen the AI actually make a march.

ye thats because they cant. I hope the devs improve this instead off just adding stuff and forgetting the old problems..

Reactions:
This DLC is looking huge! So many game changes, and the improvements to subject interaction sound great (looking forward to hearing about the colonial/trade side of things next week). Keep up the good work, but be sure to give all these changes a good test before they go live :).

Reactions:
I wish there were some difficulty annexing a vassal- i.e. meeting certain requirements, etc. VeF had gone to the right direction in my opinion. Now it is just annex, wait, annex, wait and while waiting - don't get too much of them boys.

Reactions:
Marches no longer lose their bonuses when growing over the development limit.
One question a tad off topic.

Did you change Croatia´s political mapmode color? It has this ugly Green that looks like Ottoman green.

Reactions: